Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BoldFace posted:

Looking forward to Cygames' pinball(?) themed fantasy gacha game they've been slowly teasing this week. Not sure if there will be a western release, though.

If there isn't a Pinball Wizard character/class/whatever then this game is dead to me :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

BoldFace posted:

Looking forward to Cygames' pinball(?) themed fantasy gacha game they've been slowly teasing this week. Not sure if there will be a western release, though.

Oh man, is this gonna be like Monster Strike? I used to really like that game before they broke the multiplayer

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

It looks like you can pre register and grab some characters in a little mini-game here https://secret2.cygames.co.jp/

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
First time i've had a decent Android phone in years and I was looking for some recommendations. Should I just scour the net for top 10's by year or is there some other resource I should check out?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Rookoo posted:

First time i've had a decent Android phone in years and I was looking for some recommendations. Should I just scour the net for top 10's by year or is there some other resource I should check out?

Droidgamers.com for sure. I tend to look for games on the play store I like, then look at the list of similar games to see if anything interesting pops up in there.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

RoboCicero posted:

Anyone playing Epic's new freemium game called Battle Breakers? It's pretty neat, though I haven't played the other big games like AFK Arena or Epic 7 to compare them against it.

It's a solid time-waster turn-based RPG game that doesn't have either ads or energy system so you can just run it on auto in the background. Instead of a traditional Gacha it looks like they have a extremely confusing system where you can earn 3* rolls by grinding levels, 4* rolls by accumulating one currency, and 5* rolls by accumulating a third currency that seems to basically drop only from chests and first-time clear bonuses. The other form of F2P progression is that you buy chests with gems and you get magic tickets that you exchange for specific weekly heroes.

One big caveat is that since it's Epic they want you to download the APK through their Epic Launcher instead of through the google store which I know is a deal-breaker for some people.

yeah i installed it from the play store and played it for a day, thought it seemed interesting, and then they updated the servers but not the play store version so now when i try and launch it it asks me to download the new version and boots me to the play store page for it lmao

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Rookoo posted:

I'll throw out some random games I've had on my phone for years -

PixelPuzzle and/or Hungry Cat Picross if you like Picross
Ruzzle - If you like Boggle
Solitairica is a neat run-based solitaire game
Holedown is good although short ball shooter
Wordbrain and/or Wordalot for more word stuff
Shattered Pixel Dungeon which I never got super deep into but a lot of people seem to like
Rogue Adventure is a decent Slay the Spire type game
I'm still playing Pokemon GO, and they have a ton of other variants now (walking dead, jurassic park, harry potter, minecraft, garfield)

If you missed them on PC you can get stuff like Xcom, Don't Starve, Stardew Valley, etc.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Knightmare posted:

If you missed them on PC you can get stuff like Xcom, Don't Starve, Stardew Valley, etc.

I own all three of these, and they're fantastic, especially Stardew Valley. It's like the game was meant for mobile. Lack of mods aside, I'd say it's the best version. :colbert:

I strongly recommend 80 Days, Dungeon Warfare (apparently, DW2 is way better? Haven't played yet), Mini Metro, and the aforementioned Solitairica.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Dungeon Warfare (apparently, DW2 is way better? Haven't played yet)

The first one is great, but DW2 is way better.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I posted about it last page, but to elaborate more: I’ve been really enjoying My Turn - it’s impossible to google, so here is the play store link. It’s a PVP hero / card game. You have a lineup of four heroes, and each hero puts specific cards into your deck. The base gameplay is fairly standard - each turn you draw cards, you get an additional mana, cards cost like 0-5 mana to play, etc. It instead shines in having lots of different strategies via lots of heroes that are easy to get. There is gatcha, but a) the game is very generous and gives you TONS of free cards, and b) you can post trades, asking for heroes you don’t have by offering ones you do, and even if you trade away a hero you still can use them as long as you had them at some point in the past. Heroes can be equipped with gear that can drastically impact their play style, and you have two generic item cards that you can put into your deck that can make up for team weaknesses or compliment your deck’s strategy. There’s quite a lot of different decks to build, and there’s a surprising amount of depth to the game’s mechanics too - many cards serve multiple different functions, even if not immediately obvious. The game is in beta, and is actually receiving a fair amount of updates - new heroes get added every couple weeks. The game also has some nice quality of life features: you can watch replays of all your matches for a few days after them, so you can review your playstyle, and there’s a draft mode that you get to play for free once a day (and you’re guaranteed at least one free card from this too, even if you never win a game)

The main downsides to the game are the translation and some P2Wness of it. English is very obviously not the game’s native language, and some card descriptions are iffy at best - sometimes to really figure out exactly how a card works, you just need to play it and see. The game also feels P2W very early on, when you don’t have many heroes. It sucks to run into someone with tons of cool heroes you’ve never seen before and just get floored - but this does go away after you’ve played for a bit and start having a wide selection of heroes yourself. Note that gatcha heroes aren’t necessarily better than the ones you start with - the four starting heroes are all actually very strong and viable at higher-level play. In fact, every time I’ve encountered a hero I thought was overpowered or too strong, I’ve found there’s usually a strategy to beat them and suddenly they aren’t so scary anymore. That being said, while the game is generally well-balanced in that regard, there are a few heroes that do feel a bit too strong and could use some adjusting, and I haven’t been playing long enough to see any big balance changes. There is a bit of P2Wness in that the game uses a Clash-Royale-style level-up mechanic, where you collect additional copies of a hero / equipment card in order to upgrade it. However, I rarely feel like I’m getting obliterated by people solely because they paid more than me, it’s usually very obvious that I got outplayed or whatever.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Knightmare posted:

Rogue Adventure is a decent Slay the Spire type game

I've been playing this game A TON lately. Had never play StS but have been meaning to. RA can be kind of slow to get into but it's a lot of fun when you get a good run going and have cards that synergize really well.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Kris xK posted:

The first one is great, but DW2 is way better.

Don't get me wrong I'm playing a bunch of 2 but one thing I don't like is how you can just keep grinding more and more exp. I like how 1 did it where you only got the incremental experience above your previous record

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

What are some good airplane friendly Turret Defense games that are recentish?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Sextro posted:

What are some good airplane friendly Turret Defense games that are recentish?

Dungeon Warfare 1 and 2 lol

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Dungeon Warfare 1 and 2 lol

The graphics are, for my taste, quite bad and the game has a bit of a learning curve as there are more complex mechanics present than in many TD games. But maybe I need to give Dungeon Warfare another chance. I personally prefer Bloons TD.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CompeAnansi posted:

The graphics are, for my taste, quite bad and the game has a bit of a learning curve as there are more complex mechanics present than in many TD games. But maybe I need to give Dungeon Warfare another chance. I personally prefer Bloons TD.

I was going to recommend Bloons as that seems to be the popular one still. I don't really get the appeal of the game, it still feels like an incredibly cheap flash game with IAP grabs. DW is a very polished game that, while definitely has more going on than a traditional TD game, isn't overly complex. Just has more options but definitely more strict in how you play levels.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Rookoo posted:

Troll Patrol. It's as close as we're going to get to having Dungeon Raid.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

cage-free egghead posted:

I was going to recommend Bloons as that seems to be the popular one still. I don't really get the appeal of the game, it still feels like an incredibly cheap flash game with IAP grabs. DW is a very polished game that, while definitely has more going on than a traditional TD game, isn't overly complex. Just has more options but definitely more strict in how you play levels.

Bloons starts off slow with unlocks and having to level each tower separately.

Initially there's dozens of different solutions to complete each level, but then the advance levels get more and more restrictive and require specialized solutions.

Beating level 100 on any map gives you a free tower that would normally be IAP so you can stockpile a bunch of those if you're consistently hitting that stage.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Apparently I already played DW, and I'd rather try something new than just a sequel of it. Which Bloons is the one to get?

E: also what TD would be overly complex?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
World Flipper homepage is now open. Game releases in something like 17 hours. No word of global release yet.

https://worldflipper.jp/

PV:
https://youtu.be/tzOJQWoD7uM

Gameplay:
https://youtu.be/tuemCGDxH9A

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Omg, a pinball gacha?! This looks totally my jam. Hopefully global release (i.e English) won't be too far behind, or it's not too hard to muddle through if you can't read Japanese.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Can Android even do pinball? I thought the touch latency would doom anything as sensitive as that.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

CodfishCartographer posted:

I posted about it last page, but to elaborate more: I’ve been really enjoying My Turn - it’s impossible to google, so here is the play store link. It’s a PVP hero / card game. You have a lineup of four heroes, and each hero puts specific cards into your deck. The base gameplay is fairly standard - each turn you draw cards, you get an additional mana, cards cost like 0-5 mana to play, etc. It instead shines in having lots of different strategies via lots of heroes that are easy to get. There is gatcha, but a) the game is very generous and gives you TONS of free cards, and b) you can post trades, asking for heroes you don’t have by offering ones you do, and even if you trade away a hero you still can use them as long as you had them at some point in the past. Heroes can be equipped with gear that can drastically impact their play style, and you have two generic item cards that you can put into your deck that can make up for team weaknesses or compliment your deck’s strategy. There’s quite a lot of different decks to build, and there’s a surprising amount of depth to the game’s mechanics too - many cards serve multiple different functions, even if not immediately obvious. The game is in beta, and is actually receiving a fair amount of updates - new heroes get added every couple weeks. The game also has some nice quality of life features: you can watch replays of all your matches for a few days after them, so you can review your playstyle, and there’s a draft mode that you get to play for free once a day (and you’re guaranteed at least one free card from this too, even if you never win a game)

The main downsides to the game are the translation and some P2Wness of it. English is very obviously not the game’s native language, and some card descriptions are iffy at best - sometimes to really figure out exactly how a card works, you just need to play it and see. The game also feels P2W very early on, when you don’t have many heroes. It sucks to run into someone with tons of cool heroes you’ve never seen before and just get floored - but this does go away after you’ve played for a bit and start having a wide selection of heroes yourself. Note that gatcha heroes aren’t necessarily better than the ones you start with - the four starting heroes are all actually very strong and viable at higher-level play. In fact, every time I’ve encountered a hero I thought was overpowered or too strong, I’ve found there’s usually a strategy to beat them and suddenly they aren’t so scary anymore. That being said, while the game is generally well-balanced in that regard, there are a few heroes that do feel a bit too strong and could use some adjusting, and I haven’t been playing long enough to see any big balance changes. There is a bit of P2Wness in that the game uses a Clash-Royale-style level-up mechanic, where you collect additional copies of a hero / equipment card in order to upgrade it. However, I rarely feel like I’m getting obliterated by people solely because they paid more than me, it’s usually very obvious that I got outplayed or whatever.

I downloaded this - it seems pretty fun from the couple matches I've played. Definitely feels like a PvP version of slay the spire, which is great.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Is it *all* PvP? I don't like PvP on my phone. Most of the time I'm playing at work or around a toddler and have to put the phone down at a moment's notice.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

New Leaf posted:

Is it *all* PvP? I don't like PvP on my phone. Most of the time I'm playing at work or around a toddler and have to put the phone down at a moment's notice.

It is, unfortunately. Battles can sometimes take a little while, too. I dunno if there are any plans to implement a single-player / offline mode.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I got a random hankering for some puyopuyo, is there anything good on android?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I got a random hankering for some puyopuyo, is there anything good on android?

This but Patapon.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

That pinball game is out. Its a bit like Brawl Stars i think it was called. The pinballs are your dudes and you kill bosses and clear levels by whacking them around. I cant read it at all but its pretty straightforward so far.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I think you mean Monster Strike. Brawl Stars is a 3v3 vaguely MOBA-like shooter game.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010

Sleekly posted:

That pinball game is out. Its a bit like Brawl Stars i think it was called. The pinballs are your dudes and you kill bosses and clear levels by whacking them around. I cant read it at all but its pretty straightforward so far.

Yea I had a quick mess about on it this morning for 15 mins, did a 10 pull and got some 4 star dudes, but no idea if they are any good or not.

Might play a bit longer then drop it as I don't want to get too burned out and then not want to play the English version if it ever happens.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sleekly posted:

Is this available in English? Everything I've seen so far is in Japanese.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

m.hache posted:

Is this available in English? Everything I've seen so far is in Japanese.

No. The gameplay is simple enough to manage without the knowledge of Japanese, but understanding what abilities and skills do might be a bit difficult without translations.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

CodfishCartographer posted:

I've been digging this since yesterday. Definitely fun and plays smooth.

I had a sick thing going with Druid/Craftswoman/Samurai/Squire and then they semi-nerfed Samurai this morning :v:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

cultist simulator is 70 percent off, how's it on mobile? on a OnePlus 6 and wondering if it's worth it

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

BoldFace posted:

I think you mean Monster Strike. Brawl Stars is a 3v3 vaguely MOBA-like shooter game.

Muscle Hustle! I meant Muscle Hustle.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Artelier posted:

cultist simulator is 70 percent off, how's it on mobile? on a OnePlus 6 and wondering if it's worth it

Depends on how much you like 4pt font. Just let your dreams guide you, you don't need to read anything.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Polyseme posted:

Depends on how much you like 4pt font. Just let your dreams guide you, you don't need to read anything.

Counterpoint, I had no problem reading everything and thought it played really well on the phone.

parara
Apr 9, 2010
I've become painfully obsessed with Dungeon Maker. Since I generally play gachas I don't really know what's out there in terms of paid games with gacha-esque mechanics.

Could I get some more recommendations for games I should check out? Think gradual unlocking of mechanics, pretty cool art, RPG stats/skills for my inner gremlin. Basically hit me with anything that you feel is peripherally similar in feeling to Dungeon Maker!

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

parara posted:

I've become painfully obsessed with Dungeon Maker. Since I generally play gachas I don't really know what's out there in terms of paid games with gacha-esque mechanics.

Could I get some more recommendations for games I should check out? Think gradual unlocking of mechanics, pretty cool art, RPG stats/skills for my inner gremlin. Basically hit me with anything that you feel is peripherally similar in feeling to Dungeon Maker!

Have you hit up Gumballs and Dungeons yet?

It's a puzzle game on a roguelike framework. Your Gumballs have persistent stats that can be leveled up, but almost all the event/late game dungeons have specific gimmicks that you'll need to work with. It's a little P2W in a few places, as specific Gumballs can make or break event dungeons, but the overall progression is fantastic.

It's also hilariously copyright infringing the further you get in. Early on you'll be going through dungeons with an Adventurer/Mage/Priest. Late game you'll be bringing Doctor Octopus, The Terminator and the Zerg Queen to collect all 7 Dragon Balls and get a wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Counterpoint, I had no problem reading everything and thought it played really well on the phone.

I agree, but I keep having friends/partner/family complain when I offer to let them to play. The spoiler is how you should play anyway, though.