Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

They should lower the price, $20 is to high for a digital product.

does it ... does it hurt to be this wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah 20 bucks is extremely reasonable.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
$20 is fine for a digital product in general, the problem is that a boardgame adaptation that you can't play on mobile and you can't play multiplayer is not a very appealing digital product

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

$20 is fine for a digital product in general, the problem is that a boardgame adaptation that you can't play on mobile and you can't play multiplayer is not a very appealing digital product

Steam literally let's you play local multiplayer games online now. It works perfectly with turn based games and only one person needs the game

Aeons end works great for example.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Jarvisi posted:

Steam literally let's you play local multiplayer games online now. It works perfectly with turn based games and only one person needs the game

hadn't heard of this, if that works well it makes the game look a lot more appealing for sure

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Jarvisi posted:

I always understood that to be basically streaming plus remote control, how does it handle hidden information? (I have no idea if Spirit Island uses hidden information)

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Bistromatic posted:

I always understood that to be basically streaming plus remote control, how does it handle hidden information? (I have no idea if Spirit Island uses hidden information)

It's just streaming the same screen, so it would be bad for that. Both Aeons end and spirit island are fully cooperative games so there's no hidden information as far as I know.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

homullus posted:

does it ... does it hurt to be this wrong?

Not at all, let me rephrase.

In this case I feel like $20 is to high for me to pay for a digital product that will eventually be abandoned. I have the physical copy of spirit island and consider it to be one of the best purchases I have made gaming wise.

I do own Civ and all the expansions on the iPad but that is not a game the ports well to cardboard. Maybe I am not the target audience for the digital version of spirit island.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

Not at all, let me rephrase.

In this case I feel like $20 is to high for me to pay for a digital product that will eventually be abandoned. I have the physical copy of spirit island and consider it to be one of the best purchases I have made gaming wise.

What do you mean by "eventually be abandoned?" Like I say, if the audience is there at all (and they have been), they port over all the physical content sooner or later. If you mean that sooner or later they'll stop developing it...well, yeah? It'll be done at some point. I guess it's possible that sometime it might need updates just to run and not be supported anymore, but I don't see any reason to confidently expect that in this case.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I swear, every update for The Forest Hymn & Picnic makes me want the game even more. I think it will finally be the pastoral life game I can get to the table with a specific group of friends.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

atholbrose posted:

I swear, every update for The Forest Hymn & Picnic makes me want the game even more. I think it will finally be the pastoral life game I can get to the table with a specific group of friends.

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding. It started out sounding like excuses and blossomed into 11th dimensional artistry.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh my god

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spacebase/steve-hampsons-tabletop-games-kickstarter-report-2019

quote:

The report compiles all this years successful Kickstarter projects in the Tabletop Games category. I have added another level of category and subcategory, for example Games Accessories - Dice. The listings are ordered by the number of backers, projects from the same Creator are grouped together.

It is literally just a list of what tabletop kickstarters got funded in 2019.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The next Torg Eternity kickstarter has launched, but instead of using Kickstarter they're doing it directly at GameOnTabletop, which is the site Uliseses Spiel uses for post-KS pledge management. They've also run a bunch of projects directly on there; the main difference so far seems to be that it actually charges you up front so it really is more of a pre-order than anything else.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

atholbrose posted:

He made a new font because his hand-lettered chapter headers were making the files too big, and now he has given away the font for free.

To repeat - he hand-lettered a whole lot of headers, but because it made the pdf too big, he made a font and now he has shared the font and also the font is amazing.

https://coneofnegativeenergy.com/oldcupboard/

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

dwarf74 posted:

He made a new font because his hand-lettered chapter headers were making the files too big, and now he has given away the font for free.

To repeat - he hand-lettered a whole lot of headers, but because it made the pdf too big, he made a font and now he has shared the font and also the font is amazing.

https://coneofnegativeenergy.com/oldcupboard/

Cecil is, no joke, one of the coolest and nicest and most creative people I know in tabletop. In a just world The Forest Hymn would have done Root numbers, but at least I'm glad to see him still trucking along with it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Evil Mastermind posted:

The next Torg Eternity kickstarter has launched, but instead of using Kickstarter they're doing it directly at GameOnTabletop, which is the site Uliseses Spiel uses for post-KS pledge management. They've also run a bunch of projects directly on there; the main difference so far seems to be that it actually charges you up front so it really is more of a pre-order than anything else.

I think every Torg KS I've backed had a near-complete PDF ready to go either right after the campaign ended or maybe even before, so I'd call it a win.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
So we've reached a place where people can just say "inspired by SotDL" in their marketing copy. I like that.

I missed that Kickstarter, which is too bad, because it's right up my alley. I'll have to hunt it down when it comes out. Hopefully I can track down a hardcover version at not-exorbitant prices.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Haha wow

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/goatdice/goat-dice-changing-the-way-we-roll/comments

That kickstarter for the d20s that had the swirly liquid in them was suspended by kickstarter because it turns out the guy running it was convicted last year of racketeering. Not the way I was expecting that project to end.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Meanwhile, Dispel Dice is north of $2 Million.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dispeldice/dispel-dice

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I really don't understand this one. the numbers are so hard to read.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I think these look cool, but I don't think they're $50 a set plus shipping cool.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I really don't understand this one. the numbers are so hard to read.

They're artisenal gamer jewelry, and nerds are horrible with money.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

That's 45,000 sets of dice and they've still got over three weeks left in the campaign :eyepop:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I don't believe they're going to be able to deliver with the volume involved.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It is starting to look like Jenna Moran may be able to start the Kickstarter for Glitch sometime before the end of the month.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Stephenls posted:

They’ve almost certainly just contracted a factory that normally produces low-to-mid-range jewelry—resin imitation gems, etc—to make some of their normal stuff, but in dice shapes. They’d need new molds but not new production equipment or staff. I’ve never heard of it being done before, partially because that sort of resin isn’t super durable and will probably break if you roll it too forcefully, but wouldn’t be difficult to do.

And if you’re really into the aesthetics of fancy dice but do all your real rolling in an app, picking up a set isn’t any less sensible than buying e.g. a fancy snow globe.

That and the economies of scale for doing it that way as opposed to just ordering from Chessex aren't great.

I suppose the KS has Enough Money to live with that though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm curious, did anyone actually pledge for Dispel Dice?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

GrandpaPants posted:

One of the guys in my D&D group did

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

jivjov posted:

One of the guys in my D&D group did
One guy in my group, too.

Not me - I love how they look but "small kickstarter achieves outlandishly enormous success" is a recipe for fulfillment problems.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I backed it in the first like 10 minutes of launch. What can I say, I like dice? We're even giving custom dice as wedding favors at my wedding next spring.

edit: to be fair, most of my dice have a special meaning to me. They are a reminder of a special event or memories of a beloved convention or game or something. My mother also sells dice on ebay so I partially picked these up to see if it would be something worth her carrying (not like there is any chance she is going to get any at this point).

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

nesbit37 posted:

I backed it in the first like 10 minutes of launch. What can I say, I like dice? We're even giving custom dice as wedding favors at my wedding next spring.

edit: to be fair, most of my dice have a special meaning to me. They are a reminder of a special event or memories of a beloved convention or game or something. My mother also sells dice on ebay so I partially picked these up to see if it would be something worth her carrying (not like there is any chance she is going to get any at this point).

Hey, cool, one of my friends gave out wedding dice years ago. They also had a d20 cake.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Voidhert Symphony has about two hours left and is almost at its final stretch goal.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

A friend pledged for at least one set. They have enough of a Thing about dice that they've begun moulding their own.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I did. I'm probably not going to use them but I think they're cool and I also like supporting people making things I'm interested in.

Of course I backed kamigakari too so :shrug:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

Can you share the details / photo of your custom dice?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/funforge/namiji-the-next-chapter-in-the-tokaido-universe/

Tokaido sequel (?) is already funded. I love the aesthetic, but the gameplay is probably shallow as hell.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Ropes4u posted:

Can you share the details / photo of your custom dice?

Sure, though the only thing custom about them is one of the sides. We are getting 2 done. The first is a 16mm D6, this is the final sample:

The 2nd is a 34mm D20. This is the first sample, we need to fix the vector image so it looks more crisp (the sample was also done on a factory reject so the die looks a little wonky). Also the inking will be in red, not the white shown here:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That is adorkable. :glomp:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

Sure, though the only thing custom about them is one of the sides. We are getting 2 done. The first is a 16mm D6, this is the final sample:

The 2nd is a 34mm D20. This is the first sample, we need to fix the vector image so it looks more crisp (the sample was also done on a factory reject so the die looks a little wonky). Also the inking will be in red, not the white shown here:

That’s kickass, very nice touch with Pi. I hope You are serving pie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
We are. No cake at this wedding, only pie.