Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

teen witch posted:

AITA for saying my manger should come to work despite a death?

Hmm on the one hand justified revenge, particularly against management. On the other hand, is this a case of crab-bucketing? Generally I try and be happy for people (real people, not the rich) who may have it better than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Really grossed out by my [F30] husband [M33] after finding his stash of old used cum rags

quote:

This is so loving stupid and I’m embarrassed.

I never really go into my husband’s nightstand. No reason. But two weeks ago I was looking for a flashlight and in his drawer was a stash of old, used cum rags. Like 5 socks, two old pairs of underwear, and a bunch of hand towels. All of them were crusted together with old cum stains. Y’all, my stomach turned. What the gently caress?

I threw all that poo poo in the trash and put a box of tissues and toilet paper in there. I texted him while he was at work and said something along the lines of:

“Hey, I was looking for a flashlight in your nightstand and uh, the bottom drawer was kinda gross to be honest. I’m putting tissues in there for you so... you get the idea. NBD just be a little cleaner about it. Don’t need to bring it up again.”

He responded: “Eek, ok, sorry lol.” He didn’t mention anything when he came home but he was acting quiet and embarrassed.

Listen. I’m fine with him masturbating. I probably do it more than he does. We’re open, but also kinda private about it. But I’m loving grossed out by those nasty old smelling loving rags and every time I look at him I can’t help but think about it. Like, this is a 33 year old married man, not a teenager. I shouldn’t have to tell him not to hoard old crusty cum rags. He’s pretty clean otherwise (just has some clutter) and we have a pretty solid relationship. But man, did that kill a lot of the attraction I have for him. How the hell do I get over this?

TL;DR: Found a stash of my husband’s cum rags and now I am pretty turned off of him.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

teen witch posted:

Hi let’s get into fights about this deadly cold post

guillotine the csm

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
on one hand managers aren't human but on the other hand goddamn their mom died, what, you want the boss around more? are you insane?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Why doesnt that guy just jerk off into a coffee cup like everyone else

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

bird with big dick posted:

Why doesnt that guy just jerk off into a coffee cup like everyone else

You can only do that so many times before you get banned from Starbucks for life

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Uncle Enzo posted:

Hmm on the one hand justified revenge, particularly against management. On the other hand, is this a case of crab-bucketing? Generally I try and be happy for people (real people, not the rich) who may have it better than me.

no, it is not crab-bucketing to force management to bear the consequences of the policies they ruthlessly enforce

this isn't like the dude who made it so no one could eat in the office bc he's petty, this manager carelessly crushed OP at a time she needed space, all over a loving grocery store job that anyone can do in a pinch - no one is so valuable to the grocery store team that you can't make up for it. a good manager would have given her the time off and space to return.

this is just deserts for abuse of power and petty tyranny.

OP will find another job.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 10, 2019

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Uncle Enzo posted:

Managers can and do bend the rules when it's convenient for them. Case in point: She did it for herself. Class traitors can grieve while they work if efficiency is so drat important.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I saw someone in a thread not long ago saying they don't understand the blue collar/white collar worker split and that white collar workers 'don't bear the same resentment' towards blue collar workers as vice versa, and I'm here to tell you that white collar folks and management know exactly what they are doing and many will happily throw their entire team of workers under a bus for another bonus or vacation for themselves, 100%

it isn't some instance of people just randomly hating their own and crab-bucketing because they don't know any better and work against their own interests, blue collar workers hate management in this way because management treats them as a resource instead of people. a good manager tries to overcome this by working to address everyone's concerns and trying to make everyone feel a part of the team, a bad manager indulges in it and revels in being in control. If you enjoy moving people like pawns across a chessboard, eventually they'll flip your board.

this is people learning why kings get deposed

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 10, 2019

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The manager hosed the op over when she was in a even more vulnerable place so gently caress her, I wouldn’t try to be empathetic either.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
No action against a manager who denies your bereavement is cruel or unjust.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I saw someone in a thread not long ago saying they don't understand the blue collar/white collar worker split and that white collar workers 'don't bear the same resentment' towards blue collar workers as vice versa, and I'm here to tell you that white collar folks and management know exactly what they are doing and many will happily throw their entire team of workers under a bus for another bonus or vacation for themselves, 100%

it isn't some instance of people just randomly hating their own and crab-bucketing because they don't know any better and work against their own interests, blue collar workers hate management in this way because management treats them as a resource instead of people. a good manager tries to overcome this by working to address everyone's concerns and trying to make everyone feel a part of the team, a bad manager indulges in it and revels in being in control. If you enjoy moving people like pawns across a chessboard, eventually they'll flip your board.

this is people learning why kings get deposed

white collar workers are 100% to the man aligned with capital. they are no better and deserve the guillotine just as much as any billionaire

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

carry on then posted:

white collar workers are 100% to the man aligned with capital. they are no better and deserve the guillotine just as much as any billionaire
You seriously think all office workers should be executed?I didn’t know we had any former members of the Khmer Rouge government posting here.

iustorum_anime
Apr 4, 2016

I [M24] haven’t heard from my fiancée [27F] in a day, number blocked this morning

quote:

Hello all,

Yesterday my fiancée had a baby shower for her sister with her family 4 hours away. I decided to stay home to visit my family in town who I haven’t seen in a couple weeks including a relative who is from out of state. I went to a college football game with a friend first, then there after.

I texted her shortly after she left saying how much I missed her already and to let me know when she is safely there (we spend a lot of time together, if not at work we are together as we share an apartment). I sent her some Snapchats too of what I was up to. She only responded “Stop,” on Snapchat after receiving them. She has opened, but not responded to, all my Snapchats since then of a few more pictures of my family and two videos expressing my desire to talk with her and goodnight. I also texted her saying, “Can we talk? I notice you are distant and I love and care about you. I want to understand what’s going on,” last night as I got home to sleep. Still nothing

It’s the next morning now and it’s been almost a full day. This has never happened between us before. I text her good morning and it was not delivered, which makes me think she blocked my number. I don’t know what to do now. I don’t know when or if she will be home today, though she has work tomorrow. She is at her parent’s, and I have their Facebook/phone information. I want to text her Mom saying I am worried about her. I feel like a crazy person through all this. I can’t sleep, I can’t eat. I just want to do anything to pass the time until she is home.

What advice or perspective can you give me? I’m sure I am missing out on a lot of detail here but I’m not in the right state of mind honestly. I am scared for the sake of our relationship. We have been together for a year and 3 months, engaged for 2 months.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

chemtrail huffer posted:

I [M24] haven’t heard from my fiancée [27F] in a day, number blocked this morning

Well, that’s fuckin weird. Either unreliable narrator, and he’s leaving out his hobby of murdering dogs or something, or she’s really abruptly cheating on him

My money is on the former

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Well, that’s fuckin weird. Either unreliable narrator, and he’s leaving out his hobby of murdering dogs or something, or she’s really abruptly cheating on him

My money is on the former

It sounds like he might be smothering her, between all the messages and saying they basically spend all their non-work time together.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Maybe super overbearing and needy? Dude sent a barrage of messages within hours of their separation which is presumably only going to last a weekend. Then he doubled down and sent even more after he got the message to stop.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, I quickly got the impression that's separation anxiety from a major clinger. Quite possibly she's finally spending some time away and realising how exhausting constant need for attention is.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It sounds like he might be smothering her, between all the messages and saying they basically spend all their non-work time together.
This, but there’s also probably some unreliable narrator going on.

Given that they’ve been together 15 months, I’d guess she told him to chill the gently caress out a bunch of times already, then this was just the straw that broke the back to “ugh, I’m over this poo poo, just blocking him”.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

teen witch posted:

Hi let’s get into fights about this deadly cold post
No fight needed, manager gets bitchmade in return.

The only thing is that the worker should document the manager's actions against 'em and go to the union/csm if it becomes retaliation.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MagusofStars posted:

This, but there’s also probably some unreliable narrator going on.

Given that they’ve been together 15 months, I’d guess she told him to chill the gently caress out a bunch of times already, then this was just the straw that broke the back to “ugh, I’m over this poo poo, just blocking him”.

The fact they just got engaged two months ago makes me wonder if there were those warning signs. Unless he was constantly haranguing her about it.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Lol. Don't most people in the US spend like $3000 or less on an engagement ring? Pretty sure I read that a while back. :laugh:

My wife's engagement ring was like $200, and she liked it so much, she wanted it to be her wedding band too.

Her proposal complaint was that I did it in a parking lot, but in my defense, when I asked her to step under the mistletoe arch in the Christmas village spot at the zoo date we were on, she said "I'm not getting under mistletoe. Kissing under a poisonous plant is the dumbest loving tradition" so :v:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

life is a joke posted:

She's not wrong but that sounds like a conversation roommates would have - not necessarily the content, but the tone of some of these relationships just sound so dry and plain. Sorry to sound like im defending the honor of cumrags but im not, I just get so sad at these kind of "we generally get along fine" marriages... that text is like an FYI work email and I can't imagine how joyless my life would be if I felt that guarded around my ~life partner~.

It's horribly goddamn depressing, but there's so many people out there, women especially but men too, who are like "I'm 28 and I'm getting old, maybe it's time to meet someone and start a family" and they get into the least successful partnerships imaginable which started solely out of inertia and convenience. One of several reasons why we see nonstop stories about poor flabbergasted ladies married to pathetic garbage dudes who spend 98% of their time outside of work playing video games and refuse to change a diaper or hold their kid for 5 minutes.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 10, 2019

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for not cooperating with my dad when he calls the cops on me

quote:

I (17F) have gotten the cops called on me by my parents three times now. I think each time was completely unjustified whereas my dad thinks it was completely reasonable.

So here’s a description (in my memory) of each event and I was wondering if I was the rear end in a top hat in some of these situations for not cooperating with my dad.

The first time I was 8. My mom used to lock me out of the house when I was younger for breaking her rules. After school everyday if I didn’t finish my lunch she would lock me in the backyard with my food and I was allowed in until I finished. One day I guess I just got sick of it and rather than shoving food in my mouth while crying, I just went and sat on my swing set and started screaming. My dad called the cops on me for “causing a neighborhood disturbance” and the cops came and told me that I had to go in the house. I didn’t tell them the full situation because I was scared.

Second time it was the day before my 11th bday. I had wanted to walk to piano class and my mom got mad at me because she wanted to drive me to class. So anyways we got into an argument and she eventually told me to walk to piano class and then not come back because no one would open the door for me. So I went to a friend’s house after class and she got scared and called the cops. My dad didn’t believe my side of the story and didn’t talk to me for months.

The third time was recently. My parents and I got into an argument and I said I wanted to go to sleep (it was 7PM) so that we could all cool off and not be mad each other. Dad got mad at me and said that it was too early to sleep so I said I would go for a walk instead (it was raining and cold outside). So I went and came home after about 15 minutes and my dad called the cops on me for “acting insane.”

I got really mad at him for that after because he told the cops he wanted to take me to the ER to make sure I was “ok.”

Anyways, am I the rear end in a top hat for not cooperating with him and for not appreciating him for taking me to the ER to make sure I was ok even though I thought it was unnecessary?

Edit: I guess the reason I can’t get out of this situation is because sometimes I don’t want to. We’re so 100% normal so often. My dad and I go to the gym every Saturday and go to Starbucks right after and sit there and talk about our week and our goals for the next week.

Additionally, the third incident, recently, was completely forgotten about the next day. The next day was Diwali and we’re practicing Hindus so it was like we all mentally agreed to move on and be a happy family for Diwali.

So I guess when we have incidents like this, I kind of just, wait for it to blow over and then we go back to pretending everything is normal for at least another month.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

did y’all see the vibe check bf

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

There’s no way in hell this family isn’t white

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Not saying there’s no white Hindus but it seems pretty unlikely that this family is.

Fair enough. The mindset of the police being a helpful force in getting a young kid in line is so alien to me.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 10, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

DemoneeHo posted:

Very cool and effective parents who are definitely not going to hear from their son daughter ever again the second she graduates from college.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 10, 2019

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

My (24F) boyfriend (27M) keeps constantly saying 'vibe check' and it is seriously negatively effecting my loving 'vibe'

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DrManiac posted:

There’s no way in hell this family isn’t white

quote:

Additionally, the third incident, recently, was completely forgotten about the next day. The next day was Diwali and we’re practicing Hindus so it was like we all mentally agreed to move on and be a happy family for Diwali.

Not saying there’s no white Hindus but it seems pretty unlikely that this family is.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for asking my sister to stop telling my kids that they should get straight A’s in school so they’ll have a lot of money when they grow up, especially since she herself has money mainly because she married a rich guy?

My family comes from a middle class background, but my younger sister Nicky married into old money and now lives a very comfortable lifestyle. She and her husband Joel don’t have children yet, and they love to spoil my kids, who are 6 and 4.

My problem is, every time Nicky and Joel buy my kids gifts or takes us on vacation, Nicky tells them that they should study hard and get straight A’s in school so that they’ll have a lot of money to buy the things they want when they grow up.

I don’t want my kids to feel pressured to excel academically, because that’s what my parents did with me and Nicky and I hated it. I also don’t want them to grow up materialistic or think that money is the most important thing.

The tipping point for me was when my husband Ben and I were looking at TV’s online and I made a comment about how I like a certain model but it’s too expensive. My son said something along the lines of “Why don’t have you have the money to buy the TV you like? Didn’t you get good grades when you were in school?”, which is definitely something I don’t want him to say to other people.

The next time Nicky had gifts for my kids, I took her aside and said that while I’m very grateful that she and Joel are so generous to us, I want her to stop telling my kids that they should get straight A’s so they’ll have money when they grow up.

Nicky was surprised. I explained my reasons, and she replied that she just wants my kids to be happy that’s why she buys them gifts, and she wants to encourage them to do well in school at the same time. She said that I get the final say about my children so she won’t say that anymore, but she doesn’t understand why I think it’s wrong to say that since our parents said that to us too when we were younger.

I told her that our parents saying that made me miserable because I felt pressured to get good grades. She said that I might not have liked being told that then, but it was for our own good and because of it we are now in a good place financially.

At that point I felt that she was being passive aggressive, because she knows I didn’t do as well as she did academically and I’m not yet in a good place financially. So I asked her if it was really straight A’s that got us there because for me it’s my work that puts food on the table and not my grades, and she and Joel don’t even use their degrees because Joel’s trust funds cover everything.

Ben said that I went too far by bringing up Joel and Nicky’s finances and making it seem like Nicky wouldn't have money if it weren't for Joel. My best friend Kim says it’s fair game because it was a fact that I just pointed out, and as Nicky said herself, I get the final say about my children so she should have left it at that and not asked me to justify myself.

Thoughts?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for moving an advanced student to lower classes?

I teach maths. We separate pupils into ability sets. I am currently teaching a top set of year 11 (15-16 year old) pupils.

A girl called Eva is both the most advanced and disruptive pupil I've ever had. She's top of my class and other ones including English and Science. She learns and understands things quicker then any pupil I've ever taught. I've tested giving her A Level and even university level tasks and she's been able to learn the material very quickly and complete them to a high standard. However, she's often on her phone during my class and is often late or absent. She's been caught three times with banned substances (Booze and weed in her bag and was caught doing cocaine with her friends in the toilets). She's on her final warning regarding this and will be expelled if caught again, but I've reason to believe she's been under the influence several times in my class. She's made clear that she thinks I'm ''a poo poo teacher''.

Us teachers do our best to be aware of the ''pupil politics'', and we know that Eva runs her year group. She's been in trouble for bullying several times including one serious case on social media in which the other girl's parents pulled her out of school.

She was trying to pick on one girl in my class a week ago during a task. She made her cry and got her phone out to film it. By this point I had become aware of what was going on and took her phone. She became very argumentative, demanding her phone back, but I insisted on keeping it until the end of the lesson.

I am pregnant and happily announced the news to all the classes I teach. When I walked away with Eva's phone, she loudly said ''I hope your baby dies''. Everyone was shocked at this.I gave her phone back at the end of class like I promised but she didn't apologise.

I've always kept my cool at work, but after everyone was gone I broke down crying. In the staff room later I started talks about getting Eva moved to a different class as I don't want to teach her any more. School rules allow us to move pupils to another class group if they are too disruptive, and it doesn't make any difference about whether the subject divides pupils on ability.

As a result Eva was moved to one of the lower classes. Her mum is a school governor and is furious at this, demanding I let her back into my class. She's pointed out that her daughter is far too talented for her new class (which is focused simply on making sure the less able students pass the subject and not on getting the most advanced students the best grades), but I've argued that it doesn't contravene school rules and that with her natural ability she will get a top grade anyway. I had a long conversation with the mother yesterday and she said that her daughter shouldn't be punished for ''a childish remark'' and that she would ''take action'' against me, though I don't think she has a leg to stand on according to school rules.

I did the right thing since Eva has the talent to get a high grade anyway.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I teach maths. We separate pupils into ability sets. I am currently teaching a top set of year 11 (15-16 year old) pupils.

A girl called Eva is both the most advanced and disruptive pupil I've ever had. She's top of my class and other ones including English and Science. She learns and understands things quicker then any pupil I've ever taught. I've tested giving her A Level and even university level tasks and she's been able to learn the material very quickly and complete them to a high standard. However, she's often on her phone during my class and is often late or absent. She's been caught three times with banned substances (Booze and weed in her bag and was caught doing cocaine with her friends in the toilets). She's on her final warning regarding this and will be expelled if caught again, but I've reason to believe she's been under the influence several times in my class. She's made clear that she thinks I'm ''a poo poo teacher''.

Us teachers do our best to be aware of the ''pupil politics'', and we know that Eva runs her year group. She's been in trouble for bullying several times including one serious case on social media in which the other girl's parents pulled her out of school.

She was trying to pick on one girl in my class a week ago during a task. She made her cry and got her phone out to film it. By this point I had become aware of what was going on and took her phone. She became very argumentative, demanding her phone back, but I insisted on keeping it until the end of the lesson.

I am pregnant and happily announced the news to all the classes I teach. When I walked away with Eva's phone, she loudly said ''I hope your baby dies''. Everyone was shocked at this.I gave her phone back at the end of class like I promised but she didn't apologise.

I've always kept my cool at work, but after everyone was gone I broke down crying. In the staff room later I started talks about getting Eva moved to a different class as I don't want to teach her any more. School rules allow us to move pupils to another class group if they are too disruptive, and it doesn't make any difference about whether the subject divides pupils on ability.

As a result Eva was moved to one of the lower classes. Her mum is a school governor and is furious at this, demanding I let her back into my class. She's pointed out that her daughter is far too talented for her new class (which is focused simply on making sure the less able students pass the subject and not on getting the most advanced students the best grades), but I've argued that it doesn't contravene school rules and that with her natural ability she will get a top grade anyway. I had a long conversation with the mother yesterday and she said that her daughter shouldn't be punished for ''a childish remark'' and that she would ''take action'' against me, though I don't think she has a leg to stand on according to school rules.

Hope Eva and her mom get pinned under a flaming bus

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Keep Eva in your class then give her the final write up to get get expelled

See how she takes nuking her future over some cliquey bullshit, then laugh

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for asking my sister to stop telling my kids that they should get straight A’s in school so they’ll have a lot of money when they grow up, especially since she herself has money mainly because she married a rich guy?

Maybe if the mom had done better academically, she would be in a good place financially. Seriously though, good grades does not equal financial success but having money is a hell of a lot better than not having money.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

yeah let’s ruin a child’s life because they’re doing dumb childish poo poo that they obviously got from their lovely mother. just happens to be a girl. gbs showing its whole rear end yet again

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

a fatguy baldspot posted:

yeah let’s ruin a child’s life because they’re doing dumb childish poo poo that they obviously got from their lovely mother. just happens to be a girl. gbs showing its whole rear end yet again

You're right, that IS where I learned to do cocaine in the bathroom

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Murder her narcissistic idiot mom and force Eva into intensive therapy because that's really sad.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Multiple drugs (felony) on premises offences, multiple bullying offenses, electronic device offenses, wishing harm on an instructor. Any SINGLE one of those could be grounds for major punishments, and possible expulsion.

How is she still going to school there? Also, how are her parents not under investigation by the police for the drugs? That's enough for cops to tear their loving house/life apart.

We had a kid that age get expelled for getting into a mutual fight with another teenage boy where one had to get a couple of stitches.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

a fatguy baldspot posted:

yeah let’s ruin a child’s life because they’re doing dumb childish poo poo
Kid did cocaine in the bathroom and showed up drunk. Must be the :females: :biotruths: goon misogynists rushing to judgement again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Vibe check boyfriend one is so dumb because he has given her ample opportunities to tell him how she feels about it.