Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

They promised a game for old fans of the traditional series while LGPE was in development.

AKA please don’t panic; the GO mechanics won’t be in the next one.

And it being exactly that, and nothing else more. Alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ariong posted:

I agree that the outcry surrounding this game is overblown. However, I am also quite irritated by the overdramatic backlash that I see to that outcry, particularly in this thread. All of the "Well it's STUPID to care about graphics and stuff as long as I get to make pokemon friends!" is ridiculous. It's okay to like something and have standards for it. I like pokemon. I'll probably like this one. I'm frustrated by how little improvement or progress is made between installments. Comparing it to Breath of the Wild is absurd, but I did expect it to look better than it does. The designs of the regular pokemon are all quite nice, and I really like the Galar forms, but I find the legendaries to be a bit offputting.

“Over dramatic backlash” to death threats and videos about barely noticeable LOD scaling on shadows of knee high walls that is undisputed proof of why Gamefreak is evil and incompetent.

Look, I get what you are saying, I wish the games were better and are the great leap Forward that this series need. But gently caress you it has been months of non stop complaining about Dexit let us have this

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 14, 2019

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Back in my day I carried that fat mouse both ways up hill and liked it

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Really? What are the top 5 Zelda's then?
okay, thinking about it? I'd say it's tied with Skyward as 5th.
Majora's, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Cadence of Hyrule (it counts, kind of), then Skyward/BotW, both of which are held back by various poo poo

Skyward has terrible writing and worse controls, but really good dungeon design and aesthetic (time travel sand dungeon is great)
BotW has some fun characters & Princess Zelda is written the best she's been, but... 95% of the plot is stuff that's already happened, like a slightly more involved version of Audio Log collecting; the only good dungeon stuff is in the DLC; and because it focuses so much on exploration as the core gameplay element, you can't really replay it because you already know where everything is - you're not gonna be surprised when you see a crazy rear end dragon pop out of the lake, thinking you've found a secret boss, you're just gonna go "oh hey, lemme shoot him real quick for some upgrade materials"

that being said, this is the pokemon thread so I don't wanna derail too much. Have an espeon.
https://twitter.com/LuxxArt/status/1193975799684227072

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

doomisland posted:

Red and Blue (and Yellow, by extension) absolutely shaped my tastes in video games and media, and I will never, ever play them again because they're the Groverhaus of video games.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

doomisland posted:

fun fact: I never evolved pikachu while playing Leafgreen, because I remembered watching the anime episode where Ash beat Surge's Raichu and I thought pikachu had a higher speed stat or something

this was also the game I used a butterfree in, also because of the anime

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Yellow was hard because it was poorly designed. You had to carry that fat mouse all the way to the end, and couldn't even evolve it.

Yeah, revisited yellow recently and loving woof. Pikachu is just useless. The anime did a lot of work convincing us pikachu is cool because lord was pikachu garbage in game.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think Mareep is the better sheep and if I could trade wooloo for it I would

Wooloo is cute, but it doesn't feel like a pokemon to me. It looks like someones niece or nephew drew a 'cloud' sheep and it accidentally got snuck into approved designs. I like mareeps tail and odd coloring (and Ampharos is one of my favorite mons despite not being a sheep at all anymore)

If they were both in Galar I'd be fine... but now that I must pick favorites I'm sorry Wooloo

Yeah I like Wooloo well enough but Ampharos is my fave mon and Wooloo existing is probably the #1 reason I can’t bring my Denryuu that I’ve had since Emerald.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
i could be setting myself up for disappointment here, but i really hope the next game evolves on the concepts they've introduced here. like, whole overworld being akin to the wild area would be kickass

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

“Over dramatic backlash” to death threats and videos about barely noticeable LOD scaling.

Look, I get what you are saying, I wish the games were better and are the great leap Forward that this series need. But gently caress you it has been months of non stop complaining about Dexit let us have this

I don't think anyone here is referring to that when people talk about the backlash. Personally I had someone tell me that I wanted gamefreak staff worked to the death because I said it'd be good if they had more time to work on the game. So yeah people did get pretty over dramatic over stuff they probably didn't need to.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/everydaylouie/status/1194791443346288640

this person shouldve been in charge of swsh

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

me: this game is slightly disappointing in scope and I'm not fond of some of the changes, I'm feeling distinctly underwhelmed

also me: hee hee hoo hoo I know it's supposed to get here on friday but what if it accidentally gets delivered early, I should check my tracking number again

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Why did you need the Dawn Stone before putting it in your party?

Kirlia was fragile as hell when I was using it in the team earlier, and I didn't want to have to keep pressing B on every level-up.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

:hmmyes:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Spatula City posted:

Kirlia was fragile as hell when I was using it in the team earlier, and I didn't want to have to keep pressing B on every level-up.
the everstone isn't just for breeding, you know

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

doctor iono posted:

hope the next game evolves on the concepts they've introduced here

Buddy, when have they ever done this?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

BW/BW2

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/anipoke_PR/status/1194827295820660736

Ash's trophies :3:

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Was the Clefairy doll a participation prize from one of the Kanto tournaments?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Unlucky7 posted:

“Over dramatic backlash” to death threats and videos about barely noticeable LOD scaling on shadows of knee high walls that is undisputed proof of why Gamefreak is evil and incompetent.

Nobody with two brain cells to rub together would genuinely read my post as referring to the people sending death threats over pokemon. Don't be ridiculous. Obviously the people sending death threats and making overblown accusations of malice are ridiculous and should be made fun of. However, you should not respond to their existence by going completely in the other direction and refusing to acknowledge that the game has faults that could possibly hinder the player's enjoyment.

Unlucky7 posted:

First of all, if it's causing you this much turmoil I highly suggest disengaging from the community until you recharge. I unbookmarked this thread a while ago and only pop in occasionally, and "occasionally" is exactly how often I've been exposed to complaining about Dexit. It's nice. I'd doubly suggest it if mild criticism is enough to make you feel like you have had something taken away from you.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Pokemon-amie (or whatever the "brush, clean, and feed your pokes" mechanic is called now) has been kept and slightly iterated on throughout the games. I wish they would do that more often.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Yellow was hard because it was poorly designed. You had to carry that fat mouse all the way to the end, and couldn't even evolve it.

IDK, my mom bought Yellow for herself and she boxed him almost immediately. I wound up trading her for it because I thought they made it a stronger pikachu or something but it still sucked.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Please don't source this quote, tia

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pylons posted:

Yellow was actually pretty loving hard IIRC.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

alpha_destroy posted:

Yeah, revisited yellow recently and loving woof. Pikachu is just useless. The anime did a lot of work convincing us pikachu is cool because lord was pikachu garbage in game.

Have y’all heard the word of our lord and saviour, the true Yellow starter, Nidoking

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yes, as someone who complains about pokemon I consider myself to be exactly as brave and noble as the citizens of Hong Kong.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

yeahhh not often, but Pokemon actually appearing in the overworld in addition to the old random encounter system definitely seems like it would make the world a lot more alive and vibrant, seems like a no-brainer improvement if you're developing for more powerful consoles going forward

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ariong posted:

Nobody with two brain cells to rub together would genuinely read my post as referring to the people sending death threats over pokemon. Don't be ridiculous. Obviously the people sending death threats and making overblown accusations of malice are ridiculous and should be made fun of. However, you should not respond to their existence by going completely in the other direction and refusing to acknowledge that the game has faults that could possibly hinder the player's enjoyment.

First of all, if it's causing you this much turmoil I highly suggest disengaging from the community until you recharge. I unbookmarked this thread a while ago and only pop in occasionally, and "occasionally" is exactly how often I've been exposed to complaining about Dexit. It's nice. I'd doubly suggest it if mild criticism is enough to make you feel like you have had something taken away from you.

I am perfectly fine with what you said, I just hate the idea that now it is okay to tut tut people for daring to be hyped about the game because somebody else said some stupid poo poo when much worse was said and done elsewhere.

However, you are right, I did overreact and I apologize.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/JunhHuang/status/1194291196467662849

Cool fan art. Definitely sticking with the monkey

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm really hoping that seeing Intelleon in motion sells me on it, because right now it's just not doing it for me.

Unlucky7 posted:

I am perfectly fine with what you said, I just hate the idea that now it is okay to tut tut people for daring to be hyped about the game because somebody else said some stupid poo poo when much worse was said and done elsewhere.

However, you are right, I did overreact and I apologize.

You're right, though. It's not okay to tut-tut at people for being hype about the game. You can be excited for it, look forward to it, and enjoy it, and be perfectly valid in doing so. The behavior I was expressing frustration with was the kind where someone will post about how they are disappointed by something or another, and someone else will respond to that with some quip about how as long as you can catch cool pokemon nothing else matters. I understand the frustration with the unnecessary criticism, but that sort of thing does the game a disservice.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ariong posted:

I'm really hoping that seeing Intelleon in motion sells me on it, because right now it's just not doing it for me.

There's concept art I can't locate of him cool-posing with a finger gun and it's rad; Inteleon is just Pink Panther James Bond. Extremely good

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Borsche69 posted:

Its a fair comparison that one development team with a certain amount of monetary resources could be matched by another development team with similar monetary resources. I mean, BOTW sold around 16 mil copies, which is generally what the pokemon games sell for. It's not like gamefreak are some set of indie developers or something, I don't know why people are so willing to give them excuses.

BotW's dev team was also several times the size of Gamefreaks, and that's not even accounting for BotW yoinking people from OTHER dev teams to get poo poo done.

Hell, even if Gamefreak didn't have a tiny dev team it wouldn't really be valid, due to the latter part.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Supremezero posted:

BotW's dev team was also several times the size of Gamefreaks, and that's not even accounting for BotW yoinking people from OTHER dev teams to get poo poo done.

I'm not terribly interested in or knowledgable of internal dynamics at these companies, but I will say that if yoinking would result in a Pokemon game that was BotW but Pokemon, they would make a billion trillion dollars off it so they should maybe consider doing it

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

There's concept art I can't locate of him cool-posing with a finger gun and it's rad; Inteleon is just Pink Panther James Bond. Extremely good

https://twitter.com/SobbleLeak/status/1193897115082248193

https://twitter.com/ItsJackDaniel/status/1193942137567494144

Here's a few.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

I'm not terribly interested in or knowledgable of internal dynamics at these companies, but I will say that if yoinking would result in a Pokemon game that was BotW but Pokemon, they would make a billion trillion dollars off it so they should maybe consider doing it

Yeah, and if the credits of the S/M US/UM are of any indication, they already subcontract a lot of work.
Would also help to have a sane and lengthy enough development cycle.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

drat that’s one cool lizard.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Na its monkey all the way.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

qnqnx posted:

Yeah, and if the credits of the S/M US/UM are of any indication, they already subcontract a lot of work.
Would also help to have a sane and lengthy enough development cycle.

Breath of the Wild supposedly was in development for 10 years, I can't imagine Game Freak wanting to work on a single game for that long. The mainline Pokemon games are only in development for around 3 iirc

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

What was the link to that sword/shield team planner?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

It's probably the most demanded type of game over the past 20 years. The problem is Game Freak: a company that hit the lottery with their IP and locked down development to their core team of very incompetent devs. They have even said they don't want to do pokemon anymore. They're lazy and just going through the motions for their obligations. They put out indie quality games because they're essentially the same studio that put out red and blue.

If they handed off their IP to any developers that could outshine them, there would be no reason to keep their mediocre team around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It honestly drives me insane how tight lipped and stick in their ways some Japanese devs are. Like did the yakuza threaten to cut their pinkies off if they didn't make TMs single use items again?? I wouldn't even care if it wasn't such an inscrutable mystery of how their brains work.