Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Schizophonic posted:

I've realised I'm lacking a strong area control element in my collection. We're not the most aggro group but I think it'd be good to branch out a bit; is Kemet still game of choice in this regard or?

If you want only one and you don’t want it to be necessarily aggressive...you want el grande. Still #1 regardless but especially the area majority bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Schizophonic posted:

I've realised I'm lacking a strong area control element in my collection. We're not the most aggro group but I think it'd be good to branch out a bit; is Kemet still game of choice in this regard or?

I recommend Power Grid for any type of game so going to recommend it here. I know some people are not fans but I really like Photosynthesis or if you want man on a map with your area control then Inis which I prefer to Kemet.

Oh also Tash-Kalar.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
yes, Kemet is still the best dudes-on-a-map area control game. Tash-Kalar is very good, one of my top 10, but if you're thinking "I want to play the good version of Risk" then it's not going to do it for you. Also lol at Power Grid or El Grande. They both technically fit the definition but that's like telling someone your favorite pizza is a like

Kemet gets around a lot of the problems of "conflict is scary" groups because you HAVE to fight to get going. If you don't fight, you don't get points. You can't really turtle so its nice to just sock someone. No hard feelings if you beat someone up, they'll get their dudes back. It's THE game for "I'm making the best possible move, which happens to mulch your dudes."

Plus I'm biased maybe but every step we take away from the "choose a card and play it to rock paper scissors your opponent" style of kemet card combat the further we fall from God's grace.

UNLESS you want your dudes on a map game to be a co-op. In that case, Spirit Island is the best. It genuinely feels like you're doing the DOAM area control fire put out thing but you're doing it with your friends! no one can be mad at each other! You'll put together combos that involve giving a tree guy big range so he can make all of the buildings on the coastline opposite his disappear. Fun for a bunch of point optimizers who don't like to kick sandcastles over.

Also, has anyone played the KEMET: SETH expansion? I have no idea if its worth picking up but 1vAll DOAM is such a niche.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 21, 2019

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Impermanent posted:

yes, Kemet is still the best dudes-on-a-map area control game. Tash-Kalar is very good, one of my top 10, but if you're thinking "I want to play the good version of Risk" then it's not going to do it for you.

UNLESS you want your dudes on a map game to be a co-op. In that case, Spirit Island is the best.

Also, has anyone played the KEMET: SETH expansion? I have no idea if its worth picking up but 1vAll DOAM is such a niche.

I'd even go so far as to say that if coop/competitive isn't a major factor for you, that Spirit Island is the better game by a wide margin.

This Saturday at a board game meetup we're planning Inis in the morning and Dominant Species after lunch. I guess it's DOAM-AC day for us.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I don't have any area control in my collection because it's mostly 2 player for me so if anyone has any recommendations for a 2 player area control, seems like a hard thing to find.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Kemet has a downside, in that there's these 48 mostly-unique upgrade tiles laid out in a tableau at the start of the game, which players can start buying immediately. It's a big early-game hump for new players to get over. In my group at least, it's been replaced by Inis, which is similar (same publisher) but with a Celtic theme, an expanding map, and victory conditions rather than points.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Twilight Struggle?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Krazyface posted:

Kemet has a downside, in that there's these 48 mostly-unique upgrade tiles laid out in a tableau at the start of the game, which players can start buying immediately. It's a big early-game hump for new players to get over. In my group at least, it's been replaced by Inis, which is similar (same publisher) but with a Celtic theme, an expanding map, and victory conditions rather than points.

Yep I hated my one play of kemet for this reason.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Aramoro posted:

Twilight Struggle?

I should have been more specific. I use to own Twilight Struggle but it was too long for my wife so maybe something shorter and less bits.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rad Valtar posted:

I should have been more specific. I use to own Twilight Struggle but it was too long for my wife so maybe something shorter and less bits.

Wir sind das Volk. Plays in 1-1.5h and much less bits.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Kemet and Cthulhu Wars are great. Then you've got Root, Chaos in the Old World, or a COIN if you like asymmetrical stuff. Dominant Species or maybe Imperial if you want something heavier.

King of Siam is great if you play with exactly 3 a lot. El Grande if you can consistently get 5.

e: oh I missed the 2p part. Yeah, probably wsdv or Twilight Struggle. There's also a 2p COIN now that people seem to like: https://www.gmtgames.com/p-548-colonial-twilight-the-french-algerian-war-1954-62.aspx

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 22, 2019

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Mr. Squishy posted:

IG caves out it's own space. Companies not having treasuries makes things a lot simpler, and the random draw for dividends obviously brings new elements to the gameplay.
I mean, this is assuming you are getting a lot of Chex played, and want a simpler version. If nobody wants to play games with trains and shares, I wouldn't bother personally.

My friends all prefer Irish Gauge to Chex because it's more straightforward.

I do really like that Chex doesn't have any upkeep style phases. You just take your turns around and around and the game has one end condition.

It has the same.problem which is if someone gets to an early share lead they win.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
King of Siam/The King is Dead is great with 4 as well, for 2v2.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Kemet is the best "better Risk" but Root and Inis also get big nods for doing interesting things in a similar space. Root for the asymmetric factions and the ways they interact, and Inis for the ways it plays with the idea of control and aggression.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Does anyone know where I can get the Santorini promos, specifically for the Roxley version of the game? I don't see them for sale anywhere that has them in stock. Not opposed to printing them if they are uploaded to a website

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Root is good but has an even bigger "first time bad time" problem for players, most people I've seen get frustrated due to not really understanding how the other factions are working, limiting their ability to plan around them. It's a lot liike Chaos in the Old World in that respect.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Hopefully playing Advanced Civ this weekend but it's been like 10 years, any tips/reminders/early strategies I should keep in mind?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

Watergate?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Rad Valtar posted:

13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis feels similar but plays in about 40 minutes. If you think that's still too long, they made an even shorter version of a short game with 13 minutes: The Cuban Missile Crisis which is suppose to play in 13 minutes.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

If you want only one and you don’t want it to be necessarily aggressive...you want el grande. Still #1 regardless but especially the area majority bit.

El Grande is so very very good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bellmaker posted:

Hopefully playing Advanced Civ this weekend but it's been like 10 years, any tips/reminders/early strategies I should keep in mind?

Don't get into spite wars.

Mysticism has great dual color but no green or orange discount which is where metalworking, coinage, astronomy etc are so it's not a slam dunk.

If you're Crete, do not build a city when you get to 8, build a boat and zoom.

Getting sets is way more important than avoiding most early calamities.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Got to play Rajas of the Ganges for a second time and honestly I enjoyed it more than the first, which I'm not sure I was expecting given how solidly mwe it is. The balancing between money and fame is pretty unusual.

Coimbra though? Wow that was...not much. Dice drafting, dice placement, card drafting, tracks, more tracks, a little map with no interaction at all. It was fine to play once, but I honestly don't think I want to play it again.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Ah that's ok then, he just wanted to debate Hitler and defeat him with FACTS and LOGIC no doubt.

Also lol at Hitler being somewhat untoward.

Train games are a route into mental degeneracy.

This Clearclaw thing was a wild ride. I had not even the faintest premonition that it would end with him in full galaxy brain mode claiming that the only reason not to eat dinner with Hitler is if one is too intellectually shallow to appreciate his "fascinating" mix of good (?) and bad ideas.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Gilgameshback posted:

This Clearclaw thing was a wild ride. I had not even the faintest premonition that it would end with him in full galaxy brain mode claiming that the only reason not to eat dinner with Hitler is if one is too intellectually shallow to appreciate his "fascinating" mix of good (?) and bad ideas.
Don't forget, he's not a bad water colourist either! Because that balances out at least some of the atrocitiesuntoward ideas, right?

Train game chat: I played Irish Gauge for the first time with 3 other brand new players. The entire thing took about 75 minutes from box out to box away. It was really simple to teach and play with turns going quickly and after about 15 minutes people started to click with turns to either piggyback off an opponent or spite turns to ruin their future dividends rounds. Decisions were quick but impactful with some fun track blocks being laid out, I'm looking forward to playing it again, hopefully with the same people.

I've never played Chex though so can't compare the two.

E: To echo Tekopo's point I picked this up for around £25 and it's really good value for it. Although I got 2 yellow dividends markers and no red so I coloured one in with a sharpie! We never actually used them though because the maths involved is so simple it's generally quicker to just work it out rather than messing with a disc :shrug:

Redundant fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 22, 2019

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I've had a lot of fun with Irish Gauge and for 30 euros at Essen it was a steal. It packs a lot of mechanisms that I liked about Wabash Cannonball/Chicago Express without some of the backage, it plays quite quickly and one of the groups I played it with immediately wanted to play it again, which is always a good sign.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bellmaker posted:

Asia and Assyria should not both be in the game. Avoid that Thunderdome at all costs.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jedit posted:

Asia and Assyria should not both be in the game. Avoid that Thunderdome at all costs.

If we could have changed the board I think we would have just deleted Asia. There’s no game reason for it and Assyria to exist.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mayveena posted:

If we could have changed the board I think we would have just deleted Asia. There’s no game reason for it and Assyria to exist.

There's a situation where neither Thrace nor Babylon are being played and Asia/Assyria can agree a defensive alliance with a solid border, but that requires the other players to all be idiots because nobody took Babylon.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I forget which of you ordered western empires, but is there anything about the mega civ map, East or west side, that looks awry so I know to avoid it?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Irish Gauge doesn't have Chicago Express's legs imo, but it's a fine game in its own right.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think Kemet is my favorite dunes-on-a-map game.

Schizophonic
Jun 4, 2011
Thanks for the responses guys! I'll look in to what's been mentioned. I should have specified competitive, since I actually already have Spirit Island and it's pretty well received though the usual crowd consider it a bit brainpower intensive to set up on a whim. So I guess I'm looking for some more towards light to mid-weight and maybe fitting 5/6. If I could reliably get Spirit to the table every session and spend a few hours just spooking the colonisers I happily would.

Yeah Kemet not really giving you that much in the way of options up front barring just being aggro (and seemingly not being extremely punishing for those who lose in combat?) is what made me initially lean towards it. I see what people are saying about the upgrade tiles initial stumbling block, but they seem fairly intuitive at a glance even if there's a lot of them. I have more interest in Root thematically and the factions seem very neat, but the barrier of entry certainly seem far higher too.

I've played Inis and did enjoy it, but based off that one play through (and this could be a complete misread, this was one game, a little over an hour, which I won), I got a strong sense that the more informed players became of the game in general, the more likely things would devolve into attrition, doubling play length?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

homullus posted:

I think Kemet is my favorite dunes-on-a-map game.

Noice! (and mine too)

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The thing to know about Kemet is it's an engine building game disguised as an area control/doam game, the doam aspect is pretty much just a resolution phase for the powers you draft and turn order as there's almost no texture to the map itself. If you get it, I'd strongly recommend printing out a copy of the tile cheat sheet for everyone, because the game only comes with one and you're going to be referencing it a lot as new players.

Root isn't particularly bad for new players if you can have an experienced player teach and move the game along. The game I played to learn had 3 new players and one experienced player teaching and still only took about an hour.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

taser rates posted:

The thing to know about Kemet is it's an engine building game disguised as an area control/doam game, the doam aspect is pretty much just a resolution phase for the powers you draft and turn order as there's almost no texture to the map itself. If you get it, I'd strongly recommend printing out a copy of the tile cheat sheet for everyone, because the game only comes with one and you're going to be referencing it a lot as new players.

Root isn't particularly bad for new players if you can have an experienced player teach and move the game along. The game I played to learn had 3 new players and one experienced player teaching and still only took about an hour.

Yeah Kemet is good but weird as a Dudes on a Map game as basically they first thing you do is start teleporting round the map making the whole map part less important.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

"My game that I playtested extensively and people unfairly complained about unbalance...hey can yall try these potential fixes out and report back?"

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2316659/official-tapestry-civilization-adjustments

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

silvergoose posted:

"My game that I playtested extensively and people unfairly complained about unbalance...hey can yall try these potential fixes out and report back?"

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2316659/official-tapestry-civilization-adjustments

I welcome this new age of patches for board games

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I have no interest in Stonemaier games after Scythe, but this seems like a good thing? He's taken a step back and actually admitted there's balance issues and is attempting to address them? Seems fruitless to call him out on hypocrisy when he is making a positive change. People should be encouraged when they pivot in the correct direction.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Speaking of Kemet and patches, the 1.5 rules were finalized a while back and the rewrite for Ta-Seti 1.5 is currently seeking feedback

Base Kemet: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2270796/kemet-v15-rulebook/page/1

Ta-Seti: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2311841/kemet-ta-seti-v15/page/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Megasabin posted:

I have no interest in Stonemaier games after Scythe, but this seems like a good thing? He's taken a step back and actually admitted there's balance issues and is attempting to address them? Seems fruitless to call him out on hypocrisy when he is making a positive change. People should be encouraged when they pivot in the correct direction.

I'm mostly poking fun at the fans who say things like "who cares about balance except tournament style players who can go find a different game" who are also saying this is a great thing.