Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Runcible Cat posted:

Ice arrows are the easiest cheat for catching horses.

:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Noooooo! Dungeons are the shittiest parts of Zelda games! The Shrines were perfect!

Unless the dungeons are like Hyrule Castle and are just part of the world. That could be okay, I guess.

Yeah dungeons are those annoying things I am forced to do from time to time to get more tools so I can get back to the actual fun part of the game: exploring.

BotW didn't require you to do dungeons to explore, and that's why it's the best Zelda.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think the sweet spot for me would be dungeons integrated into the environment, Hyrule Castle style. I suppose that's similar to a metroidvania then, but I do like the freedom BOTW gives by just handing you runes up front. Perhaps optional items that are needed to solve the dungeon but only give optional goodies elsewhere? A hybrid of ALBW and the traditional system, basically. I guess that's sort of like the champion powers in BOTW, but give them before the dungeon rather than after and have the dungeon make use of it (maybe with alternate solutions if you have the correct other power). I know people generally dislike one and done items like that, but I think a compromise has to be made there to keep BOTW as open as it is.

Honestly BOTW has some of that structure already, for instance needing some way to protect against thunderstorms or craft certain resistance food. BOTW stuff is still gated by progression, it's just all the locks are fuzzy locks, not hard locks like a Metroid game or traditional dungeons.

E: But then I have Very Wrong Opinions and Skyward Sword is my second favorite after BOTW.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I think the sweet spot for me would be dungeons integrated into the environment, Hyrule Castle style. I suppose that's similar to a metroidvania then, but I do like the freedom BOTW gives by just handing you runes up front. Perhaps optional items that are needed to solve the dungeon but only give optional goodies elsewhere? A hybrid of ALBW and the traditional system, basically. I guess that's sort of like the champion powers in BOTW, but give them before the dungeon rather than after and have the dungeon make use of it (maybe with alternate solutions if you have the correct other power). I know people generally dislike one and done items like that, but I think a compromise has to be made there to keep BOTW as open as it is.

Honestly BOTW has some of that structure already, for instance needing some way to protect against thunderstorms or craft certain resistance food. BOTW stuff is still gated by progression, it's just all the locks are fuzzy locks, not hard locks like a Metroid game or traditional dungeons.

E: But then I have Very Wrong Opinions and Skyward Sword is my second favorite after BOTW.

SS had a bad overworld with flying, those popups you couldn't skip (unless you just marathoned the game without turning it off), and controls that just didn't click for some people (because winding up to swing registered as a swing). Outside those 3 things, I loved it (granted the latter 2 didn't really affect me). At this point TP is the only game in the entire series I'd consider bad, maybe Spirit Tracks too.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Normally dungeons are the highlight experience of playing Zelda for me, but I didn't really miss them in BotW since what I consider a dungeon has evolved after years of playing D&D.

But it also might be a bit of a relief, since I think I have hated Zelda dungeons since Twilight Princess. That game had some lame dungeons that you just rushed through and so many gimmicks that fail to live up to their one expectation outside of the dungeon you acquired them.

A double hookshot is neat, but ultimately changes nothing. A rod of controlling is inherently limited. The spinner failed to let you skate around Hyrule fields, the one thing it would be great at.

In A Link to the Past the hookshot can be used to pass over holes, the cape allows you to walk unharmed over spikes, the block from the rod of somaria is both a weapon and a tool that negates block puzzles.

They were what made playing dungeons fun and worth it, you got toys that actually made life easier.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Twilight Princess dungeons nailed atmosphere and were okay at best at everything else.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I would honestly be ok with a mechanic where you need to find a rune stone or whatever in each dungeon to activate a power or ability (some of which could just mimic equipment like the spinner), that would only work in the confines of that specific dungeon. Have a lot of really versatile stuff in the game like BotW, but for dungeons have really specific and dramatic gameplay changing powers and get weird with it without being hampered by needing to make them more versatile.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

And the easiest way to catch pigs in Wind Waker is to chase them into the ocean and pick them up once they're floating.

Zelda, the animal abuse simulation game!

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

botw2 should have 4-5 hyrule castle style dungeons with ~80 puzzle shrines littered throughout the world. that's my decree

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

romanowski posted:

botw2 should have 4-5 hyrule castle style dungeons with ~80 puzzle shrines littered throughout the world. that's my decree

Acceptable. Also add a baby mode difficulty in, but tie it to playing as Link, playable Zelda can be the badass tough mode.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Recettear but you're Beedle when

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Recettear but you're Beedle when

Have a Seasons/Ages-esque double release and also make Moonlighter where you play as Ravio.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Beedle's Bum Boat Rammers when

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A crafting game where you play as Groose constructing increasingly ridiculous cannons

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

A nontraditional MMO where you compete to attract the most players to your cannon minigame through your skilled voice and sound work irl

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

A nontraditional MMO where you compete to attract the most players to your cannon minigame through your skilled voice and sound work irl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNRqJHzPA2c

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BOT DETECTED

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Augus posted:

A crafting game where you play as Groose constructing increasingly ridiculous cannons

Rube Grooseberg's Cannon-o-Rama

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah dungeons are those annoying things I am forced to do from time to time to get more tools so I can get back to the actual fun part of the game: exploring.

BotW didn't require you to do dungeons to explore, and that's why it's the best Zelda.
Glad to see I'm not alone.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yo is there any cheat codes for BotW? I know, probably not, must this Master Dungeon thing is like, un-fun hard in a way nothing else in the game was. I know I could go into my old easy mode save and try it just for the heck of it, but If I could just give myself infinite hearts for like 2 floors I could save myself a lot of misery. This is a totally dope dungeon concept, but the master quest tuning feels like some floors they only checked if it was theoretically possible to beat, I would have to see the devs beat it to believe they ever did it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Rube Grooseberg's Cannon-o-Rama

Untitled Groose Game

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Chronojam posted:

Untitled Groose Game

:honk::vince:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Chronojam posted:

Untitled Groose Game

Zelda Megathread: Untitled Groose Game

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Khanstant posted:

Yo is there any cheat codes for BotW? I know, probably not, must this Master Dungeon thing is like, un-fun hard in a way nothing else in the game was. I know I could go into my old easy mode save and try it just for the heck of it, but If I could just give myself infinite hearts for like 2 floors I could save myself a lot of misery.

There are cheat codes if you run it on a PC using Cemu (which means you need a gaming PC), but not on the WiiU or Switch as far as I know, no.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Yo is there any cheat codes for BotW? I know, probably not, must this Master Dungeon thing is like, un-fun hard in a way nothing else in the game was. I know I could go into my old easy mode save and try it just for the heck of it, but If I could just give myself infinite hearts for like 2 floors I could save myself a lot of misery. This is a totally dope dungeon concept, but the master quest tuning feels like some floors they only checked if it was theoretically possible to beat, I would have to see the devs beat it to believe they ever did it.

I think there's a bunch of strategies and exploits for it online. Get good at parrying I guess?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
BotW 2 should have multiple Hyrule Castle style dungeons each carrying a dungeon item that isn't required (or maybe required only to reach specific story bosses) but functions as a fun method of transport, like dual clawshots that you can actually use anywhere, or a spinner that travels horizontally on any climbable surface. Pay Hestu Korok seeds to increase the travel time/distance of each item.

Shrine puzzles can stay but they should be seamless with the overworld and actually share the aesthetic of the locale they're found in.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
One of the strategies I thought was hilarious is to bomb trees down after you clear an area and save the wood. Once you're at one of the rooms where you can cook, you can cook the wood and get awful food that still restores a heart.

Or you can use the shield surf angled wall glitch to skip right to the last room and kill a cyclops with ball fondling.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

DelphiAegis posted:

One of the strategies I thought was hilarious is to bomb trees down after you clear an area and save the wood. Once you're at one of the rooms where you can cook, you can cook the wood and get awful food that still restores a heart.

Mmm, my two favorite meals: roasted wood and stewed rock salt

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
I think a cool idea for shrines would be some kind of interaction between them in a single province. They kind of touched on the idea with the dueling peaks (or whatever the two big mountains are called), but I think it will be cool to have the option of doing a few inter-connected Shrines in an area. Maybe when you finish them all something happens on the overworld.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Argue posted:

Shrine puzzles can stay but they should be seamless with the overworld and actually share the aesthetic of the locale they're found in.

those are korok puzzles and everyone hates them, except for me, whompst is profoundly Broken

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
The korok puzzles are fine but there should be more than like 5 different kinds repeated endlessly. I liked the ones with the balloons.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
BotW2 should have a big town full of people that are all living little stories and I get to be a part of them by wearing masks at them

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Bleck posted:

BotW2 should have a big town full of people that are all living little stories and I get to be a part of them by wearing masks at them

Yes, but also you have to build the town first. All the towns.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Clearly BOTW 2 is about making friends with the Subrosians in their sprawling subterranian city.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Just let me inhabit the discarded husks of dead characters again, Nintendo :arghfist:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

BoTW should bring the back the Majora's Mask mechanics

Link in a Gerudo Mask, hello

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

BoTW should bring the back the Majora's Mask mechanics

Link in a Gerudo Mask, hello

Link as Ganondorf.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Just let me inhabit the discarded husks of dead characters again, Nintendo :arghfist:

There is a discarded husk in the trailer, so who knows?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kassad posted:

There is a discarded husk in the trailer, so who knows?

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Link as Ganondorf.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Breath of the Wild 2 should, exist,