Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nuns with Guns posted:

Thanks for saying I have brainworms because I stated "rapidash cavalries probably existed", I guess. I don't see where I demanded detailed rules regarding mounted pokemon combat and honestly you're spinning a lot of fanfic out of a two word statement from one guy.

But since we're on the topic, hey, I wonder what the perfect pokemon tabletop RPG would look like...

So I've already pushed hard for something based on Digimon, and one of my other suggestions, Medabots is something that can be easily done with basically any decent Mecha based system(as it's main differences from other Mecha settings are primarily scale and the fact that heavily armed robots are considered safe enough for schoolchildren to buy and own), so I'm going in another direction, I'm still fiddling with a concept for a Yugioh RPG that would use a simplified version of the actual card game for it's primary combat system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

drrockso20 posted:

So I've already pushed hard for something based on Digimon, and one of my other suggestions, Medabots is something that can be easily done with basically any decent Mecha based system(as it's main differences from other Mecha settings are primarily scale and the fact that heavily armed robots are considered safe enough for schoolchildren to buy and own), so I'm going in another direction, I'm still fiddling with a concept for a Yugioh RPG that would use a simplified version of the actual card game for it's primary combat system

It might not be simplified enough, but have you looked into Speed Dueling?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

potatocubed posted:

I unironically think more RPGs should have space for custom titles you can earn, especially if they do something mechanically.
That dreadful "The Secret Fire" heartbreaker FRPG had this as one of its few cool features - every time you gained a level, you added a custom title or adjective (that accurately captured something notable you did during your level) to you character name.

Level 1: Bill
Level 2: Bill the Brave
Level 3: Bill the Brave, Slayer of the Frost Wyrm Xyxxyz
Level 9: Bill the Brave, Slayer of the Frost Wyrm Xyxxyz, Elf-Friend, Upholder of the Crimson Pact, Savior of Homegarden, Tyrant-Smasher, the Resurrected, Eater of Pies, Explorer of the Lost Continent

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

It might not be simplified enough, but have you looked into Speed Dueling?

That's actually what inspired me to start fiddling with the idea, alongside a thread on /tg/ about the topic last year, so yeah for my take on the concept it would share a lot in common with Speed Duels and Duel Links, including having special abilities that would effect the duel(also while players would shuffle their decks like normal, DM controlled decks would be in a predetermined layout)

Really though the big stumbling block for this concept is in regards to how to balance deck building, I know I want it to be point based(as several of the video games have used a similar system), and that leveling your character increases how many points you have(thus emulating how in the original anime and manga everyone starts off with really lovely decks and gradually over time make them better), and that characters would have traits and abilities that alter the system(so a character might have one that for example let's them add Dinosaur type monsters to their deck for a reduced cost), so basically the biggest issue is developing a point system for cards that has at least some degree of balance to it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FMguru posted:

That dreadful "The Secret Fire" heartbreaker FRPG had this as one of its few cool features - every time you gained a level, you added a custom title or adjective (that accurately captured something notable you did during your level) to you character name.

Level 1: Bill
Level 2: Bill the Brave
Level 3: Bill the Brave, Slayer of the Frost Wyrm Xyxxyz
Level 9: Bill the Brave, Slayer of the Frost Wyrm Xyxxyz, Elf-Friend, Upholder of the Crimson Pact, Savior of Homegarden, Tyrant-Smasher, the Resurrected, Eater of Pies, Explorer of the Lost Continent

reminds me of dwarf fortress

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Thanks for saying I have brainworms because I stated "rapidash cavalries probably existed", I guess. I don't see where I demanded detailed rules regarding mounted pokemon combat and honestly you're spinning a lot of fanfic out of a two word statement from one guy.

But since we're on the topic, hey, I wonder what the perfect pokemon tabletop RPG would look like...

May be the strangest dog to have in this fight, but Plutonis actually cut off a more detailed portion of the reply.

There was a pseudo-Pokemon setting and new mechanics made for Pathfinder known as Mystical: Kingdom of Monsters. it got high reviews from many players, although when it comes to PF that's no indication of the quality of balance.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

reminds me of dwarf fortress

time is subjective

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

I know he did because I went and looked for it yesterday morning to see if he actually launched into some long essay about his ideal pokemon game, and really it's just the same inoffensive level of "it's as open/detailed as you want it to be" that half the posts were when the debate sincerely opened up here. His image of a pokemon game being "just a regular Role Playing Game" might imply he'd end up transposing it over 3.5e D&D based on the context but that's not really out of line with the suggestions to apply it to Gamma World or Shadow of the Demon Lord or Strike that came up here. He even ends up citing the same factoid about the Kalos war in a follow up post while pointing out that the pokemon world is clearly demilitarized now, but it's also a canon part of history if you were interested in playing in that time period.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

I know he did because I went and looked for it yesterday morning to see if he actually launched into some long essay about his ideal pokemon game, and really it's just the same inoffensive level of "it's as open/detailed as you want it to be" that half the posts were when the debate sincerely opened up here. His image of a pokemon game being "just a regular Role Playing Game" might imply he'd end up transposing it over 3.5e D&D based on the context but that's not really out of line with the suggestions to apply it to Gamma World or Shadow of the Demon Lord or Strike that came up here. He even ends up citing the same factoid about the Kalos war in a follow up post while pointing out that the pokemon world is clearly demilitarized now, but it's also a canon part of history if you were interested in playing in that time period.

Frank is, honestly, a really boring designer and people expect him to go batshit crazy like he does with 3E constantly, but just take one look at his WoD rip-off After Sundown to get a better idea for how boring and milquetoast he actually is

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/necrobranson/status/1197902140947255298?s=20

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

This is why I (mostly) stopped playing dnd/pathfinder. I felt like every single one of my players was so obsessed with getting every single number bonus they could, and thus would design and play their characters around these niche rules.

It's fun for a while but I'm just completely bored with it now

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

look if you don't have a spell for getting married, complete with a mechanical bonus, then you can't get married in the game, you 4th edition loving idiot

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I kind of love all the absurdity in 3.5/pf that comes with justifying weird mechanically strong choices

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if you want to be the gently caress a group, you have to take the group fucker feat

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Andrast posted:

I kind of love all the absurdity in 3.5/pf that comes with justifying weird mechanically strong choices

Yeah one of these days I'll go back and run 3.5 with all the absurdity at 11 and just watch all my encounters get smashed by an anthropomorphic whale who has a vow of poverty or something.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm surprised Vegan isn't a feat yet.

There's something depressing about people affirming their personal preferences through game mechanics. Like they've internalized that an identity is not valid unless it gives a pretend half-elf +2 to two skill rolls.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

Yeah one of these days I'll go back and run 3.5 with all the absurdity at 11 and just watch all my encounters get smashed by an anthropomorphic whale who has a vow of poverty or something.

You should. 3.5 is great fun when everyone is on the same page about abusing the gently caress out of all the rules and obscure splatbooks to break the poo poo out of it.

It's easy to GM too since you can just go "sure, that probably makes sense if I squint a bit" to everything

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

moths posted:

There's something depressing about people affirming their personal preferences through game mechanics. Like they've internalized that an identity is not valid unless it gives a pretend half-elf +2 to two skill rolls.

yea there's something deeply protestant work ethic about 'wait how can my elf be married in this fantasy escapist game, it doesn't give me any BONUSES'

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Andrast posted:

You should. 3.5 is great fun when everyone is on the same page about abusing the gently caress out of all the rules and obscure splatbooks to break the poo poo out of it.

It's easy to GM too since you can just go "sure, that probably makes sense if I squint a bit" to everything

Oh, I'm aware. I have a shitton of 3.5 books and know the system pretty well. My issue was that as someone who wants to run more traditional D&D games with not so much craziness, it was always a clash of expectations. I own a copy of Savage Species, I respect what it was trying to do, it's just not what I want in my games usually.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

There was a Murphy's post that went all in on the PF marriage rules that involved knocking two people out, marrying them in an lavish ceremony while they were unconscious, and then leaving with your save bonus. Imagine, waking up with a splitting headache in the woods, wearing a tux, and next to a random, also tuxedoed, orc underneath a balloon arch. "Gods damnit," you think, "loving adventurers got me married again."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

yea there's something deeply protestant work ethic about 'wait how can my elf be married in this fantasy escapist game, it doesn't give me any BONUSES'

in fairness i imagine the idea started more as a 'hey priests in real life marry people, that'd be a cute fluffy thing to add in as a divine spell' but everything in d&d has to boil down to number fuckery so it had to do something to justify it existing

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Arivia posted:

Oh, I'm aware. I have a shitton of 3.5 books and know the system pretty well. My issue was that as someone who wants to run more traditional D&D games with not so much craziness, it was always a clash of expectations. I own a copy of Savage Species, I respect what it was trying to do, it's just not what I want in my games usually.

This is exactly why I keep eyeballing OSR games despite never having played oldschool roleplaying games. The first fantasy tabletop I ever played was Pathfinder, and the closest it ever came to feeling the way I wanted it to was when all I owned was the beginner box.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember getting in an online argument once because somebody looked at Strahd's curse and said "What an idiot, he could easily solve this by using spells A, B, and C to make her love him."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

This is exactly why I keep eyeballing OSR games despite never having played oldschool roleplaying games. The first fantasy tabletop I ever played was Pathfinder, and the closest it ever came to feeling the way I wanted it to was when all I owned was the beginner box.

Definitely bring up what you want in the old-school/retroclone thread. There's almost guaranteed an old-school game for what you want, but because there's so many it can be difficult to find the one that's exactly what you want. (Mine was Basic D&D + the ability to add on as much craziness and cruft as I wanted from 1e AD&D.)

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Darwinism posted:

Frank is, honestly, a really boring designer and people expect him to go batshit crazy like he does with 3E constantly, but just take one look at his WoD rip-off After Sundown to get a better idea for how boring and milquetoast he actually is

The only thing I remember from that was the tarot based advancement auction at the end of each session.

Granted, adversarial level ups among the party are... Uh... Odd for a lot of reasons, but it was interesting.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Darwinism posted:

It always was disappointing to see 3.5e theorycrafters talk big about the potential of unlimited energy from skeletons walking on treadmills and infinite resources like food or water-creating spells and magic items, and then they get lost in the weeds of carefully simulating completely mundane poo poo that nobody needs rules for.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure

moths posted:

Book of Exalted Deeds. Vow of Purity. It's either vegetarian or vegan depending on if you consider milk to be dead cow, for instance.

BoED posted:

to fulfill your vow, you must avoid all contact with dead creatures, including meat cooked for food

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Flail Snail posted:

Book of Exalted Deeds. Vow of Purity. It's either vegetarian or vegan depending on if you consider milk to be dead cow, for instance.

I'm imagining a vindictive gm trying to make the pc lose their powers but its really just going to be that one scene from Scott Pilgrim.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I'm imagining a vindictive gm trying to make the pc lose their powers but its really just going to be that one scene from Scott Pilgrim.

I want vegan police in my game

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

PinheadSlim posted:

There's definitely some good ones out there, I can give some recommendations if you want

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

by the transitive property, this means ships' captains are clerics

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

drrockso20 posted:

There's definitely some good ones out there, I can give some recommendations if you want

I just posted a slightly more detailed request in the oldschool thread, I'd love any recommendations so check it out

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Leperflesh posted:

by the transitive property, this means ships' captains are clerics

Yes, but ships can only grant level one divine magic.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Is there an etiquette for starting a ttrpg at a local game store? I'm considering putting together a Delta Green group using meetup or something...let's say I find enough people interested, do we just show up during the game store's posted "public gaming" time? Or would it be appropriate to ask the manager or owner ahead of time? It's Delta Green, so the group would need to be 18+ and there will likely be coarse language and dark subject matter

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The tradeoff the polyamory feat is that you're now insufferable about it and also you're literally always commiserating with one partner about some fight you had with another.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Is there an etiquette for starting a ttrpg at a local game store? I'm considering putting together a Delta Green group using meetup or something...let's say I find enough people interested, do we just show up during the game store's posted "public gaming" time? Or would it be appropriate to ask the manager or owner ahead of time? It's Delta Green, so the group would need to be 18+ and there will likely be coarse language and dark subject matter

Just be a responsible adult and talk to the store

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

starkebn posted:

Just be a responsible adult and talk to the store

Who will in turn just sort of vaguely gesture towards the boards where people post things.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

theironjef posted:

Who will in turn just sort of vaguely gesture towards the boards where people post things.

I find a stores Facebook page (or a phone call :v:) is the best way to get answers to quick simple questions.

"Can I use your tables to play an RPG this weekend?"

"Yes."

"Cool, any rules I should know about?"

"Don't clog the shitter"

"Alright I'll try my best, thanks for your help!"

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pretty much what everyone else said.

Also, while you're there, buy something. Even just some snacks and sodas, if not a book or dice or whatever depending on your means. The space and location is free but it's good form to actually give them money in exchange even just to signal appreciation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea really all that needs to be said is 'don't be a dick' and 'it's polite to buy something, even if it's just some cheapo dice or sodas for the table or something', most game stores are cool with table space being used to make the store nice and active looking