Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for cancelling our 'siblings only' vacation because my brother wants to bring his mother-in law?

quote:

This happened last night:

A couple days ago I suggested to my brothers and sister that we take a 'brothers and sisters only trip' to all hang out together. We all live in different cites in the US. We all have good relationships, and everyone likes each other. Everyone was on board with the idea, and we were naming cities we’d go to and figuring out dates that would work. I have two brothers; one older, and one younger, and one younger sister. Each of my brothers is married. My older brother, whom I'm the closest with, married a Thai woman. And my sister is single. We're all in our mid 30s. My older brother has a baby, three months old with his Thai wife. Their mother moved from Thailand and lives with them to watch the baby while they both go to work.

After two days of chatting and planning yesterday we all agreed to go to NOLA. We're all on board and I was like eh it’s not my first choice but all right. This is just a brothers and sisters trip mind you. Just siblings, wives, and kids.

So after all this and figuring out dates and where we’re going my brother mentions that his wife's mom would be with them, coming. And I was like nah, pump the breaks, mothers are not invited. And my older brother was like, yeah she is, we can’t leave her alone. He said she speaks no English and lives at their house, and didn't want to leave her alone. He said, "what if something happens?"

So then I’m like I don’t want to go on the trip with my brother's MIL. The whole point is to hang out with just siblings. And my brother's like well trip is off then, and I’m like okay. My older brother said I'm being selfish and it wouldn't be right to leave her alone for 4 days while we all went on vacation.

My other brother and sister were on my older brother's side, saying they understood, and I am by myself here thinking how strange it is that my sister-in-laws' mom would come on the trip. My wife agrees with me that it's strange. So now the trip is off, and I'm stuck here wondering "what the hell."

Edit: For everyone saying that she has to be alone. I suggested that our parents come stay at the house while we were on vacation so she wouldn't be alone. They are retired and would be happy to come, especially more because their share a grandchild. There are other options. Also, what's wrong with being alone? She's not bedridden.

Edit 2: Everyones getting hung up that I said "Siblings trip." So I'll clarify that the original trip was planned in a group chat with my siblings and their wives. The in-laws were included in the planning and it was assumed they would be coming as well by all parties. If I took out siblings only in the title, and just put 'siblings, wives, and kids only,' which is what the trip was, then it might make more sense. The MIL was the only late addition change. The point is that the people involved in the planning understood who was and wasn't coming. It was everyone in the group chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for basically snapping at a stranger who spoke to me in Mandarin because of my appearance?

quote:

I'm a 25M Chinese American - I have familial roots in HK (thus I look Asian) but grew up in the US. Also of note is that I recently finished a masters degree in Germany, speak adequate German, and am back in my US hometown for two weeks.

So, I'm in line at Starbucks when a white guy gets in line behind me, gets my attention and asks me something in Mandarin with a smile. Which I don't understand. When I stare at him blankly he repeats himself, then asks me in English if I spoke Mandarin. It felt like a bad pick-up attempt.

Besides being morning-grumpy, I've heard stories from female friends of mine of getting approached with Ni Hao or Konichiwa just because they were Asian, the majority of which were crude pick-up lines. And personally I take poorly to the assumption of someone's ethnicity and culture when in the US; English should be the only one assumed IMO. So in that moment I not-so-politely responded in German "Ich spreche kein Chinesisch. Sprichst du Deutsch, da du weiß aussiehst?" (I don't speak Chinese. Do you speak German, because you look white?) I'm assuming he didn't understand any of that, but he muttered "sorry" and I turned back around and ordered my drink - in English.

I didn't think much of it until now, and while all I did was mirror his own actions (assume his mother tongue) I'm wondering if this was crossing the line. Thoughts?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for basically snapping at a stranger who spoke to me in Mandarin because of my appearance?

Owns. Best part is even if she spoke Chinese it would be Cantonese since her family’s from Hong Kong

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA For outing my husband's kinks to my friends?

So let me [F26] start something off because otherwise everyone is going to flip. Nothing that we do is without my whole and full consent. My husband [28M] has a few unusual kinks that he brought up when he felt comfortable after we'd been dating for a few years.

He never pressured me into it and I had to stress that I was okay with it before he'd explore it with me.

He likes women drunk (before you all grab torches and pitchforks, again I need to stress, never without my explicit consent and he's never pressured me once)

So obviously he loves it when I go out with the girls and get hammered or when I have happy hours at work etc. And I like it because it's fun and I never have to worry about my partner getting annoyed if I go out with my friends.

So here's the problem:

I got nice and tipsy one evening a few days ago with my friends and we were all talking about our lives, the conversation turned towards our partners and I made an offhand joke about him being happy that I'm coming home night and drunk. One of my friends (let's call her A) pressed for more information since it was an unusual comment. I answered why and moved on with the night.

The next day I found out that she's been telling my friends some awful things about him, from a friend who wasn't there (She called me obviously concerned). He found out from A's husband and he is pretty unhappy with me for sharing this information and he's been pretty withdrawn over the last few days, I was telling him it's not a big deal and trying to snap him out of this funk, but he seems to think it's a major problem.

AITA?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for being annoyed that my girlfriend wants me to wear a necklace that shows prominently that we are in a relationship all the time?

My girlfriend has recently given me a necklace that shows prominently that we are in a relationship. She wants me to wear it pretty much all the time.

I am a bit upset with this and told her it makes me thinks she doesn’t trust me. She said “I trust and love you baby, it is the ho’s in this neighbourhood I don’t trust want them to know you are mine”.

:(

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Good lord we just went over this recently. loving read you idiot.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

goethe.cx posted:

Owns. Best part is even if she spoke Chinese it would be Cantonese since her family’s from Hong Kong

But...how did he recognize it was Mandarin then?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Good lord we just went over this recently. loving read you idiot.

:jerkbag:

chitoryu12 posted:

But...how did he recognize it was Mandarin then?

I mean, you can recognize a language without understanding it

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

goethe.cx posted:

I mean, you can recognize a language without understanding it

Yeah but if you don't speak Chinese you aren't going to tell the dialects apart, and it's even less likely if his family is from a Cantonese-speaking region that he would be able to hear Chinese and immediately recognize it as Mandarin.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Everyone who thinks the brake checker was even slightly the rear end in a top hat should have their license taken away.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah but if you don't speak Chinese you aren't going to tell the dialects apart, and it's even less likely if his family is from a Cantonese-speaking region that he would be able to hear Chinese and immediately recognize it as Mandarin.

Nah, I'm in that exact boat and it's pretty easy to recognize if you think about it, approximately the same way a French-speaker can probably recognize Spanish without being able to hold a conversation in it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hobo Clown posted:

If you're driving in the passing lane and going slower than everyone else then you deserve to be tailgated.

it's not like you're going anywhere all that important

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DemoneeHo posted:

loving owned lol, definitely NTA

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yond Cassius posted:

Nah, I'm in that exact boat and it's pretty easy to recognize if you think about it, approximately the same way a French-speaker can probably recognize Spanish without being able to hold a conversation in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2km_z4-1T8

They start doing sentence comparisons at 6:20. If I didn't have the reference right in front of me, I'd never be able to tell them apart from someone just suddenly speaking to me.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

chitoryu12 posted:

They start doing sentence comparisons at 6:20. If I didn't have the reference right in front of me, I'd never be able to tell them apart from someone just suddenly speaking to me.

That sounds like a personal problem to me. I'm telling you, I'm a second-generation Hong Konger with mediocre Cantonese, and I can semi-reliably recognize Mandarin when it's being spoken to me, even if I couldn't tell you a drat thing about its actual content.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Did you somehow miss the part where the guy asked if he spoke Mandarin? I don't understand why you're so hung up on this.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Why not? I don't speak Chinese and even I can semi-reliably tell the difference between Cantonese and Mandarin, simply from being told when people are speaking one vs the other and picking up on the verbal differences. They use the same characters but the vocalizations are more different than alike, they're practically 2 different languages when spoken. Like French vs English more than Minnesotan vs Bostonian

The guy talking at the OP also directly asked him, in English, whether he speaks Mandarin. So... that's a good clue

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 14, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah but if you don't speak Chinese you aren't going to tell the dialects apart,

They're not dialects, Mandarin and Cantonese are totally different languages that don't even sound alike.
There is no such thing as a "Chinese language".

Like don't tell me if you heard someone going off in Italian next to someone going off in French that you wouldn't have a decent idea which was which.

EDIT: In the video you posted he says they are both Sinitic/Chinese languages which is true, in the sense that he's saying they're part of the same sub-family of a larger language family. Just like French and Italian are both Romance languages, part of the larger (much larger) Indo-European language family. But you wouldn't think twice about mixing those two up yeah?

Grape fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 14, 2019

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Jenrai posted:

Everyone who thinks the brake checker was even slightly the rear end in a top hat should have their license taken away.

Where should I send it? Both tailgating and brake checking can and should be classed as dangerous driving you knob.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I praise the tailgaters, the break checkers, the coal rollers, the truck nutters. Make road rash real (Vote me, 2020)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

dudeness posted:

I praise the tailgaters, the break checkers, the coal rollers, the truck nutters. Make road rash real (Vote me, 2020)

What is your position on rubber labia for the trailer hitch reciever tube?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I haven't seen someone have a glass of milk in years and I hadnt realized it until just now.

This is pages back but:

I dont drink and I find it amusing to order a pint of milk from the bar. The bartender always has to double check that yes, I want a plain pint of milk and I get strange looks from patrons as I sit at the bar nursing a tall udder-sauce.

Try it sometime. It’s a different bar experience altogether.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I can describe right now, Cantonese has a percussive very bouncy kind of sound (it has like six tones or some poo poo).
Mandarin has this kind of sound in it a lot where it sort of sounds like someone's almost closing their teeth up but exhaling air to make some of the needed intonations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA For telling my friend he could run a DND game at my house and that I was excited to play, but, upon finding out the “twist” he put on his “DND” game, telling him I would not participate?

I’m an avid DND player and so is the friend in question.

I told my friend he could host a DND one shot (a one-day DND game) at my house and that I was excited to play. He just told me his plan for the one shot is for him (the dm) to play a guy and for all the players to play a girl and try to win the guy’s affections - a concept he apparently got from anime. I’m the only guy other than him. I told him that wasn’t really DND at all. There are no stat blocks, no spells, no combat, no life or death, do-or-die missions, no classes, no races, nothing that makes up the game of DND. The only thing that makes it close is that it’s technically an RPG.

I told him that I no longer wanted to participate (I guess I’m the only one that doesn’t) (I essentially told him that’s not the game I agreed to play and that I really don’t think it would be fun for me). I told him he can still host the game at my house if he wants (especially since he has no other house to host it at), but he’s really upset with me because I “changed my mind” and won’t participate and says it’ll ruin everyone else’s time.

It should be noted that he’s gay so, even though I think the game is pretty weird, he’s not trying to play this just to get the girls in the group to hit on him.

I really don’t feel like I’m the rear end in a top hat but I thought I’d get some more opinions on whether I’m right or I should just suck it up.

Oh honey, I have some news for you: He very clearly wanted to flirt with a specific someone at the game.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
The spicy bang of the brake check is fun and all, but it doesn't come close to the smooth savory hit of slowly getting your speed down to single digits while the rear end in a top hat behind you gets so fixated on raging out that they forget they could just drive around your near-stationary car.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

The spicy bang of the brake check is fun and all, but it doesn't come close to the smooth savory hit of slowly getting your speed down to single digits while the rear end in a top hat behind you gets so fixated on raging out that they forget they could just drive around your near-stationary car.

This is what I do if someone is tailgating me really, really closely. It's not safe to continue driving at this speed but it's also not safe to brake, so I lift my foot off the accelerator and slowly coast down.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
"then asks me in English if I spoke Mandarin"

Hmm

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

This is what I do if someone is tailgating me really, really closely. It's not safe to continue driving at this speed but it's also not safe to brake, so I lift my foot off the accelerator and slowly coast down.

But what if your slow, slight reduction in speed causes them to swerve off the road and into a stack of cheeto bags and mountain dew? Bet you didn't consider that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A professor at my university was getting tailgated pretty hard on a one lane road but just kept driving about 5 over the limit. Eventually after like 10 minutes of this dude tailgating him and slamming his horn he drives over onto the dirt, roars up, and drives away. My professor thinks, oh good done with that guy. Well sure enough a minute or two later he sees the tailgater has pulled across the road to block it. Professor comes to a stop and the guy hops out with a plank of wood and starts rushing the professors car when the professor pulls a gun (louisiana baby). Plank of wood guy sees it, backs off, and then hops in his car and roars off as fast as he can.

No one in his class ever thinks the professor did the right thing leaving the tailgater alive.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

A professor at my university was getting tailgated pretty hard on a one lane road but just kept driving about 5 over the limit. Eventually after like 10 minutes of this dude tailgating him and slamming his horn he drives over onto the dirt, roars up, and drives away. My professor thinks, oh good done with that guy. Well sure enough a minute or two later he sees the tailgater has pulled across the road to block it. Professor comes to a stop and the guy hops out with a plank of wood and starts rushing the professors car when the professor pulls a gun (louisiana baby). Plank of wood guy sees it, backs off, and then hops in his car and roars off as fast as he can.

No one in his class ever thinks the professor did the right thing leaving the tailgater alive.

This is terrifying. But also I feel like you could run the guy over and call it self defense in this scenario.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dazerbeams posted:

This is terrifying. But also I feel like you could run the guy over and call it self defense in this scenario.

Depends on where you are and the exact geography. Generally you can only use lethal force when the other person is credibly threatening your life, which is constantly variable. Even an unarmed person can be shot if they're sufficiently strong to present a credible threat and there's no way to flee them, but in this case you might end up with the prosecution asking why you didn't throw your car in reverse or drive around the truck.

This is actually where Stand Your Ground laws come in. Without that law, you can only use lethal force if you have no reasonable ability to escape.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
And yeah the jury is going to be like "why didn't they just put it in reverse and leave"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The fact the guy set up a goddamn ambush might get you some room to argue that you were concerned about something blocking the other way out.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I live in PA which follows castle doctrine. Apparently my car is my castle and I would be under no obligation to flee my castle if I were to be threatened. Open and shut case.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The fact the guy set up a goddamn ambush might get you some room to argue that you were concerned about something blocking the other way out.

The other way out being the direction you literally just came from, the one that definitely wasn't blocked

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Road barricade guy is an idiot. Did he learn nothing from Wacky Races? When you're ahead you don't waste time setting up stupid traps that blow up in your face, you gun it. That's why Snidely and Muttley never won a race.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dazerbeams posted:

I live in PA which follows castle doctrine. Apparently my car is my castle and I would be under no obligation to flee my castle if I were to be threatened. Open and shut case.

I feel like castle doctrine should necessitate using castle weapons, so your attorney would have to argue that an automatic pistol is actually just a very small cannon

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

QuarkJets posted:

I feel like castle doctrine should necessitate using castle weapons, so your attorney would have to argue that an automatic pistol is actually just a very small cannon

:bahgawd: da gubmint can take mah ballista from my cold, dead hands

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It is always legal to defend yourself with a horse and lance, or a crossbow if you're a coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm gay for the trebuchet