Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

the fact that a car is a basic tool is an indictment of our insane society. if we had any sense getting a driving license would take longer than a college degree and would be taken away irrevocably at the first sign of irresponsible use. probably also it should be illegal to listen to the radio or have anyone else in the car who could distract you in any way. cars are incredibly loving dangerous. they're normalized yes, but theyre still incredibly dangerous.

:yeah:

I 100% wish I didn’t need to drive but I’d be hosed without a car and that’s stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
In my experience dick pics are really good for making you laugh a lot. Maybe it's just me, but I've never seen one that wasn't at like 0 distance and horribly angled or exposed to flash to the extent that it looks incredibly weird and off-putting like some alien growth.

There was some site I visited once years ago that rated dick pics and goddamn some of those were classy and beautifully shot. It's not just some red, inflated flesh held in a hand. It's art and lighting and the composure of the shot.

Like take the time some girls spend to take their profile pics and do that with your dick. It's more effort, but drat it's also 100% more appealing than the standard "weird, reddish thing in hand" pic.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for giving my dad an ultimatum?

quote:

So, I'm a teenager, and in high school. And I do not like to wake up early. But I am the first one up on weekday mornings at my house, because my parents won't get out of bed.

My dad tells me that if I fail to complete my chores, I'll get my phone taken away for the rest of the day and I'll get it back in the morning.

I told him "have fun getting up at five-thirty or having us all be late" because without my alarms, I won't get up.

Dad got kinda upset at this, and I was wondering if I was the rear end in a top hat?

Edit: If dad didn't take my phone away, I still would get punished. It's a piece of the puzzle, and it still teaches consequences. And not getting all my chores done is only one of the reasons that I'd get this punishment. It's just the easiest to explain.

OP posted:

I can't wake up without multiple alarms, I'm just the only one in the house that will get out of bed. It takes at least ten minutes to get my dad up and twenty to get my mom up. They don't get up with their alarm clocks and I'm nagging to get them out of bed because I don't want to be late to school

Why is a teenager parenting his parents?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i... dude, cars just arent that complicated. they're so commonplace because they're so easy to use. yes, the ruling class has deemed it most profitable to rely on cars and so they're everywhere and theres a huge emphasis on them. but they really do fit this incredibly useful spot that trains and public transit could never cover that even in a scenario where public transit is perfect and always on time and runs every 5 minutes, you still might need a car once and a while and therefore it would be strange if you didnt know how to use one.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And, you know, sometimes you don't live in a big city where buses, trains, and bikes can take you everywhere. And maybe sometimes you want to go to a place that the bus doesn't take you! Whenever you want!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Bramble posted:

Should I(18F) be concerned my (18M) boyfriend’s has been eating horses lately?

I have to assume "eating horses" is some kind of Australian idiom or something because that title is thermonuclear compared to the lame content...

Not to start a fat shaming derail but unless you are 6'9" 270 is not chubby its probably obese. The BMI for a male at 270 lbs has the max for pre-obese at 6 feet.

Nearly hitting 300 and gaining 10lbs a month is a sign of a serious eating disorder or major depression.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

quote:

I (f31) got dumped out of the blue by (m41) so confused!!!

I (f30) got dumped out of the blue by my bf (m41) and abandoned with my daughter
So buckle up this is a long weird trip I’ve been on. I have a daughter with a man Who is not in our life at all. No contact . Nothing . She’s 6. And the love of my life . I met C when she was 2 . We met one night at a bar and he asked me to be his girlfriend that night . I said yes! Bc I was drunk and out at a bar . We slept together (used protection) and he ghosted me that entire weekend after . Weird but no harm no foul. Didn’t even know him . That Monday he texted me and said sorry he had family issues . We went on some dates and spent a weekend together .
Things started being weird . He told me he had to leave to go to a funeral on the 4th of July . So odd . I look at his sisters Instagram and see him in the background they are all at his parents beach house . Liar . I let it go . We meet up later for a couple days in the city (I have never been to his apt) in a hotel . He tells me had a baby with his ex wife that died . His ex wife is out of the picture. I found her Instagram and she lives with another man and is in a long term relationship. She has BPD and looks like she’s doing ok.
Long story short I found out through my investigations he is living with a prostitute he met 5 years ago . They don’t have sex according to her (I pretended to be her old friend on Facebook to chat with her ) she is old and haggard and she cooks and cleans and he pays the rent and everything . She thinks they are in a relationship but it’s clearly not . She said he has erectile dysfunction ( he doesn’t we have sex multiple times a night)
So we can’t meet at his house instead we meet in hotels . I get pregnant ( I know I know ) and I keep it quiet until I know I need an abortion . He brings me and pays and then he brings me to a hotel and leaves and doesn’t come back that night . I leave the hotel alone and grieve alone . It’s pretty much just this poo poo show for years and years . Off and on in hotel rooms but goddamn I love him .
Last July he bought a beautiful home and he invited me up for the weekend . It was perfect . We picked our furniture and he had a room for my daughter . He said she could have whatever she wanted . We met up each weekend and recently in November we all stayed for a week together and over that time we got into 2 big blowout fights . Wine was involved . I was insecure bc I was having money probelems . He doesn’t . His family is quite wealthy and he will inherit a lot and he has a high profile job at a hospital . I got upset bc he was clearly supporting that other woman and I felt like he should have at least offered to help me at times . I have no idea what happened to her and wether she is still living in the apt they had . I’m completely in the dark . I stopped my investigations .
Well last Sunday we FaceTimed in bed and he said he loved us and all last week he avoided me . I said well are we getting together this weekend ?? He said no he had family issues and he’s not ok with the constant boundary stomp I do by bringing up things he said crossed a line . I admit I do . He said he thinks we are done and it’s over . I don’t know what to do . He was my entire world . Can someone talk me off the cliff?? He was going to be my baby’s father ! I’m so upset and confused . He loved us . We had a family .
TL;dr : I had a long weird relationship with a man I love and it finally got fixed and he put in so much effort. We became a family and had a home and now that it became real he left us . I don’t know why

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Larry Parrish posted:

i... dude, cars just arent that complicated. they're so commonplace because they're so easy to use. yes, the ruling class has deemed it most profitable to rely on cars and so they're everywhere and theres a huge emphasis on them. but they really do fit this incredibly useful spot that trains and public transit could never cover that even in a scenario where public transit is perfect and always on time and runs every 5 minutes, you still might need a car once and a while and therefore it would be strange if you didnt know how to use one.

easy to use is not the same as safe. in fact, it's more like the opposite. places where cars are harder to use (more traffic, less parking, higher cost of ownership, higher barriers to licensing, etc.) are much safer to drive in, in large part because you're getting marginal drivers off the road.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

sephiRoth IRA posted:

:yeah:

I 100% wish I didn’t need to drive but I’d be hosed without a car and that’s stupid

ban all private automobiles immediately. if you were stupid enough to live somewhere that this would cause you hardship, you were also probably stupid enough to vote for trump

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

carry on then posted:

ban all private automobiles immediately. if you were stupid enough to live somewhere that this would cause you hardship, you were also probably stupid enough to vote for trump

the sins of the father shall be visited upon the children, said the very leftist goon

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not being more sympathetic towards my husband?

I was gonna hit the clinic until I got high
I was gonna go to the hospital but then I got high
My body is still messed up and I know why

Got bit by a spider, got bit by a spider
And then I got high

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for giving my dad an ultimatum?

Why is a teenager parenting his parents?

Is there a loving gas leak in that house?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I keep trying to throw myself into this tire fire, but I always bounce off, or the tires roll out of the way. How can I pin them down so I can burn myself at a constant rate?

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

extremely online posted:

the sins of the father shall be visited upon the children, said the very leftist goon

that hook is so rusty and forlorn at least wait for one with some feathers before biting

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

empty sea posted:

In my experience dick pics are really good for making you laugh a lot. Maybe it's just me, but I've never seen one that wasn't at like 0 distance and horribly angled or exposed to flash to the extent that it looks incredibly weird and off-putting like some alien growth.

There was some site I visited once years ago that rated dick pics and goddamn some of those were classy and beautifully shot. It's not just some red, inflated flesh held in a hand. It's art and lighting and the composure of the shot.

Like take the time some girls spend to take their profile pics and do that with your dick. It's more effort, but drat it's also 100% more appealing than the standard "weird, reddish thing in hand" pic.

I think part of the problem is for a guy to know what a good dick pic looks like he'd have to look at other photos of dicks.

Whereas men will try to jerk it off of a photo of your elbow that's been taken to look like your arse, so women can send any old poo poo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Based on how my female friends treat dick pics, the most likely result of sending one to a woman is that she laughs at your weird dick with her friends.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Straight White Shark posted:

easy to use is not the same as safe. in fact, it's more like the opposite. places where cars are harder to use (more traffic, less parking, higher cost of ownership, higher barriers to licensing, etc.) are much safer to drive in, in large part because you're getting marginal drivers off the road.

yep! there are of course rural areas where cars are currently necessary, and some amount of individual vehicles would exist even in an ideal society. but, we actually could make public transportation work for almost all of america. it’s just not profitable, so we choose not to.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Everyone in that story is too stupid to live except the child to whom I will give the benefit of the doubt. The kid should sever from their mother and probably to be safe murder the dude.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

They don't ask you to parallel park in Florida. And then the license can transfer anywhere. I feel like a danger to myself and others behind the wheel but I can drive legally
License transferability is one of the things that caught me off guard when young-me first moved to a new state for the first time. There’s effectively no process or checks. No driving test, no written test of the new state’s laws, no detailed application process, no requirement to prove I’m a competent driver, nothing.

Just literally hand over your old license and proof of new address and yep, here’s your license, welcome. Really hope the last state knew what they were doing giving you a license in the first place.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

MagusofStars posted:

License transferability is one of the things that caught me off guard when young-me first moved to a new state for the first time. There’s effectively no process or checks. No driving test, no written test of the new state’s laws, no detailed application process, no requirement to prove I’m a competent driver, nothing.

Just literally hand over your old license and proof of new address and yep, here’s your license, welcome. Really hope the last state knew what they were doing giving you a license in the first place.

That's a state by state thing. In Oregon you need to pass the knowledge test in order to transfer an out of state license.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

welcome to hell posted:

I (26M) found out the girl I like (29F) spent time in jail for stabbing her ex.

I went on a date with a woman that point blank asked me, on the first date, if I’d rather got shot or stabbed to death. Then told me that she stabbed her ex for breaking her heart. I nope nope noped outta there so fast.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Maybe he found out about her punctuation .

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

the fact that a car is a basic tool is an indictment of our insane society. if we had any sense getting a driving license would take longer than a college degree and would be taken away irrevocably at the first sign of irresponsible use. probably also it should be illegal to listen to the radio or have anyone else in the car who could distract you in any way. cars are incredibly loving dangerous. they're normalized yes, but theyre still incredibly dangerous.

Agreed about revoking licenses for irresponsible use but even a half semester actual college type class could cover pretty much anything you’d ever need to know about driving, it’s not rocket science.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Agreed about revoking licenses for irresponsible use but even a half semester actual college type class could cover pretty much anything you’d ever need to know about driving, it’s not rocket science.

Yeah, there’s a lot of bad driving habits that you aren’t going to educate out of people no matter how long you stick them in driving school. Part of learning to drive is understanding that everyone else on the road is about to do the dumbest poo poo they can think of and being prepared to react to that. The other part is understanding that you’re in that category of “everyone else” to everyone else. But in the majority of the country the way everything is set up, you need a car. And even in the presence of a robust-as-possible public transportation system, people are still going to need to drive because schedules or pick-up and drop-off points aren’t going to be able to cover 100 percent of use cases. I’ve lived places where I didn’t have to drive, and it was awesome, but I would be 100 percent hosed if I didn’t have a car where I am now.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yeah i'd love to not need a car but where i am the alternative would be... a horse, i think.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

There's a study about how car customization/bumper sticker stuff correlates to aggressive driving.

People can consider their car their personal space. But when some rear end in a top hat brushes past you on the sidewalk it doesn't break your legs.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I know it's a strange correlation to make but I've been finding that people driving old minivans are the most aggressive, inconsiderate and/or incapable drivers. I'd put them above BMW drivers in this regard. Am I imagining things or does anyone else notice this? I wonder why?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Drivers of old volvos are the worst, as they no longer fear death

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The only car I've ever seen someone drive so fast that they caught air on a speed bump was a Trabant.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Roommate(29F), left her kids in my care without asking me(31m)

quote:

She gets her kids on the weekends and Sunday she came home and left them in my care, without asking me, she just did it. I am an on call medical equipment tech and if I get called out, I have to go. I thought it was extremely inconsiderate to do that without asking me. I want to have a talk with her and tell her how rude and inconsiderate it was to do that. Am I out of line by telling her how I feel?

quote:

What the hell, that is extremely inconsiderate and out of line of her to do that. Where did she go lol.

quote:

To a dudes house. No I’m not making that up to add to the narrative.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

(20F) My dad (57M) saw my nudes on fetlife and asking if he could "rent me for the night" (self.relationships)

submitted 1 hour ago by lookingattfunto /relationships

8 commentssharesavehidereport[removed by moderators]nsfb

quote:

It's just happened as soon as I saw his face in my inbox I went numb. I blocked him but the subject line was asking if he could pay for a night with me. If he went through my profile he saw everything but my face. I have lip rings and they are in some pictures plus clothes he can never see me in again. I just moved back in because he is very sick and my mom can't take care of him alone and im freaking out because its obviously my bedroom in the background. What are the chances my mom knows he is on there? He couldn't have known it was me he wouldn't have sent the message if he did. This is coming to the grave with me. But I can't just move out and I see him every day. And gently caress I need help or advice or something

TL: DR Dad saw dirty pictures of me, doesn't know it's me and asked to pay for a night with me. See him every day and need advice or tips to get over this

:barf:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
AITA for not wanting my GFs male friend at our home with just her when I'm at work?
History,

My GF and I have lived together for about a year. She has a friend that lives close by and he's well, a dude, and there's absolutely no problem there. From time to time I would come home and he would on his way out and my GF would let me know he was over and was leaving to give us our privacy. No biggie. This happened a few times, again all good never had a reason to doubt her faithfulness. Still don't. Now, I come to find out around Halloween that they had slept together before we had gotten together. At this point I started to question why this was never brought up. To me that's the kind of knowledge that should probably come up front so we can discuss boundaries in good faith. While I don't suspect they were sleeping together at any point during our relationship, I couldn't really ditch the feeling that something was off. I talked to a few people to get a base for my feelings and determined I was not comfortable with them hanging out at our house while I wasn't there. That's not to say I don't want them being friends or whatever, just that I'm not comfortable with passing this guy on his way out when I'm on my way in. She agreed, somewhat hesitantly, but I let her know straight up this was dealbreaker territory for me.

Fast forward to now and she's really upset that I'm being controlling and "ending their friendship" out of jealousy. AitA for not wanting this guy around?

Edit: From her point of view it was a long time ago and they're childhood friends so she never really viewed him that way and didn't think it was worth bringing up. She agreed that she should have and that was her basis for going along with my request to keep him out of our house.

Edit 2: I suppose I should also disclose that this guy has admitted feelings and proclaimed that he loved my GF before we got together. And yeah I suppose I have feelings of insecurity about that whole thing. Even if I trust my GF it feels pretty lovely that this dude is for sure just waiting in the wings playing the long game.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

first of all, I DON'T think anything's going on. I'm just worried that something might be.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

askamanager posted:

I’ve been at my new job for a month and today they had a potluck and a meeting. They put a sign up in the break room where we could write down what we were going to bring. I thought okay, I will keep it simple and get Hawaiian rolls. Well, to my surprise, someone who didn’t put their name on the list brought cheap rear end rolls! I don’t know who did it, nor do I care ! Well, I did care because to me that was the first slap in the face to welcome me aboard! So instead of eating with everyone, I got up and went to work while everyone else ate. I thought it was rude to hang a sign up to bring a potluck and then people just bring what everyone else does. I mean, really! Why even put up a sign?

Then they started with the staff meeting, where I didn’t know what to expect because after all it was my first one. So we are sitting there and the slide says, “Let’s introduce the new people.” My name was first and a woman who started two weeks after me was on there. So he starts off by telling the other woman “welcome to the team, blah blah blah” and skips right over me and says nothing. I’m sitting there thinking I know this jackass didn’t skip right over me, but I sat there with a smile on my face and pretended I wasn’t upset. So he’s about to go to the next slide and someone speaks up and says, “What about Ann?” and he laughs and looks at me and says, “Omg, I didn’t realize you were new!” To me that was another slap in the face! I mean, if you don’t want me working for you, then just say so! So, I’m already mad over someone disrespecting me over bringing rolls which I said I would bring, then he skips right over me like I wasn’t even sitting there when my name was first on the stupid PowerPoint!

In your opinion, what the hell is going on? Was I wrong to walk out of the potluck and go straight to work? I think that makes a statement as far as I was concerned because I’m not going to hang around fake rear end people. Now there is a Secret Santa and I’m not doing it! I don’t want any part of it. They can take Santa and stick it up their rear end!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA For Insisting My Wife Not Put In Two Weeks Notice?

So my wife recently got a new job, and we are very excited. It's closer to home, is more stable, pays a little more, and most importantly is a much less toxic environment. The reason that it's a much less toxic environment is that at her current job she works under an office manager who got her job through nepotism and treats her employees like poo poo. One recent example of this (among many) is that when the last employee who left put in their two weeks notice, she told them immediately to leave and not come back, not even allowing them to say goodbye to coworkers with whom they'd spent several years.

Based on that, I think it's fair to assume that when/if my wife puts in her two weeks notice, she will get similar treatment. This would be fine except for the fact that she can't start her job until an already-agreed-upon date, so if her boss pulls the same poo poo we will be out two weeks of pay. While we aren't in poverty we certainly aren't wealthy either, and we really can't afford to give up that money. My wife, however, firmly believes that giving two weeks notice is the "right thing to do" and says that she feels too uncomfortable not to. The way I see it, she is essentially throwing away a ton of money in an attempt to try and do right by someone who is virtually guaranteed to only punish her for it. She has put her foot down and refused to reconsider, and I in turn have told her that I'm not going to support the decision or pretend I'm not upset with her for doing something so foolish and absurd. AITA?

​Clarifying Info: In case it matters or anyone cares, we both work full time and make similar amounts of money.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA For Insisting My Wife Not Put In Two Weeks Notice?

Can we have a national PSA that a "two weeks notice" is a courtesy and not some weird employment law.

Your boss won't give two shits about firing you at 4:59PM on the night before Christmas so why give a poo poo about inconveniencing a toxic boss?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Barudak posted:

So how do you like your green tomatoes prepared?

I appreciated this. What a great book!

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Power Khan posted:

they're childhood friends so she never really viewed him that way and didn't think it was worth bringing up.

I'd be more concerned that she fucks people she doesn't think of in a sexual way.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hattie Masters posted:

I don't think they should drive, but having a photo ID is amazing and people who use their passports are weird.

let people use whatever valid form of ID that they want, you butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA For Being Hungry at a Work Lunch?

Can hardly believe this is an issue but here goes,

I work on a small team at a medium sized corporation. One of my more senior teammates (not my manager) got a intern for the Winter and wanted to take her out to lunch. He invited all of us to go with him. When we got to the restaurant I couldn't decide what I wanted to eat so I ended up ordering two different entrees so I could try different things. Senior teammate asked if I skipped breakfast or something and I laughed it off. I figured it would be fine since it's on the corporate card, right? Wrong. Turns out management didn't approve the lunch but my teammate thought it was important to do anyway as a nice gesture to our intern so he ended up putting down his card. The meal came out to $100 between the five of us, with my food totaling $45.

To top it all off, the food wasn't even that good so I ended up sending both entrees back half eaten. I don't think it's my fault that the food was bad or even that I was starving, so I can't understand why my teammate would be upset at me. He's asked me to limit my eating if we ever go out to lunch again, like, come on dude? Hopefully you kind folks can tell me what I can say to him to get him to move on.

So folks, AITA?