Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Every few weeks I look at the pristine sealed copy of naploeon’s triumph on my shelf purchased for $40 from CSI and I think, “you rest a little longer.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Every few weeks I look at the pristine sealed copy of naploeon’s triumph on my shelf purchased for $40 from CSI and I think, “you rest a little longer.”

Your stickers won’t stick if you ever try to play it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Your stickers won’t stick if you ever try to play it.

That's what a little dab of glue is for.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

silvergoose posted:

That's what a little dab of glue is for.

I’ve also heard people do a spray sealant, but I can’t imagine that would be necessary after gluing the flags.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I am fed up and I have had it.

I am making a custom box for MBT that will actually fit all the pieces

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
If you want to play NT just on Vassal. I've gotten in like two or three games with Cenotaph and we've never had any issues with it. Hell, it's a lot easier to play online anyway because there's no cleaning up to do. Unless you're one of those people who has some inexplicable hatred for Vassal.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Phi230 posted:

I am fed up and I have had it.

I am making a custom box for MBT that will actually fit all the pieces

Ammo cans and wine crates/boxes have been a popular grog solution for storing system games.

Also if you have other entries in MBT you could divy things up per box? Like books in one box, maps in another, counters in another...

Speaking of, my wargame wishlist is to just sort through the stuff I have. See what exactly is in some of those system boxes.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Copyright infringement is not theft. Under Canadian law it is perfectly acceptable to copy anything you want, so long as the copied portion is for the purposes of private study or research. Printing out a rule book you found on BGG is not against the law, and neither is printing a map for your private non-commercial use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing_in_Canadian_copyright_law

Stealing a copyright would be really challenging.

So your cunning plan, if sued, is to lie about why you infringed on the copyright, pay for a lawyer, and hope you don't lose?

You could just get the game for less than that.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

homullus posted:

So your cunning plan, if sued, is to lie about why you infringed on the copyright, pay for a lawyer, and hope you don't lose?

You could just get the game for less than that.

If they sued me in Canadian court they would have to prove damages. Seeing as the game is not for sale that would be pretty challenging.

Ithle01 posted:

If you want to play NT just on Vassal. I've gotten in like two or three games with Cenotaph and we've never had any issues with it. Hell, it's a lot easier to play online anyway because there's no cleaning up to do. Unless you're one of those people who has some inexplicable hatred for Vassal.

Playing games on Vassal is theft and you should be ashamed of yourself :colbert:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Who the gently caress is going to get sued for a personal copy of a game

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Nobody, of course. Someone just woke up wanting to play an agitprop card during his/her move in the COIN we call "Armchair General HQ" Let's hope they fail their roll. Or whatever. I'm not sure how these COIN thingies work, exactly. Do I have to play a "magic missile " spell-card to negate? Pretend I just did that, then.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

AARP LARPer posted:

Nobody, of course. Someone just woke up wanting to play an agitprop card during his/her move in the COIN we call "Armchair General HQ" Let's hope they fail their roll. Or whatever. I'm not sure how these COIN thingies work, exactly. Do I have to play a "magic missile " spell-card to negate? Pretend I just did that, then.

I mean your username would imply a spell of a very specific sort.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I mean, I guess I can appreciate taking a moral stand on the principle of publishing rights even in the instance of a private-use one-off, but I would have thought the moral quandry of "playing a game" based on real-life scenarios of mass slaughter, genocide, and various crimes against humanity, etc., etc., would have filtered out the pearl-clutching types far earlier (to connect back to an earlier thread).

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
It's Rutibex so I'm not going to bother to respond to him because why the gently caress would I ever do that particularly when he's just trolling, but to the other people in the thread I'll just say that I really don't think Rachel Simmons gives a poo poo. If you feel bad mail her like $20 or something. She knows the game is really hard to get and has tried to deliver it to people in the past. If anything I'd think she's happy someone is enjoying her work.

Also, Cenotaph owns the physical game so like, yeah, this is extra loving stupid. If Vassal didn't exist I'd probably spend much less money on boardgames so if the boardgame industry wants to bitch about people free playing their niche products then they're loving idiots.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Krazyface posted:

The upcoming second expansion to Labyrinth does have a Trump tweets card, yes.

Whyyyyy. As in whyyyyy am I pre-ordering this expansion for a game that didn't even make sense before the first expansion and has gone increasingly off the rails since then?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
What's the story behind NT anyway? Why won't it get reprinted?

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Because people in the groggame business are bad at business, op

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Couple years ago when she was selling the last of it via ebay there was a typo in the title so unless you looked for what parses as "Napoleon is Triumph" all you would find were the usual $450 ones.

I only found it by following an ebay link from the Simmons Games page and goddam do I consider myself blessed.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
More like because wargames are niche and most of the people that want Napoleons Triumph probably already have a copy, so it's not worth doing another full print run.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

That assumes no one else is gonna pick it up though which is a kind of self limiting thing doing the hobby zero favours.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

taser rates posted:

More like because wargames are niche and most of the people that want Napoleons Triumph probably already have a copy, so it's not worth doing another full print run.

This is specifically Rachel's reasoning, at least what she shared.

It would be a decent amount of work, for what she suspects would not be much money.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Sleekly posted:

That assumes no one else is gonna pick it up though which is a kind of self limiting thing doing the hobby zero favours.

She had the game up for 150, clearing out stock, and it moved so slowly that she did some math and it reinforced her conclusions. :shrug:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Arguably it was a much longer tail than it should’ve been because she priced so high. She said it was “priced to market” but...well if you increase the supply... how much was the game’s retail price originally?

In any case, yeah there’s no real reason to print more aside from a made-to-order model. I can only imagine how much that will cost when Hollandspiele’s small boxes with maybe 100 counters costs $50 already.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I just wanna play BaM 2nd Ed and Stavka

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

If anyone’s in Lansing, MI and wants to play it, I have a copy

e: NT that is

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Yeah that's a fuckload of wood just on the face of it. I bet it would need to be somewhere around $150-$200 for a publisher to actually publish it. and "I want it at normal BG prices" and "I want it at middle/top end wargame prices" are very different things. Look how much Euro gamers bitch about paying $100 for FCM.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I bet if she pitched it to GMT as a P500 it would have a chance. They produce plenty of copies of Sekigahara and C&C at reasonable prices, and their marketing reach is enormous by wargaming standards.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Has anyone played Hollandspiel’s Supply Lines of the America Revolution series?

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 25, 2019

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ropes4u posted:

No, but almost their entire catalogue is on my wish list, and they're having a holiday sale. They have games on some wonderfully odd topics, like Westphalia, a negotiations game for exactly six players.

https://hollandspiele.com/

I think I'm in for Table Battles, NATO Air Commander, and An Infamous Trade.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
I'll say that I was unimpressed by the shields and swords series. In particular the Grunwald Swords seems to be completely broken.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

mllaneza posted:

No, but almost their entire catalogue is on my wish list, and they're having a holiday sale. They have games on some wonderfully odd topics, like Westphalia, a negotiations game for exactly six players.

I’m debating Supply lines or Marcus Aurelius. I want to like NATO commander but I don’t need more acronyms in my life.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

NATO Commander is fun but relentlessly grim. Technically the game doesn't end in nuclear armageddon unless you lose, but thematically the game definitely ends in nuclear armageddon.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite part of NATO Commander is how it gives you multiple missions but you can only realistically complete one.

Get 5 strike hits on 2 separate zones? Lol good luck stretching your Escord/SEAD assets thin, and then having every flight fail

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

mllaneza posted:

I want to get An Infamous Traffic, especially since Cole tweeted that it won't be available for a couple of years, but the only place selling it outside the UK is a shop in the Wirral that won't post games; you have to pick them up at a convention or the shop itself.

I suppose I'm getting the PnP...

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I picked up NATO air commander and This Guilty Land a while back. Great games

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Safety Biscuits posted:

I want to get An Infamous Traffic, especially since Cole tweeted that it won't be available for a couple of years, but the only place selling it outside the UK is a shop in the Wirral that won't post games; you have to pick them up at a convention or the shop itself.

I suppose I'm getting the PnP...

If you're talking about Second Chance Games, they absolutely do post. We got a copy of Pavlov's House from them like last week.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

CaptainApathyUK posted:

If you're talking about Second Chance Games, they absolutely do post. We got a copy of Pavlov's House from them like last week.

I am, and I stand corrected, then. That's an obtuse website.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Ropes4u posted:

This isn't helpful at all, but Supply Lines North has been sitting unplayed on my shelf since last year's sale. I just haven't got around to it yet.

Charlemagne is the best States of Siege/whackamole solitaire game I've ever played, but ultimately it has the luck issues endemic to that whole genre.

Ukrainian Crisis is just OK?

Everyone should try An Infamous Traffic. It's a unique and fascinating experience, if not a mechanically rock solid game.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

CaptainRightful posted:

I love Paths of Glory and really want to try Pursuit, because you can easily play an entire game of Paths without doing anything at all in the Mideast Theater.

I have played it five times with friends who are fairly inexperienced (as am I) with wargames. Honestly a couple of games ended with disappointment for both victor and loser because they were decided by ridiculous cuts to supply lines that went unnoticed because trying to play in a single session had fried both our brains. But also because of our low level of play I got to experience winning by taking Constantinople with the MEF since my friend at that point had decided that he could safely ignore the Near East despite how openly I focused on it. Certainly a fun narrative for a victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

There is a US$30 Thunderbolt Apache Leader expansion on Kickstarter if you ever wanted more of eveything for that thing.

I do lol.