Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sobble Squad checkin in, im Very Sad and please do not yell at me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Okay so I actually watched this video and a couple things: 1) I forgot how much I dislike his voice, 2) I didn't notice any of that terrible stuff that person was talking about so I guess 3) I'm pumped for this game, it looks great. Oh and 4) I was all set for fire bunny before but seeing the grass monkey dude in action, he's adorable as heck and I'm picking him (or her).

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't like the soccer bunny but the other two are okay, there's too many cool Pokemon to waste one of my six slots on a starter though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah i'm gonna chime in to say that comparing everything to breath of the wild is kind of stupid. it's a good as hell game and i doubt anyone would deny that, but holding it up as like some pinnacle that literally every other game on the system has to somehow match or exceed in every aspect is kind of insane when considering even like the most basic thing of 'nintendo directly developed it specifically for the switch and had as much time as they needed to make sure it ran as perfectly as they could get it'.

it's not, like, some sort of mystery that maybe the direct developers of the actual console making a launch title would know exactly where to cut corners and bluff things so all the rest looks good as hell in time for the launch of the thing itself. and i would hope that eventually people would get it in their heads that gamefreak has literally no say in getting any sort of extra time to develop something if they feel they need it, lmao. pokemon is a media franchise that prints money for nintendo. they're not going to delay the airing of an anime just because a game is deemed to need a little more work and on the flipside they won't be delaying a game because they're not going to be pushing back the long-planned airing date of the anime. this isn't even bringing poo poo like the card game or movies into the equation.

it's like this extra boot to the face for gamefreak for people to sneer at them for not somehow perfectly living up to some nebulous and ill-defined standard set by their publishers who actively made the system and don't have a publisher of their own breathing down their neck while setting them on a deathmarch to get it done or else

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I think the starters suffer from really loving boring poses. Imagine how lovely Greninja would look in Intellion’s pose. Now imagine how much cooler Intellion would look in Gren’s classic ninja pose.

I may sketch it out on my tablet to show what I mean, how important poses are in bringing cartoons to life (this is also why the early sprites had so much personality), but effort

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

have fun with Josh! He looks like a nice boy!

I will!

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

extra row of teeth posted:

I think the starters suffer from really loving boring poses. Imagine how lovely Greninja would look in Intellion’s pose. Now imagine how much cooler Intellion would look in Gren’s classic ninja pose.

I may sketch it out on my tablet to show what I mean, how important poses are in bringing cartoons to life (this is also why the early sprites had so much personality), but effort

Yeah that's why Rillaboom didn't click with me initially. Had his idle animation had him beating on the drum it would have looked a lot better

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah i'm gonna chime in to say that comparing everything to breath of the wild is kind of stupid. it's a good as hell game and i doubt anyone would deny that,

Must be nice, being able to completely avoid discussion of Breath of the Wild.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I agree that the outcry surrounding this game is overblown. However, I am also quite irritated by the overdramatic backlash that I see to that outcry, particularly in this thread. All of the "Well it's STUPID to care about graphics and stuff as long as I get to make pokemon friends!" is ridiculous. It's okay to like something and have standards for it. I like pokemon. I'll probably like this one. I'm frustrated by how little improvement or progress is made between installments. Comparing it to Breath of the Wild is absurd, but I did expect it to look better than it does. The designs of the regular pokemon are all quite nice, and I really like the Galar forms, but I find the legendaries to be a bit offputting.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 14, 2019

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah i'm gonna chime in to say that comparing everything to breath of the wild is kind of stupid. it's a good as hell game and i doubt anyone would deny that, but holding it up as like some pinnacle that literally every other game on the system has to somehow match or exceed in every aspect is kind of insane when considering even like the most basic thing of 'nintendo directly developed it specifically for the switch and had as much time as they needed to make sure it ran as perfectly as they could get it'.

it's not, like, some sort of mystery that maybe the direct developers of the actual console making a launch title would know exactly where to cut corners and bluff things so all the rest looks good as hell in time for the launch of the thing itself. and i would hope that eventually people would get it in their heads that gamefreak has literally no say in getting any sort of extra time to develop something if they feel they need it, lmao. pokemon is a media franchise that prints money for nintendo. they're not going to delay the airing of an anime just because a game is deemed to need a little more work and on the flipside they won't be delaying a game because they're not going to be pushing back the long-planned airing date of the anime. this isn't even bringing poo poo like the card game or movies into the equation.

it's like this extra boot to the face for gamefreak for people to sneer at them for not somehow perfectly living up to some nebulous and ill-defined standard set by their publishers who actively made the system and don't have a publisher of their own breathing down their neck while setting them on a deathmarch to get it done or else

Its a fair comparison that one development team with a certain amount of monetary resources could be matched by another development team with similar monetary resources. I mean, BOTW sold around 16 mil copies, which is generally what the pokemon games sell for. It's not like gamefreak are some set of indie developers or something, I don't know why people are so willing to give them excuses.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

King of Solomon posted:

Must be nice, being able to completely avoid discussion of Breath of the Wild.

in my defense i kind of just actively avoid the bickering of zelda fans because it's about as pointless as people arguing which pokemon generations are best or which starters are best or etc. etc. etc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ariong posted:

I agree that the outcry surrounding this game is overblown. However, I am also quite irritated by the overdramatic backlash that I see to that outcry, particularly in this thread. All of the "Well it's STUPID to care about graphics and stuff as long as I get to make pokemon friends!" is ridiculous. It's okay to like something and have standards for it. I like pokemon. I'll probably like this one. I'm frustrated by how little improvement or progress is made between installments. Comparing it to Breath of the Wild is absurd, but I did expect it to look better than it does. The designs of the regular pokemon are all quite nice, and I really like the Galar forms, but I find the legendaries to be a bit offputting.

I don't recall liking a single legendary design in the history of the series, but that sheep pokemon looks incredibly cute and that's really what I want out of the graphics.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Ariong posted:

I agree with all of this except I like the legendaries. Mostly.

I can’t stop laughing at sword dog

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I like Sobble because I get to watch my pokemon graduate from sobbing nerdling to anxiety-riddled yet dead inside grad student to know it all smug professor

Scorbunny is a lame jock and whichever the grass one is is probably the bearded drug dealer who is way too into neopaganism and may be a nazi

it all makes sense once you realize that every piece of Japanese media is about high school

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

except Godzilla

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Ariong posted:

Yeah I'm in pretty much the same place. All the leaks and reviews have convinced me that it's almost certainly going to be a good game, just one that could have been even better had they had more time to make it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
TBH the part that most worries me is the level curve. It's been rather annoying how easy it is to overlevel everything in more recent games.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've come to terms with the limited nature of the open world and am fine with it

pop in is annoying and sucks but I figure if I can still rank Subnautica as one of my top 3 games of the last decade I can probably live with it here too

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Radio Free Kobold posted:

i agree wholeheartedly. it's especially a thing with big AAA games (ubisoft :argh:) that they're these big sprawling things with so much to do and so much to see and 100+ hours of content and yadda yadda yadda. but realistically, i have perhaps four hours a day to play the vidya (many people have less); time, loving time is the biggest constraint. if a game has like, 200 hours of content and i have maybe 25 hours a week, that means that one, singular game is basically a month-long project and i'm going to get bored of it long before then. poo poo, if i had a dollar for every half-completed game in my steam library. so if i don't get my money's worth that's fine but if a game wastes my time, nuh uh, gently caress off. it's the same reason i played through Moon once and never touched US/UM; i just couldn't bring myself to do it again because there's such a slog getting through the cutscenes and the first island and all that crap.

On the other hand, make games 200+ hours long so people can play as much as they want/are able to?

Like, I have very little free time anymore, but I still really enjoy lengthy JRPGs because I can get months of enjoyment from them chipping away a little bit at a time.

I'd hate to not be able to do that because companies started making games shorter to please people who feel like they have to be able to beat a game in a month or less from release.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

I'm actually gonna try for a response that isn't 'eat my butt' here. I see people constantly say BotW as if that's the stick we're measuring against...why? Like...they're two entirely different kinds of games, you need maximum visibility because BotW is all about terrain navigation and for a large chunk of it avoiding too much direct combat. Pokemon is...not it? I just have no idea why people compare the two other than 'they're both on switch'.

Breath of the Wild was a game in an extremely stagnant franchise that actually rethought and revamped how it worked as a game and was a massive success for it.

Pokemon...did not do this. It will still be a massive success but that is because it's name is Pokemon and if it's name were, for instance, Little Town Hero there would likely be a different outcome.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
gonna say it: BotW? fun for a bit, yeah. Best zelda? no. Top 5 zelda? still probably no.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

gonna say it: BotW? fun for a bit, yeah. Best zelda? no. Top 5 zelda? still probably no.

The best Zeldas were 30 years ago I'm taking what I can get here

E: My god this is an extremely cursed post

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

TheKingofSprings posted:

The best Zeldas were 30 years ago I'm taking what I can get here

E: My god this is an extremely cursed post

ok boomer

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The thing is, for all the talk about the dex cull, all the talk about improving the graphics and the balance, all the promises of a game more aimed at older players, everything instead seems lined up to disappoint and be worse than S/M and X/Y.
But that is my error, I expected to not be disappointed.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Borsche69 posted:

Its a fair comparison that one development team with a certain amount of monetary resources could be matched by another development team with similar monetary resources. I mean, BOTW sold around 16 mil copies, which is generally what the pokemon games sell for. It's not like gamefreak are some set of indie developers or something, I don't know why people are so willing to give them excuses.

nintendo literally owns the money that gets fed to gamefreak for development of the pokemon games and, along with the pokemon company which gamefreak doesn't even fully own, gives them an ironclad work schedule that doesn't allow for any sort of room to budge that nintendo themselves have because they're one of the most powerful videogame companies in the world and gamefreak struggles to get people to give a poo poo about something that isn't labeled pokemon

it's kind of my point

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Blaziken386 posted:

Really? What are the top 5 Zelda's then?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

qnqnx posted:

The thing is, for all the talk about the dex cull, all the talk about improving the graphics and the balance, all the promises of a game more aimed at older players, everything instead seems lined up to disappoint and be worse than S/M and X/Y.
But that is my error, I expected to not be disappointed.

Did they promise a game aimed at older players now too??

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Blaziken386 posted:

It’s one of the best games ever made.

Grookey Gang

E: is Eviolite in the game?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BotW is #2 after Minish Cap

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Did they promise a game aimed at older players now too??

They promised a game for old fans of the traditional series while LGPE was in development.

AKA please don’t panic; the GO mechanics won’t be in the next one.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Johnny Joestar posted:

nintendo literally owns the money that gets fed to gamefreak for development of the pokemon games and, along with the pokemon company which gamefreak doesn't even fully own, gives them an ironclad work schedule that doesn't allow for any sort of room to budge that nintendo themselves have because they're one of the most powerful videogame companies in the world and gamefreak struggles to get people to give a poo poo about something that isn't labeled pokemon

it's kind of my point

probably a good idea not to reward this behaviour by buying the game, then

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Game story question

are the elite four really just the gym leaders but with stronger mons?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah I'm in pretty much the same place. All the leaks and reviews have convinced me that it's almost certainly going to be a good game, just one that could have been even better had they had more time to make it

it's probably not much different than X/Y. Game Freak is probably not allowed to really make the games hard anymore. Nintendo wants them to appeal to casual players as broadly as possible.

speaking of X/Y and the level curve, I was intending on using a Gallade in my X playthough, but it took forever to find a Dawn Stone, so that by the time I could put it in my party, it was about level 30, and my whole team was in their early 50's, right before the 6th gym. Today I managed to get Gallade caught up...at the 8th Gym, with my team at 66/67, using Gallade for basically 75% of all battles.

X/Y's leveling and the EXP Share are really loving stupid.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think Mareep is the better sheep and if I could trade wooloo for it I would

Wooloo is cute, but it doesn't feel like a pokemon to me. It looks like someones niece or nephew drew a 'cloud' sheep and it accidentally got snuck into approved designs. I like mareeps tail and odd coloring (and Ampharos is one of my favorite mons despite not being a sheep at all anymore)

If they were both in Galar I'd be fine... but now that I must pick favorites I'm sorry Wooloo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ungulateman posted:

probably a good idea not to reward this behaviour by buying the game, then

i'm not even talking about buying pokemon here, it's straight up just pointing out why comparing the two companies is dumb as hell

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

that would mean that kids wouldn't be able to power level if they wanted, and it would be really easy to break over your knee (ie: have a level 1 pokemon with you to bring down the level)

I don't think anybody wants to make the games harder for kids. Pokemon blue wasn't hard when you were 10 years old, it's not like it's ever been a thing, it's more that the people who have successfully cultivated into lifelong consumers of their brand have digested so much of it by now they could handle an option to make the games more challenging by essentially only modifying the variables of what pokemon NPC trainers have and at what level.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think Mareep is the better sheep and if I could trade wooloo for it I would

Wooloo is cute, but it doesn't feel like a pokemon to me. It looks like someones niece or nephew drew a 'cloud' sheep and it accidentally got snuck into approved designs. I like mareeps tail and odd coloring (and Ampharos is one of my favorite mons despite not being a sheep at all anymore)

If they were both in Galar I'd be fine... but now that I must pick favorites I'm sorry Wooloo

hard agree, ampharos is boss as heck

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Spatula City posted:

it's probably not much different than X/Y. Game Freak is probably not allowed to really make the games hard anymore. Nintendo wants them to appeal to casual players as broadly as possible.

speaking of X/Y and the level curve, I was intending on using a Gallade in my X playthough, but it took forever to find a Dawn Stone, so that by the time I could put it in my party, it was about level 30, and my whole team was in their early 50's, right before the 6th gym. Today I managed to get Gallade caught up...at the 8th Gym, with my team at 66/67, using Gallade for basically 75% of all battles.

X/Y's leveling and the EXP Share are really loving stupid.

Why did you need the Dawn Stone before putting it in your party?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I don't think anybody wants to make the games harder for kids. Pokemon blue wasn't hard when you were 10 years old, it's not like it's ever been a thing, it's more that the people who have successfully cultivated into lifelong consumers of their brand have digested so much of it by now they could handle an option to make the games more challenging by essentially only modifying the variables of what pokemon NPC trainers have and at what level.

Yellow was actually pretty loving hard IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Pylons posted:

Yellow was actually pretty loving hard IIRC.

Yellow was hard because it was poorly designed. You had to carry that fat mouse all the way to the end, and couldn't even evolve it.