Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Turns out the cell phone man was inside of us all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

Tried later at work on a desktop, loaded ok. You pay him $100 and he gets you one of the Koodo plans he lists.

Oh yeah, I knew that. What they were specializing in before was setting people up with the Manitoba plans you couldn't get on either coast. I dunno where this fuckin 25gb $53 sorcery is coming from (seriously, look into the reviews, I dont think its a scam)

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
Cell Phone Man just makes me think of this :

https://youtu.be/AZceNJ7DkwQ

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

These things have been around forever. It’s insiders making a side dollar from their privileges at work. I personally wouldn’t want to lose my number if something went wrong but if you’re not attached to yours why not? It’s not like Canadian telecom plays by the rules.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

Tried later at work on a desktop, loaded ok. You pay him $100 and he gets you one of the Koodo plans he lists.

How do we know it's the real cell phone man and not some shady cell phone boy

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Please, it's Mobile Lad. :colbert:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Pivo posted:

These things have been around forever. It’s insiders making a side dollar from their privileges at work. I personally wouldn’t want to lose my number if something went wrong but if you’re not attached to yours why not? It’s not like Canadian telecom plays by the rules.

Why/how would you lose your number?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Has there ever been a documented case of a customer losing their account because they cheated into an SK/MB plan?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

JoelJoel posted:

Why/how would you lose your number?

I was thinking in case they get caught and the telecom decides to close affected accounts, I wouldn’t want my number to get reassigned. I’ve had it for like 18 years.

But I doubt they’d close your account

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I don't know if anyone mentioned it or noticed, but Koodo changed their base $15 plan to include 250mb of data along with the unlimited text. It's not a ton but I only use about one 1GB booster a year so its nice for people like me. Only problem is if you're already on the $15 plan you don't automatically get switched over to the new one, and have to do it manually and pay the $15. So wait until the end of your pay period to do it if you want ~maximum savings~.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anyone ever use PayBright with eBay? Since Apple got rid of their 0% interest financing i've been looking at alternatives. I mean.... I could just save BUT this is instant gratification. Looking at the XS Max on eBay since they are no longer sold.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Did Public Mobile just remove their $10 plan? I don’t see it anymore.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Cool cool cool

https://twitter.com/ltribe/status/1180155694240223234

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Koodo is currently offering a year of Amazon Prime with new signups.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Dillbag posted:

That's what; $7.50 a month after tax? Better than a year of visual voice mail, I guess. Still have to use Crave if you want HBO though. :-\

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mister Facetious posted:

That's what; $7.50 a month after tax? Better than a year of visual voice mail, I guess. Still have to use Crave if you want HBO though. :-\

Game of Thrones is over. Who needs HBO anymore?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Game of Thrones is over. Who needs HBO anymore?

The Watchmen though... :negative:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dillbag posted:

My brain: maybe I should switch to koodo
Also my brain: I am already on koodo

cnut
May 3, 2016

:3:

cnut fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 27, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-enable-rcs-messaging-1047089/

Tried it on my P20P with Koodo but nothing.

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I got on a 10GB Infinite/unlimited plan from Rogers for $60. Thanks, loyalty offer.

I know this is a few months behind, but how did you manage that? Did they reach out to you online or did you call in? All the plans I can see on their site similar are around $95+ /mo

Was it just a loyalty call to you?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

IKillForPie posted:

I know this is a few months behind, but how did you manage that? Did they reach out to you online or did you call in? All the plans I can see on their site similar are around $95+ /mo

Was it just a loyalty call to you?

I got an email with a number to call into, so I did haha.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I turned on my LG G6 for the first time in a while and... it actually had the Android 9 OTA available. Congrats guys, it took over a year and a new major release stopped in the mean time, but the phone is finally running something newer than 8.0!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Getting tired of Mood messenger so I went back to stock again, and now the RCS stuff is working.

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I got an email with a number to call into, so I did haha.

drat, that's got to be one of the best deals currently available. Can you give me a bit more detail? I might try and call it to see if I can pressure them into changing my plan.

Any terms? Did you have to purchase it with a phone? It's just $65/mo for 10gb + unlimited at a lower speed? Does that include Canada wide calling or any other features?

It makes me feel like I am getting absolutely ripped off if this is a deal they are willing to offer.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

IKillForPie posted:

drat, that's got to be one of the best deals currently available. Can you give me a bit more detail? I might try and call it to see if I can pressure them into changing my plan.

Any terms? Did you have to purchase it with a phone? It's just $65/mo for 10gb + unlimited at a lower speed? Does that include Canada wide calling or any other features?

It makes me feel like I am getting absolutely ripped off if this is a deal they are willing to offer.

I've been a Rogers customer for like 17 years and am a small business account technically (my old job gave me a discount and for some reason my account is still benefiting from that haha) so you may not be able to get the same offer. It's one of Rogers Infinite plans, which is x GB of data at full speed, then throttled to 512kbps after that limit. All Rogers plans include unlimited Canada-wide call/text. I have a value pack added on that gives me unlimited US call/text, voicemail to text, and their device protection plan. I recently got a Pixel 4 XL which with how they do their device financing, added 30/mo to my plan, so all-in I'm paying uhhhhh like whatever that adds up to, I dunno it just auto pays every month

A while ago all the carriers were required to separate out plans and devices, as far as contracts/pricing go, so I would start by investigating their websites to see how things work now as the terminology has changed.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
So how on earth does Fido advertise their data as being time based rather than transfer based?! Like what does "an extra 4 hours of data a month" mean? It makes zero sense.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

So how on earth does Fido advertise their data as being time based rather than transfer based?! Like what does "an extra 4 hours of data a month" mean? It makes zero sense.

So basically you activate it and then can use whatever for an hour

Like you're on a business trip and want to download all 5 seasons of Game of Thrones

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

If any telco would regress to an AOL style billing system, it'd be Rogers.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Chris Knight posted:

Who isnt nostalgic for the days when we used to haggle down the time when unlimted hours started? "Don't call me until after 9:00pm, I'm with Clearnet!" you used to say.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So glad we're bringing minutes back.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

JoelJoel posted:

We're bringing minutes back
them other providers don't know how to act

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Facebook Aunt posted:

We're bringing minutes back
them other providers don't know how to act

You think you're special, try to text your aunt
A picture of your dog, but data caps

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

JoelJoel posted:

Actually speaking of I recently reset my usage stats and noticed I've used 36 minutes in the past year. I had to buy a one-time package of 200 minutes to get out-of-province calling for $5, but I've never used any of it. I could wish public mobile had slightly better iphone support, but whatever. I sort of don't get their market strategy. For a while it really looked like they were prepping to move all their customers over to Telus / Koodo, but then they launched new sales and advertisements, so idk anymore.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

Actually speaking of I recently reset my usage stats and noticed I've used 36 minutes in the past year. I had to buy a one-time package of 200 minutes to get out-of-province calling for $5, but I've never used any of it. I could wish public mobile had slightly better iphone support, but whatever. I sort of don't get their market strategy. For a while it really looked like they were prepping to move all their customers over to Telus / Koodo, but then they launched new sales and advertisements, so idk anymore.

The business model makes perfect sense. They casualize/crowdsource all of the HR expenses and offer marginal discounts. If anything, they’d move customers onto PM, not off of it!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

tuyop posted:

The business model makes perfect sense. They casualize/crowdsource all of the HR expenses and offer marginal discounts. If anything, they’d move customers onto PM, not off of it!

pre-pay though. Also half the price of anyone else

late stage capitalism and exponential year on year profit expectations won't allow it

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Rogers just gave me an extra 5gb a month for two years randomly, this leads me to believe somebody must be offering a better deal than my current $65 for (now)15gb and unlimited canada calling. Is that the case?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mister Facetious posted:

pre-pay though. Also half the price of anyone else

late stage capitalism and exponential year on year profit expectations won't allow it

Yeah this is where I was going with it, it's just so friggin' cheap.

To be clear, I'm not at all complaining, just surprised. I know these days their new cheap plans seem to be speed capped, but even then.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

large hands posted:

Rogers just gave me an extra 5gb a month for two years randomly, this leads me to believe somebody must be offering a better deal than my current $65 for (now)15gb and unlimited canada calling. Is that the case?

Canadian Cellular: Rogers gave me some free data. I'm more terrified than ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Lobok posted:

Canadian Cellular: Rogers gave me some free data. I'm more terrified than ever

in fairness, Verizon did this and got a ~65 million dollar fine. :haw:

( cause they also jacked the grandfathered plans by :10bux: )