Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"Chewbacca. Chewbacca McClunkey."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Owlbear Camus posted:

"Chewbacca. Chewbacca McClunkey."

His name is Chewbacca Chewbacca. His brother is Chewbacca MacLunkey. They are the Chewbacca bros.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

More like maclunkey writing

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

errbuddy posted:

Viewing order talk

I think at this point the only thing that holds all 9 films together is that they make it so obvious the "Lucas had a plan" meme needs to die in a fire.

Best orders to watch:

1 > 2 > 3 > done. Except the Harmy Despecialized Editions. People who whine that they were never that good are probably used to seeing the "special editions". In fact for serious film fans I'd say look for the grindhouse cut, where someone lowered the quality with scratches like a third-generation film print, which is closer to how you would have seen it if you'd been there at the time. Watching the movies in better quality than most people saw them in theaters feels weird to me.

Release order, except have the Plinkett reviews handy to wash your brain out after the pre and post quels.

...and those are the only acceptable orders.

Kaincypher posted:

the vast majority of known world do indeed, have a singe biome (although since none of the known ones have lifeforms, I suppose that's a fair argument).

False.

Just to take our neighbor since that's an area we may colonize first. Luna is tidally locked with Earth so your view is non-trivially different depending on where your dome is. The lack of serious atmosphere means there's not much weather to remark on, which makes people think about a lack of biomes. But there are zones in the semi-permanent shadows of craters where water is more likely to be found, so it's possible that some colonies will live in semi-permanent shadow farming water while their neighbors spend a lot more of their life braving the solar radiation to get energy. People who live on the far side may live their whole lives without ever seeing Earth except on TV, and the surface is notably different since the far side is basically our asteroid shield and it shows. And that's just talking about the moon, which is like the least interesting possible world in terms of biomes short of coring out an asteroid a la The Expanse.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Has the Skywalker risen yet?

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

it's one rise, many skywalkers.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

revwinnebago posted:

False.

Just to take our neighbor since that's an area we may colonize first. Luna is tidally locked with Earth so your view is non-trivially different depending on where your dome is. The lack of serious atmosphere means there's not much weather to remark on, which makes people think about a lack of biomes. But there are zones in the semi-permanent shadows of craters where water is more likely to be found, so it's possible that some colonies will live in semi-permanent shadow farming water while their neighbors spend a lot more of their life braving the solar radiation to get energy. People who live on the far side may live their whole lives without ever seeing Earth except on TV, and the surface is notably different since the far side is basically our asteroid shield and it shows. And that's just talking about the moon, which is like the least interesting possible world in terms of biomes short of coring out an asteroid a la The Expanse.

yeah not all lifeless space rocks are the same. there are a wide variety of temperatures, vacuums, poison gases, corrosive rain, and radiations that can all kill you in different ways. space is kind of like The Abyss from D&D

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

my dog died im sad posted:

Has the Skywalker risen yet?

the skywalker was up late last night and is sleeping in

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Archer666 posted:

*insert gif of Spaceballs: The Flame Thrower here*

Now that TROS is coming out, we need whoever has the rights to Spaceballs to put Spaceballs II: The Search for More Money into development. Like, immediately.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Laterite posted:

So new Star Wars is out in a month, but there doesn't seem to any anticipation or major media push. No advance leaks, releases, or reviews so far. Will it flop? Does anyone care?I

The Mandalorian is good.

Pretty sure Disney is just pushing it out as quickly as possible because fan engagement with the sequel trilogy is near zero. They're hedging their bets of the future of Star Wars with TV series like The Mandalorian, the Cassian Andor Rogue One prequel series, the Obi-Wan show, and whatever else they're working on, which is a much better idea because The Rise of Skywalker is loving dead-on-arrival.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 19, 2019

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I'm just gonna say it: JJ Abrams sucks. Yea I said it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
JJ Suckems

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
bad robot, more like bad movie man

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I heard that in the original script for Solo Han asks chewie what his name is, and then he replies in clear English "Chewbacca", and this good good joke is the reason Kasdan started working to get Lord & Miller fired.

haha, why must we live in the timeline where we can't have anything good

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Pretty sure Disney is just pushing it out as quickly as possible because fan engagement with the sequel trilogy is near zero. They're hedging their bets of the future of Star Wars with TV series like The Mandalorian, the Cassian Andor Rogue One prequel series, the Obi-Wan show, and whatever else they're working on, which is a much better idea because The Rise of Skywalker is loving dead-on-arrival.

It really is telling that pretty much all material (that anyone cares about) outside the sequel trilogy itself is set in the OT or prequels. Nobody gives a gently caress about the sequel era. The Battlefront series only included as part of collection of all eras, and never expanded the small amount of release content for it, despite significant expansions of OT and clone wars content (especially clone wars). The new Jedi game by Respawn is in the OT era. Even tabletop games have focused on OT or clone content.

The sequel era is a non-starter for any supplementary products. Those movies can't move any other product despite people still gobbling up OT and prequel era stuff. The Mandalorian is OT. The Cassian Andor thing will obviously be OT. The Obi-Wan show could be prequel or OT or both, but it won't be sequel. lol even Disney knows the sequel trilogy is a dead IP if they're making three television shows and none of them will involve the sequel era at all. And meanwhile video games avoid it like the plague. It is a monumental failure for the brand.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Like there's definitely a story to tell, a compelling and relevant one, about a nihilistic fascist movement cargo-culting one that was defeated a generation ago and creeping in around the fringes of a vulnerable democracy to destroy it.

There's a fine line between sketching in very light worldbuilding and focusing mostly on theme and characters, and completely failing to do any world-building, and I think this is where the sequel trilogy belly-flops. It really needs something like the Death Star briefing room scene or the Vader-Bast walk-and-talk to fill in the margins just the tiniest bit for the world these characters live in (without going full on Galactic C-Span like the prequels).

There's some geniunely good stuff in the sequels, actors doing their best and delivering great performances to make us care about the characters, some plot beats and setpieces that really sing like Luke's astral projection showdown. But yeah I think it was mostly a misfire.

Is the "Resistance" cartoon still getting new seasons?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Owlbear Camus posted:

Is the "Resistance" cartoon still getting new seasons?

Resistance got shitcanned because nobody watched it. They’re gonna make another season of Clone Wars instead

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I don't think you can have a nihilistic fascist movement. Say whatever you will about fascists they have an ethos :cheeky:

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

The Bothan is not the issue here dude

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

am i the only one around here who gives a poo poo about the jedi code?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Owlbear Camus posted:

am i the only one around here who gives a poo poo about the jedi code?

lol the jedi don't even give a poo poo about the jedi code

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I hate the fuckin’ Max Rebo Band, man!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Chomp8645 posted:

The sequel era is a non-starter for any supplementary products. Those movies can't move any other product despite people still gobbling up OT and prequel era stuff. The Mandalorian is OT. The Cassian Andor thing will obviously be OT. The Obi-Wan show could be prequel or OT or both, but it won't be sequel. lol even Disney knows the sequel trilogy is a dead IP if they're making three television shows and none of them will involve the sequel era at all. And meanwhile video games avoid it like the plague. It is a monumental failure for the brand.

The Obi-Wan series is confirmed to take place between 3 and 4 during the post-war Empire era, so yeah, Disney is literally giving up on their sequel trilogy before the final movie even premieres. :laugh:

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 19, 2019

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

well they have to, Rey is going to erase it through time travel

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm tentatively hoping Kenobi is good, McGregor was one of the highlights of the prequels even when he was navigating clumsy as hell dialogue. The Mandalorian apparently being good raises my hopes that they can at least get the TV shows right.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The Obi-Wan series is being directed solely by Deborah Chow, who has a fairly solid resume and directed 2 episodes of The Mandalorian too, so I'd say it has a decent chance of being a good time considering they got Ewan McGregor back and seem to understand what people actually want to see from an Obi-Wan prequel series. I had very low expectations from the previously killed movie, but a TV series that lets McGregor and the material breathe seems cool.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 19, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What DO people want to see from an Obi Wan series? I have no idea what they'd do but my ideal would be like "Highway to Heaven" in space

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

What DO people want to see from an Obi Wan series? I have no idea what they'd do but my ideal would be like "Highway to Heaven" in space

That might be what the show's gonna be like based on the vague synopsis and I hope you're right.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 19, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i'd like to see his adventures living in a cave and eating jawas for the next 30 galactic years

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
that Han Solo in carbonite really tied the room together, man

holy poo poo, this is now what I want

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
12 straight hours of a man practicing his krayt dragon calls.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

I'd like to see Obi-Wan just living a full on hedonist life out in the desert. Doing space drugs and dipping his wick in space strange.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

One part character study of Obi-Wan ruminating over the failures of the Jedi in general and his failure of Anakin in particular, and one part Kung Fu/Highway to Heaven where Obi-Wan wanders Tatooine helping the locals against a slowly escalating Imperial occupation. A nice mix of Obi-Wan doing cool poo poo while also getting to watch him work through what is certainly the darkest chapter of his life, and see his transition from cocksure warrior in the Prequel-centric content to wisened mentor in the OT.

What I don't want: Darth Maul (this is already hosed based on the trailer so hopefully he at least gets minimal focus) or Obi-Wan swinging his laser dick all over the place every episode. IMO the less we see of lightsabers the better, because it'll force the writers to be creative about how Obi-Wan helps to resist the Empire while also not compromising his Jedi status and putting himself and Luke in danger.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

they should probably just make content where the jedi aren't prats, instead of devoting time to ruminating on what prats the prequels turned them into.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean yeah, I'd like them to try making 100% original content too. But that's never going to happen, so I'd at least like it if their endless rehashing was a bit more interesting.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Give hin some romantic plots. We've seen celebate monk-knight obi wan, now that he's wandering tatooine like kane from kung fu with no Order to be beholden to, give us an Obi Wan who FUCKS.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Touched by a Jedi

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Didn't he have a love interest in the Clone Wars series? Just bring her back. "Obi-Wan runs into his ex" is the classic mid-season comedy filler episode producers love.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Give hin some romantic plots. We've seen celebate monk-knight obi wan, now that he's wandering tatooine like kane from kung fu with no Order to be beholden to, give us an Obi Wan who FUCKS.

He's out there fighting the Empire, then it's back to the cave for more full penetration. Empire, full penetration, empire, full penetration. And then this goes on for roughly 90 minutes or so until the movie just sort of ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sydin posted:

Didn't he have a love interest in the Clone Wars series? Just bring her back. "Obi-Wan runs into his ex" is the classic mid-season comedy filler episode producers love.

She got shanked by Darth Maul