Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

gh0stpinballa posted:

in all honesty the podcast you guys do is far better than trashfuture

Why's that? Not that I don't like PiP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Necrothatcher posted:

The latest Marina Hyde about Boris links to one of his Spectator articles and uh...

quote:

I awoke to find a sweet-faced Chinese air stewardess standing over me in my aisle seat. ‘Prease, sir,’ said the BA girl. ‘Prease come with me. I have found a better seat for you in row 52.’ Well, I began to say, wondering whether this was just a beautiful dream; well, that is really very thoughtful of you. It crossed my mind, in my groggy state, that this must be one of the world’s favourite airline’s popularity-building measures – to send gentle oriental girls, shortly before take-off, to separate fathers from their unruly children. As I unbuckled my belt and rose to go, the rest of the family started to protest. Why was I deserting them? I dunno, I said, but she wants me to move. ‘It is the rule,’ said the BA girl. ‘We have a very strict rule that adult men are not allowed to sit next to young children. There have been incidents,’ said the BA girl darkly. I was going to reassure her, and say how much I agreed with the policy, and that as far as I was concerned adult men should at all costs be protected from young children. But one of them gave the game away. ‘He’s our father!’ said someone. ‘Oh,’ said the stewardess, flummoxed. ‘Velly solly.’

.... right

On another occasion, Boris got away with it and got his upgrade, but forgot to return to his children when the plane landed. This is why he refuses to answer questions about how many children he has. He still doesn't know where they are, or even whether they are still alive.

He searched mightily, but gave up after five minutes when he saw an exotic stewardess and tried to follow her until he was tackled by security. He cracked a few racist jokes about the security guards, and was then rescued by his personal assistant.

All's well that ends well.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

What's the significance of 4th January 2003?

It's not 1973, where it's considerably better suited.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

gh0stpinballa posted:

in all honesty the podcast you guys do is far better than trashfuture

Very much agreed although I do believe referring to Jo Swinson as "Lenny & Carl" is very funny and should be rolled out to more media outlets.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

The latest Marina Hyde about Boris links to one of his Spectator articles and uh...

.... right

what the gently caress

is that real?

E: Yes, yes it is.

quote:

It is the most disgusting thing any democratic government can do: to find an issue of culture or conscience that divides society, and to play it up, in the hope of exciting the prejudices of your core constituency. Hitler did it. The BJP does it. Labour does it, of course, with fox-hunting.

quote:

Looking at the diverse wedding crowd, and thinking of this planet’s multicultural future, I have been brooding about carrots. It is a fact that the British carrot used to be white. It was a pale, delicate, Anglo-Saxon root. As anyone who has eaten Indian carrot halva will know, Indian carrots are red, the colour of blood oranges. It probably follows that at some stage the dark red carrots of the subcontinent cross-fertilised with our indigenous carrots, to produce the modern orange cross. Yes, folks, the next time you chomp on a carrot, reflect that it is a half-caste. It is the result of rampant miscegenation. Look at the modern British carrot, and you behold the future of the human race.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 18, 2019

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

So the Lib Dems are going to run a surplus but also scrap Business Rates which bring in tens of billions of pounds per year.

Austerity 2 is going to be hard as balls.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's not 1973, where it's considerably better suited.

Ah right - just thought there might be some special significance to that date in history or for Boris or whatever.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

mrpwase posted:

It's a new role I've just been promoted into and am currently negotiating a wage increase for, I don't really want to be seen to be doing nothing. So I'm in the absurd position of pretending to work when there isn't even any.

Edit: am definitely gonna buy a ukulele though!

Do your research first, and buy an entry-level one from a reputable brand. The cheapest ones are all poo poo, and a lot of the gimmicky looking ones with cartoon characters or whatever are also poo poo. Get a soprano ukulele to start with, because it's the smallest and cheapest of the standard sizes. It's the size that everyone is used to seeing. Soprano refers purely to its size, because it is tuned the same way as the other sizes (except the largest, the baritone ukulele). :) :guitar:

It's basically a miniature nylon guitar ;)

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Does anybody know what is in Labour's proposed Charter of Digital Rights?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

sebzilla posted:

Jo Swinson opens her speeck by paying tribute to ~Anita Roddick, one of her "heroes."

Hmmmm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Body_Shop#Controversies

Seem extremely on-brand for Jo;

Jo respects her for being a really successful grifter :shrug:

That's what capitalism selects for, after all ;)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The accounts involved have all been deleted now but this tweet was in my browser cache

interesting, if true

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh the R/L convergence doesn't work this way you racist loving oval office.
I awoke to find a sweet-faced Chinese air stewardess standing over me in my aisle seat. "Delay no more, sir," said the BA girl. "Delay no more, I have found a better seat for you on the loving wing."

I've seen the spectacular loving take that nationalized broadband is entirely so that they can spy on us or censor us in the wild a few times.

They already do that, the only difference is that currently you pay for the pleasure, and if you want a stop to it you should consider voting for a party led by the one guy who has been generally far more opposed to poo poo like mass retention of information about communications, mass surveillance of communications, and Labour's terrorism acts than anyone else other than perhaps David David David Davis (currently irrelevant) and Diane Abbott (currently shadow Home Sec.)

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

ronya posted:

nothing known beyond that in https://labour.org.uk/press/british...adband-for-all/

quote:

The party will also announce plans for a new Charter of Digital Rights – the strongest protection of data and online rights ever enacted. We will consult on its contents, which could include:
  • Powers for individuals and collectives to challenge algorithmic injustice (where online algorithms cause disproportionate harms to particular groups);
  • Powers for individuals and collectives to prevent the use of digital infrastructure for surveillance;
  • Rights for individuals to protect access to and ownership of their data.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ronya posted:

From what I saw previously it's a skeleton framework of the right to privacy and control over what information you reveal. Basically to stop the internet being a wild west for corporations to commoditise us.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Tesseraction posted:

interesting, if true

screenshots of alleged tweets is a low bar to clear for bots - is that an actual embedded reply tweet or just an image?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ronya posted:

screenshots of alleged tweets is a low bar to clear for bots - is that an actual embedded reply tweet or just an image?

it was a picture of the tweet - but shortly after the tweet I screengrabbed was posted, SadJamieRoss deleted its account, and shortly afterwards the other account appears to have deleted

by no means conclusive but would be interesting, especially given they apparently share a particular method of insulting other peoples' prose: https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1196442923262500864

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

With conservatives it is always, always projection

"Careful! Jeremy Corbyn might eat you!" said the bridge troll.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If there was ever an action figure of Toby Young then GI Turd would be the perfect name.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Tesseraction posted:

The accounts involved have all been deleted now but this tweet was in my browser cache

interesting, if true
What a loving prick he is, waiting until I'm banned from twitter to gently caress up like this :argh:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/MylesHSG/status/1196448201701769216

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Currently nine layers of irony deep to figure out if such a terse response is him trying to play it cool while bricking it.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

interesting, if true

Weird, Ash Sarkar tweeted about that account and her tweet has been deleted too :tinfoil:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Tesseraction posted:

it was a picture of the tweet - but shortly after the tweet I screengrabbed was posted, SadJamieRoss deleted its account, and shortly afterwards the other account appears to have deleted

by no means conclusive but would be interesting, especially given they apparently share a particular method of insulting other peoples' prose: https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1196442923262500864

the weird part is thiccastley deleting their account

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

thiccastley
What a time to be alive.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

I know the police say that they found my DNA evidence in sweat left at the scene, but that's impossible because I don't sweat. It must have been my evil twin :smug:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I see the Jon Stone tweet is also nuked now:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Bundy posted:

Weird, Ash Sarkar tweeted about that account and her tweet has been deleted too :tinfoil:

That is where I first saw it. She's asked him if it is his.

https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/1196440835178545160?s=20

EDIT: It's a thread with back and forth between them. Ash explains her deletion.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

With all the policies that have been announced I really want Labour to win this time, even if they would have to water them down for lib dems.

I'd take a minority conservative government as well. Just please not a con majority, that would be absolutely terrifying with the fuckers that are on the front bench right now.

There's a part of me that thinks "how much worse could it be" but then I look at Trump in the US and, well, yeah.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Pochoclo shot off my sweat glands in the war.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

TTerrible posted:

That is where I first saw it. She's asked him if it is his.

https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/1196440835178545160?s=20

EDIT: It's a thread with back and forth between them. Ash explains her deletion.

https://twitter.com/punished_stu/status/1196446528547827712

Curiouser and curiouser...

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Tesseraction posted:

Why's that? Not that I don't like PiP.

better chat mostly, better takes and longform discussion imo. also PiP don't try too hard with Extremely Online references. feel like TF is a bit of a chapo knock off sometimes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

gh0stpinballa posted:

better chat mostly, better takes and longform discussion imo. also PiP don't try too hard with Extremely Online references. feel like TF is a bit of a chapo knock off sometimes.

This is true. They definitely have a lot of injokes and references that alienate people out of the loop.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Bardeh posted:

what the gently caress

is [Johnson's article history] real?

E: Yes, yes it is.

quote:

Looking at the diverse wedding crowd, and thinking of this planet’s multicultural future, I have been brooding about carrots. It is a fact that the British carrot used to be white. It was a pale, delicate, Anglo-Saxon root. As anyone who has eaten Indian carrot halva will know, Indian carrots are red, the colour of blood oranges. It probably follows that at some stage the dark red carrots of the subcontinent cross-fertilised with our indigenous carrots, to produce the modern orange cross. Yes, folks, the next time you chomp on a carrot, reflect that it is a half-caste. It is the result of rampant miscegenation. Look at the modern British carrot, and you behold the future of the human race.
It is absolutely unreal to me that the current political discourse on racism is positioned around Corbyn, when this kind of distressingly and openly white supremacy poo poo is out there for anyone to read from Johnson. It loving kills me.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

an_mutt posted:

It is absolutely unreal to me that the current political discourse on racism is positioned around Corbyn, when this kind of distressingly and openly white supremacy poo poo is out there for anyone to read from Johnson. It loving kills me.

anti-racism is one of corbyns strengths so its news that hes actually turbo hitler

racism is one of bojos strengths so itd only be news if he wasn't racist, but he is

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Hello thread!

A few days ago I asked for some more info in regards to a friend (born in 1990) saying that Corbyn would to take us back to the 1970s, a typical gammon outcry sadly. I've been reading up on the 70s to try and understand it and this is what I've got;

Early in the decade during the Heath Tory government, we were having coal power issues as we were still heavily reliant on coal for energy back then, and unfortunately supply was failing to meet demand.

Nationalised Miners were being forced to work longer hours, in more dangerous conditions to increase supply, in a system that had reduced resources stemming from the Tories.

There were blackouts regularly as the supply/demand line was crossed.

Heath brought in the three day working week as a way to reduce the demand, basically meaning commercial properties would only be allocated energy for 3 days of a working week. Obviously, the economy suffered massively from this and employment began to rise sharply.

The Miners went on strike ✊✊✊ due to pay demands not being met, and concerns about their wellbeing under the increased workload and more dangerous mining. Heath said no.

In 1974 there were two elections, the first resulting in the minority Wilson Labour government (Libs were still moaning fucks back then), they immediately increased Miners pay and improved conditions, the strikes wound down. The second election won Labour a slim majority.

The weak Labour govenrment made some strides, like the 1975 referendum on joining the European common market, Labour had no official position but most of the cabinet supported joining it. The economy stabilised somewhat, but Labour largely failed to reduce unemployment, instead it floated around 5-6%.

The 1979 election aka The Witch Rises was won by the Tories, largely attacking Labour on their failures to control unemployment. Thatcher almost immediately destroyed most of the nationalised basic utilities, plunging the country into a spiral.and resulting in unemployment doubling.

But everyone instantly forgot how poo poo the Tories were when are boys went to war.

------

My understanding could be completely wrong so feel free to point out any mistakes

But to me the argument that Corbyn wants to take us back to the 70's is obviously the usual bullshit. Comparing a business wide forced 3-day-working week, to a 4-day staff working week is shite, especially when the latter shows increased overall productivity.

Comparing blackouts to green energy? Fart noise.

tl;dr tories are unts

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

When I was last here, five years ago, intelligent Sikhs were in two minds about the new Hindu nationalist government, and its aggressive saffron-hued extolling of Hindu culture. Now they have made up their minds. The BJP is a bad thing. ‘First they go for the Muslims, next they could go for us,’ is the line. It is the most disgusting thing any democratic government can do: to find an issue of culture or conscience that divides society, and to play it up, in the hope of exciting the prejudices of your core constituency. Hitler did it. The BJP does it. Labour does it, of course, with fox-hunting.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Pochoclo shot off my sweat glands in the war.

He shot off into my sweat glands. I can't sweat because they are now blocked with cum.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ratjaculation posted:

Hello thread!

A few days ago I asked for some more info in regards to a friend (born in 1990) saying that Corbyn would to take us back to the 1970s, a typical gammon outcry sadly. I've been reading up on the 70s to try and understand it and this is what I've got;

Early in the decade during the Heath Tory government, we were having coal power issues as we were still heavily reliant on coal for energy back then, and unfortunately supply was failing to meet demand.

Nationalised Miners were being forced to work longer hours, in more dangerous conditions to increase supply, in a system that had reduced resources stemming from the Tories.

There were blackouts regularly as the supply/demand line was crossed.

Heath brought in the three day working week as a way to reduce the demand, basically meaning commercial properties would only be allocated energy for 3 days of a working week. Obviously, the economy suffered massively from this and employment began to rise sharply.

The Miners went on strike ✊✊✊ due to pay demands not being met, and concerns about their wellbeing under the increased workload and more dangerous mining. Heath said no.

In 1974 there were two elections, the first resulting in the minority Wilson Labour government (Libs were still moaning fucks back then), they immediately increased Miners pay and improved conditions, the strikes wound down. The second election won Labour a slim majority.

The weak Labour govenrment made some strides, like the 1975 referendum on joining the European common market, Labour had no official position but most of the cabinet supported joining it. The economy stabilised somewhat, but Labour largely failed to reduce unemployment, instead it floated around 5-6%.

The 1979 election aka The Witch Rises was won by the Tories, largely attacking Labour on their failures to control unemployment. Thatcher almost immediately destroyed most of the nationalised basic utilities, plunging the country into a spiral.and resulting in unemployment doubling.

But everyone instantly forgot how poo poo the Tories were when are boys went to war.

------

My understanding could be completely wrong so feel free to point out any mistakes

But to me the argument that Corbyn wants to take us back to the 70's is obviously the usual bullshit. Comparing a business wide forced 3-day-working week, to a 4-day staff working week is shite, especially when the latter shows increased overall productivity.

Comparing blackouts to green energy? Fart noise.

tl;dr tories are unts

yes

the attacks about "back to the 1970s" is a false history used to pretend that All The Bad Stuff Was Labour by effectively turning Thatcher's tenure into a reboot of history

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tory history:

WW1 happened, which we won because are boys are brave

then Hitler popped up from nowhere and we had to fight him in WW2, which was when Churchill personally defeated him

then Churchill made the NHS and things were great until Labour hosed everything up in the 1970s and St. Maggie descended from heaven to save our country from communism and poofs

then Tony Blair and Gordon Brown did the financial crisis and iraq all by themselves until Cameron descended from heaven to save our country from the dying economy and later Europe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I assume there's someone at Labour or Momentum trawling through these Spectator columns for examples of Boris being a racist piece of poo poo... but would it be worth us doing something as well?

If people take a year of columns each we should get through them fairly quickly.

look, here he is being a creeper:

quote:

"Victoria Beckham is minute. She was standing in a circle of gofers and parents and children, and sort of glaring at the world. Her eyes were invisible behind enormous Dior shades, but her lips were thrust out in her trademark snarl, like some rainforest chief. She was wearing a furry waistcoat and odd, low-slung baggy trousers, but the most interesting thing was her bottom. It was either the top of her bottom or the bottom of her back. It was plainly visible, and appeared to be tattooed with some inscription or device. I scrambled after her up the stairs to the ski lift, in an undignified attempt to read the message. What was it? ‘Open other end’? ‘If you can read this, you are too close’? It turned out to be four stars, signifying, apparently, the birth of her two children."

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 18, 2019