Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cinara posted:

AoS is massively more successful than WHFB was near the end and still growing at an incredible rate, I really don't see AoS going anywhere.

At the end, WHFB had a shadow the success of its previous editions. 8th edition was a slow-motion trainwreck of peak Kirby from the lovely Orc codex through the End Times.

There's no reason to think they'll End Times AoS though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

moths posted:

At the end, WHFB had a shadow the success of its previous editions. 8th edition was a slow-motion trainwreck of peak Kirby from the lovely Orc codex through the End Times.

There's no reason to think they'll End Times AoS though.

WFB was always a very very distant second to 40k. They seem to have made quite a lot of inroads with AoS (presumably helped by not having dogshit rules, and probably also by driving some of the worst idiots off to 9th age)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I think the fact theyre passing off The Old World to Forge World is proof they see it as a side project to gouge some greybeards and have no intent to replace AoS any time soon.

4e DnD was popular enough but really only on name recognition status alone, 3.5 was a goddamn juggernaut and from a beancounters standpoint I can understand trying to recapture the lost marketshare even if I personally preferred 4e.

AoS basically took 8th ed fantasy, a flagging franchise, drove it into the ground even harder but has since risen it beyond anything it had in the past. There is no intent here to squat AoS.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think the fact theyre passing off The Old World to Forge World is proof they see it as a side project to gouge some greybeards and have no intent to replace AoS any time soon.

They want to sell new models to Total Warhammer people.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lord_Hambrose posted:

On no they are going to do r.. r.. resin m.. models for a unit that only exists in a game that until a few days ago was consigned to oblivion. :qq:

They had no chance of existing, and now might get to exist in some form. It is a crime against gaming!

No need for hysteria, Lord Hambrose

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I think the weirdest thing about this is announcing it 3+ years in advance of it actually being a product in any way

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It's GW wanting to be more transparent in their design process I believe. The Sisters of Battle was the testing ground for that.
They might have bit off a bit too much in this case with how much bad blood still remains regarding End Times and probably should've had some more information ready before making the reveal itself to allay some worries.
And shut down most trolls proclaiming it to be the death of AoS.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think the fact theyre passing off The Old World to Forge World...

I don't thing they're doing this though? In their preview, it says, "a dedicated team in the Warhammer Studio"; if they meant Forgeworld, wouldn't they have said so specifically?

Solemn Sloth posted:

I think the weirdest thing about this is announcing it 3+ years in advance of it actually being a product in any way

I highly doubt this will be the case. 3+ years to a full rules release and full/almost full model refresh, okay, but we will see models that can slot right back into tOW (the whole new chaos warriors range, any more lizards or skaven that are due for a battle tome, any new cities of sigmar humans or dwafves) and will probably see some one-off heroes or generals like 40k had with Celestine and the named Sister Superior coming out well in advance of the upcoming SoB 40k release.

I bet this ends up like the new apocalypse more than anything else. They can seed the ground with drips and drabs of model releases mixed in with new AoS stuff, and then go big with a rulebook, regiment trays that you can drop round-based models into (ala that GoT model game), and a totally new Brettonia range or something. The target demographic will basically be collectors with whole armies ready to go and start using the new rules right away.

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 18, 2019

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

It would be extremely good if they adopted the idea of treating units as an indivisible block, rather than made up of individual models, and thus you can chuck all your round dudes on a movement base (I think it’s kings of war that does that?)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I feel the Sister Superior "release" (Convention exclusive thing in this case) was odd side thing with just how much people were anticipated the Sisters and GW wanted to earn some extra good will.

I mean we are going to see at least a year or two of design talk much like the Sisters bulletin with GW talking first the roots and then steadily talking about what they want to do with it with the new system.

This really is the inverse of how they usually did it. I mean 30k was obviously designed for several years before it was dropped in our lap under secrecy and only vaguest hints. Same with AoS. They have admitted before that product development usually takes at least 3 or 4 years.
The difference now is that they're fully willing to go "This is how we intend to go do things."

Solemn Sloth posted:

It would be extremely good if they adopted the idea of treating units as an indivisible block, rather than made up of individual models, and thus you can chuck all your round dudes on a movement base (I think it’s kings of war that does that?)

Readapting the Apocalypse rules for Old World would be a good idea I think to handle infantry blobs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Giving the old world to FW so they can harpoon whales over fifty gruelling years releasing all the basic material for each faction is smart GW business

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I don't thing they're doing this though? In their preview, it says, "a dedicated team in the Warhammer Studio"; if they meant Forgeworld, wouldn't they have said so specifically?

I am also confused about this Forgeworld connection. Is it because they compared the setting to the Horus Heresy?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Lasting Damage posted:

I am also confused about this Forgeworld connection. Is it because they compared the setting to the Horus Heresy?

Wasn’t the forgeworld guy the one announcing it?

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oh, was there like a stream or something? I only saw that blog post.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lasting Damage posted:

Oh, was there like a stream or something? I only saw that blog post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpnLjwOn5tg

There was also a teaser video.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Tony Cottrell, head of Forge World, was in the announcement video. If FW wasn't involved, he wouldn't have been there.

I'd say that it will probably run similar to the way HH runs now, in that you'll get a bunch of character models in resin, and there may be some plastic core unit boxes, possibly with resin upgrades. Who knows - GW might do Made to Order for armies too, using the old plastic molds.

They're sure as hell not going to squat AoS though. WFB is going to be a niche project for the community.

I'm happy WFB is coming back (though I do like where AoS is going as well) but I really wish there was more info. I'd like to know how units and basing works (will it be the same? will anything change?) so I can go back into working on my old armies.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 18, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I figure that 2-3 year development time is down to one of two things. They’re developing new models to launch with at least, 2-3 years is an average dev time for new sculpts. Or their planning to focus the HH team on the game after they finish sunsetting HH.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
Given the SOP with GW news is generally not knowing what is happening next month, getting an advance notice so early for ~something~ a couple of years away with almost zero info makes it seem like a legal move of some kind. Like the trademark on 'The Old World' would be gobbled up otherwise and they still want to keep that given the success of the Total War PC games. Warhammer TW has converted that player base so hard that every new TW is living under its shadow.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

RagnarokAngel posted:

4e DnD was popular enough but really only on name recognition status alone, 3.5 was a goddamn juggernaut and from a beancounters standpoint I can understand trying to recapture the lost marketshare even if I personally preferred 4e.

AoS basically took 8th ed fantasy, a flagging franchise, drove it into the ground even harder but has since risen it beyond anything it had in the past. There is no intent here to squat AoS.

This is a dumb argument because 4e sold more than 3.5 though. Every edition of D&D is the most popular edition, because it keeps becoming less niche and more marketable.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kore_Fero posted:

Warhammer TW has converted that player base so hard that every new TW is living under its shadow.

I hope Bonaparte gets a handgun that fires as artillery in TW: Napoleon 2

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The Gate posted:

This is a dumb argument because 4e sold more than 3.5 though. Every edition of D&D is the most popular edition, because it keeps becoming less niche and more marketable.

Did it? Like I said I was much more fond of 4e so I'm not trying to push some "wotc betrayed the true fans" nonsense. I guess they freaked out cause pathfinder was making decent numbers and they thought they could Shepard them back.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
They do a new version of D&D every so often, 5e wasn't some panic reaction to Pathfinder it was just time for a revamp. 4e was MASSIVE compared to 3.5, like The Gate said, every single version of D&D is the most popular version they have ever had. Whenever 6th comes out it will outsell 5e by a huge margin.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Played my 2k nighthaunt vs their 1k slaves to darkness and 1k stormcast. We did the relocating orb mission from the general's handbook.

I got destroyed, because I'm very bad still. I don't even know what I should do better. Still had a lot of fun doing it.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Great action shots! I just had a game against a friends Nighthaunt, but I forgot to take pictures. I didn't know that if the ghosts roll high for their charge they get a free activation in combat in the charge phase, until now that is. Very nasty!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm getting out of the game, mostly due to storage space concerns (I basically have none :U). This probably disqualifies me from being the OP of the thread, but I'll be around to shitpost and pretend I know jack poo poo about the game.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I do feel kind of disappointed that the line in the fluff of one of the battletomes about how the realms are destined to combine and form a new world most likely wasnt them hinting that they are going to make a new world rather than the multiple realms thing they have going on.

But Warhammer classic seems fun.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
It turns out fellow goon Harvey Mantaco and I live in the same city (middle of nowhere, Canada represent) and met up for a game this weekend. My airbrush special Flesh Eaters vs his amazingly well painted Technicolour Bullshit Space Lizards.

I would have taken more pictures but I was busy swearing at teleporting frogs:

Lost on objectives pretty badly but I killed probably 125% of his army by points therefore much flesh was devoured and I consider it a moral victory. Special shout out to the freakiest die roll ever that landed balanced exactly on a corner.

Anyone else in the Canadian Prairies looking for AoS or 40K or whatever PM us!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

This kills the dinosaur.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Harvey Mantaco posted:

This kills the dinosaur.

And how!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I LOVE THOSE FLESHEATER COURTS MODELS SO MUCH. IT IS YOUR FAULT I BOUGHT TOO MANY CANNIBALS.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

TKIY posted:

18 corpse flayers and 2 Courtiers finally fully finished.

Yours are more visually striking, but I like how mine are coming along. Thanks for the inspiration.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

jadebullet posted:

I do feel kind of disappointed that the line in the fluff of one of the battletomes about how the realms are destined to combine and form a new world most likely wasnt them hinting that they are going to make a new world rather than the multiple realms thing they have going on.

But Warhammer classic seems fun.

I think thats more meant to be a doomsday prophecy because those are a staple of fantasy settings. The multiple realms thing has come into its own imo. It used to be a lame excuse to have a sandbox without fleshing it out but theyve since done the legwork to make each realm feel distinct and have actual places of note in them.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I would actually prefer a consistent new world made up of bits of all the realms instead of the current hodgepodge of infinite featureless planes thing that seems to be what's going on now.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Boing posted:

I would actually prefer a consistent new world made up of bits of all the realms instead of the current hodgepodge of infinite featureless planes thing that seems to be what's going on now.

Id say in practice its closer to that now. The realms arent like dnd planes i.e. Aqshy isnt just endless fire, people live there, hell theres a city built on a realmgate so its both in the realm of fire and life, they've really worked on the concept quite a bit.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

Yours are more visually striking, but I like how mine are coming along. Thanks for the inspiration.

D'awwww... I consider myself a middling painter but I'm glad someone liked them. Go eat your enemies with my full support and encouragement.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Boing posted:

They need the hodpodge of planes for it to be possible for a lot of the factions to interact. That was a major problem for WHFB, some of the factions had no reason to ever interact.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

tbh age of sigmar is the more appropriate background for a miniature game of endless battles with huge customizable armies that don't impact the lore. WFB started as a roleplay setting and it still kicks aos' rear end in that regard.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Which is why I'm curious about Soulbound just to see how much it expands upon the Realms much like how WHFRPG did with the Old World.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
honestly allowing WFRP4e to exist was pretty much the exact thing to get me to stop grousing *and* got me interested in giving the AoS rpg a look.

forgeworld doing their own throwback edition is just gravy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Getting some progress in on my all-contrast cities of sigmar