Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

OwlFancier posted:

Didn't you initially stan that dude when he first came to attention?

Dankula? Never. I actually had some big loving rows with some friends about the court case. You might be thinking of me saying that my gf knows his gf (she doesn't know him personally) and thought there must be more to it because she didnt seem the type to abide a nazi, but I never defended him, the loving oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
its just an arse don't be prudes

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Vitamin P posted:

"it was inspiring threats" okay oval office tell us what threats it inspired

Edit can't be arsed the conversation goes;

Vitamin P (brave, handsome): what actual harm did it do or lets be generous reasonably could possibly do?
Coohoolin (covered in a weird sort of slime): it would normalise offensive language, and so could normalise the ideas that language contains
VP: thats a massive hypothetical and you shouldn't be actively against free speech on that weak grounds, the criminalisation of speech could easily spread to the left
C: I'm a dump baby you're a racist something something Braveheart

Just gently caress off forever you massive oval office

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Hi

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

Dankula? Never. I actually had some big loving rows with some friends about the court case. You might be thinking of me saying that my gf knows his gf (she doesn't know him personally) and thought there must be more to it because she didnt seem the type to abide a nazi, but I never defended him, the loving oval office.

That might be it, I remember feeling surprised given that the man doesn't require much nuance.

Continuity RCP posted:

It is an arse, but I take issue with describing it as just an arse, not many arses look like that arse.

That arse took a lot of hard graft to produce.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 14, 2019

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

OwlFancier posted:

That might be it, I remember feeling surprised given that the man doesn't require much nuance.

It is an arse, but I take issue with describing it as just an arse, not many arses look like that arse.

Yeah apparently he was part of a whole crowd that was the exact opposite of his shite, she's lost contact with them by now but it wouldn't surprise me if he's been collectively disowned.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Is Vitamin P stanning for noted dipshit nazi count dankula?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Thanks for this, man. I've decided to finish tapering off my lamotrigine (I think it may contributing/causing my constant headaches, complete inability to maintain sleep for more than an hour or so, and mostly concerningly more recently these random fits of extreme rage, sometimes they're actually a bit frightening). It's been a failed treatment - helped nothing, and maybe made some stuff worse. I've had no trouble going from 400 mg to 200 mg, and I want to drop from there to 100mg and eventually 50 mg - which I'll get hold of when I'm next able to see my GP.

This should probably be in The Goon Doctor but responses from actual professionals there are understandably rare. It's much appreciated

I'd be remiss not to say that the correct order is to see your GP, tell them what you intend to do and then start tapering off your meds. Even if you worry they'll try to convince you not to/tell you it's a terrible idea, you're the boss when it comes to your own health. But they need to know in advance so they can give you any subsequent advice about replacement meds, or how long you need to taper over to be safe.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think more the hypothetical idea that laws restricting free speech might be used against the left in the future if we let them be used on the right.

Which, I mean, sort of tracks on a superficial level but I'm not sure it's a great argument because 1. they do that anyway. 2. they'll just make up the laws if they need to anyway and 3. beating down nazis with them makes 1 and 2 less likely to be politically viable, because the nazis will be the people who support 1 and 2 if you let them get traction.

It makes more sense if you have an actual untouchable constitution or something but even then I think it ascribes a degree of political solidity and impartiality to the concept of "free speech" that I 100% do not believe exists.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Tesseraction posted:

Is Vitamin P stanning for noted dipshit nazi count dankula?

Yea, apparently?

Far as I can say his argument goes like: first they came for the fascists, etc, etc

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/GuyKiddey/status/1194555805514838016

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1194661884634501121

:munch:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's an argument that sees a lot of traction among wide sections of the population and makes a sort of liberal sense, but if you're hard into the idea that politics is super fungible in response to crisis or changes in conditions I'm not sure it works. Suppression of the left has a lot of other avenues to go down and is going to be pursued if needed regardless of the law.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

kind of incredible that jo swinson has gone full social fascist this early in the campaign tho, then again she started with very intense energy

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

gh0stpinballa posted:

kind of incredible that jo swinson has gone full social fascist this early in the campaign tho, then again she started with very intense energy

M i l n g a v i e & B e a r s d e n E n e r g y

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Bearsden would explain a lot.

e: Sorry, "Beersdn"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Vitamin P posted:

They don't have it yet and we wear it better, just like we wear individualism better. Libertarianism as economic far-right is a recent construct created by the Kochs, wanting freedom from religion and heirarchical violent structures is left-wing, the bizarre fantasy that corporate power is magically different is a recent lie and frankly its disintegrating. The principled libertarians that aren't just market cucks in disguise are potential allies and are worth talking to.

I don't think that's true. Like, libertarianism existed before 1980, when the Kochs really got into political "charity" and spreading their poison. You had a right wing fuckwit like Mencken describing himself as libertarian in 1923. Foundation for Economic Education founded in '46. Pondscum like Rand & von Mises, and probably it's notable bowtie wearing oval office Murray Rothbard who popularised the propertarian use of libertarian (in the US. The internet is to blame for that flooding out of the States to the rest of the world) as well as ancap.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Asking a non-native to pronounce Milngavie is good fun. Doesn't get old.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'd pronounce it as it's spelled but knowing the UK it's probably pronounced minjee or something.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

If you want to meditate on what you are in for, I can think of nothing better to explain it than to say that the arse impressed even me.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

It should be miln-gay-vee so if course it's not even close.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

I'd pronounce it as it's spelled but knowing the UK it's probably pronounced minjee or something.

It's more like Mill-guy

Obviously.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That actually does make sense because i-e sound does become u in scottish and the rest makes sense as a contraction of the syllables.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sorry what's this about an arse? Is this something new or just Jose's prolapse or the German nutter?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Your silence speaks volumes, Jeremy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well don't spoil it but yes it's jose's picture collection.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Alright, explain how gender abolition is TERF poo poo then.
...that some people identify as female, and that not being seen as having that identification is the source of their dysphoria?

tritsch posted:

The problem is (probably) partly that people like Russell Howard have a platform were they are screaming 'both are bad' on prime time TV slots and who is taken as a 'voice of reason' but really he's a centrist shitfuck who should get in the sea...I might be bias I hate that guy, who can say.
I kind of feel like this about the Last Leg. It's 80% good praxis but man do they trip over their own dicks making Corbyn jokes to appear fair.

marktheando posted:

I have to take a second to remember which colour pill means what in stupid internet politics talk. Red pill, blue pill, dog pill, black pill loving hell
I think bluepilling is when politics gives you an erection lasting over two hours.

gh0stpinballa posted:

like i am trying to tread carefully because obviously it looks terrible to suspect something else is going on here, given she's a jewish woman in the spotlight 24/7 who i'm sure does get antisemitic insults and threats thrown at her, but...this feels so coordinated, and like she's being fed lines and things to post.
She is the perfect example of someone who can be incredibly intelligent in a technical / logical field, and thick as pigshit when it comes to the humanities.

Private Speech posted:

Maybe try and write some vidyagame util in .net/C#, try to put in a fair bit of effort too.
I hear a lot of people saying c#, but have been advised that Java is also supposed to be universal and is not only just as useable in unity but is pretty much required for android and unreal. Is it so universal that everyone forgets to mention it, or did it suddenly get very bad in the last few years?

Continuity RCP posted:

But we don't want him to be PM any more.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

whomst of you

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Of course he's a special.

Of course.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I hear a lot of people saying c#, but have been advised that Java is also supposed to be universal and is not only just as useable in unity but is pretty much required for android and unreal. Is it so universal that everyone forgets to mention it, or did it suddenly get very bad in the last few years?

I'm not absolutely certain, but I think the level of skill and experience expected from professional java developers is a bit higher than for C#. Partly because everyone learns it so there's a slight oversupply of people with at least passing familiarity with it. It's not a terrible choice to learn it by any means, but I think if you are trying to get hired on the basis of little experience the C# world is more forgiving.

And unity is most definitely C# and C++ (the latter only if you pay them money). Saying that as someone who made a game in it a few years back. That's why so many Unity games are moddable using dll mods, C# is quite malleable that way. I.e. mods for KSP, Cultist Simulator and Rimworld are all done in C#, as are the games themselves. I don't know about unreal but I would be very surprised to see java in it. The only major commercial java game I can think of offhand is Minecraft.

I'm sure Java is technically usable with Unity via some glue library, just, well, I can't think of any game that does that. Not that there probably aren't a few, but I am not aware of any.

I would actually be interested in examples of modern commercial games which use java.

Edit after looking it up:
Here's what StackOverflow says about using java with Unreal Engine:

StackOverflow posted:

How can I develop in Java and still use Unreal Engine 4?

Do you have to use a wrapper (I have heard something about this), do I have to modify the source code that comes with purchase or is there a plugin out there that I can use?

There is, as of this moment time, no Java support on the Unreal Engine. There is a C# plugin available however, you could probably explore how they accomplished it if you plan on making your own wrapper.

(and yes I know he replies "thank you will look into that", but frankly he sounds quite clueless over how much work that would be)

And here's unity:

Unity Support posted:

Hello everyone! I am an beginner in programming, so I decided to learn Java first. Now, I create apps on Java in Android Studio, but I am fond of making games, and unity is the beast choice. The main question -- how can I create Android games in Unity on Java(I know it is possible)?

You can't (effectively). C# is very similar to Java, so just use that.

--Eric

In fact I'm now very curious where you've heard of such a thing, I frankly expected better google results than that even knowing it's not commonly used.

(as a side note I also enjoyed how that very question started with "I am an beginner in programming, so I decided to learn Java first. ", it's very :allears:)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 14, 2019

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Tesseraction posted:

whomst of you

"A bit cheeky?" loving hell. I hope they've started googling "tenant's rights" and "computer misuse act" with the VPN off.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

When it comes to voting intention, one of the most important factors is whether they voted last election. This leaves Labour's campaigning on the youth vote in s great position, because we're starting from a much higher base than in 2017. The polls are still frantically trying to come up with weighting that make sense for phone or internet polls so don't trust them - we can get this.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Incognito mode only affects local files so the fact that he wants them not to use it seems dodgy as gently caress.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

big scary monsters posted:

"A bit cheeky?" loving hell. I hope they've started googling "tenant's rights" and "computer misuse act" with the VPN off.

This reminds me, my landlord forces an adult filter on me too (internet included in the bills/rent). Except he's clueless about technology so I VPN to my VPS and that's that. Frankly I'm curious how he found out, not that it's difficult if you know your way around wireshark or tcpdump, but it seems a bit beyond your average copper.

E:
^^^
I don't see how he could break into the computers, that actually is quite hard even when controlling the local network. Sounds more like his wifi sniffer software is not picking up DNS request packets due to the VPN and he wants to stop that and isn't aware of how incognito mode works.

Also frankly I'm not sure if capturing traffic on your own wifi is illegal.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 14, 2019

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Jesus gently caress, how did we get to the point where a landlord can treat their tenants like they're literal children and thats apparently fine?

Reminds me of when my sister sent a letter to their landlord/neighbour basically going 'stop letting yourself in to use the shed unannounced if I don't answer the door I could be in the shower'. The landlords response was to come around unannounced and have a chat where he complained that the letter was implying he was some kind of pervert (how could you think this of me???) while his wife pretended to cry at us.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Also frankly I'm not sure if capturing traffic on your own wifi is illegal.

That depends on whether the landlord "owns" the wifi, generally if you're renting a house it is, technically, yours in some ways, and taking other people's data is a big no no.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
lol if you think housing laws are enforced at all unless you have serious money to go to court.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mr Phillby posted:

Jesus gently caress, how did we get to the point where a landlord can treat their tenants like they're literal children and thats apparently fine?

Reminds me of when my sister sent a letter to their landlord/neighbour basically going 'stop letting yourself in to use the shed unannounced if I don't answer the door I could be in the shower'. The landlords response was to come around unannounced and have a chat where he complained that the letter was implying he was some kind of pervert (how could you think this of me???) while his wife pretended to cry at us.
By the sound of things like this lardlordin' has gotten so much worse in recent years. Even as a student I was able to tell a few landlords that they needed to give 24 hours notice before turning up as a legal requirement. I can't help but feel the change between then and now is related to legal aid disappearing, and landlords knowing that aside from barring the door, if they let themselves in there's really gently caress all you can do in real terms.

Private Speech posted:

In fact I'm now very curious where you've heard of such a thing, I frankly expected better google results than that even knowing it's not commonly used.
My friend who regularly programs stuff in Java both for work and hobby projects said Unreal is mostly Java. As for Unity, the documentation has (or had two years ago) the option to view examples in c# and java, and when creating code blocks the dropdown lets you do it in C# or Java (although I might be misremembering and it's actually JS, which I know is a distant bastard cousin).

The project I have in mind is a 2d ccg, hearthstone / gwentish, pve only, ad supported and as few mtx as possible. I'm not sure if I should use unity and then just accept an unnecessarily long load time and a ton of bloat, or work with something more lightweight but where I'm going to have to do the bulk of the work myself.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

There's a fuckin reason for guillotines.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Mao had some interesting ideas

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Jesus, thank god I live in a flat let by some boring large company that was formerly owned by some rich dude who hadn't set foot in the country in twenty years. :stare: Can't imagine staying at a place where the landlord was sniping at me for not letting him read my internet history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Ms Adequate posted:

they're not very loving good stalinists if they didn't/don't think the tanks should have been sent in lol

like how do you even get your head around that one?

do they think he would have been "oh the hungarians want to peace out? cool cool, that's fine with me"??

Well it's not my stance, sending the tanks in to stop pogroms in Hungary was cool and good. But it was Khrushchev, not Stalin so it's a bit odd to attribute it to people who think Khrushchev was a lying revisionist who ultimately destroyed the USSR and the socialist camp. Which he was.

And yes, that's literally what they were doing until Andropov, who was in Hungary at the time, managed to contact them and explain the situation on the ground and why it was a fascist uprising that needed to be crushed.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 14, 2019