Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Razzled posted:

challenge accepted

east vs west

That’s my boy. :hellyeah:

Chichevache, we’re coming for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I'm still looking to find a used Sportster in the spring, so I got a test ride on an Iron 883 to compare mid-controls and the 883 to the 1200 Custom I tried before. The mids, as expected, were way better for me than forward controls. I'm probably in the minority but I think I might actually prefer the 883 over the 1200 as well.

They tried to sell me the thing for $6k, but I just don't see the benefit over an older model for half that, especially since it didn't have ABS. It also seemed hard to turn in with the 21" front. The paint was pretty though!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
They have sportsters with abs?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dutymode posted:

I'm still looking to find a used Sportster in the spring, so I got a test ride on an Iron 883 to compare mid-controls and the 883 to the 1200 Custom I tried before. The mids, as expected, were way better for me than forward controls. I'm probably in the minority but I think I might actually prefer the 883 over the 1200 as well.

They tried to sell me the thing for $6k, but I just don't see the benefit over an older model for half that, especially since it didn't have ABS. It also seemed hard to turn in with the 21" front. The paint was pretty though!

The 883 is smoother, some people like that.

21" rim on a sportster is just terrible.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Nitrox posted:

They have sportsters with abs?

I think it was an option starting in 2015.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

So someone posted this ad in the motorcycle gear thread, and I recognized it from craigslist (its only about 10 miles from me). I looked on Cycle Trader and he's actually dropped it down to 3200, so I reached out to him to get more information.

He's in his 60s, the only owner of the bike, said he got into racing 250s and never really went back to this bike and was trying to downsize (he said he had 9 bikes at one point). The pictures look really good, its likely been well maintained (always stored indoors, blah blah). I asked if he could bring some documentation when we meet and he sent me pictures of spare parts, docs, etc, all the kinds of stuff you'd expect someone who takes good care of a bike to have.

The only :thunk: part of the bike is the rear panel: Apparently at some point he did a rear brake rebuild and messed something up, so that the caliper was dragging on the rear rotor. After a jaunt on the highway he noticed his rear tire was on fire.... He's replaced everything back there, rotor, brakes, etc. But the plastics have a little fire damage.

Its minor and I'm not too worried about it (pending seeing it in person obviously). But I'm worried if there could be potential engine damage handling extra drag like that? Seems like it must have just barely been dragging for him not to notice, but its a strange story and I've never heard of it happening.

More photos here

https://imgur.com/a/kj9cgBw

I love the color scheme and otherwise it looks like its in really good condition. It would just be a "sometimes" bike, I already have a reliable commuter. There are only so many years left in my life I can throw a pink visor on my helmet and zoom around NeoSeattle, but I don't want a basket case.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wow small forum I posted about that in the new rider thread too. I absolutely adore the paint.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Rolo posted:

Wow small forum I posted about that in the new rider thread too. I absolutely adore the paint.

Haha isn't it rad? I wonder if we'll ever see something like that again, everything is so serious these days :/

mewse
May 2, 2006

ADINSX posted:

Its minor and I'm not too worried about it (pending seeing it in person obviously). But I'm worried if there could be potential engine damage handling extra drag like that? Seems like it must have just barely been dragging for him not to notice, but its a strange story and I've never heard of it happening.

No.. you literally put on extra drag when you're braking, the engine would not have been affected at all

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

mewse posted:

No.. you literally put on extra drag when you're braking, the engine would not have been affected at all

Well except he was riding at interstate speed while the brakes were being applied to the point they caught fire. I don't jam on the throttle while I'm braking

mewse
May 2, 2006

If you think he was taking it up past redline to compensate for the stuck brake then maybe. But if he was doing that he should've/would've noticed.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I think you should buy it :heysexy:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

mewse posted:

If you think he was taking it up past redline to compensate for the stuck brake then maybe. But if he was doing that he should've/would've noticed.

I doubt he was, I'm probably just being paranoid, he seemed like a cool guy that was super into bikes, just wanted to know if any part of that story raised red flags.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rolo posted:

I think you should buy it :heysexy:

If they don't, I'm liable to.

You all know it's true :ohdear:

So what I'm saying is: Save me.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

The FZR 1000 is a 5 speed and it always felt 1/2 gear out of place for me. Other than that I have very fond memories of riding one in Spain for a summer.

Electric fuel selector was stuck on all the ones I have seen too which can make for quite an unpleasant surprise.

Love the 5 valve engine. Sounds absolutely great and has astonishing power at all engine speeds (which kinda makes up for the 5 Gear transmission I suppose)

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 12, 2019

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

So I've got a Honda CBF125 2014.

Once I've my full license in a few months, I think I'm going to sell the 125, and get a KTM Duke 390.

A used one, 2017 or 2018 or 2019.

Any thoughts?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

So I've got a Honda CBF125 2014.

Once I've my full license in a few months, I think I'm going to sell the 125, and get a KTM Duke 390.

A used one, 2017 or 2018 or 2019.

Any thoughts?

Why specifically do you think you want that bike?

If the occasional slow crank on your mint Honda makes you nervous you would have a really, really bad time with one of those turds

Get an r3.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Slavvy posted:

Get an r3.

:bisonyes:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Slavvy posted:

Get an r3.

I post about it probably too much in the newbie thread but I got an r3 as my first bike a couple months ago and I’m coming up on 2k miles on it. I’m having an absolute blast polishing my handling skills with this and I will recommend it always. Whether you’re in the city or back road twisties the thing will make you smile and want to ride every single day.

Plus strangers tell me it’s pretty and that’s just neato.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Why specifically do you think you want that bike?

Looks cool and it's a naked bike and it's not too many CCs. Had another lesson on a 600cc motorcycle today for my full license training, and the 600cc suzuki bandit felt too much for me at the moment.

Slavvy posted:

If the occasional slow crank on your mint Honda makes you nervous you would have a really, really bad time with one of those turds

The Honda 125 is not cranking slow any more... Are KTM road bikes in general slow cranking?

It is a faired sports bike, which I'm not too keen on...

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

quote:

MT03?

Also @Slavvy, why an R3 and not a Ninja?

Edit: so also look at the Z400 I guess, it's basically the Duke but won't vomit its entire engine on the road for no reason

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

KTM is notorious for lots of faults, their engines are tuned within an inch of their lives and the 390 has outsourced assembly.

The MT03 is an r3 but naked.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ADINSX posted:

So someone posted this ad in the motorcycle gear thread, and I recognized it from craigslist (its only about 10 miles from me). I looked on Cycle Trader and he's actually dropped it down to 3200, so I reached out to him to get more information.

He's in his 60s, the only owner of the bike, said he got into racing 250s and never really went back to this bike and was trying to downsize (he said he had 9 bikes at one point). The pictures look really good, its likely been well maintained (always stored indoors, blah blah). I asked if he could bring some documentation when we meet and he sent me pictures of spare parts, docs, etc, all the kinds of stuff you'd expect someone who takes good care of a bike to have.

The only :thunk: part of the bike is the rear panel: Apparently at some point he did a rear brake rebuild and messed something up, so that the caliper was dragging on the rear rotor. After a jaunt on the highway he noticed his rear tire was on fire.... He's replaced everything back there, rotor, brakes, etc. But the plastics have a little fire damage.

More photos here

https://imgur.com/a/kj9cgBw

I love the color scheme and otherwise it looks like its in really good condition. It would just be a "sometimes" bike, I already have a reliable commuter. There are only so many years left in my life I can throw a pink visor on my helmet and zoom around NeoSeattle, but I don't want a basket case.

Purely fwiw, my concern would be if there was any wiring back there that got melted but not replaced. I would not have any concern with the motor because of that, but it's always worth making sure it sounds good generally anyway.

Obviously you should buy it because it will make you happy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Looks cool and it's a naked bike and it's not too many CCs. Had another lesson on a 600cc motorcycle today for my full license training, and the 600cc suzuki bandit felt too much for me at the moment.

The Honda 125 is not cranking slow any more... Are KTM road bikes in general slow cranking?

They aren't slow cranking, they are just really poorly built low quality machines (the 390 I mean, the bigger ones aren't so bad). I was pointing out that if a literal non-issue on the most reliable bike in existence made your alarm bells go off, you aren't prepared for the absolute wallet-bollocking of a 390.

Also in my mind I parsed it as rc390 so yeah, everything in my post is unchanged except at the end where I say 'get an mt03' instead.

Mirconium posted:

MT03?

Also @Slavvy, why an R3 and not a Ninja?

Edit: so also look at the Z400 I guess, it's basically the Duke but won't vomit its entire engine on the road for no reason

I've never ridden or worked on a ninja 400 so no idea what they're like, don't want to recommend something that might be garbage.

R3 is better as a sport riding tool than the ninja 300 if you already know what you're doing, but I'll grant for a learner it makes no difference. It's also just much better built and 'nicer' in general. Again, either of them are excellent bikes and the differences I'm talking about are very small.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

They aren't slow cranking, they are just really poorly built low quality machines (the 390 I mean, the bigger ones aren't so bad).

Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean specifically in that they are poorly built and low quality?

Every review I have seen or read says they are great.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Steakandchips posted:

Can you please elaborate on what you mean specifically in that they are poorly built and low quality?

oh boy here we go

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Slavvy was your KTM avatar bought for you?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Uuuuugh can't you just hit the question mark by my name?

Fine I'll break it down for you.

Things journalists do:
- ride brand new bikes
- write/talk about bikes
- look at bikes

Things journalists don't do:
- own bikes
- pay for parts
- work on bikes
- ride not-brand-new bikes

KTM's are built to maximise results on the first list while ignoring the second, because KTM have correctly identified that they're selling a lifestyle product rather than a vehicle (see also: Harley, Ducati among others). Japanese bikes attempt to strike a compromise between the two: your money gets you some lifestyle, lots of vehicle. Reviews by journalists are great if you want to know what a bike is like to ride, features etc but completely worthless for identifying what's a piece of poo poo and what isn't.

KTM in general love to reinvent the wheel for no reason and are happy to make things 300% more complicated for the sake of 1% improved performance. They are fragile, finicky, have lots of extremely mechanic-hostile design and the parts cost millions. They're also honestly not great to ride unless you're giving it death 100% of the time, but that's my personal taste.

390's particular have all of this while also being built to a price by slave labour. I have never seen more factory zip ties on any bike. The way they are built is closer to the top-tier Chinese bikes or Hyosung than anything Japanese.

At some point you either have to take the plunge and educate yourself through years of trial, error and financial suffering, or take my word for it and accept that the poo poo I say is based on a matrix of countless data points and knowledge fitting together in an incomprehensible holistic way, that we call this intangible mixture 'experience', and that this is the difference between a professional and a YouTube tutorial. Luckily for you my crazy brain needs a pressure relief valve and this is it, so you get to learn about this stuff for just ten bucks!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Well that was restrained.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Well that was restrained.

Hey the 390 flywheel puller turned up yesterday btw, the owner got to pay $400 for a tool I will never, ever use again on any other bike :D

Rolo posted:

Slavvy was your KTM avatar bought for you?

Look within your heart.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 13, 2019

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Steakandchips posted:

I had both an MT03 and a 390 Duke and these are my experiences:

2018 Duke 390

- It's a ton of fun. The engine is very exciting and the handling is great, for the city its a cracking bike.

- After 9000kms or so, the smoothness just, disappears and the vibrations start to get to you, and so does the heat from the engine. This makes long trips a bit of a chore.

- It had oil pressure issues every month, requiring multiple trips to the dealer, who under warranty changed a bunch of stuff until it stopped showing the low pressure oil warning, I had multiple touring trips ruined by this.

- Low speed fueling and Trottle feel is GARBAGE and requieres clutch finesse to be on point, otherwise is snatchy TrottleTown.

Unless you look like the model in the 390 ads, bear in a unicycle.

But drat if it wasn't fun as heck.

2017 MT03

- Smooth, so smooth. No vibrations, perfect response everywhere in the rpm range.

- Fun if a bit boring engine. Chasis was good enough.

- tires are GARBAGE, change them on older models.

- 100% reliable all of the time.

Again, it's like a BMW vs an Acura. One is a bit boring but still fun and the other, an exciting firecracker that can ruin or wonder your day.

Do you crave moderate fun and stability or all out excitement at any cost?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

...KTM are not good bikes to own...

Slavvy, good post, thank you.

What are your, and others in this channels, thoughts on:

Kawasaki Z300
Kawasaki Z400
Honda CB300
Honda CB500
Yamaha MT-03

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

mulligan posted:

I had both an MT03 and a 390 Duke and these are my experiences:

2018 Duke 390

- It's a ton of fun. The engine is very exciting and the handling is great, for the city its a cracking bike.

- After 9000kms or so, the smoothness just, disappears and the vibrations start to get to you, and so does the heat from the engine. This makes long trips a bit of a chore.

- It had oil pressure issues every month, requiring multiple trips to the dealer, who under warranty changed a bunch of stuff until it stopped showing the low pressure oil warning, I had multiple touring trips ruined by this.

- Low speed fueling and Trottle feel is GARBAGE and requieres clutch finesse to be on point, otherwise is snatchy TrottleTown.

Unless you look like the model in the 390 ads, bear in a unicycle.

But drat if it wasn't fun as heck.

2017 MT03

- Smooth, so smooth. No vibrations, perfect response everywhere in the rpm range.

- Fun if a bit boring engine. Chasis was good enough.

- tires are GARBAGE, change them on older models.

- 100% reliable all of the time.

Again, it's like a BMW vs an Acura. One is a bit boring but still fun and the other, an exciting firecracker that can ruin or wonder your day.

Do you crave moderate fun and stability or all out excitement at any cost?

You and Slavvy have convinced me to not go KTM, nor Husqvarna. They're so pretty but, gently caress, I really can't be arsed with all that taking it to the dealer / mechanic for things like that oil issue you spoke of.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

Steakandchips posted:

Kawasaki Z300
Kawasaki Z400
Honda CB300
Honda CB500
Yamaha MT-03

Having had an MT03, I'd go for a CB500 in X, R or Rebel form.

Get a slip on and ride, mostly trouble free.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Ktm leeches of the idea that a household name of utilitarian off road machines knows how to make reliable and easy to fix machines. They combine this false premise with clever marketing and non utilitarian design.

I own one of the poster child KTMs (640 LC4 supermoto) because I bought into the same thinking, luckily I bought it used for less than 2000 Euro.

I also have enough vehicles standing around to just shrugg at the KTM and take something else until I have 2 loving DAYS TO CHANGE THE OIL or REMOVING SHAFT SEALS WITH SELF TAPPING SCREWS or FIXING THE BLOODY STARTER FOR THE THIRD TIME.

Lemme say it this way. In the time it takes me to do 1 oil change on the LC4 (a proper oil change) I stripped all the fairings on the R6, changed the oil, ruined the thread in the oil pan because I am an idiot, got a tool less drainer, got a time sert into the pan, got everything tight and sealed, reinstalled the repaired pan, removed the entire exhaust system, refittet a full 4-2-1 exhaust system, galled the thread on the lambda plug because I was an idiot again, recut the o2 sensor thread in the exhaust with a broken o2 sensor, installed the repaired manifold and had everything gas tight and the R6 reassembled. All this in a similar time and effort level as doing the darn oil change on the LC4.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 13, 2019

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

Steakandchips posted:

You and Slavvy have convinced me to not go KTM, nor Husqvarna. They're so pretty but, gently caress, I really can't be arsed with all that taking it to the dealer / mechanic for things like that oil issue you spoke of.

Since I may have SEVERE issues, I might get a Svartpilen 401 because they are cheap and are EXTREMELY my poo poo when it comes to design. But I'm willing to take chances as long as I have a warranty.

Also I am allergic to working on bikes and won't so much as spraying chain lube. So dealer life for me.

But seriously, CB500 in your flavor of choice. Slip ons give them a bit of an edge.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Kawasaki Z300
Kawasaki Z400
Honda CB300
Honda CB500
Yamaha MT-03

Bearing in mind the differences among these are tiny compared to the difference between this group and a totally different segment:

- Good handling, somewhat boring & wheezy engine, excellent bike
- Never ridden or worked on one, specs imply it's 'better' than all the others but I'm withholding judgement
- Good handling, very light weight, is the slowest but most user friendly, excellent bike
- Average handling, very smooth and grunty but somewhat boring engine, bit of a porker compared to the others, great brakes, excellent bike
- Awesome handling, excellent engine, best build quality, somewhat undersprung if you're a fatty, excellent bike

Combat Theory posted:

Ktm leeches of the idea that a household name of utilitarian off road machines knows how to make reliable and easy to fix machines. They combine this false premise with clever marketing and non utilitarian design.

I own one of the poster child KTMs (640 LC4 supermoto) because I bought into the same thinking, luckily I bought it used for less than 2000 Euro.

I also have enough vehicles standing around to just shrugg at the KTM and take something else until I have 2 loving DAYS TO CHANGE THE OIL or REMOVING SHAFT SEALS WITH SELF TAPPING SCREWS or FIXING THE BLOODY STARTER FOR THE THIRD TIME.

Lemme say it this way. In the time it takes me to do 1 oil change on the LC4 (a proper oil change) I stripped all the fairings on the R6, changed the oil, ruined the thread in the oil pan because I am an idiot, got a tool less drainer, got a time sert into the pan, got everything tight and sealed, reinstalled the repaired pan, removed the entire exhaust system, refittet a full 4-2-1 exhaust system, galled the thread on the lambda plug because I was an idiot again, recut the o2 sensor thread in the exhaust with a broken o2 sensor, installed the repaired manifold and had everything gas tight and the R6 reassembled. All this in a similar time and effort level as doing the darn oil change on the LC4.

Oil change on an MT-07:

Remove sump plug, unscrew filter
Screw on new filter, tighten sump plug
Fill with basic bitch 10w40

Oil change on a duke 690:

Remove muffler, remove catalytic converter/baffle thing shaped like a bathtub underneath the engine
Remove sump plug, 2x cartridge oil filters, 2x mesh screen sump plugs
Fit new filters, clean the screens, button everything up, refit the exhaust
Fill with $60/L motorex unicorn-extract
Never reach the next oil change interval because something is guaranteed to break or the engine simply uses up all the oil

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

Kawasaki Z300
Kawasaki Z400
Honda CB300
Honda CB500
Yamaha MT-03

I have a CBR300R, which is pretty much a faired CB300F, with a slightly peakier engine.

Reliability has been good, no issues in 2 years, ~10k miles. I have no point of comparison to other bikes but doing work on it yourself is pretty easy even for a complete noob, parts are generally REALLY cheap.

However, this is a single, and it's kind of a small single, so they pulled a little bit of a trick with it, namely gearing in 1st is REALLY low to let you get off the line. At low speed, the engine braking is a brick wall, and it will punch you in the nuts at every city corner because in first gear the throttle on-off switch is quite rough. I'm pretty sure that's the same problem the Duke has. As you get into higher gears it smooths out and becomes a peach, but the higher gears are kind of gutless so if you need low speed maneuvers you kind of have to drop into first. It'll teach you throttle and clutch, but it'll teach it to you by punching you in the balls when you screw up.

That said it is a blast to ride around when it is in its element, namely no stoplights and turns that are not literally 90 degree cross street single lane city crap. In parks, in mountains, A+. If I did it all again I'd probably have gone for a twin, BUT you can find absolutely killer deals on 300 hondas because they are not mega popular, and occasionally they get dumped by the dozen on the used market by riding schools et al

Edit: Subjective question: do dirt bikes feel this way too? I assume it's much easier to brace yourself against forward-backward shoving because the riding position is so upright?

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 13, 2019

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mirconium posted:

Edit: Subjective question: do dirt bikes feel this way too? I assume it's much easier to brace yourself against forward-backward shoving because the riding position is so upright?

You're not gripping the bike tight enough with your legs.
And you can safely be in 2nd for the riding you're describing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Bearing in mind the differences among these are tiny compared to the difference between this group and a totally different segment:

Z300 - Good handling, somewhat boring & wheezy engine, excellent bike
Z400 - Never ridden or worked on one, specs imply it's 'better' than all the others but I'm withholding judgement
CB300 - Good handling, very light weight, is the slowest but most user friendly, excellent bike
CB500 - Average handling, very smooth and grunty but somewhat boring engine, bit of a porker compared to the others, great brakes, excellent bike
MT-03 - Awesome handling, excellent engine, best build quality, somewhat undersprung if you're a fatty, excellent bike

Great summary, thank you.

I am leaning towards either the Z400 or the MT-03. You mentioned that the MT-03 is undersprung for fatties. When you say undersprung, do you mean it'll be a bit "bouncy"? Anything I can do to make the bike sprungier?

I'm 6 foot, 114kg. So, yes, fat.

Slavvy posted:

Oil change on an MT-07:

Remove sump plug, unscrew filter
Screw on new filter, tighten sump plug
Fill with basic bitch 10w40

Oil change on a duke 690:

Remove muffler, remove catalytic converter/baffle thing shaped like a bathtub underneath the engine
Remove sump plug, 2x cartridge oil filters, 2x mesh screen sump plugs
Fit new filters, clean the screens, button everything up, refit the exhaust
Fill with $60/L motorex unicorn-extract
Never reach the next oil change interval because something is guaranteed to break or the engine simply uses up all the oil

Yeah, absolutely not in the mood for any of those KTM disassembly shenanigans, the missus would throw a fit if I had a project like that out in the garage or garden for a week. The description of the oil change for the MT-07 you gave is far more my cup of tea.

Mirconium posted:

I have a CBR300R, which is pretty much a faired CB300F, with a slightly peakier engine.

Reliability has been good, no issues in 2 years, ~10k miles. I have no point of comparison to other bikes but doing work on it yourself is pretty easy even for a complete noob, parts are generally REALLY cheap.

However, this is a single, and it's kind of a small single, so they pulled a little bit of a trick with it, namely gearing in 1st is REALLY low to let you get off the line. At low speed, the engine braking is a brick wall, and it will punch you in the nuts at every city corner because in first gear the throttle on-off switch is quite rough. I'm pretty sure that's the same problem the Duke has. As you get into higher gears it smooths out and becomes a peach, but the higher gears are kind of gutless so if you need low speed maneuvers you kind of have to drop into first. It'll teach you throttle and clutch, but it'll teach it to you by punching you in the balls when you screw up.
I have a single right now in the CBF125, I don't much care for 1st gear in it...

Good input, and further reinforces my thoughts the MT-03 or the Z400 is the way to go.

I want to point out, from a noob point of view, the Suzuki Bandit 600cc bike I'm learning for my A license on, it's 1st gear is actually quite useful in that I don't feel I need to IMMEDIATELY switch to 2nd the minute the bike starts moving.