Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

John Charity Spring posted:

Cloaked units can't be targeted by weapons but they can still be sensor-locked.

FWIW I did that flashpoint at the weekend and didn't have trouble with it, but I don't know. I guess it could go badly wrong in some circumstances.

Sensor locking actually makes ECM sort of counter productive, since then you suddenly have 4 LRM turrets and some number of Trebuchets and LRM carriers all going after the one mech they see rather than spreading damage around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Being able to sensor-lock a cloaked unit seems backwards to me. IMHO ECM should prevent sensor lock and indirect attacks, and put a to-hit penalty on direct fire attacks.

Right now I'm taking that raven and using it for maximum cheese effect against an AI that can't resist the urge to run inside the ECM bubble... right up next to my Hatchetman with its 170 damage axe swings.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm just having colossally bad luck getting a full set of parts for the same medium mech so I can stop having to field a Spider when my Jenner gets hit lol. I have 1-2 parts from like 8 medium variants or something stupid like that, my only genuinely good mech is my starting Enforcer with the random gift box UAC5 swapped in and stuffed with MLs. I'm stuck at that point where harder missions just erase my wimp squad, but easier missions aren't giving me the parts to make mechs good enough to move up the ladder.

Still fun as hell tho. It's RNG payback for that past play-through where I just kept lucking into god tier salvage on 2 skulls I guess! :haw:

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

sean10mm posted:

I'm just having colossally bad luck getting a full set of parts for the same medium mech so I can stop having to field a Spider when my Jenner gets hit lol. I have 1-2 parts from like 8 medium variants or something stupid like that, my only genuinely good mech is my starting Enforcer with the random gift box UAC5 swapped in and stuffed with MLs. I'm stuck at that point where harder missions just erase my wimp squad, but easier missions aren't giving me the parts to make mechs good enough to move up the ladder.

Still fun as hell tho. It's RNG payback for that past play-through where I just kept lucking into god tier salvage on 2 skulls I guess! :haw:

This is my experience too. When I played through the first time, there were fewer mechs and less random, so only needing 3 parts meant I would cobble together assaults and heavies in short order and playing with 5 parts to make a mech was a challenge. Now I have a huge collection of mech parts and its a struggle to complete a mech with just 3 parts required. Its a lot more fun this way.

I'm actually forced into playing with the poo poo variant mechs as god intended.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Gonna go ahead and say UACs are loving nuts. I got my hands on an annihilator and just started stuffing random upgraded acs into it. At last check it had a uac10/20 and regular AC20. No called shots needed, it just deletes robots. It’s not even optimized to one ammo type yet. Shits gonna be crazy if I can rope up another uac20.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Eldragon posted:

This is my experience too. When I played through the first time, there were fewer mechs and less random, so only needing 3 parts meant I would cobble together assaults and heavies in short order and playing with 5 parts to make a mech was a challenge. Now I have a huge collection of mech parts and its a struggle to complete a mech with just 3 parts required. Its a lot more fun this way.

I'm actually forced into playing with the poo poo variant mechs as god intended.

I'm STILL using an Enforcer with an AC10 and LL, though they're upgraded.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The ultras don't have ajam chance right?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
gently caress, I'm over ten hours into this expansion and the only upgraded weapons I've seen/have are LBX/2's. I seen plenty of the new mechs though.

Also, despite having well over 200 hours into the game, I just now realized how terrible the Banshee 3M really is. My Orions mount more weaponry than that! I keep the Banshee around for its insane punch mods, but it's too drat slow to effectively meelee.
Is there any use for it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TotalLossBrain posted:

gently caress, I'm over ten hours into this expansion and the only upgraded weapons I've seen/have are LBX/2's. I seen plenty of the new mechs though.

You have to buy them so go to urban planets, the AI will never have them unfortunately

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Eldragon posted:

Being able to sensor-lock a cloaked unit seems backwards to me. IMHO ECM should prevent sensor lock and indirect attacks, and put a to-hit penalty on direct fire attacks.

I'm with you thematically, I don't much like the whole "cloaking field" thing. But sensor lock was already a weak skill. It didn't need a hard counter, it needed a reason to exist at all. And the game balance was already tilted against LRMs and long-range guns that fire beyond their unit's visual range.

So sensor lock defeats ECM, and the main thing ECM counters is SRMs and other high damage mid-range stuff.

Also all turrets have sensor lock which is something to be aware of if you use ECM.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Had the most amazing mission today. Me vs an Urbanmech, a Shadow Hawk, and the new Archer.

I managed to take out all three through pilot kills. The Urbie and Shadow Hawk I got luck with head hits, and the Archer I was able to just knock around constantly until its pilot cracked his skull open on the inside of his neurohelmet.

I really dig the Archer. It's special gimmick is that it has a system on board that makes LRMs cluster more closely together, so you get more concentrated damage on fewer spots on average, and it also makes SRMs deal more Stability damage... but lol, turning an Archer into an SRM Boat feels very silly when you can rain 40 missiles on some poor dude from across the map.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

Also, despite having well over 200 hours into the game, I just now realized how terrible the Banshee 3M really is. My Orions mount more weaponry than that! I keep the Banshee around for its insane punch mods, but it's too drat slow to effectively meelee.
Is there any use for it?

Both the banshees that shipped with vanilla are best for converting into cbills in the market. They carry less firepower than most 55 tonners stock

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stravag posted:

Both the banshees that shipped with vanilla are best for converting into cbills in the market. They carry less firepower than most 55 tonners stock

One of them makes an excellent punchlord until some little poo poo high jump kicks its head off four battles in a row, like god drat, pilots, learn to duck

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah but punchbotting with assaults is just a waste of tonnage really. If youre not breaking 400 damage per volley with a non stalker then there are other issues you need to deal with

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I now have a max-armored Phoenix Hawk that punches for 155 damage (++ and +++ arm mods, got lucky with the starter shop) because I am a madman, and have no good mechs.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The annihilator is ridiculous. 4 UAC 10s just vaporize mechs from range

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The Banshee with all the support hardpots isn't optimal by any stretch, but it's a fun punchbot just to goof around with.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stravag posted:

Yeah but punchbotting with assaults is just a waste of tonnage really. If youre not breaking 400 damage per volley with a non stalker then there are other issues you need to deal with

On the other hand, punching the heart out of a locust while laughing maniacally owns

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Rorahusky posted:

I really dig the Archer. It's special gimmick is that it has a system on board that makes LRMs cluster more closely together, so you get more concentrated damage on fewer spots on average, and it also makes SRMs deal more Stability damage... but lol, turning an Archer into an SRM Boat feels very silly when you can rain 40 missiles on some poor dude from across the map.

The SRM quirk feels like a trap to me, TBH. The fact that the Archer only has 2 missile hardpoints means all you can do is stick 2 SRM6s on it then slap on some LLs or PPCs to utilize the remaining space. The additional stability damage can be replicated by putting 3 SRM6++ or +++ on a Centurion.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

anakha posted:

The SRM quirk feels like a trap to me, TBH. The fact that the Archer only has 2 missile hardpoints means all you can do is stick 2 SRM6s on it then slap on some LLs or PPCs to utilize the remaining space. The additional stability damage can be replicated by putting 3 SRM6++ or +++ on a Centurion.

Yeah I guess it's there just to have it but there's no point at all in doing anything but LRM30-40 and whatever else

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Just means you need to mod in MRMs.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Is there anything worse in life than disabling a desirable assault on a 2/11 mission?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

anakha posted:

There's an archer with 4 missile hardpoints.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Norton the First posted:

Is there anything worse in life than disabling a desirable assault on a 2/11 mission?

Doing Clash of the Titans and watching in horror as the second opfor's flea somehow manages to core the assault you were carefully whittling down

That pilot definitely got a cheevo

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

TotalLossBrain posted:

Is there any use for it?

6xMLs, 6xMG/SL, 2xpunch mods, no JJs, near max armor, and a pilot with coolant flush, evasive movement, piloting 7 (for the sprint bonus), and at least tactics 6 (tactics 9 is better of course).

The sprint bonus + evasive will easily get you near maximum evasion pips. Combine that with bulwark (sprint into cover or with vigilance) and you can tank a huge amount of incoming fire while sprinting into melee range.

Your weaponry is comparable to a GHR and can (with upgraded weapons) core any mech out through the back. This is especially true against the "ammo in the CT" mechs. You run hot, and that's great, because you're meleeing and you're running coolant flush. Of course, your punches just remove sections of mechs and remove bulwark, so its great for setting up kills if it doesn't just straight up kill the mech in one punch.

Its a great anvil to the hammer of your other ML/SRM brawlers or FS. I use one of these in my endgame lances all the time and it works wonders.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Klyith posted:

There's an archer with 4 missile hardpoints.

Ah, the ARC-2S was added as well? That variant would be easier to work with then.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Welp, really enjoying this now that I'm back post multiple DLCs dropping in bonkers new poo poo. RIP to the two mechwarrior recruits I brought out to get "easy XP" and then promptly got one killed and one put in the hospital for like months on end while my veterans cleaned up the entirety of the enemy lance/convoy. Oops.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

anakha posted:

The fact that the Archer only has 2 missile hardpoints

There's a rare variant with 4

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sean10mm posted:

The Banshee with all the support hardpots isn't optimal by any stretch, but it's a fun punchbot just to goof around with.

Doubly so if you deliberately get the Flashpoint Hatchetman killed. There's no mission penalty for doing so and you can salvage the hatchet. I love using 3Ms as punchbots, and I can't think they've become any worse with ERSLs added to the game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Where the hell can I find NARC beacon ammo?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ravenfood posted:

Where the hell can I find NARC beacon ammo?

lol does it need it, did I buy a weapon with no ammo then leave the star system

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

lol does it need it, did I buy a weapon with no ammo then leave the star system

I did the same thing. I didn't try using it in battle but the mechbay is telling me I have a mech with a weapon system that requires ammo. I also didn't see ammo in the system when I bought the thing in the first place.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Jedit posted:

Doubly so if you deliberately get the Flashpoint Hatchetman killed. There's no mission penalty for doing so and you can salvage the hatchet. I love using 3Ms as punchbots, and I can't think they've become any worse with ERSLs added to the game.

I always get it killed and never get the loose hatchet? :iiam:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you’re going by how they worked in TT, no heat and no ammo use if you “miss” (ie fail to get a lock on), 100% of missiles hit, but no indirect fire etc.

The end result is that you always try to take every shot, even the super marginal bullshit ones. The only real downside is that they weigh more. Depending on the launcher that might or might not be made up by carrying less ammo.

The TT implementation of Streaks would actually feel pretty awful in this game, because it would stop the heat bar being accurate. A better implementation might be to make them only fire as many missiles as will actually hit, with the amount decreasing, deterministically with the difficulty of the shot. That way you always know how much damage you will do, shot difficulty still matters and decreases damage but the heat prediction if you fire will still be accurate.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 25, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Jedit posted:

I prefer putting it on a chassis with better speed and initiative.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I built a PHX with a single Snub, and while it's not a GOOD robot by any means it's still a lot of fun

I think a better idea would be to try to recreate a budget version of the Screamer from PTN's Let's Play and stick the best, lightest ER PPC on it that I can find, and just jump from distant mountain to distant mountain taking potshots and being invincible

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Pattonesque posted:

I built a PHX with a single Snub, and while it's not a GOOD robot by any means it's still a lot of fun

I think a better idea would be to try to recreate a budget version of the Screamer from PTN's Let's Play and stick the best, lightest ER PPC on it that I can find, and just jump from distant mountain to distant mountain taking potshots and being invincible

For that I'd just take a regular PPC. It's minimum 11 heat to activate your 20% damage bonus, and PPCs already run pretty hot on their own.

That said I'd prefer the Snub PPC version, on a pilot with Breaching Shot. 90 on the base variant going through damage resistance is quite alright when compared to say a brawl-fit Vindicator's 148 which is cut down to 89 vs a Bulwark target. Snub plus two heatsinks to keep heat manageable and two additional jump jets (all you need to have comparable jump dist to a 5jj mech) leaves enough room for good armor coverage.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Is iromman actually fun or will I torture myself?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Stravag posted:

The ultras don't have ajam chance right?

No jam chance that I'm aware of, but they always fire in Ultra mode and are crazy hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah but you can basically replace a ac with an ultra of the weight class down for either a strong sidegrade or straight upgrade depending on your pov