Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Elysium posted:

There's also no reason to get an antique tag other than to dodge inspections, so however stupid the restrictions are, it's not like it you are bound to them for any reason, you can just not get one.

Why buy 7 Miatas, when if I just borrow twice as much at 29% interest I can get My Dream Truck?

Lease 255 Miatas, rolling the negative equity until you generate a buffer overflow in the accounting system. Now the dealership owes you money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sundae posted:

I'm looking for a short-term car lease so that I have something very nice and fancy to drive away in after my third wedding (same wife each time, we just didn't feel like the first two were magical enough). Can anyone recommend one?

Have you considered a hearse?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A hearse is a curse on purse, or worse!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:cripes:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

Have you considered a hearse?

You’re looking for the Bad With Mortuary thread.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Lease 255 Miatas, rolling the negative equity until you generate a buffer overflow in the accounting system. Now the dealership owes you money.

But first I have to talk about parallel universes...

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Come to the importing cars thread if you want to see (and maybe purchase?) some :krad: hearses:

French Canadian posted:

That's good but I am busy picking my hearse out

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-TIsvG4HMmRKYR.htm

When you say "marked out" I do see the circle but then an X...so they decided it's not actually 4wd?

I'm trying to figure out if it's a turbo engine. Apparently in 1993 they standardized all Fargos with a turbo 2.4 but it wasn't until mid-1993. So I think this might be NA.

Here's a billion photos from the sale of another 1993. Just interesting to see different configs and fit and finish across all these tiny RVs. It was an NA engine...so that might be what I should expect also.

https://www.jdmcarandmotorcycle.com/details/used-1993-isuzu-fargo-motorhome-diesel-at/44518129

edit: that one in the link above is 2wd so I figure the JCD listing is also 2wd, per you saying it was "marked out".

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

How are you such a goddamned amazingly awful, beautifully lovely, completely irreplaceable poster? :3:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

If somebody had teleported back a few years and told us GGGC was a good and favored poster, we would have burned that goon as a heretic on a pile of burning boats.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

cars are a tremendous source of bwm

The dealer I bought my 2015 RAV4 called me because he said I could take advantage of my equity and get me into a new model for the same monthly cost as I am paying now. Told him my monthly was $0 since I paid it off years ago and asked if he could match that. My last Rav4, a 2007, had 110k miles and had some engine work done under recall at 80k. Only reason I got rid of it last year was the cat convertor rusted out and fell off and the rest of the car was falling apart all around it otherwise it was running strong.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Finally, something threadworthy has come up.

Recommends on sources for investment loans (self.personalfinance)

submitted 42 minutes ago by farsh19

https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/duzzed/recommends_on_sources_for_investment_loans/

quote:

Hello all, Recently I've came across an investment opportunity that I'm interested in. Unfortunately I'm a few thousand short of the minimum investment ($20,000). I'm interested in the option to take out a loan to either meet the minimum, or maybe more, depending on the interest rates. Does anyone have recommendations on where to look for a investment loan? Additional information such as common APR ranges or anything is also appreciated!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
you know it's a good investment when it's a nice, round number with a lot of zeros. really legit.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/drqyb5/help_im_trying_to_explain_finances_to_my_gf_but/
Help: Im trying to explain finances to my gf, but don't know where to start
Debt

quote:

As title says, my[20M] s/o [19F] is going to culinary school for a bachelors in Baking and applied food studies, and is estimated to take out over $100k in debt by graduation in a three year bachelor program. She's in year one and has already taken out around $20k in private loans. She has very little concept of how much debt this really is and not much of a plan on how to pay it back. She most likely expects to make a high yield income job something like ($70k+), which I understand to be unrealistic at that school and in that major. Her parents encourage her to keep taking out loans, but do not intend to help pay it off.

I want to talk with her to help her understand how much debt this is, and help her create a future plan on how it could be paid off, but also don't have a good concept of loans. I am finishing up college in Poli Sci on the Army's dime, and worked as an RA and off-jobs to cover room and board so I will graduate debt free and with ~$20-$30k saved, so I don't understand debt that well. We agreed to discuss it next week, but I am woefully unprepared. I did research in the school regarding employment rates and average income per graduate. Beyond that, I don't really know what to discuss. What are some good questions to ask her about her loans and ambitions before hand, and what are some potential courses of action in her scenario? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Tl;dr: Gf goes to culinary school with $100k in private loans without realizing how much that really is, I need help explaining how that debt isn't good and what she can do to pay it in the future.

EDIT 1: I think her only plan was to potentially work for the government and do a loan forgiveness program in 10 years, but I don't think they deal with private loans. Remarks?

EDIT 2: Thanks for all the comments. I think she wanted to go into food anthropology or museum curation (I'm not sure how the degree correlates). The school itself is something like the premiere culinary institution in America (not naming names as I don't want this to come up in a search easy). She has picked up steam in good positions in clubs and a job as a cook, so she is thinking of switching to culinary arts instead. The school has really good connections if that matters. I'm not defending the school by any means as I view it kinda similar as I view MLMs for a variety of reasons, but just a preface.

"No Dad! I don't want to follow the safe and lucrative path of Food Anthropology like you and your fathers before you! I want to live my dreams and take a risk with a Business degree!"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

"food anthropology"?!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'm the high yield job that makes 70k.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

"food anthropology"?!

One of those niche fields that has room for about a dozen people worldwide at any given time.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Guest2553 posted:

I'm the high yield job that makes 70k.

Let's not do this one.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Given the chance, I bet she'd rise to the occasion.

Or do you need to see the proof?

She may not make a ton of money, but she'll certainly have plenty of dough

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Instead of having a long discussion about how many figgies you need for a "high yield income job," let's check out this hilarious figgie-based exchange in the law thread, featuring extreme YOSPOS poisoning:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865334&pagenumber=290&perpage=40#post499719881

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

that makes my figgie hard

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Instead of having a long discussion about how many figgies you need for a "high yield income job," let's check out this hilarious figgie-based exchange in the law thread, featuring extreme YOSPOS poisoning:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865334&pagenumber=290&perpage=40#post499719881

There’s a story about a lawyer stealing from estates at the bottom of that page, getting disbarred sounds BWM.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

crazypeltast52 posted:

There’s a story about a lawyer stealing from estates at the bottom of that page, getting disbarred sounds BWM.

You pretty much have to be the world's biggest idiot or an actual criminal to be disbarred, and yes, it is very, very BWM to pay for a law degree that you can't put to use.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

enraged_camel posted:

"food anthropology"?!

I'm a food scientist, but you need a degree in food science, chemical engineering, or something similar. I guarantee she's not going to get very far with a culinary degree.

Also yes, it's a stupidly niche field and I sometimes regret going into it but I'm in a good place and making decent money. But food anthropology is even worse. She really should be looking at a PhD in anthropology.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vox Nihili posted:

You pretty much have to be the world's biggest idiot or an actual criminal to pay for a law degree.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Or do you knead to see the proof?

Come on, it was right there

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Good Eats show had a food anthropologist on it so there’s a chance you’ll be on TV and become a foil to Alton Brown.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

She really should be looking at a PhD in anthropology.

Buuuuut should she though? Should she really.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Good Eats show had a food anthropologist on it so there’s a chance you’ll be on TV and become a foil to Alton Brown.

Deborah Duchon, the only food anthropologist most people will every know about. In looking up her last name I found out she died last month. Dammit.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

Deborah Duchon, the only food anthropologist most people will every know about. In looking up her last name I found out she died last month. Dammit.

So you're saying there's an open position?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

So you're saying there's an open position?

I was not willing to make that joke in my post. Thank you.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Elysium posted:

Buuuuut should she though? Should she really.

Yeah this. Try repeating that PhD in anthropology recommendation in the grad school thread and see what happens.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Pursuing a phd just because of interest and without a plan to monetize it is for the independently wealthy

Filipino
Nov 6, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am so finacially hosed. My life is a gapping hole of debt and bad decisions. Its so gat dang depressing.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I worked at a culinary school for 5 years, I wish I could have told those kids that spending 80k to on a degree that would maybe get them 15-20 an hour + a drug habit didn't need a diploma.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I am being told different things by two different dealerships, non-bias advice appreciated

quote:

Here's the rundown – I owe $43,000 on a 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4-door 6cyl 6.1ft bed. Edmonds and KBB say probably trade-in value of $30,000. Live in Maryland. I'm paying $727 a month and my circumstances changed so this monthly payment is KILLING me. I realize this is not a great situation, and probably should not have bought the car in the first place. But one dealership told me to wait a couple months, refinance, and then lease a new car. The other dealership is saying that's a horrible idea and that I shouldn't lease. My credit is in the good range, bordering excellent, and need some middle of the road advice on how to get out of this truck and into something more affordable. Am I looking at landing in a total POS? Have any of you seen anything like this and what do you suggest?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/dv6ruq/the_irs_is_wanting_me_to_pay_24000/

quote:

The IRS is wanting me to pay $24,000? (self.personalfinance)

submitted 4 hours ago by MedicinalDank​

Hello guys.

Sorry, I just don’t know what to do at this point or where to go with this as I’m not a tax professional.

I moved out of my parents house years back, but since my dad owns a business he claims me on everything and has my insurance set up with his stuff.

Well anyways, we stupidly filed our taxes separately. I am a W2 employee and my dad is self employed.

When I first took my tax form to H&R Block I was told I would get a $900 refund.

A few months later, they mailed me asking for another form. I went to H&R Block and they sent it. Didn’t hear anything for a month. Then they sent me a letter saying I owe $24,700 in taxes due to something my dad did with his taxes or insurance or whatever.

Now my question is... where do I go from here? I have an extension until Dec 18.

My dads tax lady and my H&R Block met together and are having me come in a few days to sign a form.

Should I get an attorney? I really can’t afford to have this debt. What should I do? Need advice please!

Dude's about to become an accomplice to tax fraud or something. Bolded the "we stupidly filed our taxes separately" because clearly OP has no idea how to do anything with taxes and daddy has been doing it all (to perpetuate some scheme that's going to land them both in jail, most likely). Or maybe OP never filed taxes until now and owes a poo poo-ton of back taxes.

edit: just noticed OP's username is "MedicinalDank." Dude's going places...

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah this. Try repeating that PhD in anthropology recommendation in the grad school thread and see what happens.

Well, no, she should absolutely not. It was more of a, if that's what she wants to be, here's the more "realistic" path, but also don't do that either.

Involuntary Sparkle fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 12, 2019

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Forget truck equity, I want bag equity:

My wife told me that Birkin bag is an investment. What do you guys think?

quote:

I thought she was just messing with me but when I googled around, several articles claim that Hermes Birkin appreciates at 14% annually.

How can it be? It is just a bag.

RealReal handbag expert explains why Hermès Birkin bags are expensive

quote:

Hermès Birkin bags are the most expensive bags in the world, ranging from $40,000 to $500,000 for a single bag.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Hermes won't even show you a Birkin most places unless you've shown that you're "a high loyalty customer" and have done several tens of thousands of dollars of business with the brand already. Or you could buy a totally passable knockoff at the Silk Market in Beijing for like $500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Hermes won't even show you a Birkin most places unless you've shown that you're "a high loyalty customer" and have done several tens of thousands of dollars of business with the brand already.

It's a similar concept to Nigerian Prince emails that are deliberately written badly and unbelievable: you want to weed out anyone with any common sense and only spend time on the absolute suckers.