Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Chris James 2 posted:

https://theathletic.com/1381809/201...rts-at-the-top/

TL;DR or TE;CS (Too Expensive; Can't Subscribe), former Browns' GM Michael Lombardi is the latest ex-Browns employee to comment in the aftermath of the Thursday night incident, and while all of them have been correct so far in their disgust, Lombardi feels the most correct in that he argues that between 1) the HC tolerating and/or endorsing poor behavior until it's too late to undo the damage it causes, 2) the GM not caring about character as long as it doesn't affect someone's talent (thinking eventually the good behavior will come), and (imo most importantly) 3) the owner being the owner, in addition to the bolded point:

Top to bottom the current Cleveland Browns are hosed. Because of the latter being present for a while now, it's been apparent internally pre-2019. And it's not getting fixed easily/with one or two firings, just like it wasn't when Hue was gone

Nice humblebrag about riding Belichek's coattails, but this is probably more true than not.

Remember how hyped we all were for Freddie like six months ago? Or were we just hyped for his name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

C-Euro posted:

Remember how hyped we all were for Freddie like six months ago? Or were we just hyped for his name?

Bob Wylie (the hilariously fat OL coach) said Ken Zampese was actually the guy who made Baker good last year. And hell, I'm willing to believe it at this point despite him being Ken Zampese.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Grittybeard posted:

Bob Wylie (the hilariously fat OL coach) said Ken Zampese was actually the guy who made Baker good last year. And hell, I'm willing to believe it at this point despite him being Ken Zampese.

Sounds like head coach material to me!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Mike Lombardi thinks he won those rings lol.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Nice humblebrag about riding Belichek's coattails, but this is probably more true than not.

It’s like if Jim Bob Cooter were handed a head coaching gig.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

For the most part people wanted to believe two things: 1) Baker was smart or at least right with who he wanted to fight to keep around/in charge, and 2) things could only go up from Hue

I bought the lies because I wanted things to finally feel competitive from all sides in this division for the first time in ages. Then this happened, the other Ohio team decided to collapse just as quick, and Ben finally turned to dust, all at the same time. Oops

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

C-Euro posted:

Nice humblebrag about riding Belichek's coattails

That's Lombardi's shtick.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

For the most part people wanted to believe two things: 1) Baker was smart or at least right with who he wanted to fight to keep around/in charge, and 2) things could only go up from Hue

I bought the lies because I wanted things to finally feel competitive from all sides in this division for the first time in ages. Then this happened, the other Ohio team decided to collapse just as quick, and Ben finally turned to dust, all at the same time. Oops
I genuinely believe that next year the AFCN is going to be pretty sick. Ravens are #1 with a bullet but Steelers D can be great with their big idiot QB, Browns can be great with an actual coach (probably?), and Bengals will have a rookie QB that's good. Let's get it, AFCN is the best division gently caress the NFCE.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
To be fair, Freddie has more wins in ten games than Hue did in forty, so he’s already a massive improvement.

Of course, that means instead of garbage they’re merely bad, but details!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Lombardi may be a brown-nosing tool but nothing he said was wrong

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The browns are going to go into their super soft back half schedule and come out 8-8 or 9-7 and browns fans will still be mad

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

When are we getting our next Benne update, or is it still too early in the season to meaningfully evaluate this stuff? Especially after Quinn somehow survived his bye week.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Benne posted:

Lombardi may be a brown-nosing tool but nothing he said was wrong

Yeah, it's like Vontaze Burflict calling Goodell an incompetent bitch.

He's a bad messenger, but he would know, and is correct.

Nov 6, 2002

Sticking with Kitchens because Baker liked him was always dumb. He was a rookie QB, what the hell does he know? Not loving much, especially when it comes to knowing how to run an NFL team.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

SKULL.GIF posted:

When are we getting our next Benne update, or is it still too early in the season to meaningfully evaluate this stuff? Especially after Quinn somehow survived his bye week.

Week 13 is best time for a big update. 3/4ths way thru season

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

SKULL.GIF posted:

I kept putting it off waiting for Quinn to get fired but that's probably not happening until Black Monday, so I'll have a new one out next week.

Vulgarian
Oct 2, 2011

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Sticking with Kitchens because Baker liked him was always dumb. He was a rookie QB, what the hell does he know? Not loving much, especially when it comes to knowing how to run an NFL team.

It's impressive in a way, that Haslam repeated the same mistake he made with Manziel, just with the nouns changed out.

If Kitchens gets let go, after an 8-8, 9-7 season, do you really think any decent coach would take the dice roll that is Cleveland?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKERS HERE'S A LATE-NIGHT UPDATE BEFORE THE GAMES. I'M SURE MUCH OF THIS WON'T BE INSTANTLY DATED.

WEEK 11 RANKINGS

COOL

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills
John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
Bill O'Brien, Houston Texans
Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
Frank Reich, Indianapolis Colts
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
Anthony Lynn, Los Angeles Chargers
Jon Gruden, Oakland Raiders
Doug Pederson, Philadelphia Eagles
Mike Zimmer, Minnesota Vikings
Matt Patricia, Detroit Lions
Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints
Ron Rivera, Carolina Panthers
Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers
Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams

I think Vrabel handled the Mariota situation about as well as he could, pulling the plug at the right time. And while Tannehill is still Tanny As gently caress, he has the Titans at .500 and hanging around the Wild Card picture, so Vrabel isn't nearly as hot as he could've been had he handled it differently. Ross is insistent that Lynn isn't in any danger and I'll take his word for it, but put a pin on the Chargers if they keep losing. Meanwhile, the ol' Gruden Grinder is reminding us that maybe he still knows what he's doing, and while I remain utterly unimpressed with Patricia, the Stafford injury gives him a viable mulligan.

FIRST-YEAR COACHES

Brian Flores, Miami Dolphins
Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals
Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers
Vic Fangio, Denver Broncos
Bruce Arians, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona Cardinals

If Bengals posters can show me literally one thing that Taylor has done well (draft position doesn't count), I'm all ears. Otherwise, he's been a complete nothingburger in an aggressively pointless season even by rebuilding standards. At least Flores has his guys playing hard and even starting to win games. Joe Flacco's Broncos career will probably end up being like that Grandpa Simpson GIF, but I still don't see any obvious signs of danger for Fangio other than John Elway's increasingly senile mind (which is admittedly a strong factor). Kliffy's college career was defined by going 5-7 every year while people keep claiming he's a genius, so I'm happy that he carried that tradition to the pros.

MILD

Doug Marrone, Jacksonville Jaguars -- Minshew Mania was fun, if a bit overblown. But even when he was playing well, it seemed obvious that the Jags were always going back to Foles and their big-money investment. With the team 4-5 and needing to stack wins in a hurry, we'll find out soon enough if it was the right call.

Pat Shurmur, New York Giants -- Putting in Daniel Jones was the right move at the right time, and it seems like people are mostly playing kid gloves with the Giants this year as he goes through his rookie struggles. But the team is still non-competitive most weeks, and John Mara's curt presser last week suggests that not all is well. I'm not ready to rank Shurmur higher than this, and it might still be aggressive for an organization that prides itself on its patience. But a year and a half in, Shurmur has done little to inspire confidence, looking every bit like the Browns castoff who got fired after two seasons for a reason.

Matt Nagy, Chicago Bears -- Will a coach get fired just one year after winning Coach of the Year? Probably not, but it's kinda stunning how fast Nagy burned through his goodwill. Mitchell Trubisky already looks like a lost cause, and Nagy has such little trust in his quarterback that the entire offense is broken as a result. They're just playing unwatchable football most weeks, pissing away a Super Bowl-caliber defense in the process. Maybe Nagy turns things around and re-discovers the spark that made him look like a hot up-and-comer not that long ago. Or maybe he'll end up being a one-year wonder. Either way, his Bears tenure is rapidly trending in the wrong direction.

MODERATE

Adam Gase, New York Jets -- You know your tenure is off to a great start when the owner has to give the Dreaded Vote of Confidence just 10 weeks in. And maybe Gase does make it to 2020, but his first year in New York has been disastrous in the exact same ways we predicted it would be. From alienating his best players for no good reason, to the bizarre PR debacle over Kelechi Osemele's injury, to Sam Darnold's alarming regression, Gase has done almost nothing right. And if the team continues being a shitshow, it wouldn't surprise me if Christopher Johnson goes back on his word.

Jason Garrett, Dallas Cowboys -- Yeah, I know. We've been down this road before with Jerry's favorite lap dog. But what makes this year feel different is that Garrett's contract expires after the season, and extension talks have been deathly silent despite the team gladly handing out sacks of cash to their core players over the past few months. As I mentioned in the original OP before the season, coaches hate being stuck on contract years because they don't want to look like lame ducks, yet that's the situation Garrett finds himself in. And it certainly doesn't help that the Cowboys squandered a 3-0 start and are now scrapping with the Eagles over the division lead. If they miss the playoffs, then the stars are perfectly aligned for a face-saving "mutually agreed to part ways," which would be an appropriately limp-dicked way for Garrett to go out.

SPICY HOT

Freddie Kitchens, Cleveland Browns -- You've seen the Myles Garrett fight a million times and are probably sick of the takes by now. I'm not going to dwell on that, other than point out that once again Kitchens has lost control of the plot. Obviously he's not the one who swung a helmet at Mason Rudolph, but the narrative going in was that his team is undisciplined and he's in over his head, and he's done nothing to change that perception. Even when the Browns win, they still lose, and now they have to rally from 4-6 without their best defensive player for the rest of the year. At this point, Kitchens is Jim Tomsula without any of the meme-worthy charm. He's a man without a plan, and possibly without a job soon enough.

Dan Quinn, Atlanta Falcons -- Arthur Blank showed way more restraint than I expected, keeping Quinn through the bye week and even getting a road upset win over their hated rivals. But make no mistake, Quinn is still a dead man walking. I'll be shocked if he doesn't already have his office cleaned out on the night before Black Monday.

YOU'RE FIRED

Jay Gruden, Washington (interim coach: Bill Callahan)

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 17, 2019

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Barring something miraculous this is probably Rivera's last season.

Panthers have one of the worst defenses in team history at the moment, a historically bad run defense, and I don't see Ron squeezing enough wins out of this schedule to stave off the inevitable. Things have grown stale.

I think Rivera actually makes a lot of sense in Cleveland. Just send him up there to right the ship for a few seasons. It would be the most boring, predictable, uninspiring football you can imagine and a huge waste of a lot of their tools, but you'd get 7-10 wins every year doing it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
How did Quinn turn into such a train wreck of a coach so fast?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Their one good season, the defense was incredibly healthy and they had the best offense in the NFL on the other side of the ball.

He's probably never been good.

Nov 6, 2002

sean10mm posted:

Sometimes a coach is just along for the ride to cost his team a Super Bowl.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Just look at how the offense dropped off the next year with the only change really being Shanahan was gone and Sark was in. It was night and day, even with almost entirely the same players. Subsequent years the offense has lost talent due to free agency and injuries. The defense has been shredded by injuries at times, and in general hasn’t ever played at the same level as the Super Bowl year.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

FizFashizzle posted:

Barring something miraculous this is probably Rivera's last season.

Panthers have one of the worst defenses in team history at the moment, a historically bad run defense, and I don't see Ron squeezing enough wins out of this schedule to stave off the inevitable. Things have grown stale.

I think Rivera actually makes a lot of sense in Cleveland. Just send him up there to right the ship for a few seasons. It would be the most boring, predictable, uninspiring football you can imagine and a huge waste of a lot of their tools, but you'd get 7-10 wins every year doing it.

You don't think Cam going down buys him any goodwill?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Probably Magic posted:

I don't know how much of a difference Cam would've made for this season.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

sean10mm posted:

He was a product of Kyle Shanahan calling the offense and coaxing Ryan's best season by miles. I know Shanahan gets a lot of grief for his playcalling in that SB (deservedly so), but the Falcons had a REALLY lovely, junky defense that year propped up by an unsustainable performance by a mediocre one dimensional pass rusher. Nobody the Falcons' have had running the offense since has been remotely as good and as noted above, they've lost talent and haven't really replenished it well since the SB season.

Quinn always sucked, basically.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Probably Magic posted:

No.

There's no point to keep Ron around now. Cam is likely gone. The defense is garbage.

Why keep Ron around to oversee the next phase? They're looking at a pretty big retooling.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I would say that a playoff berth would probably save Ron, but I don't think that's realistic when I look at the NFC playoff picture. Would have to agree that it's about time to more on from the Rivera era.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'd probably put Patricia at Mild even with the Stafford injury (which might now last until the end of the season) giving him a clear mulligan. His supposed specialty, the defense, has been plain bad ever since he showed up, and he tried and failed to play some sort of Belichekian 4D chess with keeping Stafford's back injury under wraps until the last possible moment. There's also the fate of GM Bob Quinn to consider, who hasn't done much of anything in the four years he's been here. If Martha Ford gets fed up and boots Quinn after this season, Patricia gets at best a lame duck 2020 season.

E:
https://twitter.com/TJLang70/status/1196166321354018818

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 18, 2019

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Is it better or worse for Dan Quinn if his team improves dramatically after he gives up on coaching the one thing he's supposed to be good at?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Lynn has had two winning seasons and this year they've lost a bunch of close games and had more injuries than normal.

If this continues next year then yeah, his seat will start getting hot

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

a neat cape posted:

Lynn has had two winning seasons and this year they've lost a bunch of close games and had more injuries than normal.

If this continues next year then yeah, his seat will start getting hot

Yes. There's absolutely no chance Lynn even has a hot seat right now because A) he's been legitimately good with what he's had in LA, and B): even if he wasn't, the Spanos family doesn't pay out to fired coaches with multiple years left on their deal. The last time they did that was probably Marty, though I don't recall his contract situation right now.

If the Chargers got rid of anybody else, it'd probably be Gus. I wouldn't be in favor, personally, but that'd probably be where they'd be heading if it were the case. And I don't think it is.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Is it better or worse for Dan Quinn if his team improves dramatically after he gives up on coaching the one thing he's supposed to be good at?

When he was DC at Seattle when they had that amazing secondary, apparently he wasnt calling defensive plays so yeah he's not very good.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

seiferguy posted:

When he was DC at Seattle when they had that amazing secondary, apparently he wasnt calling defensive plays so yeah he's not very good.

In the 1.5 games since Quinn gave up playcalling they have 9 sacks. They had 7 in their first 8 games in total when Quinn was coaching the defense. Including a 5 game stretch with none.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

FizFashizzle posted:

No.

There's no point to keep Ron around now. Cam is likely gone. The defense is garbage.

Why keep Ron around to oversee the next phase? They're looking at a pretty big retooling.

After that half, I see your point.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah so I was way too kind to Ron

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Right now I would believe Rivera gets fired before Quinn does, this game is so bad.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

2nd time in 4 games it doesn't look like the Panthers even prepared

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 17, 2019

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

In the 1.5 games since Quinn gave up playcalling they have 9 sacks. They had 7 in their first 8 games in total when Quinn was coaching the defense. Including a 5 game stretch with none.

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1196149359743815682

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

C-Euro posted:

There's also the fate of GM Bob Quinn to think about, who hasn't done much of anything in the four years he's been here. If Martha Ford gets fed up and boots Quinn after this season, Patricia gets at best a lame duck 2020 season.

I agree with Patricia at Mild, mostly because I think Quinn's seat is getting pretty warm right now. After forcing Quinn to keep Caldwell I can't see Ford making someone keep Patricia who hasn't even sniffed that level of success.