Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

it's that time of the month again

PG&E Weather

quote:

High pressure will build into Oregon over that time frame and gusty north or northeast winds are favored to develop across the northern half of the state overnight Tuesday and through Wednesday or early Thursday and may reach outage thresholds. However, due to shower activity across the southern part of the state, there is still uncertainty as whether the north winds will result in extremely dry humidity that would lead to critical fire conditions. Nonetheless, PG&E Meteorology will continue to monitor weather forecast models closely moving forward and Elevated status may be declared for the middle part of next week for zones 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/PGE-power-shutoff-California-counties-14843042.php

Its the loving end of November and PG&E is gonna turn off power to 750k people

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Glumslinger posted:

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/PGE-power-shutoff-California-counties-14843042.php

Its the loving end of November and PG&E is gonna turn off power to 750k people
Except it's 80 degrees in the middle of Nov and we need AC running instead of heat

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

FilthyImp posted:

Except it's 80 degrees in the middle of Nov and we need AC running instead of heat

Where in Northern California are you that its 80 degrees this week?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's 90 degrees in the IE, 50 miles east of LA. A fun preview of things to come.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I look forward to the coming weeks and weeks of 0% cloud coverage until two days in late January when 24 inches of rain fall all at once and half the state washes away.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Yes and the dates where these shutoffs are being planned will coincide with a significant cooling statewide and rain in southern California

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 18, 2019

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

CPColin posted:

I look forward to the coming weeks and weeks of 0% cloud coverage until two days in late January when 24 inches of rain fall all at once and half the state washes away.

They cut the power off, lines go down, fire sweeps through burning all the trees, a torrential downpour causes flash floods and mudslides then an earthquake.

The aristocrats.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ranter posted:

They cut the power off, lines go down, fire sweeps through burning all the trees, a torrential downpour causes flash floods and mudslides then an earthquake.

The aristocrats.

I was hoping id sink with the S.S. california

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Can't wait for Newsom's inevitable mealy-mouthed attempt to denounce the shutoffs but also skirt around any talk of nationalizing the grid!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sydin posted:

Can't wait for Newsom's inevitable mealy-mouthed attempt to denounce the shutoffs but also skirt around any talk of nationalizing the grid!

Newson in a pitch black shelter: well on the bright side you dont need to microwave motor oil

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I looked up the CA GOP website because I was curious about something, and man they really have given the gently caress up on this state.

I mean look at this poo poo. It’s incredibly bare bones

Contrast with the dem website, which is more what you would expect for a major party in a huge state.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 20, 2019

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Kill Bristol posted:

I looked up the CA GOP website because I was curious about something, and man they really have given the gently caress up on this state.

Contrast with the dem website, which is more what you would expect for a major party in a huge state.

The average GOP voter is getting bilked for hundreds of dollars a month for Willie Nelson mind pills because they clicked a link at the bottom of TrueFactsAmericaDotCom. Yeah, they don't give a poo poo about websites.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Kill Bristol posted:

Lol, sorry. I can't install IE6 on my phone.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

CopperHound posted:

Lol, sorry. I can't install IE6 on my phone.

Here's a quick recap so you don't have to sweat being kept away from such top-tier content.

The parts that work the best are the Store Page and the Donation Page. The FAQ stalls and is empty.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Well that actually makes sense. Conservatives don't ask questions.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

??

we've been... owned?

e: this is one of three products available at the store. The others are a $60 white t-shirt with a breast pocket with the CAGOP logo, and another $50 white tee with just "Win California" on it, no mention of any political party.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 20, 2019

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
re: train talk

As someone from outside of the US that uses the trains in California often, there are some things that have not helped it grow properly, first a lot of abandoned railroads could easily be put back into operation if they are not promptly converted into a walking trail.

Second, the state needs to stop allowing private railroads from simply abandoning railroads, taking them over and running passenger services on them that actually stop on the cities on the way, the current services specially the coast starlight since it is mostly a sightseeing train skips a lot of cities on its way.

Third it doesn't help that most of the tracks the current trains run on are mainly freight tracks that are not properly maintained or designed to have smooth rides and a lot don't have banked turns requiring trains to slow down on those turns.

Forth, double-track lines for fucks sake, last week I was stuck on a train to San Diego for hours as a metro link ahead of my Amtrak had broke down on a single track section and right before that was an hour and half waiting on a coast starlight as a metro-link had run over someone because for some reason California is full of level crossings that shouldn't exist.

Turning abandoned railroad tracks that could otherwise be used for commuter or intercity services into trails is something that house owners around them really love as they will get rid of the train, the poor people on them and have their house prices increase while making it much harder in future to have train service there, great for boomers, not so great for anyone else.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I road Amtrak last night from Oakland to Sac and it loving sucked as usual and was overly crowded, slow and bumpy and the seats loving suck. At least it didn't get stuck by Fairfield for 3 hrs like it did last year or almost tip over like it did one morning in December 2016. All for only $58/round trip that takes 120 minutes to go 82 miles......and then you finally get back to Sac and get to walk for 20 minutes to get to your car and then wait in traffic to even get out of the garage. :argh:

at least there wasn't puke and broken bottles by my car this time.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
yeah that amtrak route is basically desperate last-resort and it sucks. even with traffic you're probably better off riding the MegaBus (only goes to SF iirc), Overland Scenic, or Greyhound. I think they're about $10-$20 a ride. e: well maybe greyhound is worse but megabus was fine the time i took it

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 21, 2019

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
I used to ride that route, Capital Corridor, as my commute and I loved it. Well, loved it compared to driving, anyway.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I’ve been taking Amtrak to LA almost every week since Jan. 2018 from Oceanside to Union Station. Stay in LA during the week. I’m on the first train in the AM.

There have been two times when the train has been delayed.

One, a suicide on the tracks and the other a broken switch.

It’s a decent ride and on business class I get to ride in the Superliner which has great seats that are easy to sleep in

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've taken that SAC to OKJ round trip over 200 times over the last 10 years and it sucks and is getting worse. It will continue to suck until they get their own rails which will be never.

Just think how nice it would be if it was fast, smooth, comfortable and efficient. It should be a 60 minute trip each way.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Regional rail is usually not bad. Metro link is decent and reliable in getting from the IE to LA and back. It’s when you try and go beyond that that it’s either slow, unreliable, too expensive, or some combination thereof.

Fake edit: stupid question, but does anyone know what the gently caress the dabbing unicorn in my previous post is a reference to? Loretta Sanchez? That’s the only thing I can think of. It’s been bothering me all day.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 21, 2019

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Kill Bristol posted:

Fake edit: stupid question, but does anyone know what the gently caress the dabbing unicorn in my previous post is a reference to? Loretta Sanchez? That’s the only thing I can think of. It’s been bothering me all day.

It is a reference to CA Republicans being rare.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Kill Bristol posted:

Regional rail is usually not bad. Metro link is decent and reliable in getting from the IE to LA and back. It’s when you try and go beyond that that it’s either slow, unreliable, too expensive, or some combination thereof.

As I don't live in LA my experience with metrolink usually involves a metrolink ahead delaying my amtrak train.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Metrolink needs to add more weekend service to/from the ie, it's bullshit that you have two options to go/return and the last train leaves at 7. What if I wanted dinner in la, you assholes

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Kill Bristol posted:

it asserts the idea that centerist democrats are rare, because all democrats are crazy hard-leftists. i think the dabbing thing is just to reference stupid internet culture

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Rainbow Knight posted:

it asserts the idea that centerist democrats are rare, because all democrats are crazy hard-leftists. i think the dabbing thing is just to reference stupid internet culture

Wait hold on I passed over it as a, "your actual base is pretty lefty, get with the times politicians" and not a, "we can't work with them because they're all crazy."

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

slicing up eyeballs posted:

Metrolink needs to add more weekend service to/from the ie, it's bullshit that you have two options to go/return and the last train leaves at 7. What if I wanted dinner in la, you assholes

They have some weird gaps in their schedule, there's no trains into OC from like 7:30 to 10:30, there's no trains back into the IE between 5:30 and 7pm, and only two weekend services.

On the whole it's pretty good though, they seem to be actively making improvements to the service and adding more trains cars to crowded lines. Testing wifi too!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
IME dealing with transit boards, weird time gaps and coverage holes are usually just caused by sprawl and slow response to need, but kept in place by some dumbfuck bougie city council along the line jumping at the shadow of undesirables in their neighborhood.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Lol @ how long it took the sac blue line to run in Folsom at night while Folsom was also trying to turn Old Folsom into "respectable" party area.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

FCKGW posted:

They have some weird gaps in their schedule, there's no trains into OC from like 7:30 to 10:30, there's no trains back into the IE between 5:30 and 7pm, and only two weekend services.

On the whole it's pretty good though, they seem to be actively making improvements to the service and adding more trains cars to crowded lines. Testing wifi too!

Yeah it's especially frustrating because it's so close to what I want. Being able to take my bike on the train to la and spend time reading instead of driving kicks rear end.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I was at a conference of Transportation Authorities around the country last week, hosted by the OCTA. They gave us a tour of the 91 Express Lane and gave us traffic figures of all the people coming in from the IE to work, also complaining about how they keep widening the freeways but traffic just gets worse, and now they're out of space to widen! Hopefully there will be some support in the future for a stacked freeway!

Meanwhile I just sat there hearing donoteat's voice repeat "build a train. Build a Train. BUILD A TRAIN." over and over in my head.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sydin posted:

I was at a conference of Transportation Authorities around the country last week, hosted by the OCTA. They gave us a tour of the 91 Express Lane and gave us traffic figures of all the people coming in from the IE to work, also complaining about how they keep widening the freeways but traffic just gets worse, and now they're out of space to widen! Hopefully there will be some support in the future for a stacked freeway!

Meanwhile I just sat there hearing donoteat's voice repeat "build a train. Build a Train. BUILD A TRAIN." over and over in my head.

Train Good, Car Bad, Horse Milquetoast.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

VideoGameVet posted:

I’ve been taking Amtrak to LA almost every week since Jan. 2018 from Oceanside to Union Station. Stay in LA during the week. I’m on the first train in the AM.

There have been two times when the train has been delayed.

One, a suicide on the tracks and the other a broken switch.

It’s a decent ride and on business class I get to ride in the Superliner which has great seats that are easy to sleep in

Amtrak between SD and LA is probably one of the best routes in the state. Right along the ocean and reasonably direct.

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

Pomp posted:

Lol @ how long it took the sac blue line to run in Folsom at night while Folsom was also trying to turn Old Folsom into "respectable" party area.

That's the gold line my friend :) . SacRT is planning to add dual tracks from Hazel to Old Folsom in the, hopefully nearish future, to let the train go every 15 minutes instead of the 30 minute wait.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

slicing up eyeballs posted:

Yeah it's especially frustrating because it's so close to what I want. Being able to take my bike on the train to la and spend time reading instead of driving kicks rear end.

Since I want to sleep on the train and have a guaranteed seat, I'm on Amtrak (business class) with a folding bike I don't have to get a reservation for. It also makes parking it at the office a non-issue as well as going places (restaurants etc.).

Metrolink isn't bad, they do have that bike car, but it's harder to get work done on it, no power etc.

Amtrak's WiFi is a total joke though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sydin posted:

There already is a train! It's the Metrolink we're talking about! Just make the darn train slightly better!

One way toll is on the 91 express is now up to $28

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
Isn’t there someone on here associated with the VTA? Can they explain why there is no northbound train after 9 pm on Friday or Saturday?