Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Koil posted:

Citcon in 3 images:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

You know, Crobbers kinda looks like Winnie the Pooh

He's like poo, alright

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Games > Star Citizen: Crouching Bagman, Hidden Crobear

:discourse:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Star Citizen: Chris Robert's is a Hot Bear

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bootcha posted:

I have my story.

Now I just need to figure out how to tell it.

Have you considered the kazoo?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Koil posted:

Citcon in 3 images:

This is absolutely mind blowing

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
redit thinking the bear thing is something to do with anything other than me off offhandedly saying 'I dunno, photoshop chris's face onto a bear or something' is hilarious, all hail the crobear

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Popete posted:

This is my speculation but.

I wonder if Chris is getting pushed to the side at this point. He rarely makes appearances anymore and his convention keynote he seemed to just want it to be done with. Perhaps he is growing tired of the project himself and wants to move on. 7 years is a long time and it's nowhere near complete, he's probably starting to feel at least a little pressure to wrap it up.

Yeah it really feels like things are winding down towards some conclusion. They've scaled back their public profile to almost nothing over the past 2 years, about all they do now is churn out some low effort videos about caves or whatever pointless poo poo they've shoved into the PU recently and hang out around the margins of games industry conventions. Chris showed up on camera two or three times this year including CITCON, and he mostly just looks like he is over the whole thing and couldn't wait to get off the stage. Sandi (the head of marketing) didn't even bother to show up and wasn't even mentioned.

CITCON itself was a just an unashamedly boring slog of 90% filler, which could barely get an applause even from its audience of hardcore whales. Their big centerpiece was just another empty lifeless planet with a small cutup map of a space shopping mall to walk around in. Again it was all just window dressing for another boring scripted fetch quest with broken stealth and FPS mechanics, and over an hour of interminable flying, driving and walking with no real gameplay. They didn't even bother claiming that anything would get significantly better in 2020, as they just seemed to want to acclimate backers to the idea that this glacial drip feed of non-content will continue indefinitely.

There wasn't even an attempt to try to tie everything into a vision of how the game could possibly come together into a coherent and fun experience in the next few years. It's supposed to be this amazing do anything space sandbox, but unless you are Rexzilla and have team of lackeys and support from the devs, its almost impossible to expirience the PU this way. It has no systems to support or reward large scale PvP. On the other hand its scripted content is too rudimentary and sparse to make it a viable MMO RPG.

Squadron 42, which is only supposedly months away from Beta was never even mentioned. They couldn't even be bothered to slap together another cinematic trailer for it, let alone show a gameplay demo. I guess Chris will let Lando break the news of its inevitable delay in some video after the holidays.

The whole thing felt lifeless and perfunctory. Not even a new JPEG or progress on capital ships came out of it. I can't imagine them having another physical convention next year, not with the diminishing attendance and the expense of renting a venue and putting on a show. With Chris just sort of trailing off at the end and thanking the backers and devs with a sort of weary and resignated sincerity, it all had a sense of finality.

I am really starting to wonder whether Chris is finally heading for the exit. He's got to realize after 9 years that the game is never going to come together. It will never turn a corner and have a triumphant launch that will put him back on top on of the industry. Now, he's just the laughing stock of his peers. Maybe the Calder investment was just the first step towards selling off the company, or something else drastic is happening behind the scenes.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 24, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Chris tends to announce big round citizen number milestones with "Letter from the Chairman" articles.

One million citizens, October 13th, 2015

Two million citizens, April 17th, 2018

If we assume these were posted roughly around the time they hit their respective marks, it took 917 days to get from one million to two million citizens. That's ~1090 citizens per day - obviously they probably didn't sign up in batches of exactly 1090 per day, but the citizens/day ratio is illustrative nonetheless. We're now at 2,424,519 citizens, and it has been 585 days since we hit 2 million citizens. That works out to ~725 citizens/day, or a ~33% reduction in the rate new citizens are signing up.

That's not exactly bulletproof math right there, because like I said people don't sign up at a steady, continuous rate throughout the year (or years), but it is interesting. If they want to make it from 2 million to 3 million in the same time frame they went from 1 million to 2 million, they'll need to add ~1733 new citizens per day for the next 332 days.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/badnewsbaron/status/1198245556189040640

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Still can't believe they didn't even so much as mention SQ42, like that should be raising every red flag imaginable. Even if it was just a "And stay tuned for SQ42 news coming soon!" just to remind people that it's still a thing and will be coming out. Even in their entirely self-controlled environment with a highly receptive audience they had nothing to show or say about SQ42.

I get the feeling the shoe is about to drop.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
LOL my god, its full of :five: stars.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

colonelwest posted:

Again it was all just window dressing for another boring scripted fetch quest with broken stealth and FPS mechanics, and over an hour of interminable flying, driving and walking with no real gameplay.

Hey now, that's totally unfair, you can't say that the stealth mechanic is broken.

For something to be broken it has to actually exist. Which it does not. You can't break what never got made!

You're right about the rest, of course. I suppose their FPS AI barely exists, but it's apparently broken so badly that they couldn't even risk it in their live demo's walled garden, and good lord, that whole thing was super-boring, from concept through execution. You gotta wonder what the two other people on that team were supposedly doing while Glen was being yelled at by Chris to "pretend that you're using the multitool" and "pretend that you're blending in." The only time Chris seemed genuinely interested by anything happening, it was because he was getting to live out his movie director fantasies by trying to demand particularly cinematic angles.

This is what the actual release of Star Citizen will consist of, I guess: a janky Arena Commander module, a jankier Star Marine module, and the jankiest 20v20 whatever they're calling it module, plus a lot of empty space in the PTU where you can pretend you're doing things.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015
Is this Rexzilla guy basically a paid advertiser for SC?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Remember that this was both citizencon *and* the anniversary special, and they couldn't bother to get a cake this time.

While I am a goon I'm also miraculously not poo poo at reading people's expressions and Chris definitely showed shame a few times. No new ship, no extravagant promises, no talk about roadmaps, no sq42, no q&a, they were just following the motions without any actual drive.

The backers (bless their wallets) used to be *pumped* about this poo poo. Before, during, and after the event. MoMA would victory lap the thread for a few days. They would descend on r/games and r/pcgaming like a great pox to strut around with multiple threads going strong. Nowadays? there are 2-3 threads in each of those subreddits and they mostly talk about the carrack and their battlefield thing. There is no longer a "wow! I am pumped about this game that we get to play soon" or anything of the like.

But we got Banu! At least we got that.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

torturemyballs posted:

There is nothing "basically" about it. That's his job and he's doing it.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

torturemyballs posted:

Nonsense, he’s paid by Red Bull......(of which CIG partners)

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

trucutru posted:

Remember that this was both citizencon *and* the anniversary special, and they couldn't bother to get a cake this time.

While I am a goon I'm also miraculously not poo poo at reading people's expressions and Chris definitely showed shame a few times. No new ship, no extravagant promises, no talk about roadmaps, no sq42, no q&a, they were just following the motions without any actual drive.

The backers (bless their wallets) used to be *pumped* about this poo poo. Before, during, and after the event. MoMA would victory lap the thread for a few days. They would descend on r/games and r/pcgaming like a great pox to strut around with multiple threads going strong. Nowadays? there are 2-3 threads in each of those subreddits and they mostly talk about the carrack and their battlefield thing. There is no longer a "wow! I am pumped about this game that we get to play soon" or anything of the like.

But we got Banu! At least we got that.

Crobblers had no energy, he was there but was just going through the motions. Wifey reckons he's showing signs of indifference, almost 'happy resignation' as she puts it.

This is probably Crobblers last fart in games dev, retirement is a very hard thing to say no to when there's millions of $$$ sat in the bank, a nice home to settle into, and a way out of any future potential annoyance from the day job.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Drunk Theory posted:

Nonsense, he’s paid by Red Bull......(of which CIG partners)

(JadeStarwatcher.txt goes here.)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo any more. Not even the citizens. The citizencon thread on their subreddit generated less than 300 posts, and any time I looked at the official stream only like 28k people were watching. Granted that wasn't during the keynote, but overall this Citizencon hasn't generated nearly as much interest as the last.

People just don't care any more.

At this rate it's not even going to generate any choice life destruction or multi page rage posts when it all goes up in flames, which is really the most disappointing outcome.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They struggled to fill even 1 full day of a convention and a chunk of it wasn't even their own content it was a cosplay contest. The Banu language seminar was an obvious time filler that would be better deligated to a blog post or YouTube video. Hell there aren't even Banu in the game yet, why would anyone care what language they speak?

Good point about no Q&A at the very least Chris could have stuck around and answered some questions to reassure people the game was progressing. But he showed up for his canned 1 hour long segment and probably won't be seen again for a few months. I feel bad for people who attended and just want a fun space game. I can't imagine dropping hundreds of dollars on this half baked convention where the key guy can barely be asked to attend.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Did they sell something new or was Battle Royal mode the big twist for this year?

Thread intern didn't pass along any of our great ideas? You're letting CIG down.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 24, 2019

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, I am not even grabbing an alt to go troll their subreddit after this snoozefest. That's a first.

That's how meh everything was.

Sorry Chris but friendship is over, it's now all about Elon.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

G0RF posted:

Random:

1) Maybe part of the reason Citcon 2018 was so extravagant was to assure the Calders their recent investment was a safe bet. The Summer of 2018 - right after the deal was sealed - was a pretty terrible time for the brand. The PC Gaming Show amongst other things. They took a lot of hits all the way through paywallgate, at which point Chris seemed to get a little more careful.

2) Remember a few years back when the thread largely agreed that Sandi would be the canary in the coal mine? That she’d stick around as long as the getting was good and bug out only if it started looking risky (to her) to stay?

3) Bootcha’s last SGC alerted backers to the worrying possibility that Chris and Sandi both were distancing themselves from the project. Sandi’s absence today, while lamented by no one, probably has some whales a little nervous. Maybe Chris, too. She’s always been a great heat sink when backers get mad or disappointed by marketing events.

4) 2019 has been a fantastically dismal year, but they’ve had bad years before. What’s different about this year is that CitizenCon always helped refuel backer hype drives. Maybe it did again (I haven’t looked at Reddit since it ended) but it sure felt like a pretty lukewarm event to me. The eventual addition of Pyro notwithstanding, Star Citizen really feels like its contracting, receding. It felt that way to goons starting a few years ago, and to Joe Q. Gamer by 2017, but I mean I bet it feels that way to a lot of Believers now, too.

5) I’m very surprised they didn’t even offer a Squadron teaser. That plus the Roadmap drift sends a pretty grim signal.

6) Again, Chris’s show wrap-up felt... I dunno... Wistful, maybe? He tends to be slaphappy and dole out his thanks glibly to employees and fans. Maybe I’m seeing things that aren’t there but he seemed more sincere than his usual self. Remember how the 2017 Holiday Livestream has its own weird and very introductory vibe, like it was targeted not at backers or even general gamers but at something more institutional? And then the Calders invested? The wrap-up felt weird in very different and more intimate way. I don’t want to go too far out on a limb but I wonder if there’s some big changes baked in the cake that backers can’t know until the selling season is done?

The reaction on Reddit has been pretty muted, a lot of tired resignation and disappointment. Some of the cult is out trying to hype people up with talk of SSOCS and Tony Z's fever latest fever dream of a universe simulation, but most people just seem over it. The official CITCON thread has less than 300 upvotes and comments. I mean they could barely get much enthusiasm out of a live crowd of self-selected SC fanatics, I doubt it played well to a larger audience.

I agree that it seemed like a winding down of sorts. The absence of Sandi today and for almost a year is very telling. Chris himself seemed listless and almost embarrassed to be there. I'm really starting to think that he's making a move to the exit behind the scenes.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

Chris tends to announce big round citizen number milestones with "Letter from the Chairman" articles.

One million citizens, October 13th, 2015

Two million citizens, April 17th, 2018

If we assume these were posted roughly around the time they hit their respective marks, it took 917 days to get from one million to two million citizens. That's ~1090 citizens per day - obviously they probably didn't sign up in batches of exactly 1090 per day, but the citizens/day ratio is illustrative nonetheless. We're now at 2,424,519 citizens, and it has been 585 days since we hit 2 million citizens. That works out to ~725 citizens/day, or a ~33% reduction in the rate new citizens are signing up.

That's not exactly bulletproof math right there, because like I said people don't sign up at a steady, continuous rate throughout the year (or years), but it is interesting. If they want to make it from 2 million to 3 million in the same time frame they went from 1 million to 2 million, they'll need to add ~1733 new citizens per day for the next 332 days.

There's also not even a traceable linear decline in signups simply because there's a finite amount of people who could even potentially give a poo poo. Once you saturate that market, it's saturated. You suddenly reach a drip-feed and nothing will increase it.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Beet Wagon posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo any more. Not even the citizens. The citizencon thread on their subreddit generated less than 300 posts, and any time I looked at the official stream only like 28k people were watching. Granted that wasn't during the keynote, but overall this Citizencon hasn't generated nearly as much interest as the last.

People just don't care any more.

Orv posted:

At this rate it's not even going to generate any choice life destruction or multi page rage posts when it all goes up in flames, which is really the most disappointing outcome.

Probably Chris' biggest asset at this point, assuming he wants a somewhat graceful exit, is just the sheer attrition that 8 years has caused. When it all finally implodes, almost no one will be left to care.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I had an uncanny feeling watching the presentation. At times, if you squint, the natural environment looked quite pretty. But then you examine it more closely and it just looks like a mess. All I could think about was how so much effort is being expended on something so dull and technically shoddy.

The only other thing of note is that Server Meshing has been downgraded to server instancing which shares a database server, and even that is still two years away. The dream of a dynamically scaling MMO is essentially dead.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tokamak posted:

I had an uncanny feeling watching the presentation. At times, if you squint, the natural environment looked quite pretty. But then you examine it more closely and it just looks like a mess. All I could think about was how so much effort is being expended on something so dull and technically shoddy.

The only other thing of note is that Server Meshing has been downgraded to server instancing which share a database server, and even that is still two years away. The dream of a dynamically scaling MMO is essentially dead.

The trick here is that the dream of a dynamically* scaling MMO already exists. It's called EVE and it also is not worth playing.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

It's all so directionless now. CIG failed to do literally everything they planned to do, so now they crow about the few things they can so, typically poo poo already built into the engine, no matter how tenuously it's linked to the original concept. If it even is at all. Look: weather, FPS, "stealth." Yes, Chris, we know - those are things in games, which means you're making a totally real game, etc. So much for literally everything Star Citizen claimed to be reaching for since 2011.

It's like watching an Early Access title from a developer with attention deficit disorder who starts over every 6 months with a new idea, keeping the game title the same but nothing else.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Chris can always just promote Tony Z. without telling him and then disappear, like Richard Garriott did. The economy simulator talk seemed like a successful tryout to be the new leader of CIG.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

And the insane amount of micro-detail (look at the ice storm!) is the oldest trick in the book. People subconsciously assume that if the micro detail is in place, then it's just a small sampling of a much larger and more interesting universe. Surprise! The micro detail is all there is. Eyelids, eggs, caves, jackets, and ice cubes. That's your space game. That's Star Citizen.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Orv
May 4, 2011
Somewhere in a hospice in the tail end of the century: Oh boy, Star Citizen 4.2, just in time for my birthday!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Another thing to maybe consider is that CInotG is under discovery pending a court case, which could be why Chris behaved like he had a probe up his bum, was especially thankful to everyone at the end and arrogant comments like "no release dates" or celebratory cakes were gone this time.

Still baffling why AMD wants in again on this messy project. I guess they do want more promotion for their new line of CPUs or GPUs or what not and Store Citizer whales are by now a well known target to milk.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/ADIShapCap/status/1198204248451878913

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I JUST got back home from seeing family what. The. gently caress. Did. I. Miss!?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sorry I couldn't be here tonight, thank you for the cosplay photos and the bear collage. I laughed until I cried. Best night in weeks.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Orv posted:

I've said for years that it would all end in a wet fart long after everyone with a shred of passion had hosed off for other projects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

My spaceman's cold, but what they spot fills their spaceman-helmeted mind with giddy elation. They laboriously WASDs their unwieldy Cryengine skeleton over to the stock-engine softbody textured to resemble an authentic scifi linen jacket. Only with minor hesitation they activate their signature "shoot arm from stomach" animation that was cobbled by an intern dragging around visual nodes. Success as the two attachment points enter minimum proximity and snap together! My spaceperson shakes their outstretched arm with the space jacket attached to their knuckles as the Game Over screen comes into view.