Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The only thing I can think of is that the gross stuff in UFC and non-death match wrestling is accidental while in a death match it's the point. But even that feels a bit disingenuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Uh, if you guys are talking about that review that was linked earlier, that's not by Dave. Unless he changed his name to Arya Witner suddenly. Unrelated to that...

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ShootaBoy posted:

Uh, if you guys are talking about that review that was linked earlier, that's not by Dave. Unless he changed his name to Arya Witner suddenly. Unrelated to that...

They uploaded Bryan and Dave's take on the match to Youtube and it's not quite as histrionic as that review but it's still stupid.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

Dave and Bryan expressed the same sentiments on the podcast.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dave had normal people over to watch and was probably embarrassed by it after seeing it through their eyes

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

dave had normal people over

Nope

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

ShootaBoy posted:

This person is aware it stops being Indy wrestling if it's broadcast on National television and around the world right?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

can tumblr just die already so I don't have to see ringside confessions anymore

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

I said it in the other thread but Dave confuses me with this poo poo. Somehow that match is too gross and he never wants to see one again but he is totally cool with watching every UFC. I just can't compute how that's too violent and gross but a sport that boils down to "punch until the other man goes to sleep" isn't. A sport that's made me incredibly too comfortable with the image of someone having their face start to split open from getting punched too hard.

Dave isn't credited on that article.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Aesop Poprock posted:

Didn’t Moxley literally have a syringe put through his cheek and the liquid inside squirted into his mouth in CZW? And some sort of power saw cutting open his forehead? Dave must have been in a weird mood when he was watching or something

The power saw is part of the reason that I came around on deathmatch wrestling: so much of it is basically like stage magic. The blade was completely dull and basically just moved the blood that was already on his head around, but it looked absolutely HIDEOUS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQhjUz5LLMc

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gumball Gumption posted:

The only thing I can think of is that the gross stuff in UFC and non-death match wrestling is accidental while in a death match it's the point. But even that feels a bit disingenuous.

In wrestling it’s accidental. In UFC it’s the drat point.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

I Before E posted:

Dave isn't credited on that article.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Dave and Bryan expressed the same sentiments on the podcast.

Dave was probably worse with comparisons to Foley/Taker, CZW and BJW. Thinking for a second the glass/net might not be gimmicked, and lamenting about the "influence" this match would have, like people doing hardcore stuff aren't already doing things 10x worse.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Lumbermouth posted:

The power saw is part of the reason that I came around on deathmatch wrestling: so much of it is basically like stage magic. The blade was completely dull and basically just moved the blood that was already on his head around, but it looked absolutely HIDEOUS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQhjUz5LLMc

i always thought this was a wonderful piece of pro wrestling stage magic.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Pretty wild to see an entire subforum melt down over Dave having the gall to dislike an AEW match, very cool stuff

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

illcendiary posted:

Pretty wild to see an entire subforum melt down over Dave having the gall to dislike an AEW match, very cool stuff

I think it's less that he disliked it and how much of an idiot he sounds for his reasoning. The "was it real glass?!" conversation was already mentioned and is incredibly embarrassing, but he also just sounds amazingly out of touch with comparing this match to CZW and BJW.

Like, everyone is allowed to like and dislike what they want but the arguments he and Bryan had are just so bad and barely make sense. Nobody *has* to like every match, and if you didn't like it that's fine – but at least be logical and coherent about your reasoning.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I mean, I think he just didn't like the match and did his regular Dave thing of just continuing to talk if Bryan's not stopping him. Going on tangents where he ends up making comparisons where they don't apply. It happens on basically ever single WOR episode.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Pretty wild to see someone melt down over someone having the gall to dislike a WOR episode. Very cool stuff.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

lol, give me a fuckin break you big baby

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Activate your electronic visual computer display.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ganso Bomb posted:

I think it's less that he disliked it and how much of an idiot he sounds for his reasoning. The "was it real glass?!" conversation was already mentioned and is incredibly embarrassing, but he also just sounds amazingly out of touch with comparing this match to CZW and BJW.

Like, everyone is allowed to like and dislike what they want but the arguments he and Bryan had are just so bad and barely make sense. Nobody *has* to like every match, and if you didn't like it that's fine – but at least be logical and coherent about your reasoning.

The thing is, Dave aside, people are stating their reasoning and the response is basically 'lol no' and 'fuckin cop' and 'turn your monitor on'.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gaz-L posted:

The thing is, Dave aside, people are stating their reasoning and the response is basically 'lol no' and 'fuckin cop' and 'turn your monitor on'.

Admittedly, I haven't read every post about it, but everyone should be allowed to like and dislike whatever they want. That's just my bold take, though.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

can tumblr just die already so I don't have to see ringside confessions anymore

I'm gonna keep mining this vein of stupid until it dries out, so strap in friendo.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

My hot take is that if someone doesn't like deathmatches because they're gruesome or they don't enjoy the style that's fine but if they're playing safety police and pretending deathmatches are more dangerous than anything Kenny was doing in NJPW then they're dumb and belong in this thread.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

My hot take is that if someone doesn't like deathmatches because they're gruesome or they don't enjoy the style that's fine but if they're playing safety police and pretending deathmatches are more dangerous than anything Kenny was doing in NJPW then they're dumb and belong in this thread.

What they said

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Agreed except replace "anything Kenny was doing" with "anything 85% of upper midcard and up does". That match was probably safer than any given G1 card from the last three years.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I have no problem with not liking death matches. They're absolutely gross and I totally get that the reason I like them is the reason a lot of people will hate them. I just wish everyone was more honest about the dangers of wrestling. All of it is really dangerous. All of it is horrible wear and tear on the body. It's annoying to only have the safety police come out when they see blood, even if that blood was from something far safer then the regular bumps every wrestler takes.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MJeff posted:

Agreed except replace "anything Kenny was doing" with "anything 85% of upper midcard and up does". That match was probably safer than any given G1 card from the last three years.

Yeah I mentioned Kenny specifically because he's the topic of discussion, but yeah you're way more likely to end up seriously hurt wrestling in NJPW than BJW.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

To be honest, the thing I cringed at the most was the bumps on the wood planks. I started training in August and it can hurt taking a bump wrong on a fully put-together ring. I wouldn't want to attempt it on just wood.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That match had a suplex where omega has to flip around in midair to not smash his head on the mousetrap spot, and that brain buster or whatever at the end was nuts as well. Omega’s head was a bit protected but yikes.

To Brian’s credit he also didn’t like the Omega head through the table spot that set up a good chunk of the storyline for this match.

During the match I was thinking there’s a good chance that I’ll look back on some of this wrestling and regret having enjoyed it for the same reason guys feel that way about boxing.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Kenny also did that double stomp on the plastic trash can where you have no idea how much that's going to give, it at all, and if you land wrong then goodbye ACLs.

The match wasn't as dangerous as some people made it out to be, but it wasn't a pure walk-and-brawl either; they did plenty of risky stuff.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I disagree with Dave on the match but during this WOR he mentioned he was both uncomfortable with Mankind/Taker Hell in a Cell and Naito/Ibushi from Dominion

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Benne posted:

Kenny also did that double stomp on the plastic trash can where you have no idea how much that's going to give, it at all, and if you land wrong then goodbye ACLs.

The match wasn't as dangerous as some people made it out to be, but it wasn't a walk-and-brawl either; they did plenty of risky stuff.

The Snap Dragons felt like the spot that could go really wrong given the amount of stuff in the ring. Like at one time I though Kenny was going to do one with Moxley hitting the chain

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Nobody has a problem with Dave disliking the match, or anyone disliking the match in general (calling people cops or w/e is just funney rear end twitter poo poo) but comparing it to BJW (5 times worse, even!) is completely insane, & crying about the indies suddenly copying the match is super ignorant. Dave is cancelled and that's it chief Boomer okay bommer

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Benne posted:

The match wasn't as dangerous as some people made it out to be, but it wasn't a pure walk-and-brawl either; they did plenty of risky stuff.

Yeah, stuff like double stomps and the bumps onto the exposed wood are the kind of stuff you get in normal matches though (well concrete instead of wood usually) especially with guys like Kenny.

yea ok posted:

comparing it to BJW (5 times worse, even!)

Tbf it probably was more dangerous than a BJW match cos Kenny hits stuff like snapdragons when most BJW guys chain wrestle between deathmatch spots.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 11, 2019

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I think the match was fun and generally safer than an Ibushi or Ospreay match.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'd love to knock dave out for not liking that match. I'd love to put him to sleep with one punch

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Pictured: The Big Cavauro

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Tbf it probably was more dangerous than a BJW match cos Kenny hits stuff like snapdragons when most BJW guys chain wrestle between deathmatch spots.

It probably was in that sense, but I don't think he was talking about it in that way. Just felt like really odd pearl clutching from the same guy who argues with people about Will Ospreay every day.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
So both Sempervive and Dave said Kenny was in CZW and Sempervive brings up DDT like he thinks that's a deathmatch promotion?

What the hell is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

So both Sempervive and Dave said Kenny was in CZW and Sempervive brings up DDT like he thinks that's a deathmatch promotion?

What the hell is going on.

kenny did wrestle on two czw shows early on in his career but they were not deathmatches. one was a tag team match with arik cannon vs the osirian portal.