Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
no kidding though, i really wanted a steinberger just because of jerry casale, maybe i should take the plunge

TheQuietWilds posted:

Totally just my opinion but if you’ve got a PBass and shorty Jagbass, my next move would either be something with active electronics and a B string or a fretless.

fretless intrigues/scares me, but it could be fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Elissimpark posted:

*in a very early nineties voice
Get something headless...

*in the Field of Dreams voice
Go the distance...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxwlDFfFrEY

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

no kidding though, i really wanted a steinberger just because of jerry casale, maybe i should take the plunge

https://eastwoodguitars.com/products/la-baye-2x4-bass

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

As the owner of a headless Hohner Jack bass, the only annoying thing about headless, is the strings - stupid double balls. Though you can get string adapters, but no idea how reliable they are.

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Go the distance...

Oh. My. God.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Does anyone have opinions about bass synth pedals like that Boss bass synth? My new 3 piece is doing a lot of 80s and 90s and it would be nice to have some different sounds.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I've heard a lot of good things about the Source Audio C4 synth pedal. Both the Boss and Source Audio are reported to have good pitch tracking, which is pretty critical for synth effects.

No direct experience with the Source Audio or with the Boss, but I am very tempted to buy a C4 for synthy goodness. Its tiny form factor will fit better with my board setup.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Schwza posted:

Does anyone have opinions about bass synth pedals like that Boss bass synth? My new 3 piece is doing a lot of 80s and 90s and it would be nice to have some different sounds.

MarkBass Super Synth is fantastic. Doubles as an octaver as well. The presets are great, and you can tweak them a fair bit on the pedal itself, plus you can download some controller software for your PC or Mac to further tweak and save presets.

I had an old Boss SYB-3 for a long time and it was fun, but tracking was a little spotty.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Tracking seems to be the biggest issue with the stuff I've tried. I'll head up to Sam Ash tomorrow and see what they have to mess around with.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Go the distance...

What... wh-wha... wussa... huh?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Schwza posted:

I had one. Tracking is OK at best, but that's par for the course when it comes to bass synth pedals. I had it on my board for a year. Never once turned it on during an actual song. It's no longer on my board; I traded it for an MXR Bass Overdrive to complement my EH Deluxe Big Bass Muff, and I actually use those pedals. In the end, it was a fun little toy, but it's just not terribly useful in real-world situations. Maybe, maybe if you dial in one tone you like, and use just that tone here and there. But the knobs, while functional, make it impossible to tweak while on stage during a gig.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Still working on learning to be consistent at slapping on the upright bass, but at least my right hand has calloused enough that I can do a proper half-hour of that after spending time on arco. It’s just so drat fun and percussive - got to sit and jam with a friend on an acoustic, and it sounds full enough that it’s like having a drummer when we got locked into a good groove.

Ear skills are improving - been running scales over a drone to get better at correcting intonation, as well as transcribing bass parts for dumb psychobilly songs. Wish I could keep up with half of them, because I love the sound, but I’ll be content with my 75% speed play-alongs to Tiger Army songs for the time being before trying to go too crazy. Should sit down and work out some Nekromantix songs because they’re weirdly goofy and catchy while having some fantastic bass parts.

Early Elvis is a fuckin’ jam, too.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Hey folks, my Jazz Bass has quickly become my favorite instrument and I have been using it on a lot of my productions lately. My playing is mediocre at best, but for the type of music I am making (boom bap hip-hop), it hasn't held me back too much. The thing I am struggling with is figuring out the best way to record into Ableton. Right now I plug my bass directly into my Scarlett 18i8 mic/inst input and route it to a track in Ableton. On that track I have the free version of Amplitube as my amp sim. The free version isn't bad, but it is pretty limited. If I have a budget of $200-$300, what would be the best investment for recording bass into Ableton? I think I need to stick with DI since buying an amplifier + microphone would likely be too expensive and I don't have the best acoustic space for recording bass. Would there be value in some sort of DI box? I know a buddy of mine uses an Avalon DI (not sure which model) that sounds amazing, but those are a bit out of my price range.

One other question since I am also having a hard time with finding certain tones. How would I get the bass tone from the video below? Bass comes in at about the 1:00 mark. It sounds so drat smooth but still has some of that bite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31erJCYsWVg

For reference, here is a track I put out recently that features some bass I recorded into Ableton. I don't think the tone is bad, but there definitely isn't anything very interesting about it and I feel like there is something I am missing about how to record or produce bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlCsW9q_3X0

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Give a Sansamp a try, they're designed for pretty much exactly what you're doing: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BassDriverV2--tech-21-sansamp-bass-driver-di-v2

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Also, consider spending that money on a decent set of VST plug-ins: get a good amp sim that has bass amps in it, and definitely get some bass cabinet IR's. The best investment you can make is in some good IRs, and you can get decent ones cheap. For bass, there isn't a lot out there for free, sadly. But, there is some. There's one that is based on a GK setup, but it's super-limited in its free form; if you use Cakewalk, it comes with an amp/IR plug-in that has a few bass options that you might enjoy.

Even with a SansAmp or something similar (or going direct out from an amp to your interface), you'll want an IR set. You'll be amazed at how adding virtual speakers makes it sound instantly much better. An amp sim alone isn't usually enough.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Seacow Cabs has a decent quantity of bass IR packs, and all are free. I blend my direct tone with a Seacow Darkglass 410 IR in my HX Stomp, and it gets the job done well for me.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Anime Reference posted:

Give a Sansamp a try, they're designed for pretty much exactly what you're doing: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BassDriverV2--tech-21-sansamp-bass-driver-di-v2

Thanks for the recommendation! I have never bought gear to demo and normally grab stuff from my local Guitar Center since my buddy gives me his Friends & Family discount. There a better route to go if I end up wanting to return it?

tarlibone posted:

Also, consider spending that money on a decent set of VST plug-ins: get a good amp sim that has bass amps in it, and definitely get some bass cabinet IR's. The best investment you can make is in some good IRs, and you can get decent ones cheap. For bass, there isn't a lot out there for free, sadly. But, there is some. There's one that is based on a GK setup, but it's super-limited in its free form; if you use Cakewalk, it comes with an amp/IR plug-in that has a few bass options that you might enjoy.

Even with a SansAmp or something similar (or going direct out from an amp to your interface), you'll want an IR set. You'll be amazed at how adding virtual speakers makes it sound instantly much better. An amp sim alone isn't usually enough.

Any recommendations for amp sims? I am using the free version of Amplitube and have demoed the Softube Bass Amp plugin as well. I don't really know if I prefer one over the other but a lot of that has to do with only having a very limited set of features in the Amplitube demo. I feel like I have been able to get decent (if limited) tones from both, but that has required some processing in Ableton (eq, rbass, etc).

Also, I feel dumb but I am not sure I understand Impulse Responses. Looked online but seemed to only find articles recommending various IR's but not much explanation of what they are or how they work within your DAW.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I'll second the Sansamp solution. I have the standard sansamp for bass and the discontinued PSA (which has been remade in pedal form), but I hear a lot of great things about the character VT bass DI (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SACVTBass2DI--tech-21-sansamp-character-series-vt-bass-di). This version is supposed to be an emulation of an Ampeg rig in a box.

I've generally used my pedal for live use and I recently got the rack unit on Reverb. The PSA is supposedly a sansamp for anything and everything. I think it sounds good, but I'm not really picky about tone.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I don't really have any suggestions, sorry to say. You might want to do some googling on it. I only ever record demos, and I use the free stuff in Cakewalk. But, the guitarist in the band I was in had some good stuff. Maybe it was from IK Media? Like, the full version of Amplitube, I think. That was one of them. He had a bunch of stuff.

For a long while, I was just recording straight from my pedal into my interface, and it was OK-ish. It was hollow-sounding, even with the pedal's amp sim and SansAmpSim. There was a little too much on the high end, and no amount of EQ could even it out enough to make it sound really good. When I finally figured out what VSTs were, I ran straight from my bass into the interface, added an amp sim and some cabinets, and the result was pretty drat good. Not as good as playing through my amp and having it mic'ed, but much better than just pedal -> interface.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Rifter17 posted:

I'll second the Sansamp solution. I have the standard sansamp for bass and the discontinued PSA (which has been remade in pedal form), but I hear a lot of great things about the character VT bass DI (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SACVTBass2DI--tech-21-sansamp-character-series-vt-bass-di). This version is supposed to be an emulation of an Ampeg rig in a box.

Just be sure an emulation of an Ampeg SVT rig is what you want if you go with that VTbass. It does a great job of emulating the tones of a particular (undeniably classic) amp, but for that reason it colors the tone a lot and can be pretty limiting if that particular sound isn’t what you want. Just like you wouldn’t buy a Marshall-stack-in-a-box pedal if what you really want is a perfect Fender tweed sound or whatever.

I don’t think the standard Bass Driver can do what the VTBass does, but I do think it makes it easier to dial in just a solid straightforward bass tone that can then be messed with however you want as far as adding effects or what have you.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

MrSargent posted:

Also, I feel dumb but I am not sure I understand Impulse Responses. Looked online but seemed to only find articles recommending various IR's but not much explanation of what they are or how they work within your DAW.

You need a plugin to use them - they're basically like a sonic fingerprint. If you have some source audio, the stuff you run it through, the environment you hear it in, all that changes the final sound. You can record that transformation by using a specific signal as your source, and recording the result, and calculating how the signal is transformed over time

So an IR is basically that translation, and you can make your bass sound like it's been run through a particular amp, or it's being recorded with a particular cab miked up a specific way, or like it's in a concert hall... you can simulate anything really, so long as you can get an IR produced from that setup

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

baka kaba posted:

You need a plugin to use them - they're basically like a sonic fingerprint. If you have some source audio, the stuff you run it through, the environment you hear it in, all that changes the final sound. You can record that transformation by using a specific signal as your source, and recording the result, and calculating how the signal is transformed over time

So an IR is basically that translation, and you can make your bass sound like it's been run through a particular amp, or it's being recorded with a particular cab miked up a specific way, or like it's in a concert hall... you can simulate anything really, so long as you can get an IR produced from that setup

Thank you, that is a great description and makes a lot of sense. I am looking at IK's website and see that Amplitube 4 is on sale and am seriously considering picking it up.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
i stumbled across this unconscionable act of depravity and went apoplectic

this is a crime. thankfully the neck appears to be original and untouched by the hand of whatever raving lunatic did this.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

scuz posted:

i stumbled across this unconscionable act of depravity and went apoplectic

this is a crime. thankfully the neck appears to be original and untouched by the hand of whatever raving lunatic did this.

You mean listing an old post-CBS Fender for the approximate price of a new G&L?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Rifter17 posted:

You mean listing an old post-CBS Fender for the approximate price of a new G&L?

b-but it has magic decades old...tonewood?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I was being melodramatic but idk I don't think I could bring myself to modify a p-bass that old. The bridge looks weird, too.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
That bridge is a definite upgrade. The pickup swap probably is too. It's an older instrument, but it was from a time that Fender didn't really have that high of quality. I dunno, find a junky Tiesco from the 60's and you'll soon realize that age ain't necessarily a good thing.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
People are starting to care about Norlin Gibsons now so I guess it was inevitable that they'd start caring about CBS Fenders too.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Rifter17 posted:

That bridge is a definite upgrade. The pickup swap probably is too. It's an older instrument, but it was from a time that Fender didn't really have that high of quality. I dunno, find a junky Tiesco from the 60's and you'll soon realize that age ain't necessarily a good thing.

It's not that there aren't high quality Fender guitars and basses from the 70s, it's that the QC was a bit all over the place, especially in the late 70s.

That bass may play and sound wonderful, but $1,200 is a stretch for it not being all original. Hell, you can't even tell it's a '71 without some more examination and/or better pics.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Basically just a custom Jazz with a nice neck. Still an overestimate in selling price, I’d open with $900.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Re-tube and re-bias your svt 3 pro without cooking the power stage? Solid loving win. Saved big money on labour.

Fresh off the win you plug in a random bass and realize the output jack of the bass needs to be replaced... :sigh:

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Been "playing" guitar for a long time but decided to get serious again and started taking lessons a couple months ago, I just bought a bass and amp to round things out and had a lot of fun over the last few days playing around. Maybe I should have been a bassist from the beginning?

Picked up a Squier Jazz affinity in silver and Fender Rumble 100 amp from musician's friend with the 15% off by calling in

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-affinity-jazz-bass/l34949000004000?rNtt=jazz%20affinity%20squier&index=1

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm trying to teach myself to produce some music and starting off by making some of those lofi hip hop beats that I listen to all day at work. I want to play live bass on these even though I don't think that's super common for the genre. Does anyone have any tips for EQing or just generally getting a bass tone that fits into that kind of spacey laid back mix? Right now I'm plugged direct into my audio interface but I'm using Logic so I have access to all of those simulated amps and effects and so on.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Roll off the treble and add some saturation is where I would start with lofi. Maybe some chorusing too?

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

prom candy posted:

I'm trying to teach myself to produce some music and starting off by making some of those lofi hip hop beats that I listen to all day at work. I want to play live bass on these even though I don't think that's super common for the genre. Does anyone have any tips for EQing or just generally getting a bass tone that fits into that kind of spacey laid back mix? Right now I'm plugged direct into my audio interface but I'm using Logic so I have access to all of those simulated amps and effects and so on.

Post some songs you like, and we can hear what you're going for.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

NonzeroCircle posted:

Roll off the treble and add some saturation is where I would start with lofi. Maybe some chorusing too?

This is sounding pretty good, it seems like killing most of the harmonics is key.

Pokey Araya posted:

Post some songs you like, and we can hear what you're going for.

Stuff like this (bass comes in at 0:44 or so) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtqWe7OfIoo

Seems like a lot of lofi actually doesn't use a bass line at all and just absolutely pumps the bass on the kick and i think sidechains the rest of the track, like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8NegB0_Ux4

I also like this track that MrSargent posted upthread https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlCsW9q_3X0

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

prom candy posted:

Stuff like this (bass comes in at 0:44 or so) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtqWe7OfIoo

Get some flatwounds if you don't already have them.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

welp a month after getting my mij jaguar bass fixed theres now a really loud hissing sound that wont go away even with the volume all the way down. is this a grounding issue? i think ive spent enough money repairing this thing in the years ive owned it to buy a brand new high end american fender. i kinda want to yank all the guts out of it and convert it into a standard jbass without all the switches but also kinda of sick of dumping money into this thing.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

ASenileAnimal posted:

welp a month after getting my mij jaguar bass fixed theres now a really loud hissing sound that wont go away even with the volume all the way down. is this a grounding issue? i think ive spent enough money repairing this thing in the years ive owned it to buy a brand new high end american fender. i kinda want to yank all the guts out of it and convert it into a standard jbass without all the switches but also kinda of sick of dumping money into this thing.

Hissing?

A bad ground can cause an incessant buzzing sound, and turning down the volume sometimes won't help. Are you able to get any other sound to come out of the amp? (That is, does it still play, but with the hiss/buzz when the volume is up?)

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

ASenileAnimal posted:

Maybe the battery needs to be swapped? It has an active circuit, right? That might be an easy fix. My experience with low batteries (Sting Ray 5) is that I get clipping when playing harder. Some basses will play a constant tone (Yamaha does this).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

tarlibone posted:

Hissing?

A bad ground can cause an incessant buzzing sound, and turning down the volume sometimes won't help. Are you able to get any other sound to come out of the amp? (That is, does it still play, but with the hiss/buzz when the volume is up?)

it still plays but the hiss/buzz is there at all volumes in both active and passive mode.