Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

kilus aof posted:

SWTOR has Carbonite freezing all the time. In frames that look the same as the one Han was in. Often with the pose Han was in. Often associated with bounty hunters and Hutts. And with the exact thaw procedure as Han in Jedi. And all of this was supposed to be 3600 years before the movies. And now days everyone is pointing out how every little novel thing in the movies that seemed to be improvised by the situation at hand is changed to the standard operating procedure it's just so obviously out of place.

That's stupid as well. Even more stupid in fact. That said, wasn't TOR a pice of poo poo?

It's just the typical Star Wars EU lack of imagination. If you see an alien extra as a thug, that means they come from a planet of all thugs. Musician? Same thing. OT was about plucky rebels and an evil with a superweapon, every war and conflict in SW is that. Lightsabers. Lightsabers. Lightsabers.

This series at least seems to explores another side of Star Wars that's often been more of a background thing, where it's kind of a seedy, dusty, space western.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
SWTOR sucks.

e. That said just how loving salty Bioware comes across in TOR's writing over the direction Obsidian took KOTOR 2 is pretty funny imo.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Randarkman posted:

That's stupid as well. Even more stupid in fact. That said, wasn't TOR a pice of poo poo?

It's just the typical Star Wars EU lack of imagination. If you see an alien extra as a thug, that means they come from a planet of all thugs. Musician? Same thing. OT was about plucky rebels and an evil with a superweapon, every war and conflict in SW is that. Lightsabers. Lightsabers. Lightsabers.

SWTOR's writers wanted to make fun Star Wars stories with the aforementioned lack of imagination. Its system design was just classic WoW but without any reasoning why those system were the way they were. So everything WoW did is there but worse. I play it every 3 or so years and it starts out really fun and then I leave with the impression that somehow the lead designer personally hates me and deliberately designed the game to spite me.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

kilus aof posted:

SWTOR has Carbonite freezing all the time. In frames that look the same as the one Han was in. Often with the pose Han was in. Often associated with bounty hunters and Hutts. And with the exact thaw procedure as Han in Jedi. And all of this was supposed to be 3600 years before the movies. And now days everyone is pointing out how every little novel thing in the movies that seemed to be improvised by the situation at hand is changed to the standard operating procedure it's just so obviously out of place.

Had the same complaint when I played SWTOR

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
think i might rewatch alien this weekend, that movie's p good

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Ladies and gentlemen... Maclunkey.

https://twitter.com/ericfell/status/1194180485129199619?s=21

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Sydin posted:

SWTOR sucks.

e. That said just how loving salty Bioware comes across in TOR's writing over the direction Obsidian took KOTOR 2 is pretty funny imo.

they didn't like broken endings in broken planets?

george lucas keeps loving his movies to the bitter end

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

pnutz posted:

george lucas keeps loving his movies to the bitter end

I don’t think he’s involved anymore

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Chrs posted:

I don’t think he’s involved anymore

George Lucas is credited with the new version. My guess is that there's probably something in the contract he made with Disney that only he can make and approve new versions of the original movies.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Lucas is literally just trolling at this point. There will be at least three more versions of that scene before he dies.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

Lucas is literally just trolling at this point. There will be at least three more versions of that scene before he dies.

i'd edit it so that Greedo doesn't even say anything. Han just murders some random alien in the bar before leaving

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Hopefully in the next one we actually get to see Maclunkey.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Sydin posted:

So do enough people actually care about Mandelorians to premise a whole TV show around them?

Like yeah Boba Fett was a big deal for no other reason than he had a very well designed costume, and everybody inexplicably built him up as the ultimate badass even though in the OT all he did was walk the Hansicle up a loading ramp, get his gun cut in half by Luke, and then get casually tapped on the back by Han Blindo sending him careening into a pit. Then Lucas tried to live up to that hype with Jango Fett, a literal clone with a worse designed costume who still ends up coming off as a loser chump who continually gets dunked on by Jedi. KOTOR 1 & 2 fleshed them out as an actual race a bit, but even then 90% of the ones you meet might as well be orcs for all the nuance they have beyond tough guy thugs. I think there was also a mary sue girl in one of animated shows who was Mandalore, or something? Is that why people care?

idk just seems weird to me they get so much interest when honestly at least in the material I've seen they kinda suck.

Mandalorian armor is really cool looking, and of course the vast, vast majority of Star Wars fans are interested in a bounty hunter dude in the sweet armor killing people all across the galaxy, especially if he's played by Pedro Pascal. That's like the best possible TV series to start the franchise with.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Randarkman posted:

George Lucas is credited with the new version. My guess is that there's probably something in the contract he made with Disney that only he can make and approve new versions of the original movies.

Word on the street is George Lucas made yet another cut of A New Hope with that scene all the way back in 2007 and there simply hasn't been a new DVD/Blu-ray release (the BD releases are ugly upscales of the 1999 Special Edition) of the movie since then... so naturally that's the version that hits Disney+. Dude is totally loving insane and probably impossible to work with, so I assume Disney was just like "Whatever George, sure. Please never talk to us about the OT again."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Imagine creating a film that is just a powerhouse cultural phenomenon that takes the world by storm and makes you a fabulously wealthy household name, and instead of saying "hell yeah, I did it" you just can't stop messing with the successful draft to almost everyone's ire and doing your damnedest to memory hole the theatrical version. People are weird.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mooey Cow posted:

Star Wars: Rise of MacLunky

Featuring Star Wars' first thickly accented Scottish Jedi.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mooey Cow posted:

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Reminder that the Despecialized Editions exist, and the best part about releasing restored footage, is that the Despecialized team have new sources to improve the final cut.

Sydin posted:

So do enough people actually care about Mandelorians to premise a whole TV show around them?

Oh lord no.

But "what if we turned completely murderous cutthroats loose in this universe" is almost universally fun for fanfic writers.

Canderous Ordo in KOTOR already did it better though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D883YDu-PzU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
You gotta assume the one and only reason why Disney hasn't released Blu-rays of the original theatrical cuts is because George Lucas forbid it as part of the Lucasfilm sale because he's a crazy person. Otherwise I can't see why Disney, possibly the most money hungry corporation on this planet, didn't immediately announce they're doing it like 5 seconds after acquiring Star Wars.

But yeah, the Despecialized Editions are quite good and have only improved since I watched them a few years back, but I'd still love to have OT Blu-rays on my shelf because they're a huge part of my childhood and who I've become as a person.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I haven’t seen the mandalorian because gently caress signing up for Disney plus, but is the show trying to say that Yodas people are just naturally good at the force? And that Dagobah is their home planet?

Both of those are stupid. The idea that Yoda’s entire species is just Good At It diminishes both Yoda and the force, while making Dagobah their home planet makes Yoda completely retarded.

“Hide from Death squads I must”
*returns to last known address*

Burns
May 10, 2008

Wasnt it revealed that the original would not be re- released so that no royalties are paid to his exwife?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gutcruncher posted:

I haven’t seen the mandalorian because gently caress signing up for Disney plus, but is the show trying to say that Yodas people are just naturally good at the force? And that Dagobah is their home planet?

Oh my god lol. I don't know which I want more: this to be false or this to be true.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Gutcruncher posted:

Literally all we know as of this ep is that the eponymous character is sent to retrieve or for a lesser fee kill what turns out to be a (50 year old) infant yoda-species by a guy with a big Flava Flav Bling Imperial wheel medallion flanked by stormtroopers, and that a doctor guy affiliated with that dude strongly prefers it be brought in alive, and also that an IG hunter robot got the contract, but said it was specifically for termination.

It could be that the doctor guy wants to vivisect it to make some kind of youth serum out of the long-lived yoda kind.

Dagobah literally does not figure into it at all. The planets aren't named with like title cards, but it's basically Planet Antarctica, Planet semi-urban dirt pit, and Planet Craigy Hardpan Dustbowl.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gutcruncher posted:

Both of those are stupid. The idea that Yoda’s entire species is just Good At It diminishes both Yoda and the force, while making Dagobah their home planet makes Yoda completely retarded.

“Hide from Death squads I must”
*returns to last known address*

Well there's only been one episode shown so far and baby Yoda is literally at the end, so anything saying what the show is going to say in particular about the Yoda species is just speculation at this point

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Owlbear Camus posted:

The planets aren't named with like title cards, but it's basically Planet Antarctica, Planet semi-urban dirt pit, and Planet Craigy Hardpan Dustbowl.
I'm betting a whole lot of this show will take place on Planet California.

Or maybe they'll go the Stargate route and everywhere will be Vancouver.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Maclunkey is the greedo word for "unnnnngh I'm orgasming hard!"

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kazak posted:

Maybe Greedo isn't even dead. Maybe it's just a weird sex thing he and Han do whenever they meet up.

Like a gloryhole but with blasters.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Was the greedo and han solo thing even a big deal before george started messing with it? The whole scene is like a minute long.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Kazak posted:

Dang. Greedo sex must be one hell of a great time.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Burns posted:

Was the greedo and han solo thing even a big deal before george started messing with it? The whole scene is like a minute long.

Lol. Not at all. It's a short throwaway scene showing how rough and lawless Tatooine is and slight characterization of how Han Solo is an amoral murderous jerk before his turn to heroism much later in the movie. Han shoots first was never supposed to be a thing, but George Lucas is bonkers.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Burns posted:

Wasnt it revealed that the original would not be re- released so that no royalties are paid to his exwife?

That was the rumour, but I think it was disproven as all of the special editions still require paying her share of the royalties.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I didnt mind the carbonite. made sense to me that after 6 years the story of Han on Bespin would be galaxy wide legend, and enterprising bounty hunters knew a good thing when they heard about it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

I didnt mind the carbonite. made sense to me that after 6 years the story of Han on Bespin would be galaxy wide legend, and enterprising bounty hunters knew a good thing when they heard about it.

it would be nice if they came up with some cool new sci-fi things instead of just doing endless call-backs

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

The Walrus posted:

No different than probably what the rise of blaster pistols/rifles was like. Some dude created blasters, so every person in the galaxy quickly gave up traditional ammo for a limitless energy source that penetrates armor and murders your target instantly.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

In the 70s they did not have the technology to have a character shout "Maclunkey" but now thanks to the magic of modern digital filmmaking the scene can finally be what Lucas originally envisioned

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The Walrus posted:

It couldn't have been that revolutionary... Leia told Han he had hibernation sickness when he thawed out, so that kind of thing was at least common enough that it had a name and predictable consequences.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/lepEV9S.mp4

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Why hasn't this thread been renamed to "The Rise of Maclunkey" yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

No different than probably what the rise of blaster pistols/rifles was like. Some dude created blasters, so every person in the galaxy quickly gave up traditional ammo for a limitless energy source that penetrates armor and murders your target instantly.

but blasters suck. blaster bolts are slower than bullets, give away your location, can be deflected by laser swords, and they do less damage than a bullet too. Leia gets hit in the shoulder with a blaster and it doesn't blow her arm off, she doesn't even seem to bleed. it just sort of knocks her over
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-NdcWLltXo