Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for calling my SIL a selfish oval office on her wedding day?

quote:

After the wedding we were all ushered to the reception hall where we endured a 2 hour long choreographed program where the bride's father (who also officiated the wedding) first roasted our brother for 30 minutes about how he wasn't good enough and how he had made all these mistakes over the last couple years but how when my brother asked permission to marry his daughter it made everything better and now he's in the inner circle. Then father and bride did a choreographed dance, then the bridesmaids did a choreographed dance routine, then there was a toast where the bride's father once again talked for 30 goddamn minutes. We were never given the opportunity to say anything as part of the toast. There was no dancing, etc., just a 2 hour reception where we were all held hostage by the father of the bride and his microphone.

This cannot be anyone's idea of a good time at a wedding. It's like an experimental CIA torture technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Me [25 M] with my wife [23F], she informs me at sisters wedding she had slept with best man (long)

A pity he doesn't have more of a spine, because it seems like one of the few advantages of marrying young is that you can divorce young and still have a whole lot of you life ahead of you for a second try

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The 3rd update. He's almost there but doesn't stick the landing. Blue balls the size of Violet Beauregarde.

(3rd update)Me [25 M] with my wife [23F], she informs me at sisters wedding she had slept with best man

quote:

Thank you all who keep sending me messages of encouragement and wondering what has happened. For those of you who have asked me to give you an update, here is a brief one.

I've been staying with my brother for a little over a month. I can not say enough nice words about him, he has bent over backwards to help me and I've come to appreciate him in a whole new way. Growing up we were close but never really close if you know what I mean. This has shown me that our bond is much stronger than I ever imagined it was.

The big news is that I have delivered her with divorce papers. Now before those of you who wanted me to dump her jump for joy let me explain something.

I went to a divorce lawyer and explained everything including the fact that I did not want to go through with the divorce but wanted everything in place just in case. He drew up a divorce decree and made three copies. One he kept on file, one for her and one for me.

I decided to take the paperwork to her myself because I knew she would be upset and I wanted to explain to her what was happening.

I gave her the paperwork in a manila envelope and explained what it was before she opened it. I also made very clear to her that I was not going to do anything with it unless we both failed to meet the conditions we both agreed upon. I explained that I was committed to us but I really needed to see that we were headed in the right direction and that this was only there as a standby in case she didn't think I was serious.

Well this did not go over as well as I had hoped and in retrospect this was a mistake on my part. She had been doing everything in her power prior to that to live up to the agreement, we had been out on several dates prior to this that were great for both of us. In other words my timing sucked. My intention was good but it did make it look like I was not acknowledging the steps she was taking to make this work. This led to another giant anxiety attack that we could not get under control with her meds so off to the E.R. we went again. This time they gave her a shot and sent her home and we both agreed that we would keep her family out of it this time. I stayed with her for two day just to make sure she was ok. This of course came up in our counseling session and well let's just say that I came across looking like a manipulative rear end in a top hat (which again in retrospect I was). I ended up taking my copy and her copy and tearing it up in front of her. She doesn't know there is a third copy but I plan on having him discard that as well.

So now I pretty much feel like a monster because the look on her face when she got the divorce papers was something I never want to see again. She was so happy to see me that day and then I gave her that and then instant combination of sadness and terror.

Other than that bump in the road things have actually been going very well. Well enough in fact that I am moving back home this weekend. My brother has been great but I am cramping his style no matter what he say's. It's been fun playing X-Box every night though I won't deny it.

But mostly I am going home because she has done everything I have asked of her and I have put her through hell. I think she's paid a steep enough price and I know she knows how serious this was.

Also in case I didn't mention this before, I do love her. She made a very stupid selfish mistake but it was years ago and she had been almost the perfect wife up until that discovery.

So I'm sorry to disappoint many of you and I'm sure I will once again get many pm's telling me that I am a cuckhold and an embarrassment to all men but I don't live your lives and you don't live mine.

So this should be it, there hopefully will be nothing to update going forward. We are not cured or healed by any sense of the imagination but we are on our way and it's just going to take time, patience and understanding.

tl;dr: gave wife divorce papers with the intention of never using them. this blew up in my face, damage control ensued. ultimately I'm moving back in with her and we are working on things

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

To think that idiot nearly stumbled accidentally into the right move

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

I gave her the paperwork in a manila envelope and explained what it was before she opened it. I also made very clear to her that I was not going to do anything with it unless we both failed to meet the conditions we both agreed upon. I explained that I was committed to us but I really needed to see that we were headed in the right direction and that this was only there as a standby in case she didn't think I was serious. posted:

That line of reasoning is dumb as gently caress

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Beachcomber posted:

I can't recover the 2nd update to the cheating Wife, but he has a comment that says more about her headspace, and it's a trip.

We got so much cheating here, I can't place where this one belongs to

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

This thread has led me to the conclusion that the divorce rate is not too high, but in fact, far too low

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The thing about her reasoning that cheating stops counting after you get church married is that she’s basically saying, “husband, I have to tell you, there’s another man I care about and want to make happy more than you, and his name is Jesus Christ”

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Power Khan posted:

We got so much cheating here, I can't place where this one belongs to

(2nd update)Me [25 M] with my wife [23F], she informs me at sisters wedding she had slept with best man

Editing it in.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Me [25 M] with my wife [23F], she informs me at sisters wedding she had slept with best man (long)

Ok, there it is. loving insane.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
How can I (29F) support my brother (36M) who has a horrible child (10M) that's ruining his life?
Here's everyone involved:

Me, 29F

My husband, 29M

Our daughter is 5 months old

My brother 36M

His wife 34F

Their kids, 10M in the title, and 6F

A few months ago my brother and his family came to visit us. It had been a very busy and exhausting few weeks since I'd had my daughter like anyone with a newborn will know. I was feeling well enough to see them and let them properly meet her.

We were in the backyard eating lunch. My niece found a furry brown caterpillar in the bushes. The kids were told not to touch it because it could be poisonous. Around 20-30 mins later, my daughter starts screaming. Right as I looked and started going over to her I see my nephew stepping away from her bounce seat. I instantly knew he'd done something. There were red blotches all over her neck and cheek. When I picked her up, the caterpillar was there on the seat where her head had been.

In total panic my husband and I rushed to the ER. My brother and his family stayed at the house. By the time we got there the whole side of her face had swelled up and she was shrieking nonstop. Doctor diagnosed pretty quickly, there were caterpillar spines lodged under her skin like we'd assumed.

My nephew must have broken off the twig with the caterpillar (he hadn't been stung) then as soon as no one was looking while my daughter was asleep, he rubbed it on her face.

I called my brother from the hospital, he confronted my nephew who eventually claimed he just "accidentally dropped it". He had no remorse as usual.

My husband and I had to be interviewed by a child welfare worker. She talked to my brother who drove over to explain what had happened. It was a very long ordeal, I didn't blame her or the hospital people for doing their job at all and in the end my husband and I weren't at fault for doing anything wrong, but it was very exhausting to deal with.

This was the absolute last straw for us. I was furious with this child. Enraged doesn't even begin to describe it. I was/am also frankly terrified for my brother's family even though I know how stupid that must sound.

That weekend my husband and I had a long conversation with my brother and his wife on videochat after they'd gotten home. They are well aware something is very wrong with their son. They don't downplay his behavior at all. He scares them. When they punish him, he doesn't care. He doesn't react to any criticism, yelling, or logical argument, but he'll find a way to get revenge even if it's weeks later. He also doesn't care about rewards for good behavior. There's very little he openly cares about that they can use as leverage, and he seems to outright prefer doing destructive things more than anything they might take away or try to bribe him with.

He's arranged tacks sitting upright on the floor outside their door that my brother's wife stepped on.

He's pooped on their bed and once left poop and urine in every drawer of their clothes.

He floods the bathroom by letting the tub overflow and leaves the gas stove on. He'll use the stove to play with fire when no one's around, and several times has set off the smoke detector in the middle of the night.

They were all getting sick except him at one point and my SIL caught him mixing cleaner fluid into some leftover soup.

He has done countless things to hurt and scare his younger sister like cutting off her hair while sleeping, putting chili pepper powder in her underwear, telling her someone is coming to kidnap her or kill their parents, and once caught a garden snake that he dropped in the tub while she was having a bubble bath. Those are just the ones that first jump to mind.

He also is cruel to animals. Pulls wings off insects, cuts up worms, thinks it's funny to scare cats and dogs. They had a couple hamsters, one mysteriously died and the other they thought had escaped until it was found in a box under his bed with no legs.

He tries to blame things he does on his sister including the caterpillar but my brother knows what's going on. Doesn't stop him from constantly lying to anyone and everyone.

They do not know what to do. He's apparently very well-behaved at school, so his teachers have never seen any of this. There have been a couple times when he injured himself on purpose and then told a teacher he was being hit at home. Resulted in a CPS investigation both times. It was also conveniently right before parent-teacher conference week. My brother and his wife were never able to bring up their concerns or have a good rapport with those teachers then because they clearly believed they were child abusers.

They've brought him to several child psychologists but he lies to them, either acting perfectly normal or telling them the same stories about how his parents are crazy or abusive, so they can't take him to anyone now in case they get investigated again. They're terrified that one day an accusation is going to stick and they'll lose their daughter, not to mention the legal consequences.

I told them that as long as their son is hurting people, lying, and incapable of behaving, he cannot be in my daughter's presence. They have abided by this since then.

The problem is, we miss seeing each other! They live a couple hours away and we used to visit a few times a year. They're already socially isolated because trying to manage their son takes so much of their time and energy. My SIL's family has also banned him from being around their children. He's been banned from other kids' houses and between that and the rumors that my brother and SIL are abusive, they've been slowly frozen out of their school community. They have a few childless friends still, but like I said they hardly have any ability to see them. They can't leave the kids with a babysitter because of things their son has done while being babysat in the past. It's beyond any stranger's ability to deal with especially the teenage girls they used to hire.

So now my husband and I have essentially cut them off too. I feel so guilty about this knowing how little social support they've already got. They both understood we have to protect our daughter, but it was clear they're near a breaking point. He's destroying their lives and they often don't feel safe in their own home.

I've seen them once since this went down while my husband stayed home with our baby, this was a couple nights ago. We ate dinner where their son was remarkably well behaved the whole time, then when we were saying goodbye he whispered "I wish you'd brought (Baby), her screams are adorable." I was too stunned to say anything and he just stood there with a poo poo eating smirk. My brother sounded totally defeated later when I mentioned it. They were just relieved he hadn't acted out during dinner.

What on earth can we do to help? Has anyone ever known a kid like this and did you ever find any way to deal with them? This seems far beyond normal behavior problems, and nothing works.

TL;DR: I can't do visits with my brother's family anymore because his son is out of control and will try to hurt my infant daughter. This is not my brother and SIL's fault and my husband and I want to find some way to help them.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
My [M32] fiancee [F28] is telling me to stop talking about a female friend, preferably ending the friendship completely.

quote:

My fiancee is an amazing woman and I love her to bits. The only thing about our relationship that makes me scratch my head is how jealous I think she gets. But I'm not sure, maybe I'm the one in the wrong here and I can't see it?

The issue mostly comes up in regards to a female childhood friend of mine. We're the same age. Our parents were close friends when we were young (about 0-7 years old) and because of that we used to see each other once a month or so. We went to high school together but were distant acquaintances at best.

After that we didnt see each other for 7-8 years. I had dinner with her and her fiance once. She came to visit me at my new place one time about 5 years ago since her parents lived down the street from me. I've visited her new house together with my parents one a year after that (we stopped on our way to somewhere else).

Since then we mostly see each other every year or couple of years when our parents have some sort of event, like on their 60th birthdays and such.

She's been with her fiance since she was in high school and they have two kids together, with a third on the way. I think she's great and very kind, and I'm so happy for her that she seem to have found happiness with her family and everything.

But that's really all there is. To me, she's just like a distant cousin or something. We never interact outside of family events like this.

When my fiancee moved in with me, we naturally talked about everything. Since my friends parents lived near us I mentioned my friend when we were out walking past their house one time. Another time we were talking childhood stories. That's where I think it went wrong. I shared a story about how that female friend and I got naked together one time and barricaded ourselves in the friends room. So our parents had to "break in" and found us there naked. We were about 3 or 4 years old at the time and our parents brought it up as something cute for years and years afterwards. Hell, they did it again a year ago. Nothing improper happened at all, it was just kids being kids. Maybe we were curious or something, I don't know.

Some other time I've mentioned how the friends mom used to bake these really intricate cakes for her birthdays. Maybe I've mentioned the friend a few other times as well. Like when we've driven through the area where the friend lives I've pointed that out and said that maybe we could visit sometime.

My fiancee has been getting increasingly upset every time the friends name comes up. And has asked me to stop talking about the friend. I'll mention something every couple of months or so, maybe my parents told me some news and I happen to share it with my SO without thinking much about it. The friends father turned 60 a few weeks ago and we were invited. I begged my fiancee to come with me to the event but she refused. She wanted neither of us to go. I ended up going alone, I told her I felt like I should go if I'm invited and I have nothing planned. Plus, I like the parents a lot too! I was just sad that we didnt get to go together.

The latest incident was last night. We were on the sofa and had just finished dinner. The mood was good at the time. My fiancee was watching TV and I was on my phone. The friend published an update on Facebook about how they were continuing to work on the upper floor of their house. They've been living in and building that house for something like 5 years now. I turned my phone to show my fiancee and said something like "wow, I can't believe they've been working on that house now for so long. I don't think I could deal with an unfinished house for so long. It must be hard with the kids and all that. I feel like if you're gonna go for a project like that, why not save up for a few years so you can get it done without all that headache".

She told me off for mentioning the friend once again. I said that I didn't see anything wrong with mentioning her. She tells me that I know she doesn't want me to discuss the friend with her. I say sorry, she says that I shouldn't say sorry if I'm not sorry.

She takes her stuff from the bed and goes to sleep on the sofa. I ask her to please come to bed but she refuses.

Today I get a very long message on whatsapp from my fiancee saying that I keep talking about the friend, that I always point out where she lives when we drive through the area they live in, that it was such a big deal missing the dads birthday and that I keep showing her photos of their house, kids and stuff. My fiancee says she feels like the second choice. That it feels like if I could have been with my friend instead, I would want to. She says she has ended some relationships with her friends, not because I asked her to but because its worth it to keep the relationship between us strong (sidenote, I would never ask her to do something like that).

I need to know if I'm an rear end in a top hat here for not wanting to back down? I understand that my fiancee doesn't want to hear about the friend. And I'll genuinely do my best not to mention her if she doesn't want to hear it, but knowing myself I'll probably let something slip by accident when I'm not thinking.

I just feel like I'm at a loss. My fiancee knows I love her. I have met the friend in question once or twice in the last three years. I get annoyed because it feels like she's blowing this completely out of proportion and I feel there's a lack of trust. The way my fiancee is talking its as if I never stop going on about the friend in question, but she blows up at the slightest mention now which I guess lingers.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Am I in the wrong here? What should I do?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Son sociopath, so what

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
WIBTA for asking my brother to not write a certain song with his band?

quote:

I’m 17f, brother is 19m, nearly 20. I’m on mobile, so formatting is all over the place.

Just over a year ago, I started dating my current boyfriend (18). I don’t know if this is relevant, but I met my boyfriend through my brother because they were on the same Media course at their college. It could explain a possible motive.

My brother and his friends are all...interesting characters. They find humour in offensive jokes and think that it’s funny when people get pissed off at them. Some of his friends play music, so they started a ‘band’ - when I say band, I mean that one of them got a guitar and two of them were singing, with my brother on main ‘vocals’ and a friend doing heavy metal screeching.

As you can imagine, their music was offensive. And their first song, they wrote about me and my new-at-the-time boyfriend. It was bad, my brother wrote super inappropriate lyrics about us. Trust me, whatever you’re imagining, it’s way worse. There were specific references, like the film we saw for our first date and my boyfriends favourite drink.

As you can imagine, as a high school student, my social life dropped from small but okay, to nearly nonexistent. My brother had not long left my school so he knew a lot of my friends, and spread it among them and within a week the whole sixth form knew about it. I told a few friends in confidence that the song was about myself and my boyfriend and before long everyone knew that too. I had people playing the song in the common room purely to see my reaction. I have pretty severe depression as is, so this all took a bad mental toll on me. The few friends I do have either have just started university or they go to different schools, so I’m horribly alone every day.

In fact, my brother has a history of gossiping about me to friends of mine who started going to his college, so now my best friend has become his best friend and he barely talks to me anymore - the best friend, that is. EDIT: This best friend is actually in the band.

It’s now the one year anniversary of the song. A mutual friend has told me that they want to do a remaster/reworking of the lyrics. WIBTA for asking that they don’t do that? I could alienate myself even further and I’m alone enough as it is.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Pinecone Sample posted:

My [M32] fiancee [F28] is telling me to stop talking about a female friend, preferably ending the friendship completely.

Run like the wind, my dude. That is some weapons grade insecurity.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Not actually “traditional” Scottish but more an affectation of the rich in the mid 1800s.

Arguing that something isn't traditionally Scottish, but is the defacto wedding apparel in country. Good work! :rolleyes:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Power Khan posted:

How can I (29F) support my brother (36M) who has a horrible child (10M) that's ruining his life?

Kid is literally a sociopath.

No remorse, no empathy, can act charming and nice when needed, good at lying..

Either get a child psychologist to commit him to a mental institution or set him up for a career in high finance.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

The 3rd update. He's almost there but doesn't stick the landing. Blue balls the size of Violet Beauregarde.

(3rd update)Me [25 M] with my wife [23F], she informs me at sisters wedding she had slept with best man

I'd never judge someone for deciding to stay with a spouse who has cheated on them. That's a decision you've got to make on your own and if that's what you want to do, you can do it. But this guy, frankly, sounds like an idiot and I think the divorce has just been delayed a couple years and it'll be him getting dumped. This guy is just all over the place with his emotions and actions and after 3 updates hasn't really gained any insight into how he really feels. He's angry, okay, and when he shows that anger to his wife she has panic attacks and goes to the hospital and he switches to caring and protective. It's just a loop. He wants her to feel bad and suffer, and I get why, but I see this story taking the familiar path where the person cheated on neither forgives nor forgets, and the cheater gets tired of being made to feel like a sewer monster after a couple years and leaves him in order to reclaim their dignity and self-respect.

If he isn't able to tell his wife "I forgive you" and mean it and not hold it over her head for the rest of his life, then there's no decision to be made here. They can divorce now or in a couple of years but you can't stay married to someone you hate.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
AITA for Ditching my Cousin's Baby Shower and Taking the Food Away from the Party?
UPDATE: My Dad heard the whole thing and told my mother about it, who was working in the kitchen. They both (politely) excused themselves afterwards and drove over to my place to talk about it. My Dad drove my half of the groceries to my cousin's place and then came back. There's now a massive feud on our family WhatsApp with two groups:

Family who are sticking up for me and telling other people to stop provoking me (mostly older relatives).

People who are saying I'm an rear end in a top hat (mostly the younger generation).

My cousin and her boyfriend (soon-to-be-married) were having their baby shower and the whole family was invited to the party. My mother and aunts love to cook so they wanted to gather the ingredients and make a huge dinner themselves. I drove my car and my father drove his, and we basically pushed the shopping carts along and got our credit cards ready while the women shoveled everything they wanted into the carriages.

We finally got everything to my cousin's place and we started off-loading my Dad's car first. While I was inside, I got a chance to say hi to my cousin to congratulate her on her baby shower. The conversation started off light, but took a weird turn. She asked me how my parents raised me, and specific details like if they grounded me, what kinds of punishment they used, what I did when I was little and what regrets I had as a kid that I would change. I thought they were trying to learn how to raise their child, but it was weird because I'm a single guy. They would've been better off asking my parents about these things.

Here's where things get dark. I ask my cousin why she's asking me all this, and she says, "I just want to raise my baby better than you," That made no sense because I never raised any babies. The vibe I got was definitely that it was an insult but on the off-chance she wasn't intentionally being rude, I just laughed it off and said, "Well I'm no Bill Gates, or Steve Jobs, but I do alright for," I assumed she meant that she wanted to raise her baby to be better than me, which is fine since parents want the world for their kids.

Nope, she just kept going. "Well that's true. Did your parents ever think you'd turn out this way?"

I said, "Well I think they just wanted me to be happy,"

Her, "Are you?"

Me, "Well I'm definitely happy for you, congratulations!" (I'm trying reaaaaaaally hard to steer things away from me).

Her, "Thanks. Do you ever plan on having kids?"

Me, "I just gotta find the right person, but until then I'm gonna enjoy life as is. There's no need to stress out wanting something else and taking what we have for granted."

Her, "Sure... Well I'm younger than you and I already have a family. Don't wait too long... or else you might ending up dying alone," I ask her directly what she meant. She just laughs, shrugs, and leaves. I her again and she says, "Don't get angry at me, you're the one who refuses to go out and meet people. If you bothered to leave your house every once in a while maybe you'd have a family of your own by now. I just don't want my baby to end up like you,"

Everyone within earshot was dead-silent. I just stared at her for who knows how long and she just ends up rubbing her belly and waddling away.

I leave, taking my car home and halfway there, I realize half the groceries are still in my car. At this point, I could have driven back and dumped it on the porch buuuuuuuuuuuut I decided gently caress It, screw her. I ignored all calls and texts, and just took a nap.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Holy gently caress that cheating one. It doesn’t count because we’re married now. Uh, gently caress no. She was sleeping around when the guy proposed to her. How the hell can you ever forgive a betrayal like that? And the idiot is never going to get over it, if he’s waving divorce papers in her face only to rip them up a minute later.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I [32M] have fallen out my with brother [30M] over how drunk he gets.

quote:

TL;DR - My brother got drunk at a party where I introduced him to my friends, spend all his money on alcohol and cigarettes, and I had to cover for him for the rest of the weekend. I got a bit short with him over this, and now we're not speaking.

I love my brother, but I can't stand how he is when he gets drunk.

He very recently came to the city where I live, and we had a disastrous weekend together. Basically, despite me asking him twice not to drink a few beers, he drank 10 and got very drunk at a party with a few of my friends. He started smoking - by asking my friends who smoked for free cigarettes - and tried to get me to promise not to tell our mother he smoked. One of my friends made some comments to me about how drunk my brother was, and how they didn't like his behaviour (they thought he was very loud, dominates conversations, behaves like he was on a stag party, and was being vaguely racist by comparing Asian cultures to a Taiwanese party guest), which I interpreted as a signal that we should leave.

Cut to the next day, he was hungover and miserable. I'd organised a spa day for both of us, but when we were on the train there he told me he didn't have enough cash to pay and that he'd lost his bank card so I'd have to pay for both of us and he'd pay me back. We had a nice time at the spa until I left him unattended and he found the bar and ordered a beer for himself (which I had to pay for).

He spent the weekend complaining to me that I was short and angry at him, that I made him feel like I didn't want him there and why did I have to be so negative all the time.

Eventually, I snapped at him and told him that we'd been asked to leave the party and that I wasn't happy with having to cover for him once he'd spent his money on cigarettes and alcohol.

This isn't the first time he's drunk far more than I am comfortable with:

For example on our holiday together in Budapest, he started drinking in the afternoon (2 pints in Szechenyi baths) followed by a bottle of wine shared with me, and then 8-10 whiskeys in a bar. The next day he complained all morning about being hungover, then started drinking again at lunchtime.

It's also not the first time we've had issues over money together:

We had a weekend away in Vienna - I turn up and he had no cash on him and he refused to get cash out because he couldn't get a good deal on foreign exchange commission. Because he is paid in GPB and I'm paid in EUR he wanted me to pay for everything and he would transfer me the GBP equivalent to my British bank account (so he didn't need to pay commission). He never discussed this with me until I arrived in Vienna. I had to dip into my savings to pay for both of us whilst arguing over everything we bought all weekend.

Again, this last weekend in Berlin he continued to drink past the point I'd asked him not to (I asked to only have 1 beer each from the supermarket and I asked him not to have the extra beer in the tube on the way to the party). Some of my friends were upset at your behaviour at the party (dominating conversations, behaving like you were on a stag do, demanding cigarettes the moment you met someone). When I finally refused to pay for any more things for him, he found a way to connect his bank card to his phone to pay for snacks - i.e. he could have paid for everything all weekend.

He has since contacted my friends to ask them if what I'm saying is true, and I have had to ask them not to respond to him. He's demanding that I give him the names of people who were upset so that he can verify my story before he'll apologise. When he contacts me it's to give me a barrage of abuse about how I'm a terrible person, how it's all in my head, and how I deserve to be lonely in Berlin because of the way I treat people.

I'm finding it difficult just to ignore him, and I love him and want to get on with him. I've also got a weekend away to Istanbul with him in the spring (which I've paid for!). I just feel that given he is a chartered accountant and in his 30s, I can expect more from him - particularly if my parents have had words about his drinking, and he knows I don't like how hard he goes at it.

Brother ruins multiple European vacations but I have a good feeling about Istanbul if we stay on the Asian side of the Bosphorus!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

The Bramble posted:

I [32M] have fallen out my with brother [30M] over how drunk he gets.

Brother ruins multiple European vacations but I have a good feeling about Istanbul if we stay on the Asian side of the Bosphorus!

British_drinking_tourists_in Eastern_Europe.jpg

The distillate of poo poo

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Kitchner posted:

Either get a child psychologist to commit him to a mental institution or set him up for a career in high finance.

I look forward to this kid becoming president one day.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Kitchner posted:

I just wanna point out that sociopath and psychopath are different things and violence/aggression is a big part of the difference. This kid is a psychopath and there's literally nothing they can do about it; he'll never have the snap of self-awareness that sometimes takes a sociopath up a level to "just kind of an rear end in a top hat" because I don't think controlled psychopaths are a thing

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pretty funny because Ichi the Killer is of course about someone that gets off sexually to violence, especially sexual violence. The opening scene has the title character splatter his ejactulate into a number 1 (ichi) if I remember correctly.

Yeah, if your friend group has already seen Ichi the Killer you've kinda got free reign to pick whatever the hell you want after that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Adopt the other child and move away, never to speak to them again. Then if the parents survive to 18 they too can disappear into the night. Ideally theyd leave fingerprints/blood sample/dna for the federal crime database first.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Power Khan posted:

AITA for Ditching my Cousin's Baby Shower and Taking the Food Away from the Party?

I would've kept all the groceries except the eggs, which would've been returned ballistically.

Also :wtc: at the casual mention of a loving legless hamster corpse in the psycho kid's room. Isn't poo poo like that how horror movies start?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Barudak posted:

Adopt the other child and move away, never to speak to them again. Then if the parents survive to 18 they too can disappear into the night. Ideally theyd leave fingerprints/blood sample/dna for the federal crime database first.

Yeah, I'm worried about his sister, too.

drat, there's no "happily ever after" in a situation like that.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

TheKennedys posted:

I just wanna point out that sociopath and psychopath are different things and violence/aggression is a big part of the difference. This kid is a psychopath and there's literally nothing they can do about it; he'll never have the snap of self-awareness that sometimes takes a sociopath up a level to "just kind of an rear end in a top hat" because I don't think controlled psychopaths are a thing

I'm aware but honestly loads of people disagree on what the difference between the two is.

Bottom line is the kid is seriously mentally disturbed, despite the fact he's a good liar and he manipulates his teachers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Neito posted:

Also :wtc: at the casual mention of a loving legless hamster corpse in the psycho kid's room. Isn't poo poo like that how horror movies start?

Yep. That kid's gonna upgrade to legless human corpses if they don't do something.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

TheKennedys posted:

Prognosis for psychopathic individuals is currently pretty poor, but there have been some studies that have shown promise in at least managing the more overt antisocial and criminal behaviors, particularly using reward-based management in institutional settings and certain medications. But the current research is still very young, and most of the subjects are already incarcerated. It's unlikely to really develop into something usable for that family for some time yet.

Their kid is also at an age where some things can still change, though, if they do manage to get some help. Kids his age, and slightly older, who score high on the Psychopathy Checklist sometimes manage to not classify anymore by the time they're grown. Though, there is the question of if they just become better at hiding it, for those who aren't severe enough to end up in the legal system.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Power Khan posted:

British_drinking_tourists_in Eastern_Europe.jpgliterally_anywhere.jpg

Fixed that for you

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

The Bramble posted:

the cheater gets tired of being made to feel like a sewer monster
Then they shouldn't have fuckin' cheated. It's not complicated. They are not owed forgiveness, or understanding. If they didn't want their SO to hate them, there's one simple, super easy trick: Don't Cheat On Them. This goes for both men and women. There is no point where their lives transform into a parody of that one Superdickery comic cover. "You mustn't cheat on your partner!"
"I've GOT to!"

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 20, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Dazerbeams posted:

Holy gently caress that cheating one. It doesn’t count because we’re married now. Uh, gently caress no. She was sleeping around when the guy proposed to her. How the hell can you ever forgive a betrayal like that? And the idiot is never going to get over it, if he’s waving divorce papers in her face only to rip them up a minute later.

Yeah, he's a total loving idiot. How could he ever trust his wife again in 10 billion years? Why isn't he divorcing her? Every reason he gives and every new development he experiences with her shows that he should just run far, far away. His wife cheated on him multiple times, doesn't understand what she did was very wrong, and has regular panic attacks over losing him solely because of what she did to ruin their relationship, yet this dumbass still wants to stick around and learn to forgive his wife?!! What in the heck?

It's even worse because he's only 25 and could just move on from this and have a successful marriage and family with another person who didn't cheat on him. Just walk away, dude.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Then they shouldn't have fuckin' cheated. It's not complicated. They are not owed forgiveness, or understanding. If they didn't want their SO to hate them, there's one simple, super easy trick: Don't Cheat On Them. This goes for both men and women.

Well yeah, the solution is divorce if you can't forgive, that's what they're saying.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Then they shouldn't have fuckin' cheated. It's not complicated. They are not owed forgiveness, or understanding. If they didn't want their SO to hate them, there's one simple, super easy trick: Don't Cheat On Them. This goes for both men and women. There is no point where their lives transform into a parody of that one Superdickery comic cover. "You mustn't cheat on your partner!"
"I've GOT to!"

I'm saying the onus for repairing the relationship after cheating, paradoxically, falls on the person who was cheated on. Ultimately the heavy lift of forgiveness is on them, not the person who cheated. I think a lot of people don't recognize that and so remain in dead relationship making themselves and their partner miserable for years until someone breaks from it. If you can't forgive cheating, then cut the cord early and don't waste your time trying to have it both ways with your eternal anger and undisrupted coupled life.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Wtf do you do with a ____path kid? I remember hearing the This American Life about those kids and it was terrifying.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for picking a film with excessive nudity for movie night?

As someone who has seen Ichi the Killer, I would be way more comfortable with someone who wants to show me a soft-core porn than Ichi the Killer.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

zakharov posted:

Wtf do you do with a ____path kid? I remember hearing the This American Life about those kids and it was terrifying.

Interesting article on therapy that may help kids with really profound problems like that.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/06/when-your-child-is-a-psychopath/524502/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

duck trucker posted:

As someone who has seen Ichi the Killer, I would be way more comfortable with someone who wants to show me a soft-core porn than Ichi the Killer.

:same:

Ichi the Killer is gross as gently caress and not in an intriguing art house movie way. It's just disgusting and bad.