Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Inzombiac posted:

I've run a hundred bounties for the Rev Neutropics and they won't drop. I have everything else from that table.

That's brutal, you hit like 99% by 37 runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

When playing on Switch I never got a single Eidolon Lens in dozens upon dozens of T5 bounties and hundreds of hours played. On PC I had 3 in no time, in a couple weeks of standing grind at MR 10-11, so not many missions.

This is one of the downsides to the way DE do drop distributions. Over the millions of people playing it, 99% of folks will get one in less than 37 runs. But this also means that 1% will not, which for this user base is tens of thousands of people - a very large number of folks.

Contrast with another grind-based game, Monster Hunter. The drop percentages for rares look just as bad or even worse for some very necessary items for gear progression: 3% drops for Rathalos Ruby for eg. But the game gives you the tools to improve your chances: cut off a tail, break the head, gold box investigations. You can bring up the probability of that to 33% without much effort.

More importantly, you can use gameplay and skill to improve your drop chances. I wish DE would look into this beyond have loot frames and pure RNG. I don't know what that would look like in a game where enemies are chaff and the damage model is skewed as hard to power fantasy as it is, but the current purely random distributions have some very bad outliers. That Brozime(?) video on grinding the ephemera was a good example of someone landing up in the long tail of the distribution.

I suspect they actually view their drop tables as content in that it forces longer engagement.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Re-rolled my baza riven a bit, I'm ready for Ivara prime when it comes out.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

v1ld posted:

When playing on Switch I never got a single Eidolon Lens in dozens upon dozens of T5 bounties and hundreds of hours played. On PC I had 3 in no time, in a couple weeks of standing grind at MR 10-11, so not many missions.

This is one of the downsides to the way DE do drop distributions. Over the millions of people playing it, 99% of folks will get one in less than 37 runs. But this also means that 1% will not, which for this user base is tens of thousands of people - a very large number of folks.

Contrast with another grind-based game, Monster Hunter. The drop percentages for rares look just as bad or even worse for some very necessary items for gear progression: 3% drops for Rathalos Ruby for eg. But the game gives you the tools to improve your chances: cut off a tail, break the head, gold box investigations. You can bring up the probability of that to 33% without much effort.

More importantly, you can use gameplay and skill to improve your drop chances. I wish DE would look into this beyond have loot frames and pure RNG. I don't know what that would look like in a game where enemies are chaff and the damage model is skewed as hard to power fantasy as it is, but the current purely random distributions have some very bad outliers. That Brozime(?) video on grinding the ephemera was a good example of someone landing up in the long tail of the distribution.

I suspect they actually view their drop tables as content in that it forces longer engagement.

Eidolon lens blueprints are tradeable so they don't have nearly the same RNG screw factor as e.g. warframe parts. The random chances get evened out by being distributed over the whole player base, so if you don't want to test your luck grinding for that one rare drop you can grind something more consistent instead and then trade with a player who did get the drop.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

dont judge valkyr players

well this just took the trans colors that I run on Valkyr to a whole new level

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Screaming Idiot posted:

Limbo is possibly the most complicated and useful utility warframe in the game, capable of locking down objectives and restoring energy to his allies. Lots of people play him badly, but that's like rallying against wrenches because you saw a guy trying to wipe his rear end with one.

I find Limbo to be surprisingly aggressive, since your key passive and ability give you the ability to engage whenever the hell you want without any real worry, exceptions, well, excepted. (It works on thralls!)

Cataclysm is not a nuke in the traditional sense, but slamming one down after Stasis is rolling is more or less an "everything dies as time stops" sort of move.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

BMan posted:

How do you manage this, I tried it yesterday with ivara but the stealth kill bonus kept resetting itself for seemingly no reason.

I've just been running around as loki with as much duration as I can fit on it (don't have ivara yet). About 24s of invisibility then hide somewhere to recast after 3 or so kills.

Haven't experienced any undue boost resetting? Only if I accidentally kill something before the stealth kill prompt.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
snagged the new archgun, and it is ok but the new movement system is actually so good

Archwing feels good to play :stare:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Victory Position posted:

I find Limbo to be surprisingly aggressive, since your key passive and ability give you the ability to engage whenever the hell you want without any real worry, exceptions, well, excepted. (It works on thralls!)

Cataclysm is not a nuke in the traditional sense, but slamming one down after Stasis is rolling is more or less an "everything dies as time stops" sort of move.

I've only ever used Limbo to afk mobile defense by putting a min-range bubble around the objective and hitting the timefreeze button. Sort of works for Excav too but you still have to go out and kill battery dudes.
Oh yeah and at one point I used cataclysm to break boxes through walls while hunting all the rep pickups in those daily syndicate missions before I realized that was extremely dumb and tedious and stopped playing them.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Victory Position posted:

Yeah, Limbo in the hands of even a moderately skilled player is as close to overpowered as you can get. On-demand invulnerability, area control and denial, wide-range DOTs, crowd control, and a goddamn tuxedo? Limbo is in a class of his own.

Even the worst 'frames are viable and have some use. As stated earlier Revenant is nearly invincible and Inaros is equally so, and with Hunter Adrenaline Inaros is also surprisingly good at crowd control with his third ability. The fact that even our worst warframes are basically summarized as "they're unkillable but don't make you feel as hilariously overpowered as some others" shows that DE worked hard to keep things balanced by making everything viable.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

limbo sucks

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I now possess a Kuva Tonkor, and this may be my new favorite weapon. (It's very silly, with the blowing enemies all over creation.)

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Awesome! posted:

limbo sucks

if i spawn into a mission alongside a limbo, i have no qualms about just aborting. can't be doing with that frame's irritating crap; I'd rather reload.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Inzombiac posted:

I've run a hundred bounties for the Rev Neutropics and they won't drop. I have everything else from that table.

as someone who likes bounties and probably ran more than a hundred T5s alone i sure wish i could trade those.

Awesome! posted:

limbo sucks
pubstove trauma . txt

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Awesome! posted:

limbo sucks

find me a better medallion and cache finder.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

drat that's harsh, I just started doing Cetus bounties yesterday and got them on literally my first bounty (I now have Gara Neuroptics/Systems and Revenant Neuroptics).

RoadCrewWorker posted:

as someone who likes bounties and probably ran more than a hundred T5s alone i sure wish i could trade those.

This game's format makes "grinding" feel a lot less painful. Just running missions over and over supplies you with a bunch of other nice things (like relics, which seem like an almost universally useful thing), and it's easy to just keep re-queuing.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Iretep posted:

a powerful niche

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Pipski posted:

if i spawn into a mission alongside a limbo, i have no qualms about just aborting. can't be doing with that frame's irritating crap; I'd rather reload.

It's okay to be annoyed at bad Limbo players, but this attitude just hurts you.

Like, even when the Limbo is actively trolling the group -- which definitely happens, we live in a hellworld where assholes prosper -- the worst it does is make a run take a few minutes longer. The Limbo hate, while not completely unwarranted, is a bit overblown.

I don't play Limbo because I don't have a firm grasp of using him to his potential, but that's not a reflection of Limbo as a frame. I'm not saying you have to be a galaxy-brained true intellectual man of culture to master the subtle machinations of a warframe of class and sophistication, but the skill gate for him is a bit higher than Excaliber or Inaros.

Used badly, Limbo can be a minor inconvenience at worst. Used well, Limbo can trivialize any encounter in nearly any sort of content.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Awesome! posted:

a powerful niche

for a platfarmer, one of them is.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Screaming Idiot posted:

Used badly, Limbo can be a minor inconvenience at worst. Used well, Limbo can trivialize any encounter in nearly any sort of content.

maybe, but i don't really want the encounters trivialised anyway.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ask not what Limbo can do for you, ask what Limbo can do to others.

I just ranked up non-Prime Limbo from 0-30 running it as a knife platform for my new favorite thing in all the world: heavy attack knife slamming. Didn't even mod Limbo beyond a Vitality and the knife kept him alive on Sedna Disruption.

The knife is life.

E: Nothing against good Limbo players or the frame. It's just how opaque it can be to most players, me included. A good limbo is a great buddy to have in an excav arby for eg or a bunch of defensy tough things.

E2: I did sit down and try to read up on Limbo's abilities again, but drat is that a complex frame. The Wiki page kept suggesting I should go read this article on the Rift before reading the wisdom it was about to impart to me.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 25, 2019

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the shuffle looking like the dodge from Bloodborne is a very good touch

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pipski posted:

maybe, but i don't really want the encounters trivialised anyway.

You're playing the wrong game then

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Iretep posted:

medallion and cache finding sucks
But if you hate yourself and want to do it anyways, limbo really is the best.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Used badly, Limbo can be a minor inconvenience at worst.

Played badly he can be a lot more than a minor inconvenience.
For example, he can banish the demolishers in Disruption and then nobody else on the team will be able to stop them.
Usually even pub limbos are fine though.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is going to sound weird, but Warframe reminds me of old school phantasy star online.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Iretep posted:

How can he find medallions and caches?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

this is going to sound weird, but Warframe reminds me of old school phantasy star online.

You're not the first to say this. We even have mags!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hellioning posted:

How can he find medallions and caches?

When Limbo's 4 collapses (or you end it early), it breaks all destructable objects and loot containers in its aoe, even through walls.

So to find medallions as Limbo you build for loot radar and max range. Double-tap 4 as you move through the level to destroy all the nearby destructibles, and then anything that still shows up on your loot radar after that is a cache or a medallion pickup.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Huh. Good to know.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Also useful for getting Argon etc.

Limbo + Mesa is a power couple on Defence / Mobile Defence.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Oh yeah that's the other big fun/abusive thing about Limbo: allies in the rift can still damage enemies with abilities, so you can make a Mesa or Excal just permanently invulnerable to everything but nullifiers while they kill everything with their exalted weapon.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

limbo keeps me sane on sortie excavation

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I keep joining Fortuna bounties where this wheel runs off the road and the mission becomes uncompletable. 3 times in a row I've joined a mission only to find I joined in the middle of a mission where the wheel thing went off the road.

Does it do this if someone attacks it before it hits the trap? Seems kinda bugged.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Ytlaya posted:

I keep joining Fortuna bounties where this wheel runs off the road and the mission becomes uncompletable. 3 times in a row I've joined a mission only to find I joined in the middle of a mission where the wheel thing went off the road.

Does it do this if someone attacks it before it hits the trap? Seems kinda bugged.

game is bugged, don't do fortuna bounties right now

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

https://i.imgur.com/kMbYwrN.mp4

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Coil drivers are drunk right now. They found out they're cooled with alcohol and are partaking in the supply for the "Rolling Restaurant"

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

When Limbo's 4 collapses (or you end it early), it breaks all destructable objects and loot containers in its aoe, even through walls.

Having done quite a bit of medallion hunting, another way of using cataclysm is to start with your body in the real world, and then cast your 4. This instantly breaks all containers (and cameras) without having to desummon your cataclysm.

I don't really like to use Limbo for sabotage cache hunting though, I much prefer to pinpoint the location using headphones.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
:allears: im bummed it softlocks bounties but ive been watching those every time im out in the vallis and it always brings me joy, and part of me will miss them once DE gets back in their office and fixes stuff.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009
They should only fix the ones from the bounties and leave the random ones driving in circles offroad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Phobophilia posted:

Having done quite a bit of medallion hunting, another way of using cataclysm is to start with your body in the real world, and then cast your 4. This instantly breaks all containers (and cameras) without having to desummon your cataclysm.

I don't really like to use Limbo for sabotage cache hunting though, I much prefer to pinpoint the location using headphones.

Wait what? You can hear hidden caches?