Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
one of the points of pixel/nexus was to keep the oems from racing completely to the bottom and turning the anroid marketplace into a complete junkyard. if other companies are adopting the things that made the google phones stand out (reliable updates, top of the line cameras, etc) to the point where google phones seem kind of superfluous, well mission accomplished i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I've got a year left on my pixel 2 and I'm debating seeing what the 5 looks like or else going to one+

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

FMguru posted:

one of the points of pixel/nexus was to keep the oems from racing completely to the bottom and turning the anroid marketplace into a complete junkyard. if other companies are adopting the things that made the google phones stand out (reliable updates, top of the line cameras, etc) to the point where google phones seem kind of superfluous, well mission accomplished i guess

the nexus line is dead. it was a total failure in accomplishing any of those goals.

the pixel line is a mass market oriented product. google has thousands of employees working on it, unlike nexus which was a low budget operation. their burn rate is well into the hundreds of millions, likely billions of dollars per year. this is a product designed to make money, not a showcase product to push the industry. their goal is not to become superfluous, it’s to rake in the big money that Apple and Samsung get.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's google so the goal is to get people promoted before it inevitably gets cancelled.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
speaking of

https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1196489420351901696

that is an example of it working well

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

who could have predicted

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

almost perfectly

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
he's using it wrong, you're suppose use google fiber

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Perplx posted:

he's using it wrong, you're suppose use google fiber

they bought metamucil as well?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
seems redundant, they've already cornered the market on poo poo

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
the funny thing is if google just invested in a manufacturer without loving meddling they might have a good phone. they literally don't need to do anything, just purchase a majority in a manufacturer. that's it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

motorola was NOT making good phones

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the head of google’s hardware division is a former Motorola executive. still not making good phones.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

i don't know if this is a joke or not. there are so many android phones i can't tell.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

motorola at the time of the google buyout was in full swing with UI customization bullshit and stupid hardware gimmicks with poo poo like the thunderbolt shipping with lte radios before they could actually be viable with a normal capacity battery or that pile of poo poo xoom tablet. the hope was that the google buyout would force them to do stock OS so you were only dealing with poo poo hardware instead of both software and hardware because Google was on a big push at the time to make OEMs support their devices for longer than 6mo but like everything they abandoned the initiative and motorola itself

e: ah poo poo thunderbolt was htc, droid 3 was their failed attempt at lte

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 19, 2019

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I haven’t heard someone’s phone loudly screeching DROID when messages or whatever came in for a very long time

rip

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

android: what if any app could just use your camera and microphone, like, whenever, man?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

so just reverting to the model from the first 9 or whatever versions of android where permissions were all or nothing?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
droid was a pretty good brand tho imo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pram posted:

droid was a pretty good brand tho imo

motorola had to pay license fees to lucas to use the word "droid" so it was a good but expensive brand

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

motorola had to pay license fees to lucas to use the word "droid" so it was a good but expensive brand
it was paid for by verizon since the brand was exclusive to them, and there was even a samsung droid at one point

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
droid was an rear end in a top hat magnet brand.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

much unlike google pixel series which only attracted pinnacles of humanity

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The Management posted:

it was a manly brand for manly men too manly too handle the feminine curves of a Crapple iShit [img-android mascot eating apple logo and spraying poo poo everywhere]

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Bulgakov posted:

I haven’t heard someone’s phone loudly screeching DROID when messages or whatever came in for a very long time

rip

one of my favorite android moments was in a meeting a very loud “droid” followed by someone asking “does anyone know how to turn off notifications in ice cream sandwich?”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Vomik posted:

ice cream sandwich?”

thank you

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i had an original droid and towards the end of week 1 it deleted all of my text message conversations after the text app crashed. the blinking light thing for notifications is one thing i do miss from anroid tho

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Motorola had AND STILL has the worst notification and ringtones, and defaults to the shrillest ones.

The Motorola Xoom was absolute poo poo when it was on Honeycomb, and became semi usable when ICS hit.
I still think it was a better use of my company's money compared to the Blackberry Playbook.

Thanks For Reading My Takes,

CoolRanch

CoolRanch fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 20, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CoolRanch posted:

Motorola had AND STILL has the worst notification and ringtones, and defaults to the shrillest ones.

The Motorola Xoom was absolute poo poo when it was on Honeycomb, and became semi usable when ICS hit.
I still think it was a better use of my company's money compared to the Blackberry Playbook.

Thanks For Reading My Takes,

CoolRanch

ice cream sandwich

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/AllGamesDelta_/status/1196833081082204160

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1196880617369145362

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1196882069160251392

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1196911461173354496

https://twitter.com/strikeharbinger/status/1196896009374195713

pram
Jun 10, 2001

loving lol

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

haha lol

google’d again

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lmao, stadia bringing back the old school google laughs.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
to be fair they are putting it next to the other failures so it fits

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

to be fair they are putting it next to the other failures so it fits

incredible, can’t believe no one pointed that out yet

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

top to bottom comedy.

there are multiple video game museums, googlers afraid of their precious shrink wrapped consoles being damaged, the selected “artifacts”, the amateurish display, “arrogance” of using power glove.

the biggest lol of them all is of course stadia

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

goddamn. those are some powerful lols this early in the day.

they seriously could not have planned this better. it is absolutely perfect.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Aren't the Powerglove, Atari ET, and the Dreamcast all failed products?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah, yeah, yeah.