Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

watho posted:

Oh yeah mods make the staff of regrowth ez pz to get but I tried to keep my advice strictly vanilla since dumb lowtax is in mobile

I'm not sure why I would even want a mod removes all incentive to explore, turning this from a fun exploration game into a tedious shopping experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's more that it defrays terraria's number one irritating thing, the need to make multiple worlds when certain items don't generate for you

like there's only so many sky and ocean chests you're gonna get

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I remember a map where the Cobalt shield and Lucky Horseshoe never dropped and I was like... Well RIP me I loving guess.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I thought the flying island chests were guaranteed to have at least one balloon, starfury, and lucky horseshoe per world.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Mzbundifund posted:

I thought the flying island chests were guaranteed to have at least one balloon, starfury, and lucky horseshoe per world.

Mind you this was many, many years ago.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

They'll try but small worlds can generate with only 2 floating islands.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I'm not sure why I would even want a mod removes all incentive to explore, turning this from a fun exploration game into a tedious shopping experience

This would be more valid if every item was guaranteed to spawn, sometimes you just end up with several living wood wands

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Mzbundifund posted:

What about sky crates as an infinite source for all those?

And don't ocean chests basically duplicate what's found in water chests?

I'd be more worried about a map not having Pyramid accessories.

Dungeons missing stuff maybe, but that was more likely to happen to dungeons on the extremely "tiny" worlds no longer available on Mobile.

Qylvaran posted:

You'll get seeds from non-blooming plants if you plant on dirt, but in a planter box or pot, you get the feature of only harvesting blooming plants (and harvesting extra seeds/flowers). For maximum benefit, plant most stuff in planters, but firebloom and deathweed in dirt.

I haven't tried growing fireblossom or deathweed yet, but just to be clear, planting them into dirt won't work, right? For fireblossom don't you need ash, and for deathweed don't those need to go in evil grass blocks?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I haven't tried growing fireblossom or deathweed yet, but just to be clear, planting them into dirt won't work, right? For fireblossom don't you need ash, and for deathweed don't those need to go in evil grass blocks?

Good point. I always use planter boxes for everything. I'm afraid I pulled that last sentence out of my rear end. It seemed smart at the time.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

What about sky crates as an infinite source for all those?

And don't ocean chests basically duplicate what's found in water chests?

Biome crates were a relatively late addition. I don't think most veterans account for them, especially since they are even rarer than most crates and don't even always have a chest item.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Yeah it’s usually quicker to generate new worlds and ransack their floating islands than it is to get the sky crates

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

And if you're relying on biome crates you're already grinding for drops anyway.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I think it's Reduced Grinding that adds a bunch of biome lockboxes to the relevant enemies.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Plant everything in planter boxes, all five or six or whatever varieties of herbs. Don't do a mix and match thing where you use dirt and ash, and unless mobile is significantly behind, you won't need to immerse the planters in lava or water for their respective plants. Planter boxes are seriously set it and forget it.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Yeah learning how easy they are is what made me finally start farming. I even got a bunch of deathweed seeds out of this array of them earlier. Must have been a full moon.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I never knew about the removal of lava/water requirement for the two related flowers which is amazing.

Looking for those 3-4 pixels sticking up out of the lava that separated a blooming from a non-blooming fire blossom was kind of BS. Also a pool of lava in the base made some construction work complicated later on.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I havent played this since starbound came out which is rear end on my current comp how is this nowadays

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

good

unlike starbound, which is bad

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Patware posted:

good

unlike starbound, which is bad

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I don't consider user ratings to be sacrosanct, but given how Starbound really turned it around in that regard and its recent user ratings are extraordinary, I'm going to say that the disdain here is either a) a product of earlier, very lovely periods of development and/or b) childish spite

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't consider user ratings to be sacrosanct, but given how Starbound really turned it around in that regard and its recent user ratings are extraordinary, I'm going to say that the disdain here is either a) a product of earlier, very lovely periods of development and/or b) childish spite

How about you take the time to do your homework, and read the Starbound thread, to find out it always has been and always will be a lovely scam that abused its employees viciously to prop up the psychotic ego of its head developer. "Its recent user ratings are extraordinary" is some real consumer-slave garbage to vomit out in a post.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

Nothing childish to hold a grudge against what was basically vaporware for years. Many of the initial features that were used to pull in attention were just completely ditched as they were too hard to actually implement.
What we got was a bad to sub-par game for years which eventually became something half way decent but no-where close to as good as Terraria was at launch.

I usually download Starbound once a year and check out what happened to it. Still not impressed, though it's about time to look at it again.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
People exaggerate a bit, but Starbound was massively disappointing in that every time there was something that was accidentally fun, Tyi removed from the game, and Chucklefish treated its developers like crap, and the modding scene is now dominated by an rear end in a top hat who's possibly even worse as a person than Tyi.

The premise of "Terraria in Space" is sound, the graphics are nice, the music is good, it is easy to mod, so it has good points for it. It's just that the balance is terrible and the different minigames are just piled upon each others with no regard for coherence instead of building upon each others.

E.g. Starbound has combat mechs you can pilot, and that's awesome! Except that there's some "energy" mechanism that causes mechs to last like 15 seconds after which they explode. Some enemies will drop energy pickups, so you can keep on piloting your mech as long as you blast them; but none of these enemies will be encountered on planets. Essentially, the mech piloting becomes a totally distinct and separate game from the Space Terraria game, because they've made sure you can't meaningfully use your mech on planets. So the mech is restricted to space missions where you blast robots until you can raid an enemy ship in the hope of getting blueprints for a new mech part so that after grinding hundreds of enemy starships maybe you can actually upgrade your mech to get a better one, but by the time you've done that you'll realize that you've got no reason to upgrade your mech because you've been able to grind hundreds of missions just fine with your starter mech.

And who's bright idea was it to deem that bipedal vehicles were meant to be used in space and not in planets? Why do they even have legs if they're meant to be spaceships?

Terraria isn't a game that's scared of letting the player progress. You start as a sort of Robinson struggling to build a shelter from dirt and trees while fending off an army of zombies, you end as a demigod flying around at high speed while wielding absurdly overpowered weapons. Throughout the game progression, you increase your mobility and combat abilities by upgrading your equipment. Starbound... doesn't do that. Your equipment upgrades are there to give you bigger numbers so that you can fight off the enemies's bigger numbers, and that's about it. The EPP upgrades aren't for mobility, they're just for allowing you to go to more dangerous environments, where you'll move and act normally. The only mobility upgrades you get, besides buff potions, are from the "tech" quests you can do on the outpost, but once you have Spike Sphere and Multi Jump, there's no need to ever revisit it. In other words, by the time you reach the middle stage of the game, you're as good as you'll get to be; there's no point going for late game.

It's not like Terraria is devoid of mindless grinding (loving metal detector) and unrewarding minigames (fishing quests anyone?) but the bulk of the game is much more cohesive and integrated, which makes it more fun. The building, exploring, and fighting parts all work together instead of being at cross-purposes.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

And despite being "easy to mod" a lot of stuff is just not exposed to the mod stuff, so you can't change this stuff. It's not as easy to make mods in Terraria but you can do a lot more, since it's done by decompiling the game, and the mod loader makes it nearly as easy to get and install mods as the steam workshop for Starbound does these days.

I think there's at least one example of Starbound removing a detail, and making it so you couldn't mod the part of the game the detail was from anymore so people couldn't just mod it back, but I cant' remember what off the top of my head.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zereth posted:

I think there's at least one example of Starbound removing a detail, and making it so you couldn't mod the part of the game the detail was from anymore so people couldn't just mod it back, but I cant' remember what off the top of my head.

The size of the matter manipulator thingy. The property was exposed, so people modded in the ability to dig/build by huge squares of like 30x30 tiles at once, Chucklefish immediately reacted by removing the property so that it couldn't be modded anymore.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

The size of the matter manipulator thingy. The property was exposed, so people modded in the ability to dig/build by huge squares of like 30x30 tiles at once, Chucklefish immediately reacted by removing the property so that it couldn't be modded anymore.
:hmmyes: Yeah, things like this.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Cat Mattress posted:

The premise of "Terraria in Space" is sound, the graphics are nice, the music is good, it is easy to mod, so it has good points for it. It's just that the balance is terrible and the different minigames are just piled upon each others with no regard for coherence instead of building upon each others.

E.g. Starbound has combat mechs you can pilot, and that's awesome! Except that there's some "energy" mechanism that causes mechs to last like 15 seconds after which they explode. Some enemies will drop energy pickups, so you can keep on piloting your mech as long as you blast them; but none of these enemies will be encountered on planets. Essentially, the mech piloting becomes a totally distinct and separate game from the Space Terraria game, because they've made sure you can't meaningfully use your mech on planets.
Played Starbound last year and this is definitely what stood out to me. There are so many features in the game, like recruiting a spaceship crew, expanding your base, building colonies and settlements, housing citizens and collecting rent, capturing/cataloguing/battling monsters like Pokémon, space mech battles, farming and cooking, and on and on. The problem is, none of these systems seem to be connected pretty much in any way. They're so totally separate and don't support each other in any significant way. If you're building up a little space village to host villagers, the costs and rewards are pretty much self contained within that whole "minigame". The rewards are so meager and the interaction is so separate that it doesn't tie into the main game basically at all. You can fish, but there's basically no point to it other than making more fishing easy down the line. Mechs are good for mech missions, but don't have any impact outside those. What's the point of anything then? Why do any of these side missions if they don't change anything?
The lack of player improvement is a big one, too. Like you said, in Terraria, it's not like the numbers just get bigger as the game goes on. The best late-game ranger weapon is not just the blowpipe or the wooden bow but with more damage. Your mobility options are greatly enhanced, you're speedier, more capable, and have more tools at your disposal. In Starbound, you just... don't.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Are there any good Terraria mods that make fishing or especially doing the Angler's quests less of a pain?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Are there any good Terraria mods that make fishing or especially doing the Angler's quests less of a pain?

Calamity puts in an early boss that drops all the fishing gear and is super easy. I just do that and ignore the angler entirely.

I'd skip that entirely if you didn't need the fishing stuff for the PDA.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

luiafk adds infinite-use fishing rods that don't need bait

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Cheat Sheet to give yourself the items because video game developers literally cannot make a fishing mini game that isn't a hellishly tedious mess that plays like getting my foot stomped on.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Theres a fishing overhaul mod I like, among all the other changes it has it adds fishing accessories or enchants that make your pole throw out like 10 hooks at the same time.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

NachtSieger posted:

Cheat Sheet to give yourself the items because video game developers literally cannot make a fishing mini game that isn't a hellishly tedious mess that plays like getting my foot stomped on.
:hmmyes:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I didn't think I would, but I am actually enjoying Terraria Overhaul. Pairs pretty well with Calamity, but I am going to miss the bug where I picked up the Minishark and it shot a million bullets per second while keeping you completely rooted in place for upwards of ten minutes.

Could have used that on the Brain of Cthulhu! :gonk:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Black August posted:

How about you take the time to do your homework, and read the Starbound thread, to find out it always has been and always will be a lovely scam that abused its employees viciously to prop up the psychotic ego of its head developer. "Its recent user ratings are extraordinary" is some real consumer-slave garbage to vomit out in a post.

people say thing bad? must mean thing actually good smug dog emoji

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

people say thing bad? must mean thing actually good smug dog emoji

I don't think it's completely that since he claims more or less "other people say it's good now"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I looked up the turnaround in reviews because I was curious if the devs actually did anything cool this time around, and I think it's just getting a concerted effort from maybe the official forums or discord to "review bomb" it with positive reviews in order to push the "recent reviews" to Overwhelmingly Positive. Last update of any note was back in June with their 1.4 update, and yet for some reason there have been over a thousand positive reviews since the first of the month, over a 100 a day in some cases, with most of them just reading "good game and fun"

So yeah what I'm saying is Starbound's good again boys, reinstalling now

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Reduced grinding removes the 1 fishing quest per day limit and calamity in addition to the boss drops has a super fishing accessory you can craft that combines a bunch of the fishing stuff but only takes one spot

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

removing the fishing quest daily limit is pretty much mandatory, almost nothing else in the games works like it and it feels so out of place.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

NachtSieger posted:

I dunno, Breath of the Wild lets you fish with explosives there's still ample tedium if you want to max out all your equipment, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Clark Nova posted:

I dunno, Breath of the Wild lets you fish with explosives there's still ample tedium if you want to max out all your equipment, though

I fish as Goddess Hylia intended, jumping off cliffs and slow mo air sniping fish with arrows because I am an easily amused child.