Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kazy posted:

I can buy stupid poo poo like Yui's AI and the Fluctlight, but then villain's "literally eats real human souls like magic" is just so profoundly over the top.

It mostly feels off to me because SAO has been pretty good at making a distinction between what happens in reality (nothing out of the normal beyond futuristic technology) and in the games (a lot). Meanwhile, here we had BRO eat a soul in reality, somehow, which breaks that and makes me wonder if there isn't more to this than we've been shown. My first instinct was thinking that BUROH's memories were tampered with, like Kirito's before, and this is not his first time in the Underworld, but it doesn't really fit with the timeline of events we know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The soul stuff in Alicization in general has been very weird to me. It feels like something from a different kind of story.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It is very strange to see the supposed tech people running the project talk about artificial souls as though that means anything.

I think the intention is that the guy was just hallucinating when he killed his sister and then it never happened again, but now his psycho power makes things work like that in the game because artificial soul magic.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The entire thing in underworld is the power of the imagination and the self makes you stronger.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
...what?

Undocumented Gamer
Jan 9, 2019
Yeah, the soul eating thing was definitely wierd. Perhaps he was watching the Soul Eater Anime recently when he was writing this just went with that.

Also, whats up with Sir Black Knight-san having the power to attack his soul directly inside the lightcube cluster. I didnt get that at all.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I had no idea where this show was going and honestly I’m just down for the ride because it keeps getting dumber and that’s the only reason I keep watching

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I know SAO has never had anything remotely approaching a complex villain, instead opting for over-the-top comically evil (it's saying something that loving Kayaba is the closest the show's gotten to morally gray), but I gotta say, "black ops CIA mercenary who has been a murderer since childhood and eats souls" is some real next level evil poo poo. Never change, Kawahara :discourse:

Also I get that he's logged in as king poo poo of gently caress mountain or whatever, but dude deserves an Oscar for not even loving reacting a bit to a guy exploding into a rage tornado and coming at him. I feel like even if they've seen the tutorial or whatever in the back, you'd need more than a day in the world to get used to that kinda poo poo.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 5, 2019

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Also, like I get that eventually the Real Bad Guy has to be some sort of Shady Western Actor but honestly the CIA would never directly hire a bunch of mercenaries to attack a NATO ally. What happens if these idiots screw up, get captured and go "the CIA made us do it!"? There would be layers and layers of deniability involved with work this wet.

Shaffness
Jan 15, 2001

Kazy posted:

I can buy stupid poo poo like Yui's AI and the Fluctlight, but then villain's "literally eats real human souls like magic" is just so profoundly over the top.

Yes this is 100% the bullshit that I come to Sao for. I love it.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
God, Kirito should be so hosed up by now.
Like, the amount of dumb bullshit he's been through, the amount of subjective time he's lived through compared to his actual chronological age, he's like a loving 40 year old traumatised war veteran in a highschooler's body.

I would loving love a (not connected to the Sword Art canon) series which took this as a premise, and started Post-Adventure with the protagonist trying to adjust to having to live in the real world and hold down a lovely office job while everyone treated them like a 20 year old kid and they struggled to get used to dealing with problems that were both less traumatic and less easily solved than "some guy is trying to murder me with a sword".

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I just love how they introduce two characters, make them seem important, and then quickly kill them off to make the actual bad guy look worse. As if him being a mercenary leader and serial killer wasn't bad enough.

Not that the Kirito plot this season is any better.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
i’ve always liked how extra kawahara’s villains are when they aren’t being sexually creepy to the cast. like naming your villain Death Gun is perfect

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I enjoyed how the entire supporting cast is like yep we're useless, hope Kirito wakes up to save us again soon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The_White_Crane posted:

God, Kirito should be so hosed up by now.
Like, the amount of dumb bullshit he's been through, the amount of subjective time he's lived through compared to his actual chronological age, he's like a loving 40 year old traumatised war veteran in a highschooler's body.

For all Kawahara is not a good writer, I feel at least he tries on this one. Fairy Dance, as lovely as it was, put some focus on the fact that Kirito has bad PTSD and has far more extreme reactions to what's a basic game than anyone should due to it, until he manages to calm down. And now we have Kirito having had his soul broken entirely because he really hates himself for not being able to save everyone, which again links him hard to the amount of deaths he's gone through since SAO from Sachi onwards, which became real due to how the Underworld works.

Kawahara has said that Kirito is "strong on the outside, weak on the inside", and while usually that's incredibly easy to ignore because he's one of the most overpowered protagonists in history, every so often he manages to properly show that he really is just a broken, heavily traumatized teenager that keeps getting shoved into horrible scenarios.

Would I like to see this handled by a better writer, with a greater focus on the effects on his psyche? Yeah, absolutely. But I'll praise Kawahara for at least trying here.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Blaze Dragon posted:

Would I like to see this handled by a better writer, with a greater focus on the effects on his psyche? Yeah, absolutely.

Good Lord why?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I. M. Gei posted:

Good Lord why?

Because...I like deep character writing that puts serious effort into showing how a character is affected by what he goes through and feel it adds a lot to a story when done properly and makes said characters far more relatable?

I'm not sure why this is weird to you, honestly.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

Because...I like deep character writing that puts serious effort into showing how a character is affected by what he goes through and feel it adds a lot to a story when done properly and makes said characters far more relatable?

I'm not sure why this is weird to you, honestly.

He only enjoys trash

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sword Art Online is great precisely because it’s bad. Why would you want to ruin that with things like competent writing?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oh Snapple! posted:

He only enjoys trash

don’t trashshame

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

Sword Art Online is great precisely because it’s bad. Why would you want to ruin that with things like competent writing?

feels like it should be possible to enjoy the clumsy excess of sao while also not actively hoping for the author to remain stagnant

but plenty of people have spent years engaging with this stuff on a weird level so uh, whatever

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Kirito is getting more girls to confess to their love to him while he's in a catatonic state than he did awake, drat.

I'm actually glad Kirito and Eugeo's students came back, if only so they can be more than one-off plot devices.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TwoPair posted:

Kirito is getting more girls to confess to their love to him while he's in a catatonic state than he did awake, drat.

I'm actually glad Kirito and Eugeo's students came back, if only so they can be more than one-off plot devices.
Hey come on now: Maybe he's like the Nisekoi MC in that he used to be way more popular before running into the plot.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

dogsicle posted:

feels like it should be possible to enjoy the clumsy excess of sao while also not actively hoping for the author to remain stagnant

but plenty of people have spent years engaging with this stuff on a weird level so uh, whatever

Yeah, I mean, I enjoy SAO because it's some very good Dumb Anime Bullshit Comfort Food, but that doesn't stop me from also seeing the underutilized aspects of the concept and wanting to see something more interesting done with them.

Shaffness
Jan 15, 2001
On the dumb SAO bullshit front I was pleased to see that Kirito can erect a loving forcefield even though he's for all intents and purposes braindead. I really like the character Alice is growing into. I like her for the same reason Kirito and Asuna's relationship is my favorite thing in SAO it's just really sweet wholesome and genuine. Also her outfit is cool as hell.

Shaffness fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 11, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shaffness posted:

On the dumb SAO bullshit front I was pleased to see that Kirito can erect a loving forcefield even though he's for all intents and purposes braindead. I really like the character Alice is growing into. I like her for the same reason Kirito and Asuna's relationship is my favorite thing in SAO it's just really sweet wholesome and genuine. Also her outfit is cool as hell.

:agreed:

I'm glad she didn't get some sort of new outfit for the back half of the show (although it was kinda hilarious that Kirito did something once unintentionally and somehow Alice saw it and unlocked the ability to just change her outfit into whatever).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

I. M. Gei posted:

Because then you get SAOA:GGO.

Which was loving awesome.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I know SAO has never had anything remotely approaching a complex villain, instead opting for over-the-top comically evil (it's saying something that loving Kayaba is the closest the show's gotten to morally gray), but I gotta say, "black ops CIA mercenary who has been a murderer since childhood and eats souls" is some real next level evil poo poo. Never change, Kawahara :discourse:

Just caught up after 3 weeks and yeah wtf. Why is this one comically evil person capable of seeing and eating souls even in the real world, something nobody else seems to be capable of?

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

The show already confirmed that souls can be quantified by science and contained within a machine, so I guess anything’s possible.

Although, I think it’s more likely that the computer is screwing with his mind and causing parts of his character’s backstory to blend with his own memory. When Kirito was first put into the game his personality was completely overwritten and he believed he was a little kid in that world, so we know the tech is capable of that sort of thing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
oh my god Alice is making a literal Spirit Bomb.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I was thinking starlight breaker

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

not much fanfare on that laser :(

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sindai posted:

I was thinking starlight breaker

Well well we have a winner

dogsicle posted:

I know, right? The dumb big shuriken sword got more fanfare.

also lol at the entire mage corps being big boobed witches

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

TwoPair posted:

also lol at the entire mage corps being big boobed witches

That’s where all the dark magic is stored.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Black Stones posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Sword Art Online: Alicization: War of Underworld - Magic is Stored in the Boobs

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

dogsicle posted:

If that laser really wanted to be cool and important it should have gotten itself launched by Kirito

Sindai fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 24, 2019

Shaffness
Jan 15, 2001

Sindai posted:

If that laser really wanted to be cool and important it should have gotten itself launched by Kirito

Spoilers geez.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

:objection:
If it was, the attack would have worked

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tamba posted:

:objection:
If it was, the attack would have worked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJxCdh1Ps48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaffness
Jan 15, 2001
So I guess Alice uses SAO retarded bullshit science to make a mirror ball that can use luminous element or in her case thousands of fluctlight spirits from fallen fighters to create what is essentially an infinite power generator to power her space laser. Pretty badass.