Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z5iJ7DXoYM

e: the 220 bus runs from Willesden Junction to Mapleton Crescent

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Scikar posted:

I have to admit I was starting to get a bit worried about the gap in the polls still persisting at this point. But then I saw that breakdown for one of them that had the raw poll result and their weightings, where Labour were ahead unweighted, but behind on the weighted score because they were predicting a record low turnout for 18-24 age bracket and a 95% turnout for 65+ in the middle of winter. It's right to be wary of dismissing polls just because the result is bad, but when their working literally doesn't add up it's right to challenge them.

Braggart posted:

Remember that we have had double the youth registrations to vote that we had for the last election, and also that everyone under about 50 is more likely to be voting Labour than Conservative.

There's your polling data.

Bardeh posted:

someone reweighted that Kantar poll with 2017 numbers:

https://twitter.com/runehol/status/1195865184293793793

If we assume, that due to the HUGE number of voters registering for this election, and that those voters are of course going to be weighted toward the younger end of the spectrum, then all of these polls (assuming they're using similarly batshit weighting) are extremely dubious

E: you can actually see the age groups of the voters registering here:

https://www.gov.uk/performance/register-to-vote/registrations-by-age-group

Predictably, it's massive numbers of under 34's :thunk:

jabby posted:

The issue is, just like with YouGov last time, the pollsters look at their raw data and then play with the weighting/turnout sliders seemingly based on achieving a result that looks right to them.

Turning a one point Labour lead from the raw data into a ten point Tory lead through weighting is just insane, it means you might as well forgo polling anyone in the first place and just base the whole result on your assumptions about turnout.
on the 15th i did an analysis of the kantar numbers in that poll. posters were reading the documents, but i'll include terrible images this time

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

a look at their detailed votes and a non-statistician's attempt at unskewing it according to their data (without touching their strange weighting assumptions i.e. admitted lab voter in 2017 isn't likely to vote lab now)

kantar's pr: https://uk.kantar.com/public-opinio...ho-to-vote-for/
kantar's detailed doc: http://www.kantar.com/public/download/documents/300/Kantar+poll+-+7-11+November+2019.pdf

numbers: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19BRuYQDh-FmIAOpLVYBIkWoz6Lo7ckuq7euyyVJuqOI/edit?usp=sharing

someone more experienced check my math and rationale, and yes there is an off by 1 on their weighted 65+ sample base. a glance through the background of the poll shows why you should never trust any polls
more thorough explanations:

^ this is kantar's raw data, i take the proportion of their weighted results per age group, compare it to the total. that's where the splits in the third section comes from - just a simple proportion of the weighted results. using that i flip the results back to their unweighted entries by taking the proportion of weight/unweighted responses, trivial

^but that's only removing their weightings, the turnout figures were the issue. so i went with the figures originally provided and did the above but for the turnout %. you can see where the 2017 turnout goes - or rather this is that random poster's turnout data. there isn't a proper authority for age groups in general elections and i couldn't find that poster's source, so...

^i grabbed the IPSOS' estimations for age bands so there was an actual source to point to, but i didn't think that was good enough and...

^i found out who parliament reference in their official documents for age bands in the 2017 general election. see: https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8060

now that's the kantar part, i also put together all of the voter registrations so far and explained it earlier:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

after some chat and suggestions i thread together a comparison of voter registration against age bands compared to 2017. there's some obvious caveats though
- given how messy the past 6 months have been this doesn't follow the registration pattern of a normal election (...nor did 2017...)
- i had originally aligned by royal assention date, but we have a week less in 2019 to register compared to 2017
- to fix this i've added an altered sheet and graphs for Shift, effectively work from the last day of registration backwards (originally i was going for 4 weeks before royal assention to capture people preparing, thus why it has 49 days of data)
sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19BRuYQDh-FmIAOpLVYBIkWoz6Lo7ckuq7euyyVJuqOI/edit?usp=sharing

i went with hardcoded formulas for the to date sections so i'll have to clean those up day-to-day, all data is from https://www.gov.uk/performance/register-to-vote/registrations-by-age-group

overall while voter registrations look better we are in a crunch period from having only 3 weeks from assention compared to 4 in 2017, so don't take the numbers at face value. there's also the issue of last day vote spikes and how pressure on registering to vote needs to happen this week

someone with a better data analysis background check my reasoning, this is just for a rough idea of the differences with data to back it up compared to a random twitter graph
here's a graph of voter registration to date excluding the last 10 days of 2017 (since we still have those pending)

and for the total registration for 2017 vs where we are now...

yeah polls are narrative devices, but removing their weights tells you about their polling demographic and the surrounding questions in the full documents are telling

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Thanks for this.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah the Queen can pick who she likes, but it's Parliament that's sovereign, so all picking PM doggo would do is guarantee a constitutional issue comes to a head where each new Parliament has a formal vote on the new PM.

If the Queen picks an English bulldog then Parliament will be too afraid of the tabloid rage to vote against it.

Doubly so if it's smoking a cigar.

Long live Prime Minister FashDog! His grrrr-ruff nature exemplifies the true British spirit! Naturally he leans conservative :britain:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

anytime someone says "i have a very strange medical condition" there's an 80% chance that person is a nonce

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

gh0stpinballa posted:

anytime someone says "i have a very strange medical condition" there's an 80% chance that person is a nonce

the words of a doctor friend is that the 'i don't sweat' condition is an actual thing, but it's the sort of illness that stops them leaving the house

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

gh0stpinballa posted:

Nah. There are a lot of uncommon/rare medical conditions out there, and quite a few people who have them. This seems like an ableist comment you're making, which I'm sure you don't want to be doing :)

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1196189907301158915
https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1196191567373066241
Looks like poo poo is getting pretty serious in Hong Kong.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Hungry posted:

Pheasants used to get into my garden constantly when I lived in the woods, and the cats would try to stalk them before realising those birds are a bit too big for them to take.

A neighbour's cat dragged in a pheasant once; killed but didn't try to eat it. Neighbours were vegetarian so they gave it to us. Only time I've enjoyed eating pheasant because I didn't have to keep an eye out for bits of shot.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Angrymog posted:

A neighbour's cat dragged in a pheasant once; killed but didn't try to eat it. Neighbours were vegetarian so they gave it to us. Only time I've enjoyed eating pheasant because I didn't have to keep an eye out for bits of shot.

yes but you're still meant to prep and cook it

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah the Queen can pick who she likes, but it's Parliament that's sovereign, so all picking PM doggo would do is guarantee a constitutional issue comes to a head where each new Parliament has a formal vote on the new PM.

I am perfectly prepared to believe the tories and libs would vote for a literal lap dog of the Queen as PM.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Ratjaculation posted:

yes but you're still meant to prep and cook it

What do you think we did with it? Or are you just being weird?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

So if the Queen picks a corgi and enough of Parliament say "gently caress it, let's roll with this poo poo (because we can distract from a lot of bad things we do by having a corgi bark into a podium on the news)" We'll have a Good Boy PM?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah polls are narrative devices, but removing their weights tells you about their polling demographic and the surrounding questions in the full documents are telling

Thanks, this is excellent! I'm still holding out for a political reporter somewhere to write up what they got wrong and why in 2017, as a precursor to their analysis for 2019. Without the first part, the second is worthless. But in the media bubble it's like 2017 never happened.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ratjaculation posted:

the words of a doctor friend is that the 'i don't sweat' condition is an actual thing, but it's the sort of illness that stops them leaving the house

If you sweat excessively you can have a symphatectomy which involves snipping parts of the nerve trunks lining the sides of your spine. Even when performed intentionally the effects are pretty imprecise and I wonder what sort of injury he sustained that somehow damaged both nerves flanking his spine but still left him with the ability to walk.

Also disconnecting your symphatetic nervous system (fight or flight response) also leads to various other interesting effects like loss of ejaculation, arousal etc etc ad nauseum.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Loss of ejaculation, arousal ad nauseum certainly described my understanding of prince andrew.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

RockyB posted:

I am perfectly prepared to believe the tories and libs would vote for a literal lap dog of the Queen as PM.

Remember when a bunch of fubpees seriously expected the queen to stop brexit?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
get the stilts out jezza

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1196195107361501186

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

njsykora posted:

Remember when a bunch of fubpees seriously expected the queen to stop brexit?

SHE WORE A BLUE HAT IT WAS A PERFECTLY REASONABLE CONCLUSION TO COME TO, OK

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Scikar posted:

Thanks, this is excellent! I'm still holding out for a political reporter somewhere to write up what they got wrong and why in 2017, as a precursor to their analysis for 2019. Without the first part, the second is worthless. But in the media bubble it's like 2017 never happened.
the current political commentator narrative is that the youthquake of 2017 was exaggerated (notably not that it didn't happen), and then they talk about 2019 as purely brexit and voter party swings on their eu vote

not that their isn't some weight to that, but leaning fully into a single policy general election is a recipe for embarrassment. then there's ignoring polls relative to the 2017 campaign, but that doesn't fit the narrative to discourage voters

winter is also dismissed because 1970s and coal strikes therefore winter can't be impactful. please ignore the strong incentives to vote at that moment and the change in society since

there's just over a week until voter registration closes - make it count and aim for postal votes to maximise turnout. this is the week it all matters (and the final day surge ofc)

labour manifesto is thursday and inc. broadband, water, mail and rail so far. push to register and change minds later

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

If you sweat excessively you can have a symphatectomy which involves snipping parts of the nerve trunks lining the sides of your spine. Even when performed intentionally the effects are pretty imprecise and I wonder what sort of injury he sustained that somehow damaged both nerves flanking his spine but still left him with the ability to walk.

Also disconnecting your symphatetic nervous system (fight or flight response) also leads to various other interesting effects like loss of ejaculation, arousal etc etc ad nauseum.

From my understanding he's not saying he was actually injured, just that he was shot at, and the resulting 'overdose of adrenaline' (his own adrenaline) rendered him unable to sweat.

Essentially, he got scared once and this caused him to become unable to sweat for a period of over 19 years, but which has since gone away.

It's absolute, 100%, gold-plated bollocks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1196049423303892992?s=19

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

From my understanding he's not saying he was actually injured, just that he was shot at, and the resulting 'overdose of adrenaline' (his own adrenaline) rendered him unable to sweat.

Essentially, he got scared once and this caused him to become unable to sweat for a period of over 19 years, but which has since gone away.

The funniest part is he thought it was a completely amazing, bulletproof defense. One, he couldn't sweat at all, so he couldn't possibly have been that sweaty man that did all the noncing, and Two, the reason he couldn't sweat because he's a War Hero :smug:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

So if the Queen picks a corgi and enough of Parliament say "gently caress it, let's roll with this poo poo (because we can distract from a lot of bad things we do by having a corgi bark into a podium on the news)" We'll have a Good Boy PM?
*5 minutes later* We regret to inform you that the dog is a dog nonce.

jabby posted:

What if the adrenaline that surged through his blood damaged the norepinephrine receptors in his brain that allow you to tell whether someone who has been charged with being a massive ped is one or not?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

on the 15th i did an analysis of the kantar numbers in that poll. posters were reading the documents, but i'll include terrible images this time

more thorough explanations:

This is a great post, cheers!

I get a bit frustrated by the thread's out-of-hand dismissal of all polling that doesn't give us the result we want, so it's nice to get some actual analysis.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

RockyB posted:

It's going to be a hell of a job telling the difference between a vote for Corbyn and a vote for Corgi. We might as well just assume that any ambiguous ballots were cast for Corgi.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't just dismiss polling that doesn't give you the result you want, dismiss all polling. Because what are you going to do? Not bother turning out if it looks likely to go your way or if it's too unlikely?

It only works if everyone acts as if their actions matter, frankly I think the world would be much improved if we just banned polling.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah cool, there's the politicization of public antisemitic abuse that I wanted.
:hotpickle:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bear in mind also that the way the polling companies make there money is by doing two polls: One for the public, and one much more accurate one which they sell to political parties, speculators etc. for large sums of money.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

1) Starting to getting a bit concerned that I haven't seen anything through the door from Labour so far. Had about five different flyers from the Libs, with the usual EU election bar chart. But nothing from Labour.

It's not a close seat so I guess it makes sense them not concentrating the fight here, and maybe they're concentrating their efforts on the Wantage side which is bigger. Plus, they have a great opportunity in the confusion of Vaisey not standing. But if they fail to fight at all then they're shooting themselves in the dick because then they're just creating more entrenched safe seats.

2) On the subject of polling and YouGov in particular, I bring you this clip from the episode of Dave Gorman I just watched in which he gives a fantastic demonstration of exactly how bollocks it is at about 10:20 in:

Full show:
http://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/shows/dave-gormans-modern-life-is-goodish/watch-online/5816030722001

Wish I could find that midfle section on YouTube or something, because it demonstrates perfectly why YouGov is politically bent, as well as utterly useless.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 18, 2019

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Niric posted:

This is a great post, cheers!

I get a bit frustrated by the thread's out-of-hand dismissal of all polling that doesn't give us the result we want, so it's nice to get some actual analysis.

There isn't a dismissal of polling that doesn't give us the result we want. When a poll comes up that looks good for us, the general response is "oh, that's nice to see, but probably still unreliable". It can be a morale booster, but definitely don't take it as gospel, even if you like the sound of it :)

Braggart fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 18, 2019

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

XMNN posted:

not sure if I'm being too cynical but I also thought it might be a bit of an own goal, making sure a bunch of octogenarians vote

The strong likelihood is that it would be, although of course you should consider the likely class of inhabitants as well. The silent generation were well to the right of boomers in every survey I've seen - it was the people old enough to have fought in the war who were leftwing, and they're nearly all dead now.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Braggart posted:

Nah. There are a lot of uncommon/rare medical conditions out there, and quite a few people who have them. This seems like an ableist comment you're making, which I'm sure you don't want to be doing :)

fair! i should have said, "anytime a member of the anglo-saxon aristocracy says..."

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Guavanaut posted:

*5 minutes later* We regret to inform you that the dog is a dog nonce.

But at least the excited yapping and crotch licking while answering at prime ministers questions is more intelligible than Boris.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Scikar posted:

The media class has completely huffed on their own farts and bought the 'Theresa' May lost the election' line and blamed all positive Labour gains on that .

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Rarity posted:

The media class has completely huffed on their own farts and bought the 'Theresa' May lost the election' line and blamed all positive Labour gains on that .

Good.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

My family’s still there (I’m on a work assignment in Brazil rn). They’ve been sending me pictures of the streets near our flat with bricks all over the place and roadblocks up that are vaguely reminiscent of footage of the blitz, with people going to work picking their way over heaps of masonry. Apparently some of the protestors have also started running protection rackets on local shops over which ones get trashed.

And the army garrison got involved yesterday. So far all they have done is clear away roadblocks but it’s got everyone jittery.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Bobstar posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure my gran (92? I think) votes Labour and voted Remain, unlike her boomer son (my uncle), who probably doesn't.

The difference between remembering the war and remembering there having been a war.

The people old enough to remember the War and especially the Depression were the core of the left vote in general until Millennials got old enough to vote in number, at least in most records I've seen of voting habits by age. Honestly wonder what it would have been like if more of them stuck around to vote with Millennials. Though I suppose if life expectancy increased like that, the boomers would then last longer too.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Bobby Deluxe posted:

1) Starting to getting a bit concerned that I haven't seen anything through the door from Labour so far. Had about five different flyers from the Libs, with the usual EU election bar chart. But nothing from Labour.

It's not a close seat so I guess it makes sense them not concentrating the fight here, and maybe they're concentrating their efforts on the Wantage side which is bigger. Plus, they have a great opportunity in the confusion of Vaisey not standing. But if they fail to fight at all then they're shooting themselves in the dick because then they're just creating more entrenched safe seats.

There is definitely prioritisation going on, and a lot of Labour safe seats are actually having trouble finding volunteers for local leaflet distribution because they're all out campaigning in marginals. I've only just received the first batch of letters to deliver to Labour supporters in my very safe seat, no leaflets for general distribution as yet. Plus a plea to let them know if I can do any extra rounds as they're short-handed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So now the other side of my mouth is also giving me wisdom tooth pain and even on cocodamol it's still really bad. I'm crying all the time and I don't know what to do.