Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

exmarx posted:

lube guy rules

Lube guy is like something from a parallel world where Mystery Men was actually funny, he rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

tadashi posted:

I literally said "The gently caress?" 2 seconds before Night did. I am obsessed with silver lubed dick man.

:yeah:

I’m pretty sure that was a universal response to his introduction.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

eighty-four merc posted:

Which part from episode one are we interpreting as Manhattan destroying Veidt's prison?

Im caught up but I must have missed that

A quick TV shot of him on Mars destroying a castle.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
With how original and creative this show is it does annoy me that the "menacing asian woman plutocrat who use a literal ticking timer as a tool of intimidation" thing was lifted more or less directly from Mr Robot.

Ballz posted:

:yeah:

I’m pretty sure that was a universal response to his introduction.

We see Veidt's clone babies are fished out of water.

Sewers are full of water.

QED lube man is a clone

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Why would Dr. Manhattan need a ship to get from Mars to Earth?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Why would Dr. Manhattan need a ship to get from Mars to Earth?

Vedit would, if he escaped

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

A quick TV shot of him on Mars destroying a castle.

We also see Angela’s son destroy a very similar model of a castle in the next episode which seemed like foreshadowing.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Call me crazy but I don't think Doctor Manhattan is keeping Jeremy Irons locked up.

Its going to be interesting if/when Trieu and Veidt are in the same space together. I feel like since this show is technically a sequel it has echoes of the original in the arc of the characters. If Trieu is basically the new Veidt, will he side with whatever plan she has or work to stop it?

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Eggs sure do seem to be important to this narrative, huh

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What was in that bag that Angela dumped onto the truck? I thought that's what she carried the Klan uniform in, and that she left that with Looking Glass.

Also I am one hundred percent in the "Lady Trieu is the one keeping Adrian locked up" camp.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What was in that bag that Angela dumped onto the truck? I thought that's what she carried the Klan uniform in, and that she left that with Looking Glass.

The cut up wheelchair.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

dreffen posted:

The cut up wheelchair.

Ah right yeah that makes sense.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Also I am one hundred percent in the "Lady Trieu is the one keeping Adrian locked up" camp.

I think it’s a red herring, given they already did the “Is that... Adrian Veidt?” line, which made you think for a second he was locked up inside there.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Slowpoke! posted:

I think it’s a red herring, given they already did the “Is that... Adrian Veidt?” line, which made you think for a second he was locked up inside there.

otoh, Lady Trieu saying "he IS old" makes it clear that she knows he's not dead.
Also a trillionaire obsessed with the concept of legacy who has styled herself after Veidt has infinity more reasons to keep him locked up in a paradise prison than Dr. Manhattan, who I insist would just atomize Adrian if he ever became a problem.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
So, yeah, this has reached terminal mystery box velocity, so time to check out.

Good luck to anybody who's convinced themselves this isn't going to end up as anything other than unwatchable poo poo.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Tehran 1979 posted:

Good luck to anybody who's convinced themselves this isn't going to end up as anything other than unwatchable poo poo.

I'm sorry for whatever led to "mystery box" becoming such a poisoned and meaningless term as "plot hole" to you and hope that in the future you don't have to watch five hours of a show before deciding whether or not you are enjoying watching it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
But I wanna know all the answers NOW :mad:

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

Sleeveless posted:

I'm sorry for whatever led to "mystery box" becoming such a poisoned and meaningless term as "plot hole" to you and hope that in the future you don't have to watch five hours of a show before deciding whether or not you are enjoying watching it.

Mooooooooom somebody doesn't like what I like

Calm down you autist

feedmyleg posted:

But I wanna know all the answers NOW :mad:

Quoted for posterity, revisit this after as little as two seasons when you start seeing all this mystery box bullshit is meaningless

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The story wraps up in 4 episodes. It's a self contained narrative.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Tehran 1979 posted:

Bye.

The smartest thing they did was make this a self-contained 9-episode arc. It feels tight and every episode has a solid amount of answering questions alongside opening up new ones. And it's just so delightfully unpredictable - lots of homages to the comics (Trieu totally stealing Veidt's vivarium tech, which, considering who built it...) but no slavish devotion to just painting by numbers.

It's great and I feel pretty confident in saying they'll stick the landing, given where we're at at the 44% mark.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.
A time machine? I don’t know, but tachyons travel backwards through time and also cockblock Dr Manhattan.

Something falls from space onto a midwestern farm owned by a loving childless couple and your first thought is Adrian Veidt? Uh huh.

We know squids aren’t coming from another dimension because other dimensions are a fake ruse created by Veidt. Yet it’s raining squid. Little clone squid, as it were.

If I had a time machine in the Watchmen universe maybe I want to make sure someone else walks into the intrinsic field chamber. Someone like me.

I think there’s an arrow pointed towards real superheroes with powers entering the equation.

Superman references. Advanced cloning. Advanced physics. A culture primed to accept masked vigilantes.

What’s the external threat that needs to be overcome here?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Systemic racism and authoritative governments?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Tehran 1979 posted:

Calm down you autist

ah yes, calling people autistic when they call out your bullshit, classy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

AccountSupervisor posted:

ah yes, calling people autistic when they call out your bullshit, classy.

There's probably more of us in here than a Critical Roll meet and greet. Nothing wrong with playing the odds.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
From PeteyPedia :kiddo:

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Note well that Lady Trieu is a reference to a historical warrior from Vietnam that fought Chinese imperialism.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

There's probably more of us in here than a Critical Roll meet and greet. Nothing wrong with playing the odds.

:rolleyes:

Anyways, Im in the Lubeman is Petey camp. It seems weird to me thered be someone like that in Tulsa and nobody knew about him, since we havent really been shown any other vigilantes that werent police running around. Between that, the body type, the timing and it becoming more obvious Peteys fandom extends beyond just extensive historical knowledge, I wouldnt be surprised.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As for people not knowing who Laurie is in the current day I don’t think that’s that much out of the ordinary. If you show a picture of current day Monica Lewinsky to young people I doubt they could tell you who she is. Hell you could probably do the same thing with 80s icons like Madonna or Brooke Shields

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

AccountSupervisor posted:

:rolleyes:

Anyways, Im in the Lubeman is Petey camp. It seems weird to me thered be someone like that in Tulsa and nobody knew about him, since we havent really been shown any other vigilantes that werent police running around. Between that, the body type, the timing and it becoming more obvious Peteys fandom extends beyond just extensive historical knowledge, I wouldnt be surprised.
It seems very likely to be Petey, but I think the twist is going to be that it's not his idea. This is Laurie ordering him to tail Angela in a way that mocks the local cop vigilantes.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You don't just Jackie Chan your way into a sewer opening like that without prior experience.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Squidster posted:

It seems very likely to be Petey, but I think the twist is going to be that it's not his idea. This is Laurie ordering him to tail Angela in a way that mocks the local cop vigilantes.

"Spandex isn't tight enough, kid. I've gotta really see your moose-knuckle ready to burst out. Okay, a little more. More... just a little bit more..."

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

A time machine? I don’t know, but tachyons travel backwards through time and also cockblock Dr Manhattan.

Something falls from space onto a midwestern farm owned by a loving childless couple and your first thought is Adrian Veidt? Uh huh.

We know squids aren’t coming from another dimension because other dimensions are a fake ruse created by Veidt. Yet it’s raining squid. Little clone squid, as it were.

If I had a time machine in the Watchmen universe maybe I want to make sure someone else walks into the intrinsic field chamber. Someone like me.

I think there’s an arrow pointed towards real superheroes with powers entering the equation.

Superman references. Advanced cloning. Advanced physics. A culture primed to accept masked vigilantes.

What’s the external threat that needs to be overcome here?

Regarding superman references note wills last name.

cowbeef
Apr 21, 2010

Jay-V posted:

Eggs sure do seem to be important to this narrative, huh

To add more nonsense to the "mystery box", I think that the image of mitosis itself looks like a Rorschach ink blot...mirrored down the middle. The Kalvary has been around for a while, but if someone is raining down populations of cloned squids, I wonder if it's possible that some of the masked Kalvary members are also clones being commanded by some power (Keene?) to push an agenda. Maybe they were collecting those watch magnets to help fuel whatever technology that Trieu and Vedit are using to make clones?

Now I'm just more confused after writing this out.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Got a hunch that Petey is lube man

cowbeef
Apr 21, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Got a hunch that Petey is lube man

He didn't even have to make the costume. Laurie just gave him the lube and silver bag that comes with the blue dildo.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I missed lotsa pages of this thread, but I'll repeat it anyways: First volume of the soundtrack is up on Spotify (and probably everything else) and it owns.

The track "TRIGGER WARNING" is fairly interesting. I wonder if it was meant to be in front of the episodes, but got axed.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

massive spider posted:

Regarding superman references note wills last name.

Isnt that more of reference to Bass Reeves though? Probably gave himself that name after being orphaned after Tulsa.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Mantis42 posted:

The story wraps up in 4 episodes. It's a self contained narrative.

That's what they said about LOST but they were dead the whole time!

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Fartington Butts posted:

I missed lotsa pages of this thread, but I'll repeat it anyways: First volume of the soundtrack is up on Spotify (and probably everything else) and it owns.

The track "TRIGGER WARNING" is fairly interesting. I wonder if it was meant to be in front of the episodes, but got axed.

It played in front of the American Hero Story scene with Hooded Justice in the grocery store two(?) episodes ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
Am I insane for thinking Veidt's actually in the statue and that Trieu is using magic science to keep him in a brain prison? And stuff disappearing via the catapult is like the edge of where the brain matrix renders?