Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I kind of like the light armor and tunic look of the clone war cartoons for jedi knights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

skasion posted:

I also think the reception of the prequel Jedi would have been even worse if Lucas had deviated wildly from what the Jedi in the original movies looked like and put them all in shining armor or something.

Why not? The prequel trilogy already takes some massive liberties with what we knew about the Jedi from the OT and it would have honestly been far more believable if the Jedi dressed like knights or almost anything else before the Empire murdered them all. But nope, they just mostly wear the same robes as Obi-Wan in A New Hope...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Why not? The prequel trilogy already takes some massive liberties with what we knew about the Jedi from the OT and it would have honestly been far more believable if the Jedi dressed like knights or almost anything else before the Empire murdered them all. But nope, they just mostly wear the same robes as Obi-Wan in A New Hope...

Because “they changed it, now it sucks”, as with most of the prequels. Yoda shouldn’t be doing flips and sword fighting, he’s a little old man who sits around!

The prequel trilogy’s portrait of the Jedi flows directly from the attitude that ESB and ROTJ take: they might seem nice, they’re not without good qualities, they have cool secret powers and insights, they’re certainly a lot less bad than actual cackling fascists who feed on hate and pain, but they’re also violent, hypocritical assholes who lie and manipulate and demand that you sacrifice your normal human behavior. The Jedi wearing armor in Clone Wars is almost too on the nose as a response to their party line about how they’re peacekeepers and not soldiers.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Amidala had some phenomenal looking getups in the prequels so we know that its possible to have imaginative costumery. the plain Jedi order robes make sense for who they claim to be, even if it is extremely boring looking

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

How much of what we knew about Obi-Wan in A New Hope turned out to be true by the time we got to the end of RotJ?

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Computer, show me a Nude Windu.

[Does not compute]

NUDE. WINDU.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Irrelevant marketing like this is so confounding. I went to Kroger a while back for groceries around when TLJ was in theaters and picked up a Dole salad mix of all things that had Rey on the package for some reason and I was like "Why????"

I picked up some Dole brand BB-8 Coleslaw mix one time. It was.... befuddling.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

Computer, show me a Nude Windu.

[Does not compute]

NUDE. WINDU.

He’s commando under those robes. Freeballin as he smacks down a bitch rear end nine year old or arrests the senate

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

There's a great bit in the Auralnauts redubs (pro watch) where the Stormtroopers stop Luke's Speeder in Mos Eisley and observe that Kenobi is dressed like exactly every Jedi they've ever seen but ultimately let him go because "Alright, buddy, if you tell me you're not a Jedi, I have to believe you."

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

TK-42-1 posted:

I picked up some Dole brand BB-8 Coleslaw mix one time. It was.... befuddling.

And I thought the Finn-adorned nectarines were weird...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

There's a great bit in the Auralnauts redubs (pro watch) where the Stormtroopers stop Luke's Speeder in Mos Eisley and observe that Kenobi is dressed like exactly every Jedi they've ever seen but ultimately let him go because "Alright, buddy, if you tell me you're not a Jedi, I have to believe you."

They’re not looking for Jedi, they’re looking for droids.

Besides they’re soldiers, in addition to being meatheads they were probably all of five years old when the Jedi got wiped out. Never seen one in their lives most likely

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Owlbear Camus posted:

He's also dressed like every moisture farmer they've ever seen.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Owlbear Camus posted:

That's because he's dressed no different than most other humans dressed in lovely robes protecting them from the desert sands on desert planet Tatooine and the prequel trilogy is goddamn stupid.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 18, 2019

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
thrift stores all across the galaxy were flooded with slightly singed robes for sale after Order 66

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sassassin posted:

He's also dressed like every moisture farmer they've ever seen.

check out this wise jedi master Uncle Owen

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Jedi dress like but fail to show class solidarity with the poor and oppressed classes. This wasn't new to the prequels, Obi-Wan was presented as a liar and a schemer before he even appears on screen *krayt dragon sounds* and he and Yoda demand that Luke ignores the pain and suffering of others in pursuit of their goals.

Darth Vader dresses like a space knight/samurai because he has accepted his role as a authoritarian bully.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

thrift stores all across the galaxy were flooded with slightly singed robes for sale after Order 66

for sale: youngling-sized helmet with blast shield, lightly used, training lightsaber, dropped once

that was another dumb thing, the kids all training with that specific helmet instead of it being obi-wan coming up with an ad-hoc exercise based on what he found laying around in the living area of a space truck

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Yeah, I assumed when I was a kid that Obi-Wan wore crappy robes because he lived on a crappy desert planet and he wanted to blend in as a faceless old dude... not because that was the official garb of the Jedi??? I was so confused when I saw The Phantom Menace and thought it was the dumbest loving thing. George Lucas is a moron and has no idea how to build a believable setting.

Then again, would you want to see Jedi all in the same suit?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

revwinnebago posted:

If only they'd cast Herzog as Qui-Gon Jinn.

Lucas: "Hm. Yeah. So this guy has a double-bladed lightsaber. You're going to have a fifteen-minute long fight sequence and-"

Herz-Og Jinn: "No. Zeir fight is emotional. I vill stare at him and dare him to approach us, for I know him to be a coward."

Lucas: "Hm. Well. We need to have a bunch of special effects."

Herz-Og Jinn: "I vill cast my lightsaber to ze floor and trample upon it, for ze force is my true ally. A true Jedi needs not zuch primitive devices."

Lucas: "Hm. Has somebody got my coffee?"

Herz-Og Jinn: "I see now vere you got ze idea for Jabba, peering across time as you did at your own future self."

Lucas: "Hm. What? Oh. Did I forget to say action?"

Owlbear Camus posted:

"Okay so your character can't understand the droids beeping because you don't speak binary."

"I do understand though, because it is ze language of all life. It is not beeping but screaming. It is a galaxy of death."

gently caress you two for coming up with such a great concept that will never be realised. I HATE YOU! (in burnt Anakin voice)

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

skasion posted:

Because “they changed it, now it sucks”, as with most of the prequels. Yoda shouldn’t be doing flips and sword fighting, he’s a little old man who sits around!

That sucks because it sucks, not because it's "different." OT lightsaber duels had drama because they were intimate altercations between two characters who had reasons to fight and useful dialogue. In the prequels (and sequels) they're just spectacle and zingers. Highlander would loving suck if the kurgan just bounced around and did flips and spin moves for minutes of sustained battle on screen.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

pile of brown posted:

That sucks because it sucks, not because it's "different." OT lightsaber duels had drama because they were intimate altercations between two characters who had reasons to fight and useful dialogue. In the prequels (and sequels) they're just spectacle and zingers. Highlander would loving suck if the kurgan just bounced around and did flips and spin moves for minutes of sustained battle on screen.

Eh? Yoda has perfectly good reasons to fight Palpatine and Dooku, and dumb mid fight zingers have always been a feature of Star Wars. You’re only a master of evil, Darth!

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Most "lore" has always said Jawas are only on tattoine and not spacefaring apart from the rare individual, but that's always been dumb, of course they would be spacefaring.

They started showing sand crawlers and stuff on Garbage Planets as early as the Shadows of the Empire game, and I think one of the Clone Wars things showed Jawas on a Garbage Planet.

I like that a galaxy with cities of trillions covering entire planets had enough world building thought to put in Planet D'ump.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Irrelevant marketing like this is so confounding. I went to Kroger a while back for groceries around when TLJ was in theaters and picked up a Dole salad mix of all things that had Rey on the package for some reason and I was like "Why????"

Dole
Rey

me

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

skasion posted:

Not to rag on you or anything, but this post is doing the same thing that people in this thread constantly complain that Star Wars does, which is assume that whenever the movies show a specific case, it must be totally generalized to the entire rest of the setting. Obi-wan wears earth toned robes when we meet him therefore all other Jedi wear earth toned robes in the prequels. All Hutts are gangsters, all mandalorians are bounty hunters, etc. My point is that maybe these guys in ANH are just a bunch of troglodyte grease monkeys who live in some lovely desert on some lovely planet because they’ve got a good racket going there and there’s a whole planet of Jawas out there somewhere with a flourishing high culture based on shrieking various intonations of “uteedee!”

But you can understand how those are different, right? Of course it's silly to extrapolate that all members of an intelligent race have the same occupation, but it's reasonable to categorize broader characteristics of a species like height and intelligence. It would be reasonable for there to be a Hutt baker and a Hutt accountant, but you could probably guess that Jabba the Hutt approximates the kind of appearance and intelligence that you can expect from a Hutt. So when we see a bunch of Jawas who are short people who don't seem to be very smart, it's probable that there's not a Planet of the Jawas that's the pinnacle of galactic science and philosophy

Like it'd be weird if it turned out that Chewbacca is actually a mutant and that most wookies are 3 foot tall hairless gnomes that speak French. Right? Cool but weird

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

dole rey me? feh. so, lan, uh, ti, do calrissian

I'm sorry that's no good

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

Like it'd be weird if it turned out that Chewbacca is actually a mutant and that most wookies are 3 foot tall hairless gnomes that speak French. Right? Cool but weird

thats the origin story of Thanos

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

But you can understand how those are different, right? Of course it's silly to extrapolate that all members of an intelligent race have the same occupation, but it's reasonable to categorize broader characteristics of a species like height and intelligence. It would be reasonable for there to be a Hutt baker and a Hutt accountant, but you could probably guess that Jabba the Hutt approximates the kind of appearance and intelligence that you can expect from a Hutt. So when we see a bunch of Jawas who are short people who don't seem to be very smart, it's probable that there's not a Planet of the Jawas that's the pinnacle of galactic science and philosophy

There's no screen canon reason to think that jawas are incapable of space flight, even if we take the ones we see as representative. They have language, commerce, and technology. Their tech may be a bit junky and kitbashed, but that's just par for the course. They keep a massive treaded fortress rolling over an inhospitable desert. Keep in mind the first privately owned spacefaring vessel we see is a hamburger shaped jalopy held together with duct tape and wookiee fur.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

skasion posted:

Eh? Yoda has perfectly good reasons to fight Palpatine and Dooku

Palpatine sure, but as far as the Prequels were concerned Dooku was just a guy. The flavor that Dooku was Yoda's former Padawan which would have added some actual emotional weight to the fight only exists in the EU, AFAIK. At least ANH gave us "yeah Vader was a pupil of mine, then he turned to evil, betrayed, and murdered your father" which gets you emotionally invested in watching Alec Guinness and David "I cannot see poo poo through this loving helmet" Prowse awkwardly bump into one another while holding sticks for 15 seconds.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Owlbear Camus posted:

There's no screen canon reason to think that jawas are incapable of space flight, even if we take the ones we see as representative. They have language, commerce, and technology. Their tech may be a bit junky and kitbashed, but that's just par for the course. They keep a massive treaded fortress rolling over an inhospitable desert. Keep in mind the first privately owned spacefaring vessel we see is a hamburger shaped jalopy held together with duct tape and wookiee fur.

Jawas have standard intelligence, no modifier either way:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sydin posted:

Palpatine sure, but as far as the Prequels were concerned Dooku was just a guy. The flavor that Dooku was Yoda's former Padawan which would have added some actual emotional weight to the fight only exists in the EU, AFAIK. At least ANH gave us "yeah Vader was a pupil of mine, then he turned to evil, betrayed, and murdered your father" which gets you emotionally invested in watching Alec Guinness and David "I cannot see poo poo through this loving helmet" Prowse awkwardly bump into one another while holding sticks for 15 seconds.

Yeah, the Dooku backstory is only in a deleted scene. AOTC’s script has a lot more stuff about and from Dooku than made it into the finished product — I’m not really sure what Lucas was playing at, he shamefully wastes Lee. The information that does make it into the movie is fairly unsatisfying — the Jedi think of him as an idealist, but psych, he’s actually a sell out rear end in a top hat and a Sith Lord. Well okay.

Within what the movie gives you, though, Yoda is fighting for the lives of Obi-wan and Anakin, both of whom Dooku is about to kill when he walks in. It’s not a terribly tense dramatic thing, because everyone knows Obi-wan and Anakin aren’t gonna die, but it is dramatic for Yoda. It provides context for his seemingly contradictory attitudes about fighting in the original trilogy. He regrets violence and doesn’t want Luke to go off half cocked swinging a sword at everything, but he’s really good at it, and it’s his final argument when everything else he can think of fails. If Lucas hadn’t chopped the part about Dooku being his apprentice, we could also realize that this is a moment of personal failure for Yoda. He doesn’t try and emotionally connect or argue with this dude at all, he’s just here with the cavalry to fight for what he thinks is right.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Rey eats that wierd fruit salad that's like fractal broccoli on top of a peach in Force Awakens

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

QuarkJets posted:

That would actually own and a cool bit of sci-fi strangeness, rather than the predictable reality in the Star Wars universe that every Wookie is very similar tall as gently caress Native American analogues. That's another really stupid part of Star Wars since the prequels (and I guess dumb non-canon EU garbage): How every race in the galaxy has their own planet conveniently conforming to their culture/physiology/etc. Makes the setting feel more like a theme park and less like a real universe, which I guess is kind of by design but it's been increasingly lame ever since Star Wars was more fleshed out after the OT.

I prefer the original trilogy where the other races were ridiculously silly sci-fi action-adventure window dressing. You laughed at them and wondered about their origins, but that type of stuff is better when it isn't explained in exhaustive detail. Why is Chewbacca an 8 foot tall massive beast dude? Because it's weird and cool. The end.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 19, 2019

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
OK. a friend of mine is generally geeky, but has somehow never seen any Star Wars*.

what's the consensus on viewing order? Machete order? I've discussed this with other giant goddamn dorks, but never expected it to actually come up in real life.

*except the Ewok movies, lol

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Empty Sandwich posted:

OK. a friend of mine is generally geeky, but has somehow never seen any Star Wars*.

what's the consensus on viewing order? Machete order? I've discussed this with other giant goddamn dorks, but never expected it to actually come up in real life.

The order they were released in. what the gently caress is a machete order

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Empty Sandwich posted:

the definitive order:

1) A New Hope

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

The order they were released in. what the gently caress is a machete order

You’re correct. Machete order is 45236. Basically for people who hate Jar Jar and Yippeekin Spinwalker

the blogger that invented machete order explicitly founded it on the idea that Star Wars is Luke’s story and the Anakin stuff was just an excursus to explain the “I am your father” stuff. But this was in 2011. The sequels put paid to that notion. Star Wars is about how the galaxy sucks rear end, war is a racket, lasting peace is unachievable, civilization disintegrates and good people fall into evil before occasionally, temporarily backsliding (frontsliding?) into good. Also merchandising.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I've never watched the machete order but it sounds good. I also want to see Topher Grace's re-cut of the prequels that he did as a project to teach himself film editing because he wanted to start directing and I hear it's actually really good.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

skasion posted:

the blogger that invented machete order explicitly founded it on the idea that Star Wars is Luke’s story and the Anakin stuff was just an excursus to explain the “I am your father” stuff. But this was in 2011. The sequels put paid to that notion. Star Wars is about how the galaxy sucks rear end, war is a racket, lasting peace is unachievable, civilization disintegrates and good people fall into evil before occasionally, temporarily backsliding (frontsliding?) into good. Also merchandising.

I forgot that he excised 1. hell with that noise now

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Empty Sandwich posted:

Watch the original trilogy in its normal order. Watch Rogue One. Stay the hell away from the prequels. Maybe watch the sequel trilogy if they're still interested, but it's very skippable.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

1) Star Wars
2) Empire Strikes Back
3) Return of the Jedi
4) Spaceballs