Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

OneEightHundred posted:

Yeah and this is while he's whining about leftist hecklers disrupting civil discourse and promoting a book called "TRIGGERED." Really upping the irony dosage.

Not just whined, but ran away. And the very best part is that the hecklers thought Trump, sr. didn't go far enough in his racism and nationalism!

Glad to see they're starting to eat themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

new friend from school posted:

NR does nothing but smoke crack. I’m all but certain that their gun articles are procedurally generated, and I’m not exaggerating—they are too loving stupid to be sincere or even satirical. Maybe that’s true for all their other poo poo too.

haha I've not clicked on an NR article and read it but holy poo poo these short sentences and simple declarations read like an english assignment from 4th grade

like- the word choice has to be an editorial decision to go for the least educated motherfuckers alive

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

BiggerBoat posted:

This is the Alabama dude that murdered the Trump Baby Balloon.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RawStory/status/1193988603300470784

he was "literally shaking" what a snowflake

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Imagine thinking Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson are "news anchors".

Buddy, you ain't watchin' "the news". You're watching editorial summaries of "the news".

I watch Cody Johnston, John Oliver, and Sam Seder... I'd never use the word "anchor" to describe any of those motherfuckers.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Y2K talk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

Of course anybody that's written basically any code at all curses time because it's just a loving bastard to work with.

Actual programmer.

Modern people who see that we got through it undersell the degree to which the effects from these problems BEFORE THEY HAPPENED were "we don't know, and we can't afford to find out". This forms a very bad cocktail when legit crazy preppers get wind of it so it looks crazy in retrospect.

I had a client hit the 2038 problem because their literal graybeards weren't thinking that they were issuing bus passes that had a "forever" expiry date 25 years in the future, and we started a project for them just as the calendar rolled around. All of a sudden bus passes were expiring back in the 1970s (since 1/1/1970 is the Linux's 0 date).

The real solution today is:
-Time is hard (think about all the different timezones, weird places that do 30-minute DST or whatever... and you need to account for ALL of them FAST).
-Computers are way faster than they used to be.
-So people just use prewritten libraries now, where smart people solved all the problems, and our computers are fast enough to handle the bulky computations.

In programmer land if you're doing anything whatsoever with time and you're not using a modern library to do it, you will regret this, please move to modern libraries right now regardless of cost or seek other employment. (There are exceptions but hopefully very smart people are there and know when to ignore the rule.)

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

revwinnebago posted:

In programmer land if you're doing anything whatsoever with time and you're not using a modern library to do it, you will regret this, please move to modern libraries right now regardless of cost or seek other employment. (There are exceptions but hopefully very smart people are there and know when to ignore the rule.)

Oh god, so much this. There is no earthly reason to rewrite the time wheel.

I have a coworker who's never studied CS or software engineering, but needs to learn scripting for work, and I made the mistake of thinking he had more knowledge than he actually has... And he tried to write his own time libraries in Powershell.

We had a nice Come to Jesus after that...

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Pre-written libraries are the best thing, but even having a model to base off-of is such a time saver anyone who isn't trying to normalize code is a monster who deserves to be driven-out.

Spend my days updating/modifying old pre-model systems for databases and the old "cowboy" methods of "whatever gets it done" makes me crazy. Sure, forego established in-program processes and just dump it in a stored procedure, you loving twat. That's the way to go...

Good Lord.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

Samovar posted:

So how are the right handling the heckling of Don Jr.?

From what I see, Breitbart and Fox news are just not reporting it, which is pretty normal for them
with embarrassing/confusing stories.

It seems like there is a schism happening with one faction (Fuentes, milo, who else?) demanding more overt white nationalism and anti semitism, but of course Charlie kirk, TPUSA and Don Jr. and Fox aren't interested in being in a room with them. Breitbart even likes to keep it a little more discreet than that and doesn't want an in-fight. But Breitbart just doesn't cover news they dont like. There's a lot of comments on BB like "why are my posts being deleted and why are racial slurs filtered in the comments?" - I think that's this group speaking up.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Peanut Butler posted:

haha I've not clicked on an NR article and read it but holy poo poo these short sentences and simple declarations read like an english assignment from 4th grade

like- the word choice has to be an editorial decision to go for the least educated motherfuckers alive

Yeah that's why I don't think they're even written by real people. They are all credited to real-looking authors, but I suspect those people might not be real either. Or maybe they are and they pay for the credit? Who knows, either way poo poo's way too stupid to be what it purports to be.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
NPR is getting on my nerves. They keep saying "Alleged prid pro quo" and basically reporting the impeachment inquiry as if the motherfucking POTUS and his underlings haven't precisely admitted to it. There's no "alleged" about it. They loving bragged about it.

"A PERFECT" phone call"

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
There are a lot of reasons to be angry at NPR but adhering to journalistic standards wrt a crime isn't one of them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Putting "alleged" is as standard as you can get. You can find someone waist deep in the bodies that 50,000 people just saw him slaughter and they would still say "alleged" because of the whole "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law" thing.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Shbobdb posted:

There are a lot of reasons to be angry at NPR but adhering to journalistic standards wrt a crime isn't one of them.

Except that quid pro quo isn't a crime, it should be the president engaged in a quid pro quo to allegedly extort the Ukrainian government to investigate a political rival.

They admitted to the quid pro quo and their defense is that a quid pro quo isn't a crime, and technically that argument is correct. the "alleged" crime is bribery and extortion.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Republicans are making every argument at once because FUD, it doesnt really matter what they are saying.

The quid pro quo is literally the crime, it's like admitting that yeah i BORROWED that TV so what?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I went to the store earlier and gave them money in exchange for my groceries. It was a quid pro quo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It surprisingly becomes an issue when the pro quo is something illegal and the quid was never yours for bargaining.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Oh god, so much this. There is no earthly reason to rewrite the time wheel.

I have a coworker who's never studied CS or software engineering, but needs to learn scripting for work, and I made the mistake of thinking he had more knowledge than he actually has... And he tried to write his own time libraries in Powershell.

We had a nice Come to Jesus after that...

The idea of a "time library" sound very sci-fi dystopian and I would like to know more.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The quid pro quo is literally the crime, it's like admitting that yeah i BORROWED that TV so what?
Asking a foreign government to announce an investigation into a domestic political rival should have been impeachable by itself. The "quid pro quo" standard was actually an attempt to shift the goalposts back, but of course it turns out that the worst version of events is what happened.

The same thing is incidentally happening right now with the "no collusion" thing in the not-getting-nearly-enough-coverage Roger Stone trial where it's now turning out that, yeah, things were actually very colludy.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

revwinnebago posted:

Yes, well, sometimes you're working on a legacy system that's known to be fragile and fussy about what you do to it still using Java 6 and burns down if you try to use anything other than very old versions of Java's Date class.

No I've never had to deal with that sort of thing, nosirree, not me no my eye isn't twitching your eye is twitching.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OneEightHundred posted:

Asking a foreign government to announce an investigation into a domestic political rival should have been impeachable by itself.

Even if there is reasonable belief that they were already being immoral with that country while in office? Like.. say on a national tv appearance?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Tree Dude posted:

I went to the store earlier and gave them money in exchange for my groceries. It was a quid pro quo.

I went to my local Red Lobster and gave them money in exchange for food. It was a squid pro quo

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

CuddleCryptid posted:

Putting "alleged" is as standard as you can get. You can find someone waist deep in the bodies that 50,000 people just saw him slaughter and they would still say "alleged" because of the whole "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law" thing.

this isnt a criminal court.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You can get sued for calling someone a criminal before they're convicted. It's dumb, but that's freedom.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I went to my local Red Lobster and gave them money in exchange for food. It was a squid pro quo

:golfclap:

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

no NO DO NOT APPLAUD THAT

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

revwinnebago posted:

You're triggering me insinuating time libraries are actually solving problems.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Calculating time in SAS is fun. You just have to know like fifty formats :)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

:golfclap:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ManBoyChef posted:

this isnt a criminal court.

It will end up in one. You don't really think that Trump is going to get to just walk away from this, do you?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

CuddleCryptid posted:

It will end up in one. You don't really think that Trump is going to get to just walk away from this, do you?

I do think that, yes

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I just learned about Newsmax TV this morning

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsmax_TV

"Featuring experts like Michelle Malkin, Bill O'Reilly and I forgot the other conservabot" where I can "get all the facts the media won't tell you". Don't know if it's for people who think FOX is too liberal or what but it made me roll my eyes and I'd never heard of it.

I can say with confidence that it's probably terrible though

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CuddleCryptid posted:

*Gestures wildly at 2016-2019* Kinda, yeah. Even if I go full pants on head loony bin wackadoodle and say I think he'll get impeached and removed, Democrats will be knocking down the doors in their rush to :decorum: and pardon him because blurble hurf something something bipartisanship.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

CuddleCryptid posted:

If there is a God not even He could remove Trump from power at this point

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BiggerBoat posted:

I just learned about Newsmax TV this morning

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsmax_TV

"Featuring experts like Michelle Malkin, Bill O'Reilly and I forgot the other conservabot" where I can "get all the facts the media won't tell you". Don't know if it's for people who think FOX is too liberal or what but it made me roll my eyes and I'd never heard of it.

I can say with confidence that it's probably terrible though

:lol: a local channel here used to run Newsmax on one of it's subchannels. It always looked like it was a public access program. Luckily that station shut down and H&I moved to a different station so I don't have to feel bad about watching old episodes of Star Trek.

I recently discovered that there are some subchannels in this country that run Infowars.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

codenameFANGIO posted:

I do think that, yes

In reality, probably correct. But it should still be treated as if it was a criminal case.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

*Gestures wildly at 2016-2019* Kinda, yeah. Even if I go full pants on head loony bin wackadoodle and say I think he'll get impeached and removed, Democrats will be knocking down the doors in their rush to :decorum: and pardon him because blurble hurf something something bipartisanship.

This is just idiotic. Nixon was pardoned by his own VP. What universe do you envision where a Democratic president following Trump would pardon him? Even in the name of craven political calculation it's the worst thing they could possibly do for their own reelection chances.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Zwabu posted:

This is just idiotic. Nixon was pardoned by his own VP. What universe do you envision where a Democratic president following Trump would pardon him? Even in the name of craven political calculation it's the worst thing they could possibly do for their own reelection chances.

I don't think a Democrat pardons Trump. I do think that if things get bad, Trump might resign and have Pence pardon him. (Though contrary to that shirt, it wouldn't allow Trump to return to the presidency.)

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Jurgan posted:

I don't think a Democrat pardons Trump. I do think that if things get bad, Trump might resign and have Pence pardon him. (Though contrary to that shirt, it wouldn't allow Trump to return to the presidency.)

Right, but the post I was responding to (and there have been others on these forums making a similar claim) is that Democrats would use the power of the pardon to pardon Trump. There's no universe where that makes any sense for even the most cowardly politically triangulating Democrat to do.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Lol if you think Trump is getting impeached. No way Pelosi does that. There will be a big dog and pony show and then it will be close to Election so Pelosi will let the people decide. And the people will elect Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CuddleCryptid posted:

Oh man, you are in for a huge letdown