Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

SgtScruffy posted:

Mortal Kombat

Not to directly take away money from your child but the MK machine at Walmart just dropped another $50 bucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Other than physically going to a Walmart is there a good way to see if mine has done an error? I looked online and the website still shows full price. Because that's pretty cool.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Aramek posted:

Other than physically going to a Walmart is there a good way to see if mine has done an error? I looked online and the website still shows full price. Because that's pretty cool.

brickseek.com

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

LifeSunDeath posted:

I wasted so much money on this game, ninja turtles, and double dragon.

Add X-Men to that, and you've described by misspent youth.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Everywhere near me still says 250 but that's a cool website I'll try and remember that.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I used Brickseek. Only one Wally World around me had it listed for $74. Just keep checking especially as we get closer to the holidays. Walmart currently has a Final Fight cab for $199 everywhere, but if you're gonna do the Pi setup you'll need a lot more buttons so you'll need a drill. A 30mm hole saw or 1 1/8 step bit will make a perfect sized hole. I'm doing that on mine to add a Coin 1 and Coin 2.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

At that point why not just build your own full sized cabinet? I got the asteroids one of those things and run it as is, and while it is pretty good the thing looks like its been in an arcade for a decade after a year of being in a basement (and seeing regular use). It's not that much more expensive to do your own from scratch if you're going to be putting that much work into modding one.

e; I guess you can get more uniform results if you're doing multiples and have a lower skill/power tool requirement.

Nephzinho has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Nov 9, 2019

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Space and budget mostly. This is definitely a lot smaller than a regular cab. I'm finishing my basement but we want to install a projector down there for movies so I have to maximize the space. I was offered a few years back to buy a real Simpsons cab but they wanted like $900 and that's before maintaining it.

Plus these get the job done. I have a Micro Center near me that sells complete DIY full size kits with a Pi and everything but they're near like $800. This all in ran me about $400.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Just drunk bought a super colorful stand mixer

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Casu Marzu posted:

Drunk you has good taste.

Frank Dux
Jun 19, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah I used Brickseek. Only one Wally World around me had it listed for $74. Just keep checking especially as we get closer to the holidays. Walmart currently has a Final Fight cab for $199 everywhere, but if you're gonna do the Pi setup you'll need a lot more buttons so you'll need a drill. A 30mm hole saw or 1 1/8 step bit will make a perfect sized hole. I'm doing that on mine to add a Coin 1 and Coin 2.

I built a raspberry pi on a sf cab as well but got mine a few months ago for 150 on clearance. I thought I got a great deal. For ~75 bucks and with a pi/joy sticks/buttons it's still insanely cheap.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Man, I got a silver one for Christmas last year but now I want this one :(

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

T-Square posted:

Man, I got a silver one for Christmas last year but now I want this one :(

Honestly, upgrading from a 5qt to 6qt bowl was well worth it (and the 6qts come in colors now too...)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

Tilt head? WTF Casu. W. T. F.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've had the same tilt head model for going on ten years. The thing is starting to chug and the locking mechanism doesn't actually hold the head down anymore. At this point I'm rooting for it to die so I can replace it with a 6 quart bowl lift.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Even the 6qt units sport lovely parts in the gear box that will eventually cause it to go out. I have had a 575W 6qt for over ten years now and had to replace the original plastic gears (lol) with brass parts, but they also don't last forever. I've done two complete replacements on that. Most recently the lower case had to be replaced because the shaft bushing was worn through.

Maybe don't use it all day every day.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

TotalLossBrain posted:

Even the 6qt units sport lovely parts in the gear box that will eventually cause it to go out. I have had a 575W 6qt for over ten years now and had to replace the original plastic gears (lol) with brass parts, but they also don't last forever. I've done two complete replacements on that. Most recently the lower case had to be replaced because the shaft bushing was worn through.

They definitely aren't being made like they used to, cause my mom has a 6qt lift that's almost as old as I am and she used it almost every day for 30 years, and it only needed a couple repairs

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Bought a tumi backpack from a goon (https://imgur.com/a/niwsDBa) , bought 2 tickets to see the bengals lose another game.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still have my grandma's 5.5qt lift bowl that has a Hobart badge on the back. HELL YEAH

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Eh, tilt head is handy for anything that isn't bread.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TotalLossBrain posted:

Maybe it's a different model (though looks very similar) but these have (powder) metal gears: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qKp-0h9P18&t=1824s

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Eh, tilt head is handy for anything that isn't bread.

Isn't bread?

colas
Feb 14, 2007

This is 40mm too small, if you want it just pm me your address.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Well, I'll be a son of a bitch. The disembodied smirking head of John McClane has arrived and is pretty drat realistic:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Pre-trip report on the DJI Mavic Mini:
Got the Fly More Kit from a local retailer within 24 hours, as DJI hadn't even shipped it. The kit is awesome and well designed, you got everything you need in a neat little kit. I went out to testfly it yesterday, sadly it was already dark and there was intermittent rain, so I only took it up once. Still, even though it is light, it feels very well built and was incredibly stable. I'm looking forward to whenever I catch enough daylight to play with it more.

Also, I live close to an airport and there are some areas I can't even launch at my own risk, which is annoying but oh well. I would be allowed to fly at certain heights in these areas.

I am only now noticing some other drones in a similar price range that seem good quality (like the Xiaomi) but I'm not disappointed yet.

Also, shoutout to the tutorial (I accidentally started) being exactly like in every game. "Turn your camera left. Turn your camera right
Walk left. Walk right"

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Trabant posted:

Well, I'll be a son of a bitch. The disembodied smirking head of John McClane has arrived and is pretty drat realistic:

LOL.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

Trabant posted:

It’s like 40% Bruce Willis and 60% French Stewart

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

SEKCobra posted:

Pre-trip report on the DJI Mavic Mini:
Got the Fly More Kit from a local retailer within 24 hours, as DJI hadn't even shipped it. The kit is awesome and well designed, you got everything you need in a neat little kit. I went out to testfly it yesterday, sadly it was already dark and there was intermittent rain, so I only took it up once. Still, even though it is light, it feels very well built and was incredibly stable. I'm looking forward to whenever I catch enough daylight to play with it more.

Also, I live close to an airport and there are some areas I can't even launch at my own risk, which is annoying but oh well. I would be allowed to fly at certain heights in these areas.

I am only now noticing some other drones in a similar price range that seem good quality (like the Xiaomi) but I'm not disappointed yet.

Also, shoutout to the tutorial (I accidentally started) being exactly like in every game. "Turn your camera left. Turn your camera right
Walk left. Walk right"

My understanding is that it is the software that really makes the DJI stand out from the competition - would you agree with that?

Also, what does the video look like in crappy weather - as opposed to the glorious sunshine you get in all the review videos?

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Shut up Meg posted:

Also, what does the video look like in crappy weather - as opposed to the glorious sunshine you get in all the review videos?

I did some test flights today in cold, windy and overcast weather with mine, the video quality is pretty good for an entry level budget drone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faNX37LtN3o

I did notice a few times where the live feed on my phone was lagging, but it never affected the control of the drone. Overall this was a good purchase.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

-CHA posted:

I did some test flights today in cold, windy and overcast weather with mine, the video quality is pretty good for an entry level budget drone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faNX37LtN3o

I did notice a few times where the live feed on my phone was lagging, but it never affected the control of the drone. Overall this was a good purchase.

Thanks.

Man, you live somewhere pretty- I bet that is gorgeous in the summer.

I see quite a lot of artifacting, but I assume that is down to youtube's lovely compression, rather than the footage.

What do still images look like?

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Shut up Meg posted:

Thanks.

Man, you live somewhere pretty- I bet that is gorgeous in the summer.

I see quite a lot of artifacting, but I assume that is down to youtube's lovely compression, rather than the footage.

What do still images look like?

Thanks, the park is one of my favorite places to walk.

Yeah, there was a small amount of artifacts on the original video that the youtube compression didn't do any favors.

The still images are pretty much on par with newer phone cameras. From what I have used so far, the still images have more control options than the video.

The photos are jpeg only, so it is a bit disappointing if you are use to shooting and editing RAW files.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

-CHA posted:

Thanks, the park is one of my favorite places to walk.

Yeah, there was a small amount of artifacts on the original video that the youtube compression didn't do any favors.

The still images are pretty much on par with newer phone cameras. From what I have used so far, the still images have more control options than the video.

The photos are jpeg only, so it is a bit disappointing if you are use to shooting and editing RAW files.

drat that looks far better than I expected for stills.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Trabant posted:

Max Payne remake lookin’ good!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Trip report on the DJI Mavic Mini:
It's loving amazing, buy it now.

No but seriously, I love this thing. I've only flown it in overcast and windy conditions, and it's an absolute trooper. The video is stable as gently caress, you can fly anywhere you want and tje controls are extremely stable and responsive. I've found range to be quite limited inside the city, but you wanna stay close in order to monitor for collision hazards anyway.
As for free-air range, I have no idea, it was too windy for me to comfortably fly it further out when it was already extremely far away.

Hell, this thing is amazing just for scouting, being able to video it as well feels almost like a bonus. I am seriously thinking about starting an evaluation for emergency scene management with this thing. I know they did it with bigger drones, but this thing is a game changer.

The fact that it is fairly low risk makes it even nicer, because I tend to worry a lot, but I know I'm not putting anyone in danger with this thing and can dare to fly over places I'd be scared to drop something bigger.
Legally, it's also great, because unlike any heavier drones, the Mavic Mini can be flown almost anywhere.

I've crashed it once during extremely strong wind with sport mode engaged, brought it down and too close to a metal railing. Entirely my fault, the drone had already told me several times to land because of strong wind. Wouldn't have happened in any other mode, I just didn't do a good job slowing down. Only damage is a small chunk broken out of one blade, it almost seems unaffected by it, but I'll change it anyway, just to be safe.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Have you tried attaching a knife to it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SEKCobra posted:

Trip report on the DJI Mavic Mini:
It's loving amazing, buy it now.

No but seriously, I love this thing. I've only flown it in overcast and windy conditions, and it's an absolute trooper. The video is stable as gently caress, you can fly anywhere you want and tje controls are extremely stable and responsive. I've found range to be quite limited inside the city, but you wanna stay close in order to monitor for collision hazards anyway.
As for free-air range, I have no idea, it was too windy for me to comfortably fly it further out when it was already extremely far away.

Hell, this thing is amazing just for scouting, being able to video it as well feels almost like a bonus. I am seriously thinking about starting an evaluation for emergency scene management with this thing. I know they did it with bigger drones, but this thing is a game changer.

The fact that it is fairly low risk makes it even nicer, because I tend to worry a lot, but I know I'm not putting anyone in danger with this thing and can dare to fly over places I'd be scared to drop something bigger.
Legally, it's also great, because unlike any heavier drones, the Mavic Mini can be flown almost anywhere.

I've crashed it once during extremely strong wind with sport mode engaged, brought it down and too close to a metal railing. Entirely my fault, the drone had already told me several times to land because of strong wind. Wouldn't have happened in any other mode, I just didn't do a good job slowing down. Only damage is a small chunk broken out of one blade, it almost seems unaffected by it, but I'll change it anyway, just to be safe.

Does it have some sort of return home function that you can use to bring it back to you if you've flown a little far out and got turned around?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Does it have some sort of return home function that you can use to bring it back to you if you've flown a little far out and got turned around?

It does and I wanted to test it, but with the weather I didn't wanna put it out too far. As far as I can tell, it just goes to the height you set for the return home feature (preferably very high) and lands straight down at the GPS location.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm definitely curious about the GPS restrictions on it as I was very disappointed that my Mavic 2 Pro would not fly in the park next to my house because it's technically in an airport's flight path. If this thing doesn't have the same location restrictions because it's under the weight limit, I'm all over it.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm definitely curious about the GPS restrictions on it as I was very disappointed that my Mavic 2 Pro would not fly in the park next to my house because it's technically in an airport's flight path. If this thing doesn't have the same location restrictions because it's under the weight limit, I'm all over it.

No fly zones apply to all drones regardless of weight. Larger drones have additional restrictions about flying over people, requiring registration etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

blunt posted:

No fly zones apply to all drones regardless of weight. Larger drones have additional restrictions about flying over people, requiring registration etc.

Is there an easily accessible map of these locations?