Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Looking good so far! You doing regiments from all the Old Word cities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

The Deleter posted:

Looking good so far! You doing regiments from all the Old Word cities?

Nah going to go full landsknecht and every individual soldier brings their own colours, so the unifying colours will be the leather and steel. All the old world will definitely be represented though.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

For some reason your primer looks way more even than mine, just rattlecan?

Also thanks for the ogor advice, got some leadbelchers a mawpot and a butcher.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

canada jezus posted:

For some reason your primer looks way more even than mine, just rattlecan?

Also thanks for the ogor advice, got some leadbelchers a mawpot and a butcher.

Yeah just a wraithbone spray

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Ogor Mawtribes Review

RagnarokAngel spills the beans on the new Ogor Mawtribes book.

Chiwie fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 25, 2019

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Chiwie posted:

Start Competing: Adeptus Custodes Tactics

RagnarokAngel spills the beans on the new Ogor Mawtribes book.
I really like their articles about AoS, thank you.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Got my first game in with Bonereapers today and they are certainly tough, but they will suffer in objective games.

I won by one VP against a squig list with two manglers, a big unit of bounders, and a troggoth hag. Katakros is an animal once he gets hurt enough and he rolled a table quarter on his own bouncing back and forth with about 3-6 wounds remaining.

Catapults are not completely ridiculous but Katakros giving them an extra attack means that those 5 damage skull shots are a constant threat. Lack of rend doesn't hurt them that badly when the can nuke anything on a bad save roll. Their bravery shot did yeomans work too.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Mugaaz posted:

They need the hodpodge of planes for it to be possible for a lot of the factions to interact. That was a major problem for WHFB, some of the factions had no reason to ever interact.

I don’t think that’s a huge problem because it’s not hard to come up with your own head canon for why two armies would interact.

But even so that’s an easy fix.

1. Add a Macguffin that all armies are pursuing. Like how mordheim has armies searching for shards.
2. Let factions have multiple disparate territories instead of ALL DARK ELVES HERE, ALL BRETONNIANS THERE.
3. Redesign the world so there’s less ocean, more land, and more neutral areas that no faction have control over.

I strongly prefer one world but it’s good to hear that the planes are getting fleshed out nicely. I still don’t really understand them though and it does kind of seem like DND planes in my head.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My biggest beef with total warhammer is how difficult it is to get my dwarves into ongoing battle with the elves. The very distinct and seperated factions of fantasy make sense for an adventure story or whatever but not really for an all factions fighting wargame.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

My biggest beef with total warhammer is how difficult it is to get my dwarves into ongoing battle with the elves. The very distinct and seperated factions of fantasy make sense for an adventure story or whatever but not really for an all factions fighting wargame.

Sounds like the game developers go in the book.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mugaaz posted:

They need the hodpodge of planes for it to be possible for a lot of the factions to interact. That was a major problem for WHFB, some of the factions had no reason to ever interact.

Or just, you know, smash armies together because it's just a game?

I get that a compelling backstory is fun, but, like JIZZ DENOUEMENT stated, it's not hard to make up a reason as to why two armies are fighting. Most real wars happen over two things - resources or religion/ideological differences (which are usually really a resource grab anyway.)

And what factions in WFB had no reason to interact? Everyone was always going to war over petty crap (or Orc or Chaos incursions) all of the time, so I don't see the issue with any of the factions battling each other? Even Lizards were easy - someone stole a holy relic from one of their temples, so they show up in the Old World to get it back.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm assuming he means geographically, which sort of betrays a lack of fluff literacy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I strongly prefer one world but it’s good to hear that the planes are getting fleshed out nicely. I still don’t really understand them though and it does kind of seem like DND planes in my head.

I think of it as Planescape but if the Blood War spilled out into the rest of the outer planes and the and Sigmar as the Lady of Pain.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Thinking of them as different dimensions works for me. You just have gates that allow you to move between.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

JBP posted:

In tabletop though it's hella easy to just handwave it. "There is an elf expedition in the border princes for reasons and oh poo poo, dwarfs!"

It only creates a problem in TW because it's a map-based strategy game that doesn't really support the small, limited, constant war that Warhammer the setting described. You're either committing in the end-game to conquering all the elves as dwarfs, or you don't interact with them much at all.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
The new Centaur thing from Beast Grave is an andalite and I won't hear anything otherwise. It even has the bladed tail.

Seriously though, these Kurnothi models are super cool.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
x-posting damp elf

richyp posted:

Yesterday's painting (the rusty golem dude above) was me trying to figure out water. Today's was putting it into practice.

I received this handsome gent as a secret santa gift on Discord, so today I painted him

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Getting my Chaos Warriors around

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shadow and Blade DLC for TW:W2

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Is the malign sorcery box worth picking up as a predominantly skaven player? I already have the skaven endless spells but someone just posted the MS kit for like $30 on a private FB group I am a part of

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Malus Darkblade going down like a lil punk was one of the worst parts of the End Times.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clawtopsy posted:

The End Times was the worst part of the End Times.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The Nagash book was cool

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
I've been doing some modifications on my AoS stuff and I'm having a lot of trouble finding fantasy bits, especially more generic ones - everything I find when I google is 40k stuff. Are there any good sites that traffic in a good variety of fantasy bits? Totally generic bits would be my preference but I guess "we disassembled this AoS sprue to sell individual things" works fine but it would be nice to have some other choices in fantasy.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
There aren't a lot of fantasy models out there that are multi part. WFB was pretty much it, and there aren't really any extra bits on AOS stuff. You've pretty much got Mantic and Perry Bros medievals and most other stuff is one off resins.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Frostgrave has a decent kit but the quality is on par with the oldest GW kits and none of it is uniform. If you can find it, the empire free company militia kit is probably the best bit kit out there.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I Was The Fury posted:

Is the malign sorcery box worth picking up as a predominantly skaven player? I already have the skaven endless spells but someone just posted the MS kit for like $30 on a private FB group I am a part of

Hey, Skaven bro. I also play predominantly Skaven (Skryre to be specific).

Cogs are good for casting more spells with your cheap wizards, the spellportal is great for dropping your spells directly on their head, and you can make a hilarious "cage" with the Shackles combined with the Warp Lightning Vortex.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

I Was The Fury posted:

Admittedly youll probably only use one or two spells from it but for 30 bucks the chronomatic cogs pay for the set.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Floppychop posted:

Hey, Skaven bro. I also play predominantly Skaven (Skryre to be specific).

Cogs are good for casting more spells with your cheap wizards, the spellportal is great for dropping your spells directly on their head, and you can make a hilarious "cage" with the Shackles combined with the Warp Lightning Vortex.

I just got the Malign Sorcery box myself, can you elaborate on the bolded part?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

I just got the Malign Sorcery box myself, can you elaborate on the bolded part?

You set up both spells in a Star of David pattern around a model with a sufficiently large base. You basically just base-block them in and the Vortex keeps them in even if they can fly.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.

berzerkmonkey posted:

There aren't a lot of fantasy models out there that are multi part. WFB was pretty much it, and there aren't really any extra bits on AOS stuff. You've pretty much got Mantic and Perry Bros medievals and most other stuff is one off resins.

drat, I really thought there would be some companies out there just straight up MAKING fantasy bits in 28mm. I'm not anywhere skilled enough to make the little things I need out of green stuff and whatnot so it's sounding like I'll literally have to buy full models with the poo poo I need.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

If you have some of the bits and want more, you could always look into casting yourself a few extra pieces. There's also shapeways and the like if you want someone else to do the work for you.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

there are almost no 3rd party AoS/fantasy bits compared to 40k, separate GW components are usually easier to get your hands on. ebay is good if you want common poo poo (stormcast sword arms & the like), if you're in the UK bitzbox have been good for me in the past too.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 28, 2019

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure AoS has also experienced some scale creep, so that a lot of the "normal" models are big alongside regular people from other 25 and 28mm fantasy ranges. That could also make offbrand bits look a little weird.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Admittedly youll probably only use one or two spells from it but for 30 bucks the chronomatic cogs pay for the set.

Very much situational depending on the army (cities loves em) but cogs itself is worth the price of admission.

Also, technically, access to a bunch of realm artefacts too.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Very much situational depending on the army (cities loves em) but cogs itself is worth the price of admission.

Also, technically, access to a bunch of realm artefacts too.

That's in the game book which I reccomend as a must buy for even the most casual player. Unlike the 40k one its really loving good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Went 1-2 in a local tourney with my Ironjawz. I both benefited and suffered from lucky objective placements.

Really got torn up by Sylvaneth. The Spirit of Durthu being able to do 6 damage per hit seems excessive.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/12/01/coming-soon-chaos-cults-ogre-teams-war-in-rohan-and-more/

The new Slaves of Darkness releases goes up for pre-order this weekend. Including expanded Warcry warband boxes to serve as core units for them.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
oh man I hope they're markable.

Cypher Lords and Unmade looking like two different sides of a Slaanesh mortal contingent.

also a flying chaos portal vomiting fire what's not to like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Kind of want to run the serpent bois and the crow crew as two crews of pirates in my cities of sigmar (along my free company)