Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

I just love the sheer audacity.
So much cognitive dissonance I'm surprised the post itself isn't glitching in and out of realspace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Powered Descent posted:

Out of curiosity, can someone give a tl;dr of the current educational methods for doing a math problem in your head?

A while back I saw a bunch of pages from a current elementary school math textbook and it was pretty much as you describe. All simple concepts that rely on understanding numerical relationships rather than memorizing techniques by rote, but when written out longhand it seems needlessly complex because it's just hard to describe.

For instance, to subtract 74 from 122 it might go something like

okay, so that's pretty close to subtracting 70 from 120
and that's just subtracting 7 from 12 but ten times larger, and we know that's 5
so 120-70 must be 50
then it's actually four less than that because we subtracted 74, not 70, so it's 46
but it's two more than that because we started with 122, so the answer is 48

And like, that's pretty much exactly how I'd do it in my head, just without vocalizing it. But when you write it out it makes people lose their minds because it seems more confusing than two minus four is 8, carry the 1, etc

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Pretty much that. It teaches basic dirty estimations, then you focus in. They are taught different little tricks and poo poo that we picked up as we got older, and forced to do quick math in day to day

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I heard there was no coup in Bolivia

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Powered Descent posted:

Out of curiosity, can someone give a tl;dr of the current educational methods for doing a math problem in your head?

When I was a kid, back in the Pleistocene (i.e. the late 1980s), it was the "imagine doing it on paper and try like hell to remember all the little numbers you wrote in all the various places" method which never ever worked at all for anyone. The only mental math method that ever worked for me was the "pick the nearest 'easy' numbers and then make the corrections back to the actual problem" method, which I had to make up myself because no one ever taught it. Like if it's 21*32, start with 20*30 which is easy, 600. (In case that's not easy, 10*30 is easy, then double that.) Then correct it to 21*30 = one more 30 than (20*30) which was 600, so 630, and then correct the other figure to 21*32 which is two more 21s than (21*30), so that's 630 + (21*2) = 630+42 = 672. It looks a lot more complicated in text than it is in your head, at least if your brain works along similar lines to mine. Anyway, please say they're finally teaching something like this instead of saying you're wrong, you need to imagine the algorithm we do on paper.

I blocked a lot of math from my head a couple of decades ago. :shrug: In my case, once a teacher was able to make put some interest in it, I don't even know how I did it. Hah. I just remember solving calculus mentally, and as fast as I could. Then I started to lose interest on math again and there was no one to snap their fingers and make me get in to it again.

And that's why I'm a graphic designer. :toot:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Captain Hygiene posted:

I heard there was no coup in Bolivia

Inside Bolivia, there are two wolves.

One isn’t a coup.

The other isn’t a coup.

There is no coup in Bolivia.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sagebrush posted:

And like, that's pretty much exactly how I'd do it in my head, just without vocalizing it. But when you write it out it makes people lose their minds because it seems more confusing than two minus four is 8, carry the 1, etc

bulletsponge13 posted:

Pretty much that. It teaches basic dirty estimations, then you focus in. They are taught different little tricks and poo poo that we picked up as we got older, and forced to do quick math in day to day

This is, no joke, one of the most hopeful things I've heard in a long time.

When I was a kid, math was presented a series of steps to be memorized and spat back out on demand. Even if you got the right answer, it was still wrong if you got to it by some other way than the exact method that was taught. It wasn't until I got to college that actually knowing what the hell any of it MEANT meant anything.

There's nothing at all wrong with knowing and applying an algorithm, as long as you know that it IS an algorithm, which is just one method of approaching a particular problem. If elementary-school math education has finally grasped this, then holy cow, I want to kiss it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

There is no coup in Bolivia.

And the streets are paved in cheese.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I knew nothing about Bolivia yesterday but I assumed from all the avatarless twitter accounts supporting the coup leader that whatever was going on was a bad thing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

fisting by many posted:

I knew nothing about Bolivia yesterday but I assumed from all the avatarless twitter accounts supporting the coup leader that whatever was going on was a bad thing.

Actually, there was not a coup from what I've heard

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

He got temporarily banned from the UK, and the song lyrics were specifically about rape and murder. Considering how fast he's coming to Drake's defense, I wouldn't be surprised if it's another one of those "Oh, his lyrics were real thoughts" kind of things.

Those have gently caress all to do with this situation. He’s mad that people booed an artist that he booked as a surprise guest for his own festival. I haven’t seen anything that suggests they were booing Drake because he flirts with teens. They just really wanted the surprise guest to be like, Frank Ocean and were mad about it.

Also like...the entire story with Tyler over the past few years is the revelation that the edgelord poo poo he wrote at 19 was a mask to hide that he was actually a sensitive queer kid. So no I don't think he really wants to rape and kill people.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 07:21 on Nov 12, 2019

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'm not crazy; I'm just colorful. That's what happens when you live 10 years alone in Bolivia: you get colorful...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And wrestling fans know it isn't real, but don't you dare break kayfabe

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My "There was no coup in Bolivia" shirt seems to be causing me to get asked a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

funny how there's never a coup when there's a strategic resource that's about to be easily connected to our trade network and our spies just came back with promotions

maybe we'll trade it to Bismark so Ghandi stops trying to nuke us.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AllezLesBoulez/status/1194085622924939265

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

This is, no joke, one of the most hopeful things I've heard in a long time.

When I was a kid, math was presented a series of steps to be memorized and spat back out on demand. Even if you got the right answer, it was still wrong if you got to it by some other way than the exact method that was taught. It wasn't until I got to college that actually knowing what the hell any of it MEANT meant anything.

There's nothing at all wrong with knowing and applying an algorithm, as long as you know that it IS an algorithm, which is just one method of approaching a particular problem. If elementary-school math education has finally grasped this, then holy cow, I want to kiss it.

Yeah, that's another factor: This way of teaching math is a much better preparation for the sort of advanced mathematics you might encounter in higher education. Taking an expression and breaking it apart, modifying and reshaping it until it's something that you can work with is like 90% of what you do there. Algorithms can only really take you so far.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What if you knew a guy named Al Grithims? Wouldn’t that be weird? It’d be an ice breaker that’s for drat sure.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

oldpainless posted:

What if you knew a guy named Al Grithims? Wouldn’t that be weird? It’d be an ice breaker that’s for drat sure.

More like oldjackhandey

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Womp womp.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Algorithms are already named after a guy, Al-Khwarizm.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sagebrush posted:

i always thought this song was great because "you can't take three from two, two is less than three, so you look at the four in the tens place" is exactly how i was taught to subtract so that made perfect sense, while subtraction with carrying remains bizarre to me.
So, to subtract 13 from 42 by carrying, you go 2-3 is 9, carry the one so 4-1-1 is 2 and the answer is 29. Isn't that exactly what you've just described as the way you learned it? What am I missing?

Powered Descent posted:

The only mental math method that ever worked for me was the "pick the nearest 'easy' numbers and then make the corrections back to the actual problem" method, which I had to make up myself because no one ever taught it. Like if it's 21*32, start with 20*30 which is easy, 600. (In case that's not easy, 10*30 is easy, then double that.) Then correct it to 21*30 = one more 30 than (20*30) which was 600, so 630, and then correct the other figure to 21*32 which is two more 21s than (21*30), so that's 630 + (21*2) = 630+42 = 672. It looks a lot more complicated in text than it is in your head, at least if your brain works along similar lines to mine. Anyway, please say they're finally teaching something like this instead of saying you're wrong, you need to imagine the algorithm we do on paper.
Why wouldn't you just do (21x30)+(2x21) ie. 21x30 (or 21x3x10 if you want to break it down further) is 630, 21x2 is 42, 630+42 is 672. Then you don't have to remember what numbers you've added or subtracted to make the multiplication "easier".

Sagebrush posted:

and that's just subtracting 7 from 12 but ten times larger, and we know that's 5
so 120-70 must be 50
then it's actually four less than that because we subtracted 74, not 70, so it's 46

Don't you have to go through the same process in your head as when you write it down though? I don't get how it can be simpler in your head than it is on paper. Like, I literally cannot follow your example because I have to try to hold too many numbers in my head at one time. By the time I get to line three I've completely forgotten what I'm doing.

I'm not one of those people saying that everyone should do it my way or that any way of doing it is wrong, I just don't get it. How do you even do that? How is it in any way simpler than 122-4 is 118, -70 is 48? I don't think I could even do mental arithmetic at all if I hadn't memorised the addition and multiplication tables from 2-9. I just can't hold enough numbers in my mind at one time.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Tiggum posted:

So, to subtract 13 from 42 by carrying, you go 2-3 is 9, carry the one so 4-1-1 is 2 and the answer is 29. Isn't that exactly what you've just described as the way you learned it? What am I missing?

Why wouldn't you just do (21x30)+(2x21) ie. 21x30 (or 21x3x10 if you want to break it down further) is 630, 21x2 is 42, 630+42 is 672. Then you don't have to remember what numbers you've added or subtracted to make the multiplication "easier".

Don't you have to go through the same process in your head as when you write it down though? I don't get how it can be simpler in your head than it is on paper. Like, I literally cannot follow your example because I have to try to hold too many numbers in my head at one time. By the time I get to line three I've completely forgotten what I'm doing.

I'm not one of those people saying that everyone should do it my way or that any way of doing it is wrong, I just don't get it. How do you even do that? How is it in any way simpler than 122-4 is 118, -70 is 48? I don't think I could even do mental arithmetic at all if I hadn't memorised the addition and multiplication tables from 2-9. I just can't hold enough numbers in my mind at one time.

Cool

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tiggum posted:

You're lucky there's no way to punch people through the internet.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/glinner/status/1192479742051569666

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

giant_ironicat.gif

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Man, if there was one piece of evidence to convince me that there was a coup in Boliva this is it. Same with any time a billionaire says something is bad, the opposite is true. Real curse here is that I bet those accounts are still up, botting away and just generally making everything worse.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Push El Burrito posted:

And the streets are paved in cheese.

Beat me to this

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/parkermolloy/status/1194245390012428290?s=21

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

"and here's precious cinnamon roll Chastity Buttigieg"

:psyduck:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's good they now have a first name as dumb as their surname.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Sagebrush posted:

A while back I saw a bunch of pages from a current elementary school math textbook and it was pretty much as you describe. All simple concepts that rely on understanding numerical relationships rather than memorizing techniques by rote, but when written out longhand it seems needlessly complex because it's just hard to describe.

so 120-70 must be 50

Something like this? Because that's how I've been understanding it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mayoress pete can get it tbh

https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1194226294956920833

"Labor is wrong to want to forgive my tuition"
"this guy had insanely high tuition and isn't typical"
"Actually I didn't pay any tuition at all"

https://twitter.com/broderick/status/1194281530333499395

The iFunny white supremacist beat

zoux has a new favorite as of 17:07 on Nov 12, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

zoux posted:

Mayoress pete can get it tbh

https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1194226294956920833

"Labor is wrong to want to forgive my tuition"
"this guy had insanely high tuition and isn't typical"
"Actually I didn't pay any tuition at all"

https://twitter.com/broderick/status/1194281530333499395

The iFunny white supremacist beat

I thought the whole point of alt-right was to make bigotry seem cool by dropping the Christian facade.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

I thought the whole point of alt-right was to make bigotry seem cool by dropping the Christian facade.

it seems to be one of many things they're currently fighting each other over

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Correct, and that's why the groypers are protesting alt-righters, because they want to bring back the facade to allow for more anti-semitism

Unrelated

It's true that Christmas, Easter, Halloween and birthday wishes are most of what we do in life

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

All the edgy Internet atheists that became Nazis realized that they could take advantage of the inherent white supremacy in American Fundamentalist Christianity.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

Accordion Man posted:

All the edgy Internet atheists that became Nazis realized that they could take advantage of the inherent white supremacy in American Fundamentalist Christianity.

Also, being radically anti-Islam, they circlejerk about the crusades and therefore claim to be Christians despite never having read a single passage of the Bible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Tiggum posted:

Ok boomer