Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Desiden posted:

So is this contractor still getting work from WOTC, or has her shittiness just come to light recently? Was thinking about getting some 4e pdfs, but I'd rather not toss (admittedly piddling) money to WOTC if they're tossing work to known bigots.

Whether WotC hires Nielsen again is up in the air but Mike Mearls is still on staff so uh don't buy D&D books if you don't like funding bigots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Desiden posted:

So is this contractor still getting work from WOTC, or has her shittiness just come to light recently? Was thinking about getting some 4e pdfs, but I'd rather not toss (admittedly piddling) money to WOTC if they're tossing work to known bigots.

They're still employing Mike Mearls, so, keep your money.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

mllaneza posted:

I'll just drop this here for context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n5VYO_gitw
Man I just had a big dinner and this is still making me hungry.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

the contractor is a terf

What, specifically, has Nielsen said or done? I've tried looking into the situation before, but every time I've tried I've only found vague, often second-hand information. (Which doesn't mean it's not real, just that people need to get better at documentation.)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's a Blessed Place.

I thought you were going to link to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re_ySaX8TFI

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

LatwPIAT posted:

What, specifically, has Nielsen said or done? I've tried looking into the situation before, but every time I've tried I've only found vague, often second-hand information. (Which doesn't mean it's not real, just that people need to get better at documentation.)

Ah, the story of Milkshake Duck. First, people noticed her professional artist twitter account was retweeting a lot of alt-right conspiracy stuff, among other garbage. Here's a thread with a lot of it.

https://twitter.com/wizardbumpin/status/1030090494179721217

Then people started saying, hey, Terese Nielsen, what the hell. Basically, the kind of offended that generally blows over pretty fast, and it was probably gonna... until she wrote a letter with a picture of a patient angel on top, saying that people hated her for her deeply held faith, but she had the strength of character to rise above the haters. She was simply a Seeker of Truth, traveling life's long and winding paths and spreading the ideals of, "beauty, compassion, and love," by promoting the words of white supremacists, TERFs, and that project Veritas guy. This really got up the nose of trans people, who got pretty upset when she explained that disagreeing on whether or not they exist is a political distinction that can be ignored. That's why today she's known as a Terf, while the attacks on the media, the infowars poo poo, and the pizzagate stuff all kind of faded away. When someone you used to respect says that your human rights are a matter of opinion, you tend to take it a bit personally.

She's nuked most of her twitter history, but there are some pretty awful screenshots out there if you feel like digging them out.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 10, 2019

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Mystic Mongol posted:

Ah, the story of Milkshake Duck. First, people noticed her professional artist twitter account was retweeting a lot of alt-right conspiracy stuff, among other garbage. Here's a thread with a lot of it.

[...] This really got up the nose of the transgendered, who got pretty upset when she explained that disagreeing on whether or not they exist is a political distinction that can be ignored. That's why today she's known as a Terf, while the attacks on the media, the infowars poo poo, and the pizzagate stuff all kind of faded away. When someone you used to respect says that your human rights are a matter of opinion, you tend to take it a bit personally.

Thanks!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Dawgstar posted:

Their hash browns are simultaneously extremely mediocre and life-sustaining on a primal level.

I feel this in my soul.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
WotC, like a lot of companies, talks a good game for PR purposes and then does a bunch of absolutely stupid bullshit that reminds you, oh yeah, they still suck don't they. Mike Mearls being yanked off of twitter by a giant novelty vaudeville hook is kind of funny, but at the same time he's still drawing a paycheck despite demonstrably sending concerned emails about a known harasser to that same harasser to write down on his enemies list, so they absolutely do not deserve even the slightest benefit of the doubt for anything that looks even a little bit hinky.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

what happened with mearls and twitter?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
transgendered is not a word, and "the transgendered" is ESPECIALLY not a group

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Mystic Mongol posted:

She was simply a Seeker of Truth, traveling life's long and winding paths and spreading the ideals of, "beauty, compassion, and love," by promoting the words of white supremacists, TERFs, and that project Veritas guy.

Look, I'm a fantasy artist. I was only at that meeting doing research on wizards

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Arivia posted:

transgendered is not a word, and "the transgendered" is ESPECIALLY not a group

What should I change them to?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

During the 5e playtest, when people saw that Mike Mearls brought on Zak S, who is summoned exactly like Beetlejuice, and at that time was known as a virulently toxic serial harasser and all around massive bigot, they were concerned about the presence of the Sealion King and privately spoke to Mike Mearls about it, who proceeded to tell the internet that he wanted people to privately send him emails about their experiences with Zak S so he can do something about it.

A short time later, Mike Mearls announces to the internet that he talked about the issue with Zak S personally and boy oh boy, Zak S said he did nothing wrong so as it turns out, Zak S is in fact, innocent on all charges.

It's incredibly easy to conjecture from here that he showed Zak the emails.

And as it turns out, mysteriously and coincidentally, the people who emailed Mearls got threatening emails from people who definitely weren't the Volunteer Zak S Defense Squad. Hm....

EDIT:

Mystic Mongol posted:

"trans people" works perfectly fine

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mystic Mongol posted:

replace the transgendered with trans people here and hereafter

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

NachtSieger posted:

During the 5e playtest, when people saw that Mike Mearls brought on Zak S, who is summoned exactly like Beetlejuice, and at that time was known as a virulently toxic serial harasser and all around massive bigot, they were concerned about the presence of the Sealion King and privately spoke to Mike Mearls about it, who proceeded to tell the internet that he wanted people to privately send him emails about their experiences with Zak S so he can do something about it.

A short time later, Mike Mearls announces to the internet that he talked about the issue with Zak S personally and boy oh boy, Zak S said he did nothing wrong so as it turns out, Zak S is in fact, innocent on all charges.

It's incredibly easy to conjecture from here that he showed Zak the emails.

And as it turns out, mysteriously and coincidentally, the people who emailed Mearls got threatening emails from people who definitely weren't the Volunteer Zak S Defense Squad. Hm....

oh yeah, i'm already aware of all that poo poo with zak. kai tave made it sound like he'd been recently kicked off twitter or told to shut up by his bosses or something

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Brother Entropy posted:

Basically, it came out that Zak was a rapist and domestic abuser in addition to the various bad things that everyone knew he was. Mike Mearls posted a terrible tweet about it:
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/1095486649977384960

Given Mearls's history (as described by NachtSieger above), that didn't go over well. So Mike Mearls basically stopped tweeting entirely after posting that, probably on the advice of his employers.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Arivia posted:

replace the transgendered with trans people here and hereafter

Righto, thanks.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

oh yeah, i'm already aware of all that poo poo with zak. kai tave made it sound like he'd been recently kicked off twitter or told to shut up by his bosses or something

Oh, the recent Twitter stuff. It's not a lot. Basically, Zak got outed as a rapist, oops, and people swarmed on Mearls like a locust swarm that instead of devouring your crops, demands that you take accountability for defending a rapist. He was mysteriously silent for a long time until he made the mother of all spineless mealy mouthed PR responses, and then proceeded to gently caress right out of Twitter after saying literally nothing, only to reappear to talk about Larian Studios doing Baldur's Gate 3, whereupon he proceeded to disappear into the mists again.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mystic Mongol posted:

Righto, thanks.

Thank you, too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NachtSieger posted:

Oh, the recent Twitter stuff. It's not a lot. Basically, Zak got outed as a rapist, oops, and people swarmed on Mearls like a locust swarm that instead of devouring your crops, demands that you take accountability for defending a rapist. He was mysteriously silent for a long time until he made the mother of all spineless mealy mouthed PR responses, and then proceeded to gently caress right out of Twitter after saying literally nothing, only to reappear to talk about Larian Studios doing Baldur's Gate 3, whereupon he proceeded to disappear into the mists again.

Yeah I'd forgotten Mearls had me blocked but I guess he blocked me during that period because he didn't like getting called out on his bullshit. Lol slimy fucker.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah Mearls used to be a very regular tweeter until his extremely lovely and milquetoast "apology" for his part in putting a known harasser, and now known abuser and rapist's, name in his version of D&D and ever since then he's been completely silent. You could, if you wanted, speculate that someone higher up the food chain than him told him to go radio silent for PR purposes or maybe he made the decision of his own volition, either way he's a coward and a shithead who facilitated Zak's harassment of people despite plenty of evidence and only eventually went "whoops, my bad" when Mandy's account of her abuse at Zak's hands was made public. As far as I'm concerned WotC's apparent decision to not fire him in the aftermath of this suggests to me that they hope to let this all just blow over and go on like nothing happened.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Brother Entropy posted:

When he tweeted some limp bullshit people jumped up his rear end about Zak and he hasn't been seen since

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I've heard a version of this story which adds a fact which, if true, would explain a lot: Zak is in the habit of getting the people he works with to sign non-disparagement agreements.

A sensible person wouldn't sign such agreements, but, honestly, I could believe that Mearls and Swedracula didn't qualify.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

A reasonable person also wouldn’t want to work with him to begin with so pretty much self-selecting

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rand Brittain posted:

I've heard a version of this story which adds a fact which, if true, would explain a lot: Zak is in the habit of getting the people he works with to sign non-disparagement agreements.

A sensible person wouldn't sign such agreements, but, honestly, I could believe that Mearls and Swedracula didn't qualify.
:wtc: Does this guy actually have Presence dots in real life to convince people that it is a good and cool idea to sign a document saying they cannot disparage him before working with him in the thousandaire-laden landscape of roleplaying game manuals?

Wait a minute, doesn't he make his day job money doing art or at least art sales?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I cannot believe he got anyone at loving Hasbro to sign a ND for him to be a special thanks playtester, even someone as consistently incompetent as Mearls.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I mean, in all likelihood Swedracula hired him because he was controversial. Angry press is still press and he's a time traveller from 1990 when putting a vampire with a strapon on the cover of your book meant you were being progressive.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nessus posted:

:wtc: Does this guy actually have Presence dots in real life to convince people that it is a good and cool idea to sign a document saying they cannot disparage him before working with him in the thousandaire-laden landscape of roleplaying game manuals?

Wait a minute, doesn't he make his day job money doing art or at least art sales?

He's a trust fund baby.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Yeah, no, I'd chalk it up entirely to being drastically allergic to admitting fault in anything that isn't 1000000% going to go against them in actual real court rather than some weird Zak mind control

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Kurieg posted:

I mean, in all likelihood Swedracula hired him because he was controversial. Angry press is still press and he's a time traveller from 1990 when putting a vampire with a strapon on the cover of your book meant you were being progressive.

As someone who's been eviscerated by the WoD Stan Squad who says WoD was NEVER as bad as V5, bless you for this post.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

NachtSieger posted:

including people who used throwaway emails that they had used for literally nothing else before or since

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's a personal theory that also the reason Mearls doesn't come back to Twitter is he knows nobody's forgotten and will pounce on him when he makes even the blandest of statements like "how about those D&Ds everyone?"

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Dawgstar posted:

It's a personal theory that also the reason Mearls doesn't come back to Twitter is he knows nobody's forgotten and will pounce on him when he makes even the blandest of statements like "how about those D&Ds everyone?"

I suspect it's a blend; WotC is waiting until this blows over but keeps noticing it's not blown over yet because every time there's any feedback on 5e it features a segment of people going "Why are you still employing Mike Mearls?". They should've just gone "Wow, yikes, we had no idea, our bad!" and at least it'd have probably died down after a while. As it is, given literally nothing happened over it, it's completely live and will be indefinitely.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

spectralent posted:

I suspect it's a blend; WotC is waiting until this blows over but keeps noticing it's not blown over yet because every time there's any feedback on 5e it features a segment of people going "Why are you still employing Mike Mearls?". They should've just gone "Wow, yikes, we had no idea, our bad!" and at least it'd have probably died down after a while. As it is, given literally nothing happened over it, it's completely live and will be indefinitely.

I am sure that it is just a matter of the sales numbers still being good. Getting people to not buy D&D 5th is good but unless a lot of people currently buying d&d stop, I doubt WotC is going to do anything.

Critical Role being on Amazon will definitely help keep Mearls in his job.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am sure that it is just a matter of the sales numbers still being good. Getting people to not buy D&D 5th is good but unless a lot of people currently buying d&d stop, I doubt WotC is going to do anything.

Sure, but Mearls is also never posting on twitter again; it'd stir the pot they don't want stirred, and missed their moment to deal with quickly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

As somebody I saw pointed out complaining that now it's two bad companies Critical Role has worked with, the correct answer is three.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I at least said on my 5e survey that I had no intention of buying 5e product until Mike Mearls was loving gone and would encourage my friends to do the same, but hahahahha implying that'll do anything.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the real challenge is finding Mearls's alt account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

the real challenge is finding Mearls's alt account

Someone call up Feinberg and tell her to get on it.