Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The first episode has two Mandalorians and one of them is not a bounty Hunter

Ok. Haven't actually watched it. Just going off what dude said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Chomp8645 posted:

lol Disney dumpstered the EU then diligently began recreating every bit of it in the same spirit.

The mandalorian wars were a hoax!!!!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Owlbear Camus posted:

nic nolte as the same kind of little monster that played keepaway with c3po's head was great. "i have spoken" is a baller way to end a conversation with authority

Eliot Kalan had a good description of Ugnaughts, he said "That's what it would be like if you met a Oompa Loompa in real life. They'd be off-putting and unpleasant"

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So the Empire want to do some science with the Yoda and squeeze Force juice out of him?

Anyway, decent show, definitely seems to be the best thing they've done with Star Wars so far, emphasizing the whole seedy Space Western thing. Kind of needs more to happen and more character stuff in the episodes going forwards I would say. This worked pretty well as a pilot and "setting the stage"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fast talking comedy blue alien loser was kind of pointless and I hope we get more IG-11

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Randarkman posted:

So the Empire want to do some science with the Yoda and squeeze Force juice out of him?

Anyway, decent show, definitely seems to be the best thing they've done with Star Wars so far, emphasizing the whole seedy Space Western thing. Kind of needs more to happen and more character stuff in the episodes going forwards I would say. This worked pretty well as a pilot and "setting the stage"

I get the vibe Doc wants to do controlled experiments and eventually vivisection to make midichlorian energy drinks or whatever, and Werner Herzog just would be fine with that, but mostly just wants to deny the Republic a new Yoda.

Fast talking comedy blue alien loser was kind of pointless and I hope we get more IG-11

On the contrary I thought a kind of harmless doofy huckster bounty who was a second from getting his glands severed for cash was a great way to set up how cold and laconic the titular hunter is, or at least wants to come off as. Then we they start softening him a bit and showing what's underneath. He hasn't chosen a sigil implying green-ness, he gets embarassed trying to ride the Golden Axe monster, he gets in over his head in the firefight and has to rely on the robot, etc.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 13, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Did Yoda gently caress that librarian

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Did Yoda gently caress that librarian

begun, the bone whores have

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The first episode has two Mandalorians and one of them is not a bounty Hunter

Jango Fett
Boba Fett
This Guy

(seems to be a pattern)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If we are counting TV, which we are because we're talking Mandalorian, you have to include Sabine Wren, Fenn Rau, Gar Saxon, etc etc :colbert:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So do enough people actually care about Mandelorians to premise a whole TV show around them?

Like yeah Boba Fett was a big deal for no other reason than he had a very well designed costume, and everybody inexplicably built him up as the ultimate badass even though in the OT all he did was walk the Hansicle up a loading ramp, get his gun cut in half by Luke, and then get casually tapped on the back by Han Blindo sending him careening into a pit. Then Lucas tried to live up to that hype with Jango Fett, a literal clone with a worse designed costume who still ends up coming off as a loser chump who continually gets dunked on by Jedi. KOTOR 1 & 2 fleshed them out as an actual race a bit, but even then 90% of the ones you meet might as well be orcs for all the nuance they have beyond tough guy thugs. I think there was also a mary sue girl in one of animated shows who was Mandalore, or something? Is that why people care?

idk just seems weird to me they get so much interest when honestly at least in the material I've seen they kinda suck.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Mandalorians sounds like medichlorians.

It rhymes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sydin posted:

So do enough people actually care about Mandelorians to premise a whole TV show around them?

Like yeah Boba Fett was a big deal for no other reason than he had a very well designed costume, and everybody inexplicably built him up as the ultimate badass even though in the OT all he did was walk the Hansicle up a loading ramp, get his gun cut in half by Luke, and then get casually tapped on the back by Han Blindo sending him careening into a pit. Then Lucas tried to live up to that hype with Jango Fett, a literal clone with a worse designed costume who still ends up coming off as a loser chump who continually gets dunked on by Jedi. KOTOR 1 & 2 fleshed them out as an actual race a bit, but even then 90% of the ones you meet might as well be orcs for all the nuance they have beyond tough guy thugs. I think there was also a mary sue girl in one of animated shows who was Mandalore, or something? Is that why people care?

idk just seems weird to me they get so much interest when honestly at least in the material I've seen they kinda suck.

I would agree with you if it looked like they were just shooting a travelogue of Mandelore, but the world and the players they are sketching out so far have promise, and in spite of the title the Mando stuff is just one aspect of the character. An honestly it's sorta cool, earning his armor a piece at a time ritualistically could be a neat touchstone for the series.

Like Tough Guy with a soft spot for fellow orphans is nothing new, but I genuinely want more of IG-11, Werner Herzog, and Nic Nolte Ugnaught.

Also, what's with every female character in a star war who doesn't wilt and die of a broken heart being called a "mary sue?" She's a graffiti-loving space revolutionary who likes explosions in the company of a purple tough guy, two jedis, and a prettty good twi'lekk pilot/leader.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Mandalorians in Clone Wars are fairly interesting. Basically normal people except for a faction of reactionary tryhards who always rave on about their true mandalorian heritage and why it means they must rove around murdering people and doing terrorism

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

I would agree with you if it looked like they were just shooting a travelogue of Mandelore, but the world and the players they are sketching out so far have promise, and in spite of the title the Mando stuff is just one aspect of the character. An honestly it's sorta cool, earning his armor a piece at a time ritualistically could be a neat touchstone for the series.

Like Tough Guy with a soft spot for fellow orphans is nothing new, but I genuinely want more of IG-11, Werner Herzog, and Nic Nolte Ugnaught.

Pretty sure he died.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Owlbear Camus posted:

Also, what's with every female character in a star war who doesn't wilt and die of a broken heart being called a "mary sue?" She's a graffiti-loving space revolutionary who likes explosions in the company of a purple tough guy, two jedis, and a prettty good twi'lekk pilot/leader.

I don't even remember which of the animated shows she's in, she was just described to me by a friend as "is Mandalore, also good at everything, also has a black katana lightsaber" which sounds pretty :yikes: to me. If I've been mislead then fair enough.

skasion posted:

The Mandalorians in Clone Wars are fairly interesting. Basically normal people except for a faction of reactionary tryhards who always rave on about their true mandalorian heritage and why it means they must rove around murdering people and doing terrorism

I assume this is the 3D one? I watched the 2D one years and years ago when it was on TV and remember it being pretty good.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sydin posted:

I don't even remember which of the animated shows she's in, she was just described to me by a friend as "is Mandalore, also good at everything, also has a black katana lightsaber" which sounds pretty :yikes: to me. If I've been mislead then fair enough.

She's a capable fighter and demolitionist with a panchant for colorful grafitti who reluctantly grows into a leader of her people after being outcast. She gets her own arcs and plenty of screen time, but is an equal contributor with the rest of the crew.

It's not like Tolstoy quality writing or whatever but by the standards of "family-friendly Star Wars tie-in show" dismissing her as a Mary Sue is sort of tipping your hand as a reactionary screwfly incel sorta dude who can't stand a feee-male in his star war.

Tartakovsky Clone Wars did in fact own. I liked the shorts a lot better than the more-misses than hits long form where there were a few decent gems, like an arc where a trooper discovers the order 66 fail safe and it plays out like a North by Northwest style conspiracy potboiler. But it's mostly duds.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Randarkman posted:

Pretty sure he died.

Sucks, as he was interesting. Also Taika Waititi did the voice, which I would not have guessed.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sydin posted:

I assume this is the 3D one? I watched the 2D one years and years ago when it was on TV and remember it being pretty good.

The 2D Clone Wars cartoon is just dumb fun with Jedi hacking robots up for an hour or two. It’s well made but there’s not much to it. I guess it introduces Grievous and Ventress though.

The 3D Clone Wars cartoon aims to be more than that and sometimes succeeds but mostly fucks up. The Mandalore stuff is one of its successes.

The character you’re talking about is from Rebels though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's not like Tolstoy quality writing or whatever but by the standards of "family-friendly Star Wars tie-in show" dismissing her as a Mary Sue is sort of tipping your hand as a reactionary screwfly incel sorta dude who can't stand a feee-male in his star war.

Honestly the only part that I focused on was "black katana lightsaber". But again I haven't watched Rebels and was only going off one of my roommates going off about the character. In retrospect I should have realized using the phrase to describe a character I only knew second-hand would come off the wrong way given all the people who cry about Rey. Sorry. :)

skasion posted:

The 3D Clone Wars cartoon aims to be more than that and sometimes succeeds but mostly fucks up. The Mandalore stuff is one of its successes.

I debated watching it once and then found some kind of byzantine flowchart of what episodes to watch vs not watch and decided nah.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

i don't know why Disney had to keep the race of Boba Fetts in canon. for a brief, shining moment after the EU was dumped, he was just a dude in cool armour again.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sydin posted:

Honestly the only part that I focused on was "black katana lightsaber". But again I haven't watched Rebels and was only going off one of my roommates going off about the character. In retrospect I should have realized using the phrase to describe a character I only knew second-hand would come off the wrong way given all the people who cry about Rey. Sorry. :)

The Darksaber is goofy space opera nonsense that's perfectly in keeping with the milieu, and serves the story in that she has to reluctantly and with some effort master it (after recovering it) sparring and getting owned by the Jedi on the team to take up a mantle of leadership. In context it's fine.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sydin posted:

I debated watching it once and then found some kind of byzantine flowchart of what episodes to watch vs not watch and decided nah.

That’s pretty much the way of it unfortunately. The introduction movie and the first two seasons are really rough too, so it’s not like the series puts its best foot forward, and by the time its production value improved (third season) it was busily introducing a bunch of lovely new ideas that drag it back down again. The best thing I can say for it is that some parts of it are really good.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I have a theory that Django Fett was volcel because otherwise why clone yourself a child rather than simply having one with your loving wife

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What if he's gay or god forbid aliensexual. Especially into the goofy blue elephant, the worst or forbidden love that could never bear him a child.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

gay doesn't exist in star wars, much like the vacuum of space or newtonian physics

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Randarkman posted:

Pretty sure he died.

It's a valuable as hell almost completely intact droid, he could fix that poo poo and reprogram

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
How can gay not exist when all droids are obligate homosexuals?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

His wife could be Max Reebo if you assume mpreg is a thing in Star Wars, which I see no reason not to assume. Therefore Django is volcel

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
News from the front:

I was just on a United Airlines flight and the aircraft safety video was a cross-promotion for Episode IX and featured R2D2 and C3PO reminding me to keep my seatbelt fastened at all times while seated and I’m very much done with Star Wars and consumer society.

This is seriously some Jennifer Government poo poo.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

cleanse your palette with creepio's youth biology psa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3nQvaP0BXg

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I’m just so tired of all these Star Wars. So very tired.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

I’m just so tired of all these Star Wars. So very tired.

well, they're not so high on you either

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
well my name's 3po and i'm here to say
flying safely is everyone's responsibilitay
when you make that hyperspace jump
you gotta be sure to buckle up
stow your items 'neath the seat ahead
and don't lower your tray table - keep it up instead
now here's my buddy r2d2
to play a little song for you!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Mozi posted:

well my name's 3po and i'm here to say
flying safely is everyone's responsibilitay
when you make that hyperspace jump
you gotta be sure to buckle up
stow your items 'neath the seat ahead
and don't lower your tray table - keep it up instead
now here's my buddy r2d2
to play a little song for you!

[does the robot]

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Randarkman posted:

I guess it makes a bit more sense that they're doing Carbonite freezing of people after the OT, I originally thought this was going to be before the OT and be about Bubba Fett, and Carbonite freezing then would just be stupid and pandering as they actually make a point of it in Empire that it's an industrial process (I think for freezing, storing and transporting that gas that Lando is mining) and absolutely not meant for humans.

There was a Jedi Knight game with a literal Carbonite Gun that would spray out carbonite until the person is a statue, that was pandering

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Applewhite posted:

News from the front:

I was just on a United Airlines flight and the aircraft safety video was a cross-promotion for Episode IX and featured R2D2 and C3PO reminding me to keep my seatbelt fastened at all times while seated and I’m very much done with Star Wars and consumer society.

This is seriously some Jennifer Government poo poo.

Did someone come on screen and beat up the Asian guy from Rogue One?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Insane Totoro posted:

Did someone come on screen and beat up the Asian guy from Rogue One?

"Watch out for suspicious people" *smash cut to Asian guy from Rogue One praying* Our sky marshalls are here to protect you *smash cut to Obi Wan chopping off dude's arm in the cantina*

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sydin posted:

The black lightsaber comes in as a old-rear end mandalorian artifact that's basically like the sword in the stone, whoever has it could legit try to unite the quarreling mandalorian clans but it doesn't make you a jedi. The character in question isn't ever able to use it that well, even after a lot of effort, and she actually gives it to someone else who she deems better able to lead, cause she understands that she's actually just a demolitions expert who's quick on the draw and not, like, a Khan or whatever; her skills are better suited to the rebellion

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm sorry about your chud roommate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Toughy posted:

You forgot the blacksmith already?

My main issue was the Carbonite prisoners, i guess it caught on like gangbusters after han survived.

SWTOR has Carbonite freezing all the time. In frames that look the same as the one Han was in. Often with the pose Han was in. Often associated with bounty hunters and Hutts. And with the exact thaw procedure as Han in Jedi. And all of this was supposed to be 3600 years before the movies. And now days everyone is pointing out how every little novel thing in the movies that seemed to be improvised by the situation at hand is changed to the standard operating procedure it's just so obviously out of place.