Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

They need to be more repairable. It’s not like the backside is visible in 99.9999% of use cases and even then Apple could make a trap door look sexy.

The backside of the iMac is hugely visible, I see them almost exclusively used on desks in open offices where you can see the entire device.

Still dumb to get rid of that little door though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fats posted:

I'm disappointed that it no longer comes with the extension cord for the power brick.
You can at least still use the old one. And it's worth it since the end you plug into your Mac is detachable now.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Costco Canada has Apple computers now, but only in 128/256GB SKUs. :barf:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lazyhound posted:

Costco Canada has Apple computers now, but only in 128/256GB SKUs. :barf:

Costco US has way more options and SKUs on the website than they do in-store.

Also their Mac discounts aren’t anything to write home about but their iOS/Watch deals tend to be pretty great if you don’t mind occasionally more limited selection.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Left for vacation yesterday and my mid-2012 non-retina MBP started acting up, powering down when I took it off the charger, fully charged, to sleep in my bag. Powering it back on with AC power, the battery showed 0% charge, and was charging normally. The battery has been replaced and is reporting normal health with 63 cycles, and I've actually been able to run it normally on battery a couple of times, with it showing full charge after a reboot, so it is actually holding a charge.

My Mac instincts said to reset the SMC, but this Mac doesn't seem to give any indication that was successful (left ctrl-option-shift+power for 10 seconds) and that hasn't helped. Any thoughts?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Could also try a PRAM reset, also download Coconut Battery to see if proper voltage is being maintained by the power supply.

Failing that, you could take it in to Apple to have them run diagnostics on the whole shebang, as their diagnostics can determine if your battery and AC adapter are working properly.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Has anyone ever bought from expercom?

never used them before, but bought one of the 16" mbps thru them on release day for the ~$400 savings over buying direct from apple. it hasn't shipped yet, i'll post when it does. seems legit tho, they are a certified reseller and been around for a while

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

FCKGW posted:

The backside of the iMac is hugely visible, I see them almost exclusively used on desks in open offices where you can see the entire device.

Still dumb to get rid of that little door though.

Are we talking about the RAM trapdoor, because that thing still exists on the 2019 27” iMac

(it’s still far too difficult to do everything else to it, it’s criminal that you have to slice double sticky tape to get at the internal storage)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I love the trapdoor, and wish it was on the 21”.

I guess the difference sorta made sense when the 21” was dual core and the 27” quad. You probably wouldn’t be beefing up the RAM on a dual core machine the way you would/could with a quad core. But now it leaves the 6-core 21” out and nobody wants to spend Apple RAM money right off the bat if you can spend that money on a better machine and upgrade it later.

Was the door an olive branch to Pro users? Like “fine, you babies want upgradeability and tinker friendliness? Well here, you can do the RAM nyeeeeh”

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+16-Inch+2019+Teardown/128106

16" teardown

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Woof, there's an error in one of their statements.

They say that the Touch ID is locked to the logic board without much explanation.

If the logic board blows up, yes, you must get a new Touch ID, but the opposite is not true; you can replace the TouchID without changing for a new logic board.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Adorama is doing $200 off 16” MBP default configs with code APINSIDER and still not charging sales tax on sales outside NY/NJ.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/11/14/price-wars-heat-up-on-new-16-inch-macbook-pros-heres-where-to-save-the-most-money

These are down to $2,148 now

https://www.adorama.com/acmvvl2lla.html?sdtid=13579948&emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Was the door an olive branch to Pro users? Like “fine, you babies want upgradeability and tinker friendliness? Well here, you can do the RAM nyeeeeh”

Actually, the truly “pro” iMac users get shafted: the iMac Pro has no door. If you are fine with slicing tape and handling very expensive lcd panels that break if you mishandle them, etc, it’s easy enough to upgrade the Pro’s RAM - inside, it uses standard full size DIMM sockets.

So far as I can tell the likely reason for no door is just that it’s too difficult to introduce a door big enough (*) without profoundly changing the chassis design, which they probably didn’t want to do on the iMac Pro since it was by their own admission something of a rush job, a bone thrown to pro users who didn’t want to wait for the new tower and hadn’t seen a pro desktop Mac refresh since 2013.

* the Xeon cpus used in the iMac pro have four memory channels, two on either side, so the cpu socket has to sit between two groups of dimm sockets. Even if they’d used sodimms the door would need to be huge.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

BobHoward posted:

Actually, the truly “pro” iMac users get shafted: the iMac Pro has no door. If you are fine with slicing tape and handling very expensive lcd panels that break if you mishandle them, etc, it’s easy enough to upgrade the Pro’s RAM - inside, it uses standard full size DIMM sockets.

So far as I can tell the likely reason for no door is just that it’s too difficult to introduce a door big enough (*) without profoundly changing the chassis design, which they probably didn’t want to do on the iMac Pro since it was by their own admission something of a rush job, a bone thrown to pro users who didn’t want to wait for the new tower and hadn’t seen a pro desktop Mac refresh since 2013.

* the Xeon cpus used in the iMac pro have four memory channels, two on either side, so the cpu socket has to sit between two groups of dimm sockets. Even if they’d used sodimms the door would need to be huge.

Yeah but totally not impossible to just make a better chassis door or something else.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BobHoward posted:

Definitely a rush job as they didn't consider that having an unsightly hatch probably wouldn't matter to pros who just wanted to be able to upgrade their own RAM; as long as it works and runs fast. More of that 'design over functionality' philosophy remaining that's only going to sting them later.

It's also something of a delicate operation to remove the LCD even on a regular iMac; slicing through the VHB tape with what amounts to a tiny pizza wheel cutter isn't too complex, but when you lift the LCD assembly off the clamshell you have to be careful to detach two flat ribbon cables with delicate connectors before removing it for servicing, make a mistake and damage the connectors and you have to buy a new LCD display or logic board.

And to replace the VHB strips you have to carefully peel off what's left of them without accidentally removing the LCD coating and apply 99-100% alcohol pads to clean off any adhesive residue. If you don't clean off the residue well, worst case scenario you could have an angry customer come back with a big cracked LCD assembly dangling like a broken drawbridge from the bottom metal lip of the iMac.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I pulled the trigger on a 16". I went with the 2.3ghz 8-core, 32GB/ram, 1TB storage, and the 4GB 5500M. It won't ship for a while so I have time to make alterations. Any real reason to go up to 64GB, 2.4ghz, or the 8GB VRAM? All are pretty pricey upgrades in Canada.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

prom candy posted:

I pulled the trigger on a 16". I went with the 2.3ghz 8-core, 32GB/ram, 1TB storage, and the 4GB 5500M. It won't ship for a while so I have time to make alterations. Any real reason to go up to 64GB, 2.4ghz, or the 8GB VRAM? All are pretty pricey upgrades in Canada.
If you don't know you need them, no.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I must say I'd really prefer physical volume keys and not just Esc

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

prom candy posted:

I have a similar question, but 16 vs. 32 ram. I've been doing fine with 16 on my 2016 15" (I'm limited more by graphics and CPU), but for mostly video editing + Adobe apps does 32 make sense? The $400 upcharge for 32 feels steep, but if I keep the computer for a few years I feel like I'll probably want it?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Data Graham posted:

We're making incremental progress. 2028.. 2029 max.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think I'd need 32GB to feel confident enough in future proofing the machine if I were a content creator.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Create your own? I love my customized function keys on the home row.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gay Retard posted:

Create your own? I love my customized function keys on the home row.

I mean, great, but I don't want a soft button that discloses a slider that I have to look at in order to see what I'm doing. I want single-touch buttons for volume-up and volume-down (and mute). Can't get that with the customizable controls, unless I'm missing something.

Ideally they'd be physical so I can locate them with my fingertips when I have to quickly ramp the volume up and down for the prevailing conditions or whatever.

I know, we all want things

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 19, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Data Graham posted:

I mean, great, but I don't want a soft button that discloses a slider that I have to look at in order to see what I'm doing. I want single-touch buttons for volume-up and volume-down (and mute). Can't get that with the customizable controls, unless I'm missing something.

Ideally they'd be physical so I can locate them with my fingertips when I have to quickly ramp the volume up and down for the prevailing conditions or whatever.

I know, we all want things

Install Better Touch Tools. I have volume, screen brightness, and media players mapped to fn + Q/A/Z for volume, W/S/X for screen brightness, and E/D/C for keyboard illumination.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Crazy idea: Touch Bar or Physical Function Keys selectable as BTO options. Obviously, the Touch Bar will be the default and the physicals a £50 extra.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
They would sell 0 touch bars

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

prom candy posted:

They would sell 0 touch bars

Lol this.

Make the no touchbar 'Pro' version US$199 and people would pay for it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fedule posted:

Crazy idea: Touch Bar or Physical Function Keys selectable as BTO options. Obviously, the Touch Bar will be the default and the physicals a £50 extra.

Didn't the addition of the Touch Bar increase the base price of all MacBooks that had it by like $100 or so?

I'm toying with one now for the first time. I still need to look up tools and tricks about it, but preliminarily -- it sucks. I mean, having a progress slider for music/video is nice, but requiring an additional non-tactile input to control those things outside of their application is not.

enojy fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 19, 2019

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
that is the entire point of the touchbar. it raises the average sales price

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

enojy posted:

Didn't the addition of the Touch Bar increase the base price of all MacBooks that had it by like $100 or so?

I'm toying with one now for the first time. I still need to look up tools and tricks about it, but preliminarily -- it sucks. I mean, having a progress slider for music/video is nice, but requiring an additional non-tactile input to control those things outside of their application is not.

With GoldenChaos BTT installed, it's great for a quick glance at upcoming Reminders/Calendar Events/Notifications/Weather.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/tim_cook/status/1197141315064086530

So where's the pre-order page, Tim?

Holy poo poo, there they are! Brand new baby cheesegraters!

Is this supposed to be like that scene in the Pacific Rim prologue of jaegers being built in the factories?

This feels like the most transparent attitude towards a new product I've ever seen from Apple at least. Still scratching my head over the fact they didn't put in PCIe 4.0, but at least the next gen AMD cards that are 4.0 should run in it.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 20, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

This feels like the most transparent attitude towards a new product I've ever seen from Apple at least. Still scratching my head over the fact they didn't put in PCIe 4.0, but at least the next gen AMD cards that are 4.0 should run in it.

Plus, building the Mac Pro is a testament to American ingenuity.

:-/

It's not the loving Space Shuttle.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well you know who that tweet's aimed at.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Be Best

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Binary Badger posted:

Holy poo poo, there they are! Brand new baby cheesegraters!

Is this supposed to be like that scene in the Pacific Rim prologue of jaegers being built in the factories?

No Xeon chipsets support 4.0 yet, not until 2Q next year if we’re lucky.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bob Morales posted:

Pfft that thing is full of 8086 class chips, amateur hour.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

kefkafloyd posted:

No Xeon chipsets support 4.0 yet, not until 2Q next year if we’re lucky.

Oh, okay. loving Intel still at 10 nano technology anyway.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Oh, okay. loving Intel still at 10 nano technology anyway.

Intel 10nm is roughly the same generation as TSMC 7nm. The 'gate length' is just a marketing number at this point.

Also, there is no Intel 10nm in any Apple product, so that's irrelevant.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Bob Morales posted:

I think he was referring to how Apple was able to teach Texans how to build anything technical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Binary Badger posted:

If the logic board blows up, yes, you must get a new Touch ID, but the opposite is not true; you can replace the TouchID without changing for a new logic board.

Are you certain? My TouchID sensor barfed and they replaced both.