Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/19/20972584/uber-fault-self-driving-crash-ntsb-probable-cause

quote:

Federal investigators split the blame for the fatal Uber self-driving crash between the ride-hailing company, the safety driver in the vehicle, the victim, and the state of Arizona in a blistering official report that also took the federal government to task for failing to properly regulate the industry.

In a hearing of the National Transportation Safety Board in Washington, DC on November 19th, the three-member panel heard from a team of investigators who had been sifting through the details of the crash for over a year now. At the end of the two-and-a-half-hour hearing, the board issued its determination of probable cause in the event that shook the autonomous vehicle industry.

The board cited the following as contributing to the fatal crash:

* The failure of the Uber self-driving vehicle operator, Rafaela Vasquez, to monitor the road and the automated driving system because she was “visually distracted throughout the trip by her personal cell phone.” Police had determined that Vasquez was streaming The Voice on her smartphone at the time of the crash. NTSB investigators confirmed that she spent 34 percent of her time in the Uber vehicle that night glancing down at her phone, with the final glance taking place six seconds before impact. Vasquez only returned her gaze to the road one second before the crash, investigators said.

* The “inadequate safety risk assessment procedures” at Uber’s Advanced Technologies Group. The board blasted Uber’s lack of a safety division within ATG, noting that the company did not have a dedicated safety manager in place who was responsible for risk assessment and mitigation.

* Uber’s “ineffective” monitoring of vehicle operators. There were cameras in the vehicle monitoring safety drivers, but there was no oversight to ensure that those drivers weren’t violating the company’s policies prohibiting things like cellphone use.

* Uber’s inability to address the “automation complacency” of its safety drivers monitoring the automated driving systems. Riding with these vehicles can be very dull, and Uber lacked a system in place to ensure its safety drivers weren’t getting overly complacent.

* The victim, Elaine Herzberg, was found to have methamphetamines in her system, and her impairment may have led her to cross the street outside the crosswalk, thus leading to her death.

* Arizona’s “insufficient” policies to regulate automated vehicles on its public roads were found to have contributed to the crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That victim-blaming is horseshit.

The “desire paths” worn into the terrain on either aide of that unofficial crossing point are visible from space.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

I had a friend try to recruit me after telling me his developers are morons and everything's dysfunctional. Why would I ever take that job? That's like the guy at your dinner table that says "hey, this tastes fuckin' awful! Want to try a bite?"

My friend recruited me from a sinking ship kinda like this, he assured me stuff was better. I arrived and turns out not really, it's a loving quagmire and I've spent the last month and a half getting my soul ground to dust and playing Go on my cellphone. At least I gained four stones in strength in that month and a half, so there's that.

It also got me to send out a few resumes myself instead of relying on my network of friends to recommend me, and I found a much better position for more money in a month. Being a computer toucher today is a pretty decent position to be in in that sense. However, even though all I did was send a few resumes, I am now bombarded with emails. I assume some HR person I sent the resume to put me in some loving system.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
see this is why you also have burner emails and social media accounts to go along your burner worker phone.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

see this is why you also have burner emails and social media accounts to go along your burner worker phone.

I maintain no social media and don't give out my phone number very readily, but yeah, the burner email would have been a good idea

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Btw one of the places I sent the resume to disqualified me because they couldn't find any of my social media, apparently they do some sort of screening there for fratboy pics or maybe since I have no facebook I technically don't exist. Hellworld reigns

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

dex_sda posted:

Btw one of the places I sent the resume to disqualified me because they couldn't find any of my social media, apparently they do some sort of screening there for fratboy pics or maybe since I have no facebook I technically don't exist. Hellworld reigns

Facebook is required for employement meatbag.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
It's so they can fire you the second you post anything remotely bad about the company.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

ryonguy posted:

It's so they can fire you the second you post anything remotely bad about the company.

Theyll print your timeline on an 11x17 with a giant red square around the post in question

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1197372567440506880

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1197508951782383616?s=21
This Uber is brought to you by Sierra Mist

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

ryonguy posted:

I once had a premonition of a future where we live in gated apartment communities guarded by private security and monitored by the leasing agency’s social media thought bots, after receiving an email from the front desk of my apartment complex at the time promising a paltry reward for leaving a positive Facebook review.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1197546861273526272

Layoffs begin at WeWork. Sucks to have worn yourself out for a startup that flamed out.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
I guess the people in the industry now aren't old enough to remember the first dotcom bubble filled with bullshit companies.

And realizing it was 20+ years ago... :corsair:

ryonguy fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 21, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gotta feel good getting laid off when you and your coworkers could've been paid for a decade with the payoff your insanely stupid boss got.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Layoffs begin at WeWork. Sucks to have worn yourself out for a startup that flamed out.

Wonder which 90's rapper they're going to invite to hand the pink slips this time

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
This sounds like a perfect system and won't at all backfire.

quote:

A major change is coming for the more than 200,000 medical marijuana cardholders in Arizona next month: The cards are going digital.

Say goodbye to receiving your card in the mail. Starting December 1, all new medical marijuana cards issued by the Arizona Department of Health Services will be emailed as PDF files.

Medical marijuana patients who already have physical cards will receive supplemental digital versions via email, but they’ll be able to keep using their physical cards until they expire, at which point they’ll have to renew online.

Critics of the switch to all-digital cards in Arizona have pointed out that nearly a fourth of the state’s medical marijuana cardholders, around 50,000 patients, are over the age of 60. Some of those older patients may not know how to access a PDF card online. And some patients may not use smartphones at all.

Bower responded that every medical marijuana patient in the state in the last eight years has been required to apply for the card through email, so they had to have some level of digital fluency.

But he said patients who aren’t particularly tech-savvy or want extra protection can still print out their card so they’ve “got it at all times.”

If you don’t know how to download and print a PDF or don’t have a printer, some dispensaries are providing extra help. Downtown Dispensary in Tucson, for example, plans to install a printing station in its lobby, KOLD News 13 of Tucson reported.

Bower said he thinks most patients will be able to figure out the new system, and those who aren’t digital natives will adapt.

"That 60-year-old, remember, they were in their 40s when the internet was hitting their workspace," Bower said. "This isn’t a new thing. We think that the overall benefit to the 99.9 percent far outweighs somebody not being able to navigate their email inbox."
Bolded for :lol:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

nerdz posted:

Wonder which 90's rapper they're going to invite to hand the pink slips this time

"We heavily regret doing these layoffs and hope we can move on"
*Beat*
"I wish I was a little bit taller/I wish I was a baller/I wish I had a girl who looked good I would call her"

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Especially when 3 months ago it looked like you were about to get paid from finally going public.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh man what a nice thing to walk into at 10am line of humans and copy paper boxes walking out of the building

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Didn't someone discover that WeWork's 401k contribution only exists if you're employed with them on December 31st? They're saving money left and right.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

ryonguy posted:

I guess the people in the industry now aren't old enough to remember the first dotcom bubble filled with bullshit companies.

And realizing it was 20+ years ago... :corsair:

Nothing changed my life more than that event.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

i guess softbank finally gave them enough money to afford to fire people

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

i guess softbank finally gave them enough money to afford to fire people

it's cheaper to pay good lawyers to gently caress the employees over so that's what they'll do

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Why is this a bad idea exactly?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ThanosWasRight posted:

Why is this a bad idea exactly?

For one thing, editing a PDF is close to trivial.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Arsenic Lupin posted:

fake doctots recs used to be common as gently caress in the medical era of ca.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

if the system was well done, you would verify by typing in the registration number and the system would spit out the photo/name/etc associated with that number, which you could compare to the card and to the person presenting the card

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

evilweasel posted:

if the system was well done, you would verify by typing in the registration number and the system would spit out the photo/name/etc associated with that number, which you could compare to the card and to the person presenting the card

On the other hand, this is Arizona. If anything we should be coming up with far dumber ways they could screw this up.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

evilweasel posted:

This is how CA was/is.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Feinne posted:

On the other hand, this is Arizona. If anything we should be coming up with far dumber ways they could screw this up.

sure

but i gotta assume that even arizona isn't creating an entire system based on people being honest about what they print out with their printers at home, people stopped accepting paper drivers licences for anything fifty years ago

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

evilweasel posted:

sure

but i gotta assume that even arizona isn't creating an entire system based on people being honest about what they print out with their printers at home, people stopped accepting paper drivers licences for anything fifty years ago

Yeah true, they did manage to eventually vote out Arpaio.

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So you're worried about more people getting access to legal marijuana? :shrug:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

fake doctots recs used to be common as gently caress in the medical era of ca.

And that was a bad thing? Considering the state of medical care in this country a lot of drugs should be available over counter that aren't.

Birth Control
Antibiotics
Perscription Mouth Wash

I don't understand why I have to go to a Dentist and pay $100 (that I don't have) to get prescription mouth wash or pay a doctor $200 (that I definitely don't have) for antibiotics.

I bring back tons of Z-Packs whenever I go to a country that allows over the counter purchase of prescription medication and I've ran into so many poor food workers that were unable to afford or find time to go to a local doctor for an infection that I've given them away to.

America is a shithole third-world country and instead of acting like our laws need to be based on a place where people don't live in the streets and can barely make ends meet and sure as gently caress can't afford to visit a doctor or Dentist we should start adopting what those other countries do at a state level because we are completely and totally irredeemably hosed and there is no hope for anyone here to escape homelessness or minimum wage fast food work/cycle of poverty in their lifetimes.

ThanosWasRight fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 21, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
otc antibiotics, specifically, are Not Ideal

the doctor visit should be free, is the answer

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GreyjoyBastard posted:

That is not going to happen in our lifetime. And we have to face facts that if it came down to that and having us all killed in the streets the people in power would be more than happy to kill us using their own bare hands.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

They may as well as be otc given how trivial it is to get them.

I know the answer is major medical reform both for patients and doctors before we breed super bugs, but until that happens it'd be nice if I didn't have to shell out $35 for a doctor to go "yes your obvious symptoms of a sinus infection are probably a sinus infection." It also would have meant that my sister wouldn't have had to buy fish antibiotics for abscesses when she got fired and lost her insurance.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lamo

WeWork Will Lay Off 2,400 Workers

quote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/21/business/wework-layoffs.html
WeWork said on Thursday that it was laying off 2,400 employees around the world, weeks after huge losses at the co-working company brought it close to financial collapse...
Employees expressed anger in a letter to management after learning that Mr. Neumann had received an exit package worth roughly $1 billion.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
:piss:

https://twitter.com/VictoriaQuested...r%3D1359%23pti8

https://twitter.com/JasonStutman/status/1197732976093736960

:tesla:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
kill me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress, while i was looking at the livestream video it was closed and made private