Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

well why not posted:

I’m not saying TLJ / Rose is bad I just find it’s a weird name for SW. I wonder what the origin is. I hope it’s not just a pretty flower for a girl but it probably is!

Well, see, when the First Order came to her planet, she didn't surrender. She rose.

(:suicide:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

Euphronius, if I put on a fancy suit and adopt a bad Italian accent when I go out to rob a bank, does this make me a member of the Mafia?

Look, you're the one who said there's a literal statement of Snoke and/or Kylo Ren's specific allegiance to the Sith. Provide it. I'll give you a hint: there's exactly one line mentioning the word Sith in The Last Jedi, and it doesn't say what you think it does.

There is one important self referential line and like literally tons of other evidence lol

Ren literally worships a Sith Lord ??? What the hell hes not Sith ok . Force lighting ? Not Sith, no problem just random powers from no context at all. I’ve never seen a Star Wars movie why would force lighting be contextually meaningful ? Better check wookiepiedia

Is Sith-inspired ok for you ? Imagine every time I say Sith i meant Sith-inspired. Is that ok ?

Sith-equivalent??

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Snoke is a Sith in the same way that Jakku is Tattooine. :can:

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

euphronius posted:

There is one important self referential line and like literally tons of other evidence lol

Ren literally worships a Sith Lord ??? What the hell hes not Sith ok . Force lighting ? Not Sith, no problem just random powers from no context at all. I’ve never seen a Star Wars movie why would force lighting be contextually meaningful ? Better check wookiepiedia

Is Sith-inspired ok for you ? Imagine every time I say Sith i [meant Sith-inspired

No, no, answer the question. If I put on a fancy suit and adopt a bad Italian accent when I go out to rob a bank, does this make me a member of the Mafia?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

No, no, answer the question. If I put on a fancy suit and adopt a bad Italian accent when I go out to rob a bank, does this make me a member of the Mafia?

I’m talking about Star Wars not your cos play fantasies or whatever

Snoke actually has force lightening he’s not faking it

Ren actually worships Sith and does evil things he’s not faking it

As I said if you think “Sith inspired” is more accurate whatever fine I don’t see the point of even mentioning the difference . They aren’t a cargo cult. Snoke and
Ren are functionally indistinguishable from Sith

Even if Ren doesn’t say they are Sith; they are still Sith

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

euphronius posted:

I’m talking about Star Wars not your cos play fantasies or whatever

Snoke actually has force lightening he’s not faking it

Ren actually worships Sith and does evil things he’s not faking it

As I said if you think “Sith inspired” is more accurate whatever fine I don’t see the point of even mentioning the difference . They aren’t a cargo cult. Snoke an Ren are functionally indistinguishable from Sith

The fact that you don't see the difference between 'is a thing' and 'is like a thing' and 'is inspired by a thing' says it all, really. The fact that Snoke and Ren aren't Sith while being functionally indistinguishable from Sith is one of the biggest problems within the sequel trilogy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

The fact that you don't see the difference between 'is a thing' and 'is like a thing' and 'is inspired by a thing' says it all, really. The fact that Snoke and Ren aren't Sith while being functionally indistinguishable from Sith is one of the biggest problems within the sequel trilogy.

What is a Sith?

(To clarify: movies only : I don’t care about wokkiepida)

Edit

Wait you admit Ren and Snoke are functionally indistinguishable from Sith

why are you bothering me then !!! Jesus Christ !!!

euphronius fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 21, 2019

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

euphronius posted:

What is a Sith?

(To clarify: movies only : I don’t care about wokkiepida)

I provided this answer a few posts back drawing only from the movies. Like, you directly quoted the post even (and ignored it.) I feel like I'm engaging with someone with, like, genuine brain difficulties here or a literal, actual child.

What about the fact that Abrams and Serkis also said they're not Sith? And where's that literal quote you said exists? And does putting on a suit and accent make me a member of the Mafia?

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 21, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You admit they are functionally equivalent which is enough to support a statement “Ren and Snoke are Sith” based on a functional understanding of identity and being verbs discussed as long ago as Socrates et al like 2300 years ago.

Thank you for agreeing with me. I’m glad* we wasted all this time over trivial fights on the definition of being verbs and your adherence to Wiokiepedia when you always agreed just agreed with me

* I’m not glad

euphronius fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 21, 2019

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
What he's trying to say is that the movies make sense...

...from a stupid point of view

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

euphronius posted:

You admit they are functionally equivalent which is enough to support a statement “Ren and Snoke are Sith” based on a functional understanding of identity and being verbs discussed as long ago as Socrates et al like 2300 years ago.

Thank you for agreeing with me. I’m glad we wasted all the time over trivial fights on the definition of being verbs and your adherence to Wiokiepedia when you always agreed just agreed with me

Okay, but Sith have names/titles that use the word 'Darth' in them and this is core to their philosophy and identity. Snoke and Ren don't have these. This means...?

Euphronius, planes and birds both have wings and move through the air. But they are not the same thing. Do you understand this?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

Okay, but Sith have names/titles that use the word 'Darth' in them and this is core to their philosophy and identity. Snoke and Ren don't have these. This means...?

Euphronius, planes and birds both have wings and move through the air. But they are not the same thing. Do you understand this?

Are you saying they aren’t functionally equivalent now? Please make up your mind

Btw birds and planes are not functionally equivalent.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

euphronius posted:

Are you saying they aren’t functionally equivalent now? Please make up your mind

All sith are darksiders but not all darksiders are sith. See: catholics and Christianity.

HTH

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

euphronius posted:

But they both have wings and fly through the sky. They are like a thing, therefore they are the thing. Not only do you not understand my posts, you don't even understand your own arguments (obviously, or you wouldn't make them.)

Why don't Snoke and Kylo have Sith titles, Euphronius? That is to say the usage of the specific Darth title which has shown up on every single Sith we've seen in the past six films?

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 21, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

But they both have wings and fly through the sky. They are like a thing, therefore they are the thing.

Why don't Snoke and Kylo have Sith titles, Euphronius?

You are insulting me with puerile garbage

That is a side show

The fact that they don’t have titles is a red herring because we are talking about functional equivalence. Their titles have nothing to do with their function and are as important in this analysis as the livery on an airplane or plumage on a bird

A robin looks different than a golden eagle yet both are birds ??? A b52 looks different than a American Airlines passenger jet yet both are planes ??? How can this be ?????

Jfc this is 300bce philosophy my fiend please don’t bore me. you already conceded . You’d be laughed out of Athens

euphronius fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 21, 2019

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

euphronius posted:

You are insulting me with puerile garbage

That is a side show

The fact that they don’t have titles is a red herring because we are talking about functional equivalence. Their titles have nothing to do with their function and are as important in this analysis as the livery on an airplane or plumage on a bird

A robin looks different than a golden eagle yet both are birds ??? A b52 lols different than a American Airlines passenger jet yet both are planes ??? How can this be ?????

Jfc this is 300bce philosophy my fiend please don’t bore me. you already conceded . You’d be laughed out of Athens

Why don't Snoke and Kylo have Sith titles, Euphronius? Why did a director and actor say they're not Sith? Only a very stupid person would treat a B52 and a passenger jet as the same thing - whether something carries passengers or nuclear ordinance is extremely important. Like, what're you trying to say here?

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 21, 2019

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
Like, your initial point was not that Snoke and Ren were functionally equivalent to Sith but that they were Sith! You even said there was a direct quote in the movie that proved that they were Sith! Not like Sith, not similar to Sith, not functionally equivalent to Sith but literally Sith. Are you having a stroke? Am I having a stroke? Are you trolling the thread because you're upset no one likes the bad movie? What on Jakku is going on? Why are you appealing to Socrates? Why don't you answer direct questions? Are you posting from Classical Athens and require us to send someone back in time to help you? Does the Socratic method reveal a secret understanding of The Last Jedi? Was Socrates a time traveller? Are you Socrates? Is Socrates having a stroke?

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 21, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You are confused over the definition of being verbs. I don’t blame you assuming you are American as American schools are not particularly rigorous when it comes to language . I don’t know what else to say to you. You’ve already admitted ren and Snoke are Sith so there isn’t much more Im interested in

I’ve tried to untie your knots and you are almost there but your animosity to me and pride about being wrong are blinding you.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if kylo isn't a sith then it means he's not lying when he includes the sith as part of the past that needs to be excised and if he's not lying then the whole house of cards reconciling that scene with everything that comes afterwards falls apart

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

euphronius posted:

You are confused over the definition of being verbs. I don’t blame you assuming you are American as American schools are not particularly rigorous when it comes to language . I don’t know what else to say to you. You’ve already admitted ren and Snoke are Sith so there isn’t much more Im interested in

I’ve tried to untie your knots and you are almost there but your animosity to me and pride about being wrong are blinding you.

I never admitted they're Sith. In fact...

Horizon Burning posted:

Snoke and Ren aren't Sith.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

while being functionally indistinguishable from Sith

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

And the problem here is that, like, you genuinely don't understand that just because something has a similar function inside a story doesn't mean it's the same thing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

And the problem here is that, like, you genuinely don't understand that just because something has a similar function inside a story doesn't mean it's the same thing.

First, you said “functionally indistinguishable”

Not “had a similar function inside a story”

However both would support a being-verb /equivalence usage

Let me break it down. Consider :

2+2 = 4

“But 2 doesn’t look like 4 how can this be ??” <- this is your “”””argument””””

By the way If you are having a hard time following that analogy the = sign is a being verb

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

euphronius posted:

2+2 = 4

By the way If you are having a hard time following that analogy the = sign is a being verb

Because the function in the story is 'be a bad guy, have a red lightsaber.' That's how they can be "functionally indistinguishable."

You understand that in your tortured, weird plane analogy it's like... B-52 is Sith, the passenger jet is 'Whatever Snoke Is', and idea of a plane is dark-side practitioner?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

fellas ...

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I don't like this bit you're doing. The irony levels are too high

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Imagine four Sith-like lords on the edge of a cliff...

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

euphronius posted:

2+2 = 4

“You’re a Sith.”

“NO I AM NOT I AM A DARK SIDE USER I DO NOT CONSENT TO THIS JOINDER”

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Horizon Burning posted:

Why don't Snoke and Kylo have Sith titles, Euphronius? Why did a director and actor say they're not Sith? Only a very stupid person would treat a B52 and a passenger jet as the same thing - whether something carries passengers or nuclear ordinance is extremely important. Like, what're you trying to say here?

Your posting is so stupid that you have convinced me that Snoke and Kylo are in fact Sith.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Captain Jesus posted:

Your posting is so stupid that you have convinced me that Snoke and Kylo are in fact Sith.

It's like Socrates said: turn on your monitor, lest you mistake a pigeon for a B-52.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

disjoe posted:

“You’re a Sith.”

“NO I AM NOT I AM A DARK SIDE USER I DO NOT CONSENT TO THIS JOINDER”

Only a Sitheran Citizen abides by Grand Admiralty law!!!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Sith and poo poo are anagrams

Jedi and Edji are as well.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
God bless Euthronius. We needed another Jivjov and he is risen!

Snoke’s very clearly not a Sith btw.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Is Sith an ideology? Like there must be thousands of people with the force in the galaxy that belong to neither Jedi or Sith.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Uncle Wemus posted:

Is Sith an ideology? Like there must be thousands of people with the force in the galaxy that belong to neither Jedi or Sith.

Pretty much. The same way Luke says that the Force doesn't belong to the Jedi, nor does the dark side of it belong to the Sith. Sith are just a particular sect with a particular set of rules - such as the Rule of Two, where there's a Master and an Apprentice and the duty of the latter is to betray and overthrow the former. A key part seems to be taking on a Darth name and title. I'm not sure there's more than that directly in the films, but it seems like the Sith has a particular wish for revenge against the Jedi Order for some past grievance. I think, when I was still lurking this thread, there was even a poster who made the argument that Palpatine might not be a genuine Sith, just someone using it to provoke the Jedi. Otherwise, the Sith we hear about are...

Darth Plagueis, dead. Darth Maul, dead. Darth Tyrannus, dead. Darth Sidious, dead. Darth Vader, recanted and dead.

So, when Kylo says 'The Jedi, the Sith, let them both die or whatever' he's not saying that he and Rey are Jedi and Sith, he's referring to the antiquated beliefs they share - the idealized institutions they believe will fix things. Rey thought Luke the great Jedi Master would come back and save the day. Ren thought that the Sith were galactic badasses, not seeming to know that Vader renounced being a Sith. Euphronius is right that Ren worshipped Vader, a Sith Lord - but Sith clearly don't worship other Sith. Ren desperately wanted to be a Sith - hence the mask, the red lightsaber, and so on. But he's not one, hence the worship. As Snoke says, he's just a child in a mask.

And speaking of Snoke, the big man himself seems to be imitating Emperor Palpatine more than Darth Sidious. Like, those red guards in RotJ weren't Sith guards - they were just Imperial guards. That is, Republic guards with red armor. Snoke doesn't seem to understand the relationship Vader and Palpatine had. Otherwise, he probably wouldn't be trying to make Ren into a new Vader. If Sith is a religion, then whatever Snoke follows is like some more secular type of dark side belief system. Snoke isn't even trying to restore the Empire, not really. He just seems to want to destroy things - Hosnian Prime, Luke, ephemeral concepts.

So, the two of them are just pretenders.

There're probably heaps of people who call on the Force without being Jedi, and of those people there would be individuals who fall prey to anger and hate or whatever without being Sith.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
"Ren literally worships a Sith Lord" is great argument for why he is Sith. Just like every christian is a God :thunk:

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

It’s literally stated in the movie

I'm still waiting for this direct quote!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Horizon Burning posted:

Yeah they find you at your hideout after and say "You wonna of us now kiddo! Let's a all go anna get some pizza pie!"

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The Chosen One prophecy means that post-Vader the Sith have to call themselves something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

YaketySass posted:

The Chosen One prophecy means that post-Vader the Sith have to call themselves something else.

Don't know how well that works if palpatine lives after falling down to a bottomless pit and exploding inside of death star