Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Lil Peeler posted:

I really don't understand where this gut reactionary hatred of the West wing comes from. I've watched a series twice now and none of the poo poo that posters attribute to it happens. Most the time it's about choosing the right action over the popular action, or the importance of throwing political weight around when you can afford to and the ramifications that might have. The situation you're describing generally doesn't exist.

Hell, there's even a scene where the Republican presidential candidate is asked to give lip service to Iowa ethanol subsidies, but looks at the script and says "gently caress it" because he knows it's a lie.

I mean even the very first episode culminates with Martin Sheen telling a bunch of religious bigots off and using his position to pressure a minister into denouncing Christian extremists.

I haven't seen the show in 20 years, but your description of those scenes sound like weird wish fulfillment fantasies, and not poo poo a live thinking human would do. Scrubs daydream-level disconnect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Lil Peeler posted:

I really don't understand where this gut reactionary hatred of the West wing comes from. I've watched a series twice now and none of the poo poo that posters attribute to it happens. Most the time it's about choosing the right action over the popular action, or the importance of throwing political weight around when you can afford to and the ramifications that might have. The situation you're describing generally doesn't exist.

Hell, there's even a scene where the Republican presidential candidate is asked to give lip service to Iowa ethanol subsidies, but looks at the script and says "gently caress it" because he knows it's a lie.

I mean even the very first episode culminates with Martin Sheen telling a bunch of religious bigots off and using his position to pressure a minister into denouncing Christian extremists.

Dave Anthony of the Dollop is doing a podcast called The West Wing Thing where they watch each episode in order and break down exactly why the politics are poo poo. They're worse than you remember, I promise.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

P much everything is worse than I remember.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

When's the last time you watched it? Because it's way worse than it seems. Even the super drama moments like with the dominionist were like, okay but what did he do beyond scolding her after ensuring her repugnant views got a national platform? Why should I believe these people are heroic and concerned about people when one of them just spent an episode talking down to Not Bernie Sanders and then bravely putting forward a bill to implement grim austerity to solve a problem with no legitimacy in the first place?

It's not how anything has ever worked, it's the lanyard and commentariat's equivalent of conan the barbarian, it ultimately strives to say that there's no amount of dead bodies of the working class that is too high a price to pay if it means we Come Together And Get Something Done, Even If It Is A Dreadful Compromise Between the Fringe Right and Center Right

Sorkin has a seething and open contempt for anybody to the left of Reagan and it permeates all his work, it's why the stuff he writes in direct reaction to it is so dreadful and pathetic. The man has nothing to offer you if you want good things in the world - his theory of power is that harming people by the scores of millions is okay if you don't have to see them and a lobbyist is telling you it's okay.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

also that's not how a dominionist would react to some affluent liberal scold trying to quote scripture at them lmfao, these people are deranged and have never interacted with somebody who isn't worth 6 figures whose opinions are decided by the highest bidder

they've never read it, they don't give a poo poo, they just want to hurt and control people and bring back segregation, that's it, that's as deep as it goes and everything else is just worked backwards to that

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I've never watched The West Wing but I sure saw this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypsQO3dFiB8

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Nov 13, 2019

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Lil Peeler posted:

I really don't understand where this gut reactionary hatred of the West wing comes from.

check out The Worst Wing podcast, op. it's funny, and not unrelentingly critical, gives credit where it's due :)

Heath posted:

Dave Anthony of the Dollop is doing a podcast called The West Wing Thing where they watch each episode in order and break down exactly why the politics are poo poo. They're worse than you remember, I promise.

wtf, this is stolen valor

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

this is one of the most dreadful things ever created and it's the most perfect representation of how desperately the libs want to lick boot

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

if you gulag'd every single person who finds that inspirational and they were never heard from again in any circumstance, it would result in fully automated luxury gay space communism every single time

this mindset and these people are a cancer and they need cut out

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Epic High Five posted:

the problem most poll predictions had is that they assumed that whoever got the most votes wins, which is foolish, as no American alive today has ever been allowed to vote for the President

Nonsense, five hundred thirty-eight people get to do it every single time.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

this is absolutely mind-breakingly hilarious

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

d̫̝̳̰̘̑͛̇o̥͙͉̪̗̻̝ͯ́̐̑ͭ͌͂n̎ͧ̆̾̎̅̈́ ̬̘̪ͪ̏ͨ̚k̜̙͇ͬ̆e̫ê̠̗̆̽̑f̜̱͚ͭͧ̇͑ͣ͐͐e̯̼̭̐r̖͓̙̻̋

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Lil Peeler posted:

Yeah and like I said, that doesn't really happen...there aren't a whole lot of moments in the show where people go "ah! I was wrong all along and now I will support you."

A prime example of this is when Josh Lyman is trying to get representatives to sign on to a gun control bill, and it's a watered down version of an earlier bill. In one case he uses the pressure of the office to say "vote our way or we'll primary you" and in another instance the rep simply won't vote for the watered down bill no matter how many platitudes and arguments Lyman makes. Neither of these situations have the other side miraculously coming around. Most of the negotiating in the show is done with political favors and it illustrates the value of social and political currency in Washington.

shut the gently caress up, liberal

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i like the west wing

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

https://twitter.com/theview/status/718524329714065408

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Lil Peeler posted:

lmao

Serf
May 5, 2011

i lived with a guy who got really into the west wing around the time of the 2016 primaries. he went from being a relatively apolitical person to a hardcore hillary-was-robbed russiagate #resistance person after 11/9. the west wing rots your brain

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The west wing was terrible

Remember the jackal song? Thsts the cringiest poo poo ever

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM1Vt6MyKj0

what a fine public servant toby (and by extension bartlett) is

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Libs are the worst

loving guillotine for all of them

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The only thing I recall about the West Wing is the scene with the cartographers.

I would go a step further and say that world maps should be centered on the Pacific, since when you center on the Atlantic, a bunch of island chains are cut off, but a Pacific-centered map only cuts off Greenland and maybe the Azores.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Aha, he didn’t say that he liked the characters on the west wing, just that he liked the show and it was accurate.

Is there a good fictional president in modern media?

MiddleInitial
Oct 30, 2012

Remulak posted:

Aha, he didn’t say that he liked the characters on the west wing, just that he liked the show and it was accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwQzfS-Di98

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Remulak posted:

president bridget strand

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Remulak posted:

Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho :911:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

President Lone Starr, anyone?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Feldegast42 posted:

President Lone Starr, anyone?

Only one man would give me the raspberry.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Remulak posted:

The one from idiocracy

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

yes but dyk lagavulin?

https://youtu.be/M7pebPV6274

sorkin is a hack.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Remulak posted:

Kevin James in the hit film Pixels

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

Serf posted:

i lived with a guy who got really into the west wing around the time of the 2016 primaries. he went from being a relatively apolitical person to a hardcore hillary-was-robbed russiagate #resistance person after 11/9. the west wing rots your brain

Sorry about the loss of your friend

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.

Remulak posted:

Everyday the president gets out of bed and yells at God in Latin until they take a poo poo, or so I've read.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

lol what the gently caress was that even about

pointless inter-character drama > NO YOU SIT DOWN > sir, i love are troop (?) > dramatic success music and everyone sharing knowing smiles

that scene went through like 4 different aesthetics and it was just complete nonsense. the dramatic music at the end felt forced like they were hoping you'd pick up the audio queue and go "oh yaas this character did a good thing" instead of "what the gently caress was any of that about"

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Remulak posted:

the president character in Frost vs Nixon seemed like a pretty cool guy to me

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ElGroucho posted:

this remains the only scene i've ever watched and i still don't understand why my dumbass ex made me watch it

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Call Your Grandma posted:

the president character in Frost vs Nixon seemed like a pretty cool guy to me

I mean it turned out that he was right about everything regarding presidential power

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Epic High Five posted:

The one from idiocracy

Pththya-lyi posted:

Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho :911:

:colbert:

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Freaking Crumbum posted:

pointless inter-character drama > NO YOU SIT DOWN > sir, i love are troop (?) > dramatic success music and everyone sharing knowing smiles

that scene went through like 4 different aesthetics and it was just complete nonsense. the dramatic music at the end felt forced like they were hoping you'd pick up the audio queue and go "oh yaas this character did a good thing" instead of "what the gently caress was any of that about"

also the sorkin staple of "fast talking super smart man tells off dumbass woman"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Freaking Crumbum posted:

it's about putting that stupid bitch flight attendant in her place for telling the disruptive passenger to sit down, obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

This scene was so bad that it made me hate that actor in everything, even things I had already seen him in. Finishing the 4th season of Rectify he showed up again and I forgot he was in the show and was surprised how much I had grown to hate his face and the sound of his voice.