Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Only $4,628.95

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1198300308230701056

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hey, at least I think Trek has never done an elven swordsman before.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Why am I supposed to care about samurai Romulan enough to put him on a promo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like that they're at least implying multiple characters will be developed unlike Discovery, but yeah. Nobody gives a poo poo about anyone but Picard and Seven for the promo materials since we have no connection to the elves or whatever.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

zero hype over here

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
If long-haired dorks with ninjaswords don't scream Star Trek, I don't know what does.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Always nice to see the dead assassin guy from Lexx getting work.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HorseLord posted:

The american disability subcultures are extremely strange, the people in them seem proud that they've been ghettoized, to the point that cures for deafness, prevention of being born with birth defects etc are considered "genocidal".

Where I live the disability activism movement was entirely the opposite thing. Disabled people were mad at this kind of ghettoization and demanded that whatever had to be done to allow them access to mainstream society be done. So there is no "deaf culture", there is just culture and some people are deaf, so they need to be accommodated.

I can only imagine how their kids must feel. "Sorry Timmy, we could've got you ear implants but the hardship and social ostracism you suffer without them makes you unique!"
A lot of this is exactly what happens in America, albeit with less success in many cases. I cannot really speculate on the inner workings of this sub-community but I can see a point that if they have developed a distinctive language and some customs, and now it is like "yeah throw all that poo poo out we're gonna give you implants," there would be resistance, a feeling of loss, even if this might be primarily and formally recorded in collegiate journals and so on.

A lot of the medical technology in Star Trek would have major implications, some of which have been barely explored. Gender conformation surgery appears to be incredibly simple for them, for instance. This would be an unalloyed, unqualified boon for millions of people - but it also has impact on dramatic narrative, which is a factor for storytelling reasons, and you could say that it erases things by solving them.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Delsaber posted:

The dead do not work.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Even the Vulcans have signature melee weapons, as well as the Klingons, and even humans, why not the Romulans?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even the Vulcans have signature melee weapons, as well as the Klingons, and even humans, why not the Romulans?
Humans don't have a signature melee weapon, we have the axehandle punch, the unstoppable combat maneuver hard won through five thousand years of conflict.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
I want to see Romulans because I think that they're a Trek race with a lot of unexplored potential in canon for interesting storytelling, but I also don't want to see Romulans because I'm pretty sure CBS is gonna gently caress it up.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Uncle Lloyd posted:

I want to see Romulans because I think that they're a Trek race with a lot of unexplored potential in canon for interesting storytelling, but I also don't want to see Romulans because I'm pretty sure CBS is gonna gently caress it up.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Nessus posted:

Humans don't have a signature melee weapon, we have the axehandle punch, the unstoppable combat maneuver hard won through five thousand years of conflict.

This got me to wondering. Has a phaser set to stun ever accidentally killed anyone? Like how tasers do sometimes in real life?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ruddiger posted:

This got me to wondering. Has a phaser set to stun ever accidentally killed anyone? Like how tasers do sometimes in real life?

Burke and Samno were killed by a phaser set to stun at close range.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ruddiger posted:

Stun can kill at close range. It happens in Undiscovered Country. That was on purpose though

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Delsaber posted:

lol, if it really is the same guy then my interest has tripled

note that this is still not saying much

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ruddiger posted:

Level IV autopsy scan indicates cause of death as "excited delirium".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ruddiger posted:

Yea I think the TNG manual even says that the heavy stun setting is more "less lethal" than "non-lethal." I think anything over light stun has risks, you're just not gonna be skeleton-vaporizing people on a grazing hit.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Their signature melee weapons are cunning and treachery. :colbert:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Honestly, the Romulans can't be any more ruined than they have been in all the horrible Romulan media. And yet dispute all that I still find the concept of Romulans really interesting.

So bring on the Romulan Samurai. At least it's novel.

A stoic traditionalist warrior from a doomed culture looking to make a future for his people? I've seen worse plot hooks for supporting characters. Honestly that doesn't even seem like the questionable kind of premise you can grimdark up and make gross. It's all right there, with a nice positive conclusion set up (Picard, being a good guy, helps the Romulan, a former adversary who might have different values). It's not deep, but it seems like it could be fun and good. I'm not above enjoying the cliche elven swordsman aesthetic just because we're in 'serious' Star Trek.

Hinging on the actor/direction of course. The biggest danger is honestly this character just being boring. But I'm not going to assume that ahead of time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's fine, but it's also a very LOTR movie elf-y look for a Star Trek character and funny. It'll all depend on how it's actually executed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's fine, but it's also a very LOTR movie elf-y look for a Star Trek character and funny. It'll all depend on how it's actually executed.

The Romulans are literally just space Dark Elves so

Also y'know, Klingons are a thing

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

V'teri, what do your Romulan eyes see?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If they wanted a Romulan sword guy they should've given him a space gladius. Maybe a spatha.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

V'teri, what do your Romulan eyes see?

V'teri: That is one of the warbirds, if my eyes do not deceive me.

Picard: D'deridex is the lord of all warbirds, and has been my friend through many dangers.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Grand Fromage posted:

If they wanted a Romulan sword guy they should've given him a space gladius. Maybe a spatha.

This would have been great

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I always did sorta like how incredibly good Star Fleet was at close combat, even the Klingons couldn't go hand to hand with them.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Obviously the Romulan melee weapon should be one of those sleeve attack dogs.

ruddiger posted:

Does the phaser "know" what charge is more effective against what species, making it more potentially deadly towards weird, unkown races, or is it just the same thing for every species that coincidentally just usually works?

And who the hell sets their microwave phaser to medium, it's always either defrost stun or high.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

The real settings are "kill" and "Really kill, where medical science only had a 50% chance at reviving them"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

The real settings are "kill" and "Really kill, where medical science only had a 50% chance at reviving them"

Worf, Worf or Chakotay: "Ensign Gashus was... was vaporized."
Crusher, Bashir or EMH: "Did you recover the vapor?"
Riker, Dax or Torres: "Right here!" *carries in large container, sets it on bio-bed*
Crusher, Bashir or EMH: "Prepare a hyronalin series and engage the transporter buffer."
Ogawa, unnamed extra or Kes: "It's not working!"
Crusher, Bashir or EMH: "We're losing him or her! Cortical encabulators to maximum!"
Ogawa, unnamed extra or Kes: "Doctor?"
Crusher, Bashir or EMH: "Do it!"
Vapor container: *twitches*
Crusher, Bashir or EMH: "Again!"
Vapor container: *twitches, but less than before*
Crusher, Bashir or EMH: "Again!"
Vapor container: *nothing*
Crusher, Bashir or EMH: "He or she is gone."

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

the writers were mining beta-canon for poo poo they could use, so maybe they stole the idea from STO lol

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Sword_of_the_Raptor_Star

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Looking for Par'Mach in All The Wrong Places is so close to being an amazing episode. I didn't like the romantic longing looks between Miles and Kira at the end - up until that point it all worked as just Miles and Keiko both getting weird and obsessed with looking after Kira, and Kira needing to get the gently caress away before it crossed some boundaries.

And Grillka owns, and genuinely has a really fun flirty relationship with Quark in her first appearance, sucks that she barely got to do anything this episode.

Dax is always treat, and I'll never get tired of this starfleet nerd secretly being a better Klingon than half the actual Klingons.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Eiba posted:

horrible Romulan media.

THE HORRIBLE ROMULAN MEDIA! EMOTIONAL!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dukat ordering his second in command to help fix his relationship with his daughter is peak Dukat.

E: How big is the Dominion? They just lost like 2000 ships in the wormhole (goddamn Sisko, dude didn’t even flinch when he saw the entire fleet disintegrate at his say so), but the war still rages on like nothing happened? How big is starfleet too? They were taking losses like crazy during the last few episodes.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 24, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Dominion seems to be HUGE and just pumps out ships and more importantly cloned crews

Star Fleet is as big as it needs to be for the plot, usually unbelievably tiny for the volume of space it'd need to cover. DS9 certainly improves this somewhat

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Rondmoore said his head canon for Starfleet was about 30,000 ships. The only on-screen reference is when Discovery says Starfleet has about 7,000. The Dominion's numbers are unspecified and vast. The Dominion also does not give a poo poo about casualties.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Rondmoore said his head canon for Starfleet when writing was about 30,000 ships. The only on-screen reference is when Discovery says Starfleet has about 7,000. The Dominion's numbers are unspecified and vast.

But in TNG losing like 40 ships was a huge blow to the federation.

Obviously they would care about the loss of life, but they implied the fleet's overall effectiveness was heavily impacted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ruddiger posted:

Dukat ordering his second in command to help fix his relationship with his daughter is peak Dukat.

E: How big is the Dominion? They just lost like 2000 ships in the wormhole (goddamn Sisko, dude didn’t even flinch when he saw the entire fleet disintegrate at his say so), but the war still rages on like nothing happened? How big is starfleet too? They were taking losses like crazy during the last few episodes.

There has been some good fans statistics work on this of course. At the rate it seems to take to manufacture starships, and the service lives that seem common in the series, and the cited number of around 150 member homeworlds, some fans worked out the Starfleet should have around 1500 to 2000 Starships. This would make Fleet losses like a hundred ships in some DS9 episodes plausible without ending the war on the spot. The way this can be reconciled with only ship in the sector plots is that space and the Federation are really big. It would take a long time to mass and reorganize the fleet for Combined action.

Thus it is plausible that the Federation lost multiple 100 ship combined fleets in the Dominion war and kept fighting oh, but the loss of 40 ships at Wolf 359 left nothing between the Borg and Earth.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 24, 2019