Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sobatchja Morda posted:

It's also the only Zelda game which positions itself as a straight-up sequel in the title, so I wouldn't be surprised if recycling a lot of core assets and mechanics speeds up development. I feel the closest comparison for a straight sequel like this, next to Majora, would be Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. While the first one took ages to make, the second took on y three years.

So yeah, 2020 sounds reasonable to me.

A Link Between Worlds' Japanese title is Triforce of the Gods 2, but even that one isn't a direct sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Sobatchja Morda posted:

It's also the only Zelda game which positions itself as a straight-up sequel in the title, so I wouldn't be surprised if recycling a lot of core assets and mechanics speeds up development. I feel the closest comparison for a straight sequel like this, next to Majora, would be Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. While the first one took ages to make, the second took on y three years.

So yeah, 2020 sounds reasonable to me.

Breath of the Wild 2 is not the actual title. It's just what everyone is calling it. Nintendo has only referred to it as "the sequel to Breath of the Wild"

E: never mind, I just realized you're saying it's the only direct sequel in the series, not that it's literally titled as a sequel. Carry on

E2: hold on isn't Majora's Mask a direct sequel? I thought it's supposed to be the same main character as Ocarina.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 13, 2019

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Yeah but it was also explicitly a side story with a wildly different tone.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Breath to the Wild

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RBA Starblade posted:

Breath to the Wild

2 Breath 2 Wild

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina, but is sort of a swerve to the side.

Link Between Worlds is titled as a sequel to Link to the Past, but takes place a century later.

Phantom Hourglass is a sequel to Windwaker, but is bad.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Sobatchja Morda posted:

It's also the only Zelda game which positions itself as a straight-up sequel in the title

Electric Boogaloo

pooch516 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 13, 2019

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Oracles of Seasons is a sequel to Oracle of Ages, which is a sequel to Oracle of Seasons.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I've cleared a little less than half the shrines on the map and they're really making me miss dungeons. :-/ the open world aspect is really cool and nuanced but i hope the sequel expands on the dungeons. I've only beat one guardian beast though so maybe there's more of that later.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah the lack of puzzle continuity (not to mention the abundance of samey combat challenges) killed my desire to do the shrines. I liked running around to find them but never bothered actually completing more than thirty or so. I'll basically forgive any design issues with BotW2 if they have a more solid dungeon progression.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Lack of proper dungeons was probably major complaint number 2 that I heard the most (after weapon durability) so they'll probably be back unless Nintendo decides they're utterly incompatible with whatever their vision of botw2 is

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Weapon durability is a great way to make sure i horde elemental weapons and have at most 2-3 slots left for the things i actually use.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Maybe you should work out your issues

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I loved the feeling of treaure chests in an open world game having items I would actually use instead of immediately throwing into the trash bin so I hope they achieve that in a different manner if durability is gone

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was the opposite, I realized there was little reason to explore since it's all the same. Five bucks, a seed, or one of four weapons. It was the same for combat after a bit, once I upgraded armor a bit. It's part of why I just beelined the castle after elephant guardian. There's no reason not to try whenever (though that part is great).

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think there's really a reason to hold on to elemental weapons besides one fire/ice each to game low-level environmental hazards.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Freezing enemies and shattering them feels nice so I like ice weapons. Of course, you can do it with ice arrows too...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Elemental weapons are fun but there's no reason to hoard them

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah the lack of puzzle continuity (not to mention the abundance of samey combat challenges) killed my desire to do the shrines. I liked running around to find them but never bothered actually completing more than thirty or so. I'll basically forgive any design issues with BotW2 if they have a more solid dungeon progression.

Some of the shrine puzzles are really good, some are way too simple, and the fact that they can be tackled in almost any order is definitely an issue - it’s a bit weird when you find a trivial puzzle that would normally be introducing a new mechanic after you’ve already solved more complex puzzles using that mechanic.

I’d have been sorry to miss the good shrines though, the ones that require you to use more than one rune are very fun.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

cheetah7071 posted:

Lack of proper dungeons was probably major complaint number 2 that I heard the most (after weapon durability) so they'll probably be back unless Nintendo decides they're utterly incompatible with whatever their vision of botw2 is

Nintendo's vision for BoTW2: Zelda Dating Sim

No dungeons, but more bare-chested Gannondorf.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Soricidus posted:

Some of the shrine puzzles are really good, some are way too simple, and the fact that they can be tackled in almost any order is definitely an issue - it’s a bit weird when you find a trivial puzzle that would normally be introducing a new mechanic after you’ve already solved more complex puzzles using that mechanic.

I’d have been sorry to miss the good shrines though, the ones that require you to use more than one rune are very fun.

Yeah, I know I missed out on some ones I'd really like. But even aside from the (seemingly) random chance at whether you get a good puzzle, the lack of flow dragged even the good ones down for me. It just works so much better to me to have related puzzles flow together as you go through a similarly-themed dungeon, a really good one is just going to seem so much better in the context of you working through those escalating challenges, compared to the exact same puzzle just sitting somewhere random on the map that you visit, spend five minutes thinking through, then leave behind forever. That just kinda killed my interest in seeking out more good shrines that I might like.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

BotW's one trailer has our heroes exploring a deep cave so I'm REALLY hoping that's how the whole game is. Replace the climbing with spelunking! It's all I've wanted out of Zelda for like 20 years! GIVE IT TO ME NINTENDO.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MokBa posted:

BotW's one trailer has our heroes exploring a deep cave so I'm REALLY hoping that's how the whole game is. Replace the climbing with spelunking! It's all I've wanted out of Zelda for like 20 years! GIVE IT TO ME NINTENDO.

It can't rain in a cave :hmmyes:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A Zelda 1 remake but you have to spelunk to get to the old man who gives you a sword

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Captain Hygiene posted:

It can't rain in a cave :hmmyes:

Tell that to the City of Tears in Hollow Knight. Checkmate, atheists.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

Noooooo! Dungeons are the shittiest parts of Zelda games! The Shrines were perfect!

Unless the dungeons are like Hyrule Castle and are just part of the world. That could be okay, I guess.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Dungeons are the shittiest parts of Zelda games!

:yikes:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Noooooo! Dungeons are the shittiest parts of Zelda games! The Shrines were perfect!

Unless the dungeons are like Hyrule Castle and are just part of the world. That could be okay, I guess.

No

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I loved BotW but :lol:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Noooooo! Dungeons are the shittiest parts of Zelda games!

What the gently caress

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I really like the Zelda games, except for that lovely Link guy and all his weapons

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Captain Hygiene posted:

I really like the Zelda games, except for that lovely Link guy and all his weapons

I agree, we should play as the cute short hair zelda instead in botw2

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

cheetah7071 posted:

I agree, we should play as groose

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

I agree, we should play as the cute short hair zelda instead in botw2

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Amppelix posted:

Maybe you should work out your issues

you scoundrel. you absolute braggart. i play videogames do do to the opposite of that. fiend. villain.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm kidding about Link of course, but yes, every game would be improved by the ability to play as short-haired and/or pirate Zelda.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nintendo's top artists have poured their whole lives into designing Zeldas (the character) for maximizing player attachment while minimizing being weird about it. It is remarkable to watch, but sooner or later consumers won't be satisfied with just getting to play as her in spinoffs. They're playing with fire, here.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

put botw zelda in smash

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Kassad posted:

Freezing enemies and shattering them feels nice so I like ice weapons. Of course, you can do it with ice arrows too...

Ice arrows are the easiest cheat for catching horses.

(Landing directly on them from a glide is the most fun one but needs very careful aiming.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Runcible Cat posted:

Ice arrows are the easiest cheat for catching horses.

Monster