Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Often the reason there's no passenger rail during certain times on any given line is because the tracks are also used for freight rail and they have to reserve windows of time for the freight trains to run through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Boot and Rally posted:

Isn’t there someone on here associated with the VTA? Can they explain why there is no northbound train after 9 pm on Friday or Saturday?

Amtrak deal? Because if I need to travel those times, there's no metrolink ... only amtrak.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Boot and Rally posted:

Isn’t there someone on here associated with the VTA? Can they explain why there is no northbound train after 9 pm on Friday or Saturday?

If you're talking about Lightrail, there should be? :confused: If you're talking about Caltrain or whatever though then we have nothing to do with those. We do buses, the light rail, and some roadwork/traffic management/express lanes in the County.

We're also in the process of changing our schedules for pretty much everything, which some genius decided should be on its own dedicated site linked nowhere on our regular home page. :downs: You can find it here.

FCKGW posted:

There already is a train! It's the Metrolink we're talking about! Just make the darn train slightly better!

One way toll is on the 91 express is now up to $28

Yeah they threw up a big spreadsheet of all the tolls for the expressway on both the part managed by OCTA and the part managed by Riverside. It's cool how we're "solving" traffic by uh, giving rich people a dedicated lane they can drive faster than the plebs in.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 21, 2019

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Maggot Soup posted:

That's the gold line my friend :) . SacRT is planning to add dual tracks from Hazel to Old Folsom in the, hopefully nearish future, to let the train go every 15 minutes instead of the 30 minute wait.

Hell yeah, commuting on SacRT is a nightmare outside of downtown. The surrounding area is spotty enough as it is, but I was basically locked out of a ton of possible jobs by the hours. At this pace I'll be able to go back to no car after *checks notes* 10 more years.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

HelloSailorSign posted:

Wait hold on I passed over it as a, "your actual base is pretty lefty, get with the times politicians" and not a, "we can't work with them because they're all crazy."

yeah I took it as "every democrat is a leftist so don't fall for the centerism/compromise thing and never vote for them" but i guess it works either way.

the depth of such high art :v:

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
See, the dabbing i took as reference to Loretta Sanchez, the Blue Dog who ran against Harris last election, and famously dabbed during the 2016 CA senate debate. But like, she was a long serving and powerful congress member, who would still comfortably be in office if she hadn’t resigned to run for senate. So is the unicorn a reference to dems like her being supposedly rare? Or was it saying that she wasn’t actually a moderate? And why her? She lost the election!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
You've put 999999999 times more thought into this than they did, they just want to sell shirts, like come on

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Sydin posted:

If you're talking about Lightrail, there should be? :confused: If you're talking about Caltrain or whatever though then we have nothing to do with those. We do buses, the light rail, and some roadwork/traffic management/express lanes in the County.

We're also in the process of changing our schedules for pretty much everything, which some genius decided should be on its own dedicated site linked nowhere on our regular home page. :downs: You can find it here.

Yeah they threw up a big spreadsheet of all the tolls for the expressway on both the part managed by OCTA and the part managed by Riverside. It's cool how we're "solving" traffic by uh, giving rich people a dedicated lane they can drive faster than the plebs in.

Sorry, I should have said 10 PM. There isn't a train that leaves San Jose and goes past Tasman after 10 PM on Friday and Saturday. I Had not seen the new proposed lines. If they are anything like the last I assume they also will not cater to anyone who likes to have a drink on the weekends. Or see a hockey or soccer match.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah the off-peak hours for the lightrail aren't great. Operating the lightrail is VTA's highest expense and we have some of the lowest average ridership in the country among major metro areas, so pretty much any chance to cut corners is jumped on. Hell in the recent third party audit that was done on us one of the recommendations was for us to shutter lightrail entirely and repurpose the tracks for high speed bus.

Berryessa station opening might force us to run more late hours trains if there's enough northbound demand. Maybe.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Some day it would be cool if we could entirely rid ourselves of the idea that the metric for whether or not a transit system is good should never be "is it profitable enough to pay for itself" because uhhh, it's a public good, it's not all about fares, hell it should just be free to ride.

Also that if ridership is bad sometimes that means the line needs more frequent trains and/or other improvements, not that it's just a bad idea and we should get rid of it.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Sydin posted:

Yeah the off-peak hours for the lightrail aren't great. Operating the lightrail is VTA's highest expense and we have some of the lowest average ridership in the country among major metro areas, so pretty much any chance to cut corners is jumped on. Hell in the recent third party audit that was done on us one of the recommendations was for us to shutter lightrail entirely and repurpose the tracks for high speed bus.

Berryessa station opening might force us to run more late hours trains if there's enough northbound demand. Maybe.

Yeah, I know. The last time I took the train to the airport at 4 PM on a weekday there were only ten people. I was the only non-homeless person. Who was the train designed for? I live 30 seconds from a station and never see anyone on it.

I tried taking the VTA to Mountain View to get the CalTrain to work and it missed the connection the first few times I tried so now I ride my bike direct to the local CalTrain station. The bike lanes are also terrible around here too. The whole drat county seems designed to minimize cost instead of cost per rider so they end up building something that costs nothing to operate because as soon as the ribbon is cut you can hang up a "closed" sign.

Boot and Rally fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 21, 2019

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Yeah that's a bummer. Without investment and build out the ridership will never be sustainable fee wise, the build out to that will never be sustainable fee wise, and ridership without a build out won't hit levels to be sustainable fee wise. You pretty much have to keep dumping money into the system until its momentum carries it forward. The whole time pundits will be screaming about what a waste of money it will be.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

White House readies California homelessness plan after ousting top official

quote:

Rumors of the crackdown have generated concern among career officials at the Department of Housing and Urban Development, as well as national housing experts, who worry Trump is trying to exploit the issue for political gain while offering solutions that could make the problem worse.

On Tuesday, career staff at HUD were told at an internal meeting that Doherty was not willing to compromise his principles and follow the Trump administration’s lead on homelessness policy, according to a person who attended the meeting. White House officials believed Doherty would not be willing to execute parts of its pending homelessness plan, one person with knowledge of the dismissal said.

Trump has lamented the effect of the homelessness problem on the “prestige” of California’s cities and expressed sympathy for real estate investors whose property values or quality of life could be hurt by homelessness.

Yeah… that doesn't sound ominous at all.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Leperflesh posted:

Some day it would be cool if we could entirely rid ourselves of the idea that the metric for whether or not a transit system is good should never be "is it profitable enough to pay for itself" because uhhh, it's a public good, it's not all about fares, hell it should just be free to ride.

Also that if ridership is bad sometimes that means the line needs more frequent trains and/or other improvements, not that it's just a bad idea and we should get rid of it.

Boot and Rally posted:

Yeah, I know. The last time I took the train to the airport at 4 PM on a weekday there were only ten people. I was the only non-homeless person. Who was the train designed for? I live 30 seconds from a station and never see anyone on it.

I tried taking the VTA to Mountain View to get the CalTrain to work and it missed the connection the first few times I tried so now I ride my bike direct to the local CalTrain station. The bike lanes are also terrible around here too. The whole drat county seems designed to minimize cost instead of cost per rider so they end up building something that costs nothing to operate because as soon as the ribbon is cut you can hang up a "closed" sign.

Light Rail ridership is in the toilet because it's slow as gently caress. It was originally supposed to be 100% elevated but to save cost it was instead built at grade. Down the main arterial road. Smack through the downtown of the 10th most populated city in the USA. I know, genius. As a result it is actually slightly faster to drive the full length of 87 in stop-and-go traffic than it is to take the LR the equivalent distance. It's pathetic. Hell when I bike to work I ride the fast portion of LR to the bike trail, then bike the remaining ~7 miles to my office, which has a LR stop right out front of it. I consistently make it there faster than the train I stepped off of does.

There's not really a solution for this that doesn't involve gobs of money we don't have. :(

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Boot and Rally posted:

I love this post

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Boot and Rally posted:

I'd ride Middlefield and just take the lane. I'm amazed that 27 years after I left Palo Alto, there still isn't a decent bike route thru there.

Although the path from the MT View Caltrans to the Computer Science Museum is nice. I was there for the Amiga 30th reunion in 2015. Brompton on planes and trains.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sydin posted:

Riverside is wrapping up their I-15 toll lane extension right now with the next phase eventually planned for San Bernardino county to continue it all the way to Victorville.

Can’t wait so see what the OC to Victorville peak toll rates will look like.

One positive is that 3+ carpools ride free.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Oh cool they're actually going to just start rounding up random citizens into camps for the heinous crime of being outside. What could go wrong?

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

Pomp posted:

Hell yeah, commuting on SacRT is a nightmare outside of downtown. The surrounding area is spotty enough as it is, but I was basically locked out of a ton of possible jobs by the hours. At this pace I'll be able to go back to no car after *checks notes* 10 more years.

Yeah, i dont know how some people can figure out all the various bus connections. I dream one day we can just do the right thing and buy up homes along heavy corridors and just put the tracks down. Such is a dream...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just helped my conservative parents move stuff into their future retirement house in Arizona

So long boomers :wave:

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

FCKGW posted:

Just helped my conservative parents move stuff into their future retirement house in Arizona

So long boomers :wave:

2 more Republican votes in the second most important swing state for the Presidency, and one that has a total coin flip Senate race. 😑

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Sydin posted:

Light Rail ridership is in the toilet because it's slow as gently caress. It was originally supposed to be 100% elevated but to save cost it was instead built at grade. Down the main arterial road. Smack through the downtown of the 10th most populated city in the USA. I know, genius. As a result it is actually slightly faster to drive the full length of 87 in stop-and-go traffic than it is to take the LR the equivalent distance. It's pathetic. Hell when I bike to work I ride the fast portion of LR to the bike trail, then bike the remaining ~7 miles to my office, which has a LR stop right out front of it. I consistently make it there faster than the train I stepped off of does.

There's not really a solution for this that doesn't involve gobs of money we don't have. :(

Came to say this. I used to live half a block from a light rail stop and I stopped using it almost entirely not long after I moved because it was almost always faster to walk or bike where I wanted to go.

Also, even setting aside public transit, why does almost every restaurant in San Jose shut down at like, 8pm?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Came to say this. I used to live half a block from a light rail stop and I stopped using it almost entirely not long after I moved because it was almost always faster to walk or bike where I wanted to go.

Also, even setting aside public transit, why does almost every restaurant in San Jose shut down at like, 8pm?

Much like nightlife in California is dead as you can't sell alcohol after 2 am, California is a state that sleeps early.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

everyone says san jose is a commuter town

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Celexi posted:

Much like nightlife in California is dead as you can't sell alcohol after 2 am, California is a state that sleeps early.

Not being able to sell alcohol after 2am doesn't explain why things shut down 6 hours earlier in San Jose.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Shear Modulus posted:

everyone says san jose is a commuter town

It pretty much is, at least south San Jose and the downtown area. The only reasons anybody commutes into San Jose proper is to work at Adobe or attend SJSU. Otherwise most people work in Milpitas or farther north in the bay, which means even if you only have to commute from south San Jose to Milpitas it sucks horribly. :sigh:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

How is it that Fresno restaurants stay open later than San Jose? You should tell people in San Jose this and they should feel offended.
(I still get annoyed that things close at 10 or 11 in Fresno on non-fridays but I'm on a night shift clock so, as that's the the closest place for me to drive in for restaurant food)

So where in San Jose closes that early? It's not everywhere right?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
they're exaggerating.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Goodpancakes posted:

Yeah that's a bummer. Without investment and build out the ridership will never be sustainable fee wise, the build out to that will never be sustainable fee wise, and ridership without a build out won't hit levels to be sustainable fee wise. You pretty much have to keep dumping money into the system until its momentum carries it forward. The whole time pundits will be screaming about what a waste of money it will be.

I note that the pundits never ask "When will the highway system pay for itself?" It's seen as a public good because you build it and things move from place to place.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I note that the pundits never ask "When will the highway system pay for itself?" It's seen as a public good because you build it and things move from place to place.

Shut up, questions like this is how you get publicly funded toll roads

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Ranter posted:

they're exaggerating.

Not by much. Here's a shot of Japantown, closing time is 9pm for all but 2 of these (there's a 9:30 and one 10pm).

Bars in downtown stay open later, but restaurants shut down stupid early.

Edit: I missed Minatao, they close at 8:30

Edit2: Omogari, which is Korean, is the best restaurant in Japantown

Edit3: regardless, I don't think this has much of a relationship with no alcohol sales after 2am

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 25, 2019

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
suburban restaurants close when their suburban family customers stop coming to eat. silicon valley is poo poo, thats why people that want good food and drinks past 9pm live in san francisco and oakland

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Ranter posted:

suburban restaurants close when their suburban family customers stop coming to eat. silicon valley is poo poo, thats why people that want good food and drinks past 9pm live in san francisco and oakland

If you think that area is suburbs than literally all of San Jose is suburbs.

I really hope you have a lovely commute to the south bay.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Ah, the exciting "people in the next town over are complete dipshit degenerates" part of the thread. Good stuff.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Glumslinger posted:

Shut up, questions like this is how you get publicly funded toll roads

Good. We can punish people for driving and then use the tolls to pay for buses and trains. :getin:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

they've been trying to turn the entire bay area into suburbs for at least like two decades

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ah, the exciting "people in the next town over are complete dipshit degenerates" part of the thread. Good stuff.

*bursts into thread, coughing wildfire smoke out of my sooty lungs* "BAKERSFIELD!!!!"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I live in San Jose and I'll be the first to tell you it loving sucks compared to pretty much the entire rest of the Bay, barring SF I guess but I admit I'm just not a big city person in general so that's more my personal bias.

Granted, may end up not mattering. My landlord is kicking us out next April so he can gut the entire place and remodel it (which FWIW needs to be done, the house is settling like crazy and the asbestos filled ceiling is starting to visibly crack in places) and I'm not even sure I'm going to be able to afford to live here anymore anyway. Looking at potential rents on Zillow is is... discouraging.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Probably don't have the staff to keep a restaurant running late in San Jose. Who can afford to work in service industry there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/donoteat1/status/1199015290828394496?s=20

Can anyone explain what the drama is with Groverhaus on Twitter?

Not the grouverhaus in general, I remember that whole saga, but it looks like there's some sort of civil war being waged on twitter about who is allowed to talk about it and I have no god damned idea what is happening.