Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

cumshitter posted:

Dear TV Guide,

I never thought it could happen to me,

Actually, it was Cobra Commander's shrill, feminine voice and mannerisms that helped me become the gay man I am today. I have the GI Joe movie to thank for that. It's also why I named my son Cobra Commander when my ex-wife was passed out after labor.

You hosed up by not naming him Major Major Major.

ed: ouch, Major Major Major Major snype

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Major_Major_Major

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
No one should be forced to face the consequences of their actions. That's ridiculous.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

For a 160lb man to blow a .15, he'd have needed to have drunk 4 "standard" drinks, which amounts to three quarters of a bottle of wine assuming no time to process any of it (so probably more than an entire bottle over the course of the evening). That is loving druuuuuuunk, even the regular US limit is pretty high and he was at double that. Throw him to the loving wolves.
It's a high school party; they aren't drinking wine. A more realistic comparison of what actually happened is probably assuming he's drinking mostly straight liquor (maybe with a couple beers too), but doing it over the course of 3-4 hours. Based on a quick internet calculator, that's somewhere on the order of 10-12 shots or beers.

Which is even more holy poo poo absurd to think you're good to drive after that.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

there is a shocking amount of people who either come into professional schools with DUIs or get them while in school, it won't hurt his chances as much as his mom thinks. most state licensing boards have organizations that will evaluate him and determine if he needs to go to rehab and he'll probably be randomly drug tested for a few years but that's about it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

There are a lot of stupid decisions a teenager could make that I'd give something of a pass to. But driving drunk? Not so much. "Protect his future"? He sure wasn't protecting his own or anyone else's when he got behind the wheel. Too bad, so sad if it loses him a shot at a particular college, or lands him probation or some jail time.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

AngryRobotsInc posted:

There are a lot of stupid decisions a teenager could make that I'd give something of a pass to. But driving drunk? Not so much. "Protect his future"? He sure wasn't protecting his own or anyone else's when he got behind the wheel. Too bad, so sad if it loses him a shot at a particular college, or lands him probation or some jail time.
Better he gets consequences for it now and has an incentive to get his poo poo together in the form of probation, than he keeps doing it until he hurts or kills someone.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

You hosed up by not naming him Major Major Major.

ed: ouch, Major Major Major Major snype

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Major_Major_Major

In the same vein,

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

While his son's an incredible dumbass, he shouldn't be forced to ruin his life over a very bad decision he made at age 18. He's a kid and kids are dumb as balls. He's allowed to get a second chance and turn it around while he's still so young.

this is the exact same argument that brock lesnar's attorney and parents made to excuse his behavior after he was caught raping another student behind a dumpster at stanford fyi

driving at 3x the legal limit isn't a teenage oopsie, it's rolling the dice on manslaughter

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Sagebrush posted:

this is the exact same argument that brock lesnar's attorney and parents made to excuse his behavior after he was caught raping another student behind a dumpster at stanford fyi

driving at 3x the legal limit isn't a teenage oopsie, it's rolling the dice on manslaughter

Was he in UFC or WWE at that time?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that's a super weird brain fart because i don't even watch any fighting sports. cultural osmosis i guess.

brock turner

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I (28F) think the guy I'm dating (32M) has a victim complex about being a man.

Backstory. I've been dating (sort of dating/friends with benefits. Not boyfriend/girlfriend) this guy for 6 months. A couple times he has mentioned stuff about being a man and how men have ut bad in society. He mentioned a book called the Myth of male privelige. One time, he was insecure about something, and the way he told me was saying that men get insecure and have hurt feelings just as much if not more than women. I called him out on this, because I didn't see how his sex had anything to do with him telling me he was insecure. I told him that I understand the problems of men (eg society judging men for showing emotion etc etc), so he didn;t need to justify it. Anyway, I thought his obsession of bringing his gender into unrelated things was over. Though i realise he probably has felt disadvantaged in life for being male, and has also read a lot of stuff backing up these beliefs.

Anyway, back to a few days ago. I was joking about how hes 30 and should have his poo poo together, and he said "why? because I'm a man?". I said no, obvs not and left it. Later over text, I asked him if the reason he assumed that was because he has a victim complex. He then started talking about how women want successful men and are subconciously judging a man's success traits all the time. I was like,well men are always subconciously judging a womans fertilility. I.E everyone is subconcuously judging potential mates all the time. He then said "The pressure on men to be successful is MORE than the pressure on women to be fertile (ie youthful/beautiful". My thought - how on earth can you even compare the two? Men and women have different struggles, and I don't think you can always say one is worse than the other.

I felt angry, based on this and all the previous comments, so I responded "How on earth can you claim that? I can;t believe you would have such a toxic belief." essentially. He said he was half joking, but didn;t explain the "truth" side of things so I said I was still annoyed. Later on when he didnt reply, I apologized for being hard on him , as I realised I could have responded more calmly. Anyway, after having to message him after he failed to respond, he said he was very upset at my reaction, and I shouldnt have acted angrily. And so what if he has a victim complex, as that shouldnt matter. I said I would like to think be believes that gender does not define a person. He responded "It shouldn;t but it does. Look around you". Oh, I also said "I dont want you to resent me because I'm a woman" and he said "me neither.". Does this mean, that maybe he will resent me for being a woman under certain conditions?

He has ceased communication with me "to process" and I guess get over feeling upset,

Questions - Should I be sensitive to deeper issues? Is there something I am missing or should ask about? Is it fair of him to push me away after I was angry and apologized? Women - would you date someone like this??

TL;DR - guy I'm dating seems to think men have it worse in society in a lot of ways, eg more hurt emotions, more pressure for success, etc. I responded angrily over text when he said the pressure for men to be successful in dating is more than the pressure for a woman to be beautiful/youthful. He has pushed me out even thought I apologized for being angry, and maintains that gender shouldn;t define a person's value

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fatkraken posted:

"help, my significant other has a new habit that I find really annoying but I haven't told them I find it annoying and instead am stewing in constant simmering anger while they are utterly oblivious, is there some simple language-based solution to this seemingly impossible conundrum?"

I can see where the guy is probably coming from. If he's emotionally unavailable, using a jokey phrase like that is probably more comfortable for him. It can make you feel less vulnerable. I know I've done similar in the past because I have trouble with emotional honesty. I hate when people get upset at you for not communicating, then get upset about you not communicating "the right way", all while not communicating any of this. loving neurotypical people, I swear.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Yeah, most people are busier on the weekends with family/friends/sleeping/etc and many of us have plenty of time to kill during our workdays, which leads to significantly more posting volume in this thread and all over SA.
plus everyone's more stressed on work days which makes arguments break out more readily and over smaller and more ridiculous flashpoints, which is the secret to quality online community entertainment

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

MagusofStars posted:

It's a high school party; they aren't drinking wine. A more realistic comparison of what actually happened is probably assuming he's drinking mostly straight liquor (maybe with a couple beers too), but doing it over the course of 3-4 hours. Based on a quick internet calculator, that's somewhere on the order of 10-12 shots or beers.

Which is even more holy poo poo absurd to think you're good to drive after that.

See this is where drinking culture really confuses me.

Firstly I want to preface this with I think anyone drink driving is scum and I wouldn't ever drink anything if I knew I was driving regardless of the law.

That being said, I had a look on a chart and for a 160lb man that is about 7 drinks. However they define drink as "12 oz of beer" or "1.5oz of 80 proof liquor". In the UK we measure this in "units". So one shot is one unit, one pint of beer is two units.

8 units would be four pints, do you Americans really think that is super drunk? I drink 2/3 pints of cider on a Tuesday playing DnD with my friends, and the last time I went out drinking I definitely drank more than 4 pints of beer.

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly enough you should know that you shouldn't be driving, but if I went for a night out and drank 4 double whiskeys and coke, or 4 pints, that wouldn't be a particularly intense evening.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you may find this astonishing but the average teenager will get more drunk on less booze than you, who drinks "definitely more than 4 pints" in an average night out

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
My husband married my co-wife because we were told I was infertile. I love his second wife. Now I’m pregnant. What do I do?

quote:

I’m from a culture where it’s okay for husband to have up to four wives although it is not often done. When my husband and I got married he said he only ever wanted me. We got along great and we fell in love soon after the wedding. (Arranged marriage).

After trying for a child for a long time we found out I had diminished ovarian reserve and we would not get pregnant and IVF would most likely be futile round after futile round.

I was absolutely heartbroken I could not bare his children for him. He was more okay with this than I was. We discussed and reached the decision together for him to have a second wife as long as she would be a good fit for his life. For example, would she be okay living together with first wife (me)? Our religion says a second wife has rights to her own place.

We didn’t rush into anything and I actually found a girl who was interested and I introduced her to my husband. They got on well and I didn’t have very much jealousy and things are great.

They got married and we all live together. While there were ups and downs (just like my husband and I when we first got married) eventually things were great. We all lived together and our husband treats us both excellently. She soon became pregnant and we were all excited. Her pregnancy was hard but I looked after her. When baby came I was also a mother and love this child like my own. We all get on so well.

She now has a 4 and 2 year old to my husband. When we discussed our feelings once. She said she feels secure because she has been able to give our husband children. And I feel secure because I was his first wife.

However. I just found out I’m 8 weeks pregnant. I never expected this to happen. And really I am so happy. But I’m terrified how this is going to change our relationship dynamic. I am scared she will be hurt or our house hold might be split into two households and then I only get my husband 50% of the time with a newborn.

I briefly even thought of suicide or abortion but I’d never ever do this. Ive just really been in dark place and being really emotional. I really don’t want to hurt my co wife though. I don’t want to ruin our family dynamic. I also feel pressure of time. I haven’t told my husband or my cowife.

Please I really need advice.

————————————————-

EDIT: thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply. It’s really warmed my heart to see kind hearted replies and also that I’ve had people of other cultures reply too and in an understanding way. I’ve decided to have a talk with my husband and cowife about it and trying to be optimistic and excited.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Kitchner posted:

See this is where drinking culture really confuses me.

Firstly I want to preface this with I think anyone drink driving is scum and I wouldn't ever drink anything if I knew I was driving regardless of the law.

That being said, I had a look on a chart and for a 160lb man that is about 7 drinks. However they define drink as "12 oz of beer" or "1.5oz of 80 proof liquor". In the UK we measure this in "units". So one shot is one unit, one pint of beer is two units.

8 units would be four pints, do you Americans really think that is super drunk? I drink 2/3 pints of cider on a Tuesday playing DnD with my friends, and the last time I went out drinking I definitely drank more than 4 pints of beer.

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly enough you should know that you shouldn't be driving, but if I went for a night out and drank 4 double whiskeys and coke, or 4 pints, that wouldn't be a particularly intense evening.

The legal limit has to do with when you start to become impaired, not how drunk you feel.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Technically he was 15x the limit since for people under 21 it’s 0.0 in nearly every state.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So you're saying we shouldn't ruin that kids' life for actions that may have ended the lives of others

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I (28F) think the guy I'm dating (32M) has a victim complex about being a man.
You realllllllly chose the wrong website to ask for advice on this one lady.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Pinecone Sample posted:

My (24F) boyfriend (27M) keeps constantly saying 'vibe check' and it is seriously negatively effecting my loving 'vibe'

Take a cue from tumblr's approach. Next time he says it smash his head in with a baseball bat.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

coronatae posted:

Take a cue from tumblr's approach. Next time he says it smash his head in with a baseball bat.

but the one saying vibe check is also the one doing the batting

derra
Dec 29, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Technically he was 15x the limit since for people under 21 it’s 0.0 in nearly every state.

Uh, did you have a few before mathing this out?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

derra posted:

Uh, did you have a few before mathing this out?

100x the limit? gently caress I dunno what is it then?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You're multiplying by zero.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 10, 2019

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for calling the police on my kid?

you moron your daughter is a drug dealer youre loving up her money.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You're multiplying by zero.

Ok but then he’d be 0 over the limit!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My father (mid50s) refused to help me pay for my (mid20s) plane ticket home for the holidays. Is it unfair for me to stop speaking to him over this?

I'm 25 years old and moved across the country a year ago for law school. I moved out as a teenager and put myself through undergrad and law school with a combination of jobs and student loans. My parents are divorced. My mother has a middle class income and raised my two siblings alone. My father has an upper-middle class income and dodged child support through fraud (which I won't describe for anonymity reasons). Neither of my parents have contributed to my education and I pay for my own living expenses.

I have a job out here this upcoming summer and this winter might be the only chance I get to visit home for a long while. But I've been a hard up for cash and the round trip ticket home is over $1000. I had some unexpected expenses come up over the past few months (my laptop broke and I needed to replace it, had to travel out of town for job interviews etc.) and the idea of spending even more money is daunting. My law school loan provides me with a decent amount of money for living expenses/tuition. But that loan isn't free money, it's money I have to pay back and money that I pay interest on every month.

I know my mother is broke from supporting my younger brother and sister (who are both living with her while completing post-secondary), so I don't ask her for help. Instead I call my father and asked him if he could help pay for my ticket home. I honestly expected him to say yes. I never ask him for money. He lived at home into his mid 20s and his parents bought him a house. I figured he'd be at least sympathetic. But he tells me he absolutely won't help. He says that I'm lazy because I chose not to work this past summer and I shouldn't be asking for handouts when I don't do anything to help myself. He later calls my mother to tell her that she shouldn't even want me to come home because I'm a failure. My dad pressured me into going to law school, I went, am getting good grades and it's still not enough. Feels like poo poo.

I realize I'm a grown-rear end adult and neither of my parents are obligated to give me any financial help. And I know that ultimately, the choice to go to law school was my own + nobody else is responsible for helping me handle the challenges associated with it. But I'm honestly just homesick and overwhelmed with debt. I didn't work this past summer. But I've been working/in school since I was 14 and paying my own bills since I was 17. My mother was diagnosed with cancer right after I moved away last year (she's cancer-free now thankfully) and I wanted to spend my summer at home with my friends/family relaxing and recuperating from a nightmare year.

I still want to go home and see my family. But I don't really see a point in continuing a relationship with my father. He's expressed that he doesn't care whether I come home or not. He's told me he never intends to visit me if I build a life out here, despite the fact that he has both the time and money to fly out here. And honestly, he's just been consistently awful over the years (cheated on my mother repeatedly, knocked out two of my baby teeth as a kid etc. etc.) and this feels like a breaking point. Am I being petty and entitled if I just decide to cut all contact with my father?

tl;dr I'm currently putting myself through law school and want to visit home for the holidays. Money is a little tight right now and I asked my dad to help me pay for my ticket home. He refused, reamed me out for not having worked this past summer and proceeded to call my mother and tell her he doesn't care if I come home. I'm annoyed and want to cut all contact with him. I know I'm an adult and nobody else is responsible for taking care of my financial difficulties. But he's never paid child support for my siblings and I, I've been supporting myself and putting myself through school since I was 17 and he's generally just been awful to my siblings, mother and I over the years. Am I being petty and entitled if I decide to just stop speaking to my father altogether?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Actually, in most states, the limit isn't exactly zero. Since there are very minor trace amounts of alcohol in a number of legal foods/drinks/products, many (most?) states have set their limit at something like 0.01 or 0.02 - just enough that a kid won't get a DUI for rinsing with mouthwash or whatever before driving, but still low enough that even one alcoholic drink puts you firmly over the limit.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

Yeah, it's weird. The page has most people calling him the rear end in a top hat, and acting like it's totally normal. Which.... It's not

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for calling the police on my kid?

Calling the cops on your own kid you might as well just put a gun to their head, its safer

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

I'm wondering why the heck the kid was growing them in the same house as the psycho boyscout. Wasn't... The wisest plan

Should've got a trusted friend to hold them

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > /r/relationships: he probably has felt disadvantaged in life for being male

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My father (mid50s) refused to help me pay for my (mid20s) plane ticket home for the holidays. Is it unfair for me to stop speaking to him over this?

You should have already stopped talking to your piece of poo poo deadbeat dad. Think of this as a second chance to do the right thing.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for wearing a suit and no shirt as a groomsman?

I'm a woman and my guy friend from uni, James, got married today and asked me to be one of his 4 groomsmen.

When we were suit shopping there were only men's suits in the store, so I didn't get anything. James said that I could look elsewhere but because I live a few hours away and James had other wedding planning to do it would be impractical to find something with his guidance but we agreed I would send him a picture to get his approval.

I asked him what I should be looking for. His exact words were "use your common sense" followed by laughter. I asked if I should be looking for a suit or a dress because he knows I prefer suits to dresses but was willing to do whatever he asked because it's his wedding day. He says "so long as you like it and you stay on theme you're good" (the other groomsmen were wearing navy blue).

I found a navy blue pantsuit online. The model in the photo was wearing a white t shirt, so I sent the photo to James for approval and he said that was fine. I bought the pantsuit and t shirt. It took longer than it should have to arrive, and then I missed the delivery and had to wait to pick it up. I only actually got the suit 2 days ago, and I was lucky it fit as well as it did, tbh. It was a little tight in the trousers, so I bought different navy trousers to replace them, but the shirt and jacket fit great.

Day of the wedding (today) came. I showed up wearing the trousers and shirt, with the jacket in hand, and completely forgot my umbrella. Race through the rain into the house where everyone was getting ready. In the time between the car and the house my white shirt got completely soaked and was totally see through.

I got in the house, borrowed one of James' t shirts (a uni sweatshirt) and put my shirt in the dryer while I blowdryed my hair again. It gets to the last minute where we absolutely have to leave, my hair is fixed but the shirt is still too wet to wear and pretty transparent. I throw on the jacket, button it all the way up, I put on my heels, we get to the church, the ceremony goes off without a hitch (apart from the bit where James gets hitched).

We're at the reception when the maid of honour comes up to me. MoH asks why I'm not wearing a shirt. I explain what happened with my shirt. She says that's not a good enough reason and I should have come up with something, before saying "are you seriously saying there were not a single white shirt at James' place?". Truth is, there probably was, but I never thought to ask. She then says that the bride is really upset that I've shown up "practically nude" and that I should have gone out and bought a shirt if there was no alternative. I say that James didn't have a problem with it and it's not like I'm actually nude from the waist up, so I don't understand what the problem is. MoH leaves very angry, and I catch the bride side-eyeing me all night.

Was I the a-hole?

Info: I'm a little heavy up top so there was some cleavage but not an indecent amount. Boobs were almost totally covered, unless someone was standing right next to me and looking down, and even then it was like the very top of things and I was wearing a bra underneath.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Smirking_Serpent posted:

...And honestly, he's just been consistently awful over the years (cheated on my mother repeatedly, knocked out two of my baby teeth as a kid etc. etc.)...

Jesus Christ, the world's best archaeologists could've missed this buried lede

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Phi230 posted:

Calling the cops on your own kid you might as well just put a gun to their head, its safer

I remember reading a story where a kid took a car when though he'd been told he couldn't, so a family member called the cops to teach him a lesson. Cops killed him.

Tried to google it but I didn't find the example I remembered. I found lots of other similar cases though! I also found a very gentle, well thought out feel-good article about why it is a bad idea

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The drunk driving kid needs to experience consequences, and this is one of the times when evil makes good people into its accomplices. The US justice system is terrible, and letting someone fall prey to it isn’t morally far from just beating the poo poo out of them yourself, but that doesn’t make it not the appropriate action here.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Uncle Enzo posted:

I remember reading a story where a kid took a car when though he'd been told he couldn't, so a family member called the cops to teach him a lesson. Cops killed him.

Tried to google it but I didn't find the example I remembered. I found lots of other similar cases though! I also found a very gentle, well thought out feel-good article about why it is a bad idea
That article suggests it is a good idea, though

quote:

Although there may be times when you actually need to call the police on your child—such as safety concerns, illegal activity, or dangerous behavior

quote:

You also may need to call the police if you realize that your child has been involved in criminal activity. For instance, if you find stolen goods or evidence of a crime, contact the police. Failing to do so, could result in legal issues for you and other family members as well.
It's just saying don't call the police if they raise their voice or miss curfew or punch a wall (without genuine threat of harming others), because as dumb as the dad who called the cops on drug dealer step daughter is, at least he was calling about something the police would, theoretically, be appropriate for, unlike the people who call the cops because someone didn't do their chores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Pirate Radar posted:

The drunk driving kid needs to experience consequences, and this is one of the times when evil makes good people into its accomplices. The US justice system is terrible, and letting someone fall prey to it isn’t morally far from just beating the poo poo out of them yourself, but that doesn’t make it not the appropriate action here.
This. It's also super necessary to nip this in the bud before the drunk driver actually manages to hurt someone while driving drunk. Would you rather someone face the criminal justice system when they're looking at social stigma, probation, maybe some moderate jail time I guess, or when things are way more serious because someone is dead?

In a functioning justice system it would be a no-brainer, it's really unfortunate that our justice system is toxic enough there's legitimate reason for pause. I also think the focus on retribution and not rehabilitation factors into the whole 'oh well his entire life shouldn't be ruined because of this!!' stuff, because that's true but certain people only respond with that when it's someone they care about, not considering how our criminal justice system grinds people up for minor to moderate offenses and impacts their lives even past when they've served their time. But while those are all super important things to talk about... in the case of someone driving around drunk, sometimes you've got to contact the people with the ability to legally order them to go into rehab or be on probation or not drive.