Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't consider user ratings to be sacrosanct, but given how Starbound really turned it around in that regard and its recent user ratings are extraordinary, I'm going to say that the disdain here is either a) a product of earlier, very lovely periods of development and/or b) childish spite

Vanilla Starbound is misery. Vanilla Starbound is like Samsara but enlightenment is when you uninstall the game.

Modded Starbound is better but it suffers from the same kind of bloat modded Minecraft does. Plus you have to deal with at least one reprehensible ballsack who's been stealing everyone else's work.

Terraria is still solid as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Terraria is a reincarnation into the life of a Deva. Charmed, and without the ravages and miseries of mortal life. Samsara may escape you, but in the meantime it'll be impossible amounts of fun for like, at most, 10 dollars ish.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Fair enough; I will tap out on this one. I can definitely see unscrupulous people making phony steam reviews to cover up incompetence. I played Starbound shortly after release and was really disappointed, while Terraria utterly stole (in a good way) many days of my life starting with v1.0. I suppose that, after so many years, I wanted there to be a happy ending where, in the end, the ugly duckling became a beautiful swan.

I never could get into Minecraft for a number of reasons... I prefer 2d to 3d, no real goal/progression like Terraria, losing all my gear on death, huge burden to find vital materials like diamonds etc. I realise that mods exist to address a lot of this, but it just doesn't seem worth it.

Clark Nova posted:

I dunno, Breath of the Wild lets you fish with explosives there's still ample tedium if you want to max out all your equipment, though

This is what finally made me stop playing. I just wanted to upgrade all of my Amiibo-linked cosmetic gear to make it respectable, and it involved the asinine grinding of fallen stars. I had a great time with BotW and wanted to do everything, but that was a bit of a sad note to end on. Now, when I try to go back and do some of the things that I missed, I can't remember where I left off or what to do next.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Babe Magnet posted:

I looked up the turnaround in reviews because I was curious if the devs actually did anything cool this time around, and I think it's just getting a concerted effort from maybe the official forums or discord to "review bomb" it with positive reviews in order to push the "recent reviews" to Overwhelmingly Positive. Last update of any note was back in June with their 1.4 update, and yet for some reason there have been over a thousand positive reviews since the first of the month, over a 100 a day in some cases, with most of them just reading "good game and fun"

So yeah what I'm saying is Starbound's good again boys, reinstalling now

That's loving bizarre. I'd ask if that breaks any kind of steam regulations, but getting valve to do jack poo poo about anything is an exercise in futility, so...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I Said No posted:

That's loving bizarre. I'd ask if that breaks any kind of steam regulations, but getting valve to do jack poo poo about anything is an exercise in futility, so...
The only seem to use the anti-review-bombing measure for negative reviews

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Zereth posted:

The only seem to use the anti-review-bombing measure for negative reviews

I foolishly assumed that only people who bought the game could leave reviews, and then only one per account per game; shows what I bloody know. One would almost think that Valve had a vested interesting in bigging up reviews in order to boost sales...

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

JustJeff88 posted:

I foolishly assumed that only people who bought the game could leave reviews, and then only one per account per game
Both of those points are true.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Has it been on sale recently? For all it’s flaws, Starbound makes a hell of a good impression in the first couple hours. Plenty of time for folks to mash the like button before the grind starts and they start to wonder if their mech will ever be useful or if they will ever find weapons as interesting as those in Terraria (never) or how to enable the minimap (there is none).

Full disclosure: I like building pretty sci-fi towns in Starbound. It’s good for that at least. Just a pity it doesn’t have the dynamism of Terraria with expanding biomes, invasions and world altering events.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I had fun with Starbound some years ago but broke the boss fights and the game in general completely by just spamming turrets.

I also had an underground garden where I grew some crops and at around 100 or so the crops created enough lag to break the game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

yeah someone in a discord I'm in brought up that Steam just had a big UI update and with part of that update came a little notice to give a review to a game you have a lot of time in that pops up when you're done playing it if you haven't already given it a review. As for why all the reviews are the same thing (except for a bunch which are pretty much lies such as "the devs care" and "frequent, meaningful content updates"), could just be people wanting to get rid of the message lol

Eschenique posted:

I had fun with Starbound some years ago but broke the boss fights and the game in general completely by just spamming turrets.

I also had an underground garden where I grew some crops and at around 100 or so the crops created enough lag to break the game.

all of the bosses are now closed off in their own arenas and I don't think you can build in them

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Babe Magnet posted:

all of the bosses are now closed off in their own arenas and I don't think you can build in them

I'm sorry to hear that because they were pretty unimpressive and making them dead quickly was preferable.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Vib Rib posted:

Well... huh... One would think that it would just be easier to make a better game than make up hundreds of BS reviews.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Has it been on sale recently? For all it’s flaws, Starbound makes a hell of a good impression in the first couple hours. Plenty of time for folks to mash the like button before the grind starts and they start to wonder if their mech will ever be useful or if they will ever find weapons as interesting as those in Terraria (never) or how to enable the minimap (there is none).

I see your point, but don't people also have the ability to edit reviews later?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Eschenique posted:

I'm sorry to hear that because they were pretty unimpressive and making them dead quickly was preferable.

if starbound can make a mechanic worse, it will

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

They're a different set of bosses and are more interesting than the old "summon wherever" ones

slightly more interesting i am damning with faint praise here

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I barely remember the bosses except the game asked me to build a radar to help me escape and so I did in the middle of my little town and a ship showed up and wrecked the whole place so thanks for that.

The next radar went up in a field of turrets and the spaceship was popped like a clay pigeon.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Of course on the other hand you can't do anything to make them any easier by, say, building things in this sandbox building game anymore either

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I remember visiting some planet that was a huge prison and also way over my level. I managed to kite and kill one enemy and I found a weapon that was a chair you used to hit people. It was way better than my current weapon but it was also really slow and really boring to use and I hated that I had to use it to keep going.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

JustJeff88 posted:

Well... huh... One would think that it would just be easier to make a better game than make up hundreds of BS reviews.

Not even close. Making a good game is unbelievably loving difficult. (Which is why giving money to Kickstarters/Early Access poo poo is setting it on fire, 99% of the time the Visionary Artist promising such amazing features has no idea how hard they will actually turn out to be to implement)

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I remember when someone showed how easy it was to fix Mass Effect Andromeda's visual/animation problems by photoshopping a screenshot of the PC and then giving her a more narrow face.

That's how easy people think game development is.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

Full disclosure: I like building pretty sci-fi towns in Starbound. It’s good for that at least. Just a pity it doesn’t have the dynamism of Terraria with expanding biomes, invasions and world altering events.

Upthread Starbound was described as a number grind where practically nothing substantial ever changed except getting bigger numbers to fight enemies with bigger numbers, which does not sound very good compared to Terraria, but still sounds like a game a lot of people would play and enjoy for a while. If they weren't aware of Terraria or gave it a pass on graphics they might think Starbound was actually good.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

except every now and then the numbers basically reset themselves so you never get to feel like you're progressing in the overall

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Patware posted:

except every now and then the numbers basically reset themselves so you never get to feel like you're progressing in the overall

Something something "Don't you know anything about SURVIVAL games!" something something "You just want things handed to you on a silver platter!"

Even in games with cool and good robot suits, people will still talk poo poo if you ask for literally a sharp wooden stick to tide you over between "Knife" and "Bullshit sci-fi tech" The treadmill experience seems to be very important to people who play anything with "survival' as one of it's bullet-points. Even ones where it's an afterthought rather than it's primary genre.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I think some steps in progression feel better than others. Going from silver armor to shadow armor to bone armor and then hellstone. That's a fine progression with a varied experience.

However when you smash the first altar and the progression then becomes "Mine a ton of level 1 ore > Mine a ton of level 2 ore > mine a ton of level 3 ore. Things become kind of bullshit that these are even 3 different ores because they all exist in the same areas and are each as un-challenging to find. As if I was going to make a full set of armor and tools for each. Instead it becomes more about trying to remember which of them is which with spelunker on and just skipping 1 and 2 after making the proper pick/drill.

Then on to Hallowed to Chlorophyte is better but Chlorophyte to shroomite is less so because you're just arbitrarily mining the same stupid ore in the same area that you already beyond mastered.

Each upgrade should represent besting a new challenge by either visiting a new area with harder enemies or defeating bosses in that area where you got the last set. For example shroomite bars should be made with materials dropped from Plantera. Because asking you to farm Chlorophyte after defeating Plantera is a step down in challenge.

Or just make Plantera drop Chlorophyte ore. Those bars are always useful anyway.

Also demonite ore in the wild is such a joke because there's no chance you will ever be able to make something from those small veins before you can farm the related bosses.

Eschenique fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 17, 2019

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Isn't the point of demonite/crimtane in the wild more as seeds for biomes in hard mode and for a little bit of mystery for new early game players who don't know what this weird glowy indestructible ore is?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Nighthand posted:

Isn't the point of demonite/crimtane in the wild more as seeds for biomes in hard mode and for a little bit of mystery for new early game players who don't know what this weird glowy indestructible ore is?

Yup

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't consider user ratings to be sacrosanct, but given how Starbound really turned it around in that regard and its recent user ratings are extraordinary, I'm going to say that the disdain here is either a) a product of earlier, very lovely periods of development and/or b) childish spite

Tiy is a poo poo garbage person, and abandoned a puppy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nighthand posted:

oh, gently caress

why has this never occurred to me before

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Eschenique posted:

I think some steps in progression feel better than others. Going from silver armor to shadow armor to bone armor and then hellstone. That's a fine progression with a varied experience.

However when you smash the first altar and the progression then becomes "Mine a ton of level 1 ore > Mine a ton of level 2 ore > mine a ton of level 3 ore. Things become kind of bullshit that these are even 3 different ores because they all exist in the same areas and are each as un-challenging to find. As if I was going to make a full set of armor and tools for each. Instead it becomes more about trying to remember which of them is which with spelunker on and just skipping 1 and 2 after making the proper pick/drill.

Then on to Hallowed to Chlorophyte is better but Chlorophyte to shroomite is less so because you're just arbitrarily mining the same stupid ore in the same area that you already beyond mastered.

Each upgrade should represent besting a new challenge by either visiting a new area with harder enemies or defeating bosses in that area where you got the last set. For example shroomite bars should be made with materials dropped from Plantera. Because asking you to farm Chlorophyte after defeating Plantera is a step down in challenge.

Or just make Plantera drop Chlorophyte ore. Those bars are always useful anyway.

Also demonite ore in the wild is such a joke because there's no chance you will ever be able to make something from those small veins before you can farm the related bosses.

I mostly agree except for chlorophyte to shroomite, I have literally never crafted chlorophyte tools or armor. I just go from hallowed to the post-plantera stuff.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Nighthand posted:

I'll grant you the second point but they predate hard mode by quite a while.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Eschenique posted:

Shroomite is only for ranged weapons, I think? Otherwise you want to look into like, specter for magic or something else for melee.

Hell I think it's only ranged weapons but not arrows, it's got sets for like bullets and rockets and poo poo but not bows.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

Shroomite is only for ranged weapons, I think? Otherwise you want to look into like, specter for magic or something else for melee.

Hell I think it's only ranged weapons but not arrows, it's got sets for like bullets and rockets and poo poo but not bows.

Shroomite Headgear says hi. Weapons that use any ammo besides arrows, bullets and rockets need not apply, though they only lose the 15% damage bonus.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

Shroomite Headgear says hi. Weapons that use any ammo besides arrows, bullets and rockets need not apply, though they only lose the 15% damage bonus.
I was wrong, then.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

The point is more that the game wants you to mine 2 sets of Chlorophyte gear without any change in gameplay or difficulty.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It doesn't really expect you do to anything. The regular chlorophyte set is more of a sidegrade and you can skip chlorophyte entirely til after plantera.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If anything they expect you to realize chlorophyte is a renewable resource and start farming it for making bullets and such.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Frost Armor -> kitbash of Turtle Scale Mail + Chlorophyte Mask + Hallowed Greaves is the true Hardmode armor progression.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'm still so mad that accidentally crafted chlorophyte armor can't be crafted into the turtle equivalents by using up a shell, yet Beetle armor DOES work that way

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Yeah but beetle armor is a direct upgrade of shell armor so it makes some sense, also shell armor is accessible pre-plantera iirc

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Potential BFF posted:

Frost Armor -> kitbash of Turtle Scale Mail + Chlorophyte Mask + Hallowed Greaves is the true Hardmode armor progression.

Molten armor- forbidden armor -post moonlord armor. Save a bunch of fishing crates from prehardmode, open them all at once hope to get enough adamantime, go to desert during sandstorm and set until moonlord.

Valtonen fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
There's no way I'm fishing up that many crates ever.