Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Motronic posted:

(20F) My dad (57M) saw my nudes on fetlife and asking if he could "rent me for the night" (self.relationships)

submitted 1 hour ago by lookingattfunto /relationships

8 commentssharesavehidereport[removed by moderators]nsfb

:barf:

While bad was expecting something much worse from the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

La Brea Carpet posted:

Can we have a national PSA that a "two weeks notice" is a courtesy and not some weird employment law.

Your boss won't give two shits about firing you at 4:59PM on the night before Christmas so why give a poo poo about inconveniencing a toxic boss?

This, when you fire people as soon as they put in two weeks then you no longer deserve that courtesy. Op's wife is being overly courteous to someone who they know is about to spit in her face

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA For Being Hungry at a Work Lunch?

Can hardly believe this is an issue but here goes,

I work on a small team at a medium sized corporation. One of my more senior teammates (not my manager) got a intern for the Winter and wanted to take her out to lunch. He invited all of us to go with him. When we got to the restaurant I couldn't decide what I wanted to eat so I ended up ordering two different entrees so I could try different things. Senior teammate asked if I skipped breakfast or something and I laughed it off. I figured it would be fine since it's on the corporate card, right? Wrong. Turns out management didn't approve the lunch but my teammate thought it was important to do anyway as a nice gesture to our intern so he ended up putting down his card. The meal came out to $100 between the five of us, with my food totaling $45.

To top it all off, the food wasn't even that good so I ended up sending both entrees back half eaten. I don't think it's my fault that the food was bad or even that I was starving, so I can't understand why my teammate would be upset at me. He's asked me to limit my eating if we ever go out to lunch again, like, come on dude? Hopefully you kind folks can tell me what I can say to him to get him to move on.

So folks, AITA?

glad to see party sub guy has entered the corporate world

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I dunno how this varies by state, but at places I have been if they aren't comfortable letting you serve out the notice period they will pay you for the two weeks. If they don't pay people for the for notice period then gently caress them.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

QuarkJets posted:

This, when you fire people as soon as they put in two weeks then you no longer deserve that courtesy. Op's wife is being overly courteous to someone who they know is about to spit in her face

Isn’t this every employer, basically?

Also while I’m 100% for using the max on corporate buying food, lol at the dummy buying two full meals, eating enough of both that they didn’t get refunded, and then sending them both back

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Also while I’m 100% for using the max on corporate buying food, lol at the dummy buying two full meals, eating enough of both that they didn’t get refunded, and then sending them both back

The guy is a total idiot.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

therobit posted:

I dunno how this varies by state, but at places I have been if they aren't comfortable letting you serve out the notice period they will pay you for the two weeks. If they don't pay people for the for notice period then gently caress them.

We've done this with someone who we knew would be a problem. She had a major problem with insubordination and starting office drama, and we were thankful that she put in her two weeks. Then the very next day she started causing even more problems, like threatening to report us as committing a crime for not giving her her latest pay stub....when we had switched to a new provider and pay stubs were now given out the next day. After talking it over we agreed that she would be more trouble than she was worth so we gave her 2 weeks' pay and told her to clean out her desk.

She decided that would be the best time to try and start an office uprising yelling at me, and I nearly had to forcibly turn her computer off to stop her from doing anything more on it. She's since filed a lawsuit claiming that we owe her extra money and we may have just found evidence of her breaking into work email accounts after hours!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

La Brea Carpet posted:

Can we have a national PSA that a "two weeks notice" is a courtesy and not some weird employment law.

Your boss won't give two shits about firing you at 4:59PM on the night before Christmas so why give a poo poo about inconveniencing a toxic boss?

In the UK it forms part of your contractual agreement and while 99% of the time it won't matter, you're legally obliged to work the notice period and your employer must pay you for it. The same applies in reverse, they are obliged to pay you for your notice period, and they can ask you to work it if they fire you (excluding gross misconduct).

In most jobs in the UK the notice period is a month, but as I work in a sensitive "professional" role (i.e. It's a job that requires a professional qualification) my notice period is actually 3 months.

Realistically I could moonwalk out of my office tomorrow and nothing bad would technically happen, but if me not being there resulted in some sort of material financial loss I could be sued.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Its gross and rude as hell to order 2 meals. Were they planning to take one home if they liked it? Or just eat both? Or are an insanely picky eater?

I ordered a $14 entree instead of a $8 entree at a corporate paid lunch once and they made jokes for ages. Granted they all knew that I was a new hire and later told me that you typically eat light for a company lunch to encourage it to be a regular thing and not something they cut to save money.

I can't even imagine the logic of "well since someone else is paying I'll get to meals and just sample them both" what are they like when out with friends and someone offers to cover? Just ordering the entire apps menu and stare befuddled when people start yelling at them?

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

pentyne posted:

what are they like when out with friends and someone offers to cover? Just ordering the entire apps menu and stare befuddled when people start yelling at them?
"I'll get the next round of drinks mate"
"Oh in that case, I'll have a margarita and a jack and coke"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

pentyne posted:

Its gross and rude as hell to order 2 meals. Were they planning to take one home if they liked it? Or just eat both? Or are an insanely picky eater?

I ordered a $14 entree instead of a $8 entree at a corporate paid lunch once and they made jokes for ages. Granted they all knew that I was a new hire and later told me that you typically eat light for a company lunch to encourage it to be a regular thing and not something they cut to save money.

I can't even imagine the logic of "well since someone else is paying I'll get to meals and just sample them both" what are they like when out with friends and someone offers to cover? Just ordering the entire apps menu and stare befuddled when people start yelling at them?

We can safely assume that the guy who casually orders two entrees "just in case" at a restaurant is a terminal fat bastard.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

I would bet money they’re the type of person to go out to lunch with friends, and when the bill comes, pull the “uh, I’m a little light this week...” without discussing it beforehand.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I've never been fired for giving notice, not do I know anyone who has been.

Edit: to be fair, that would actually be illegal in Canada.

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 25, 2019

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I read 2 entrees as "instead of a main" and thought that was reasonable but I remembered for some reason you guys call main courses entrees. Who the hell orders two mains and sends them both back?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

We can safely assume that the guy who casually orders two entrees "just in case" at a restaurant is a terminal fat bastard.

The OPs comments are either laser guided for maximum outrage or they really are clueless as gently caress. An example

OP posted:

The corporation takes in tens of millions a year if not more. They can afford my two dishes. As I said I was hungry and couldn’t decide. I still don’t understand what’s so bad about that thinking even if my teammate ended up putting down his own card.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

I've never been fired for giving notice, not do I know anyone who has been.
If anything, a lot of employers I’ve seen end up going the other way - what’s the latest date you can possibly work for us while we scramble like hell trying to download all the project-specific information you’ve got to other team members?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
In commissioned roles they often want to get you out of the building ASAP because you could steal client lists, etc.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

When I worked retail I’ve seen people put in two weeks only to have the last week give them no hours. I never understood why because it often wasn’t a performance thing and we were almost always understaffed.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

MagusofStars posted:

If anything, a lot of employers I’ve seen end up going the other way - what’s the latest date you can possibly work for us while we scramble like hell trying to download all the project-specific information you’ve got to other team members?

Or “what’s the latest date you can work for us because the team you’re on has been understaffed for years and your leaving will make it critically understaffed, so we need every last drop of work we can get from you before things really hit the fan.”

I’ve seen employers state that you may not get paid for back PTO if you don’t give two weeks’ notice.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ayndin posted:

Or “what’s the latest date you can work for us because the team you’re on has been understaffed for years and your leaving will make it critically understaffed, so we need every last drop of work we can get from you before things really hit the fan.”

I’ve seen employers state that you may not get paid for back PTO if you don’t give two weeks’ notice.

I worked at a place that tried to not pay out on back PTO for someone because he gave two weeks notice. They said that wasn’t a reasonable amount of time.
The worst part was that he was going down to per diem and they still had him filling a bunch of shifts, so his response was basically “give me the check for my back PTO or I quit” and they caved.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

therobit posted:

In commissioned roles they often want to get you out of the building ASAP because you could steal client lists, etc.

Which is something that we've also had! She also stole test questions to try and sell to the highest bidder.

In the case of the girl we denied the two weeks to, she continued messing with her computer and tried to tell me I "had no authority" to make her stop after she had been told to clean out her desk. In some places that's enough to get very large men in polo shirts to physically force you away from your desk.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not being more sympathetic towards my husband?

ESH. stop playing power games and get him to the hospital. if he's refusing, call an ambulance.

brown recluses have a few different strains of venom and a couple of them are hemotoxic. they also might be necroticizing (estimates of up to 37% of all such bites). their bites can kill children of average body size ages 7 and under. for a grown adult they can cause golf ball size abscesses that will become gangrenous without medical intervention. don't google pictures of bites, you'll be sorry you did.

it is actually somewhat unlikely that he got a recluse bite. they aren't common as the species is not aggressive and does its best to avoid interaction with anything bigger than it. and hallucinations are not actually on the common symptoms list so that's kind of more concerning. whatever is going on there it is time for someone to step up and be the adult.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've heard in lots of roles that deal with finances it's customary to politely walk the person out under guard as soon as they serve notice, but pay the two weeks and everything stays friendly. I don't know how much giving notice actually pushes folks over the embezzlement temptation line, but at some point somebody decided it was too much.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

lol if you posted:

ESH. stop playing power games and get him to the hospital. if he's refusing, call an ambulance.

brown recluses have a few different strains of venom and a couple of them are hemotoxic. they also might be necroticizing (estimates of up to 37% of all such bites). their bites can kill children of average body size ages 7 and under. for a grown adult they can cause golf ball size abscesses that will become gangrenous without medical intervention. don't google pictures of bites, you'll be sorry you did.

it is actually somewhat unlikely that he got a recluse bite. they aren't common as the species is not aggressive and does its best to avoid interaction with anything bigger than it. and hallucinations are not actually on the common symptoms list so that's kind of more concerning. whatever is going on there it is time for someone to step up and be the adult.

curious where you heard 37%? last time i checked it was less than one in one hundred.

2nding the advice on not googling the pictures though. Jesus.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bruceski posted:

I've heard in lots of roles that deal with finances it's customary to politely walk the person out under guard as soon as they serve notice, but pay the two weeks and everything stays friendly. I don't know how much giving notice actually pushes folks over the embezzlement temptation line, but at some point somebody decided it was too much.

Along with embezzlement or theft, it's also easily possible for an especially spiteful employee to sabotage things on their way out (especially if they were fired or doing so badly that they expect to get fired shortly). Unless you're in a huge corporation where nobody knows anybody, you can generally gauge whether someone who put in their two weeks is going to be a problem. We've had two people who were difficult to work with cause major issues and end up leaving early after giving their notice, but we had one who we already expected to leave because he was just working here temporarily until he got a job in his desired field. He didn't cause any problems, helped with a smooth transition, and left with a positive recommendation from us.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
AITA for refusing to adopt a baby?

quote:

Just to explain the situation- I am a woman, married to a younger man, with four adult children from a previous relationship. My husband always said, from the very first date, that he did not want any children. I certainly do not want anymore.

Recently he has started talking about having children. I'm past the menopause, I can't have anymore naturally. But he is a teacher, and he recently told me about a student in his class with a very strict, religious family who is pregnant. My husband wanted to adopt this baby.

At first I was torn. I didn't want this girl to get in trouble, I didn't want to let my husband down and I really, really, really did not want a baby. And in the end, I said no. I said we were not taking this baby.

Now my husband is mad at me, and when I told my friend, she said I was selfish. Am I the rear end in a top hat here?

Its totally his kid, isn't it?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
AITA For Refusing To Hang Up A Sign My Grandmother-In-Law Bought For Our House?

quote:

My wife and I got married about a year ago, and she took my last name. (Let's say it's Smith, and my wife's maiden name will be Johnson)

So we are the Smiths, and we recently had a son too. So let me preface this with the fact that I love my Grandmother-In-Law, she is a wonderful woman who loves her family to the moon and back. But she's only had sons, so she doesn't know what it's like to not have your family name move on. All of her sons are married to women who are now Johnson's, all of her grandkids are Johnson's. She's got this "Johnson-Pride", which is great. There's nothing wrong with being proud of your large family. The problem is that she doesn't seem to respect the family name's of her daughter-in-laws. My Mother-In-Law once told me a story about how Grandma Johnson got super offended by my MIL's mother (let's call them Butler) saying my wife's personality as a child was from the Butler family. It didn't sit well with Grandma Johnson, who said "no she's a Johnson through and through, you can tell". Grandma Butler, bless her heart, never challenged this, and would just let Grandma Johnson have her way, and according to my MIL, it happened more than often, and with the other Daughter-in-laws as well.

So, now that my wife and I have our little family starting, we bought a home, and my Grandmother-In-Law got us a house warming present. The present was a big wooden sign that says "Bless This Johnson House". It's a very thoughtful gift, but my house isn't a Johnson house, it's a Smith house. My kid's last name is Smith, and he's a member of the Smith family. So I don't want this sign hanging in my house.

The other day, my wife's uncle came to visit (he knew my Grandmother-in-law had gotten us the sign) and when he didn't see it up, he said it was disrespectful to her. I told him exactly what I wrote in the paragraph above, and asked him how he'd react if his wife's mom tried hanging up a similar sign with her last name on it. He said that's different because of how storied and strong his family ties are, and that being a Johnson is more than surname, it's an honor. I told him I'm honored to be part of the Johnson family, but we are the Smiths. This is a Smith household. My wife is a Smith, my son is a Smith, that's who we are, and we're proud to be Smith's. My wife is mostly on my side but has asked if maybe we could put it up when Grandma Johnson visited, to appease her. My MIL is 100% on my side and wants me to keep it down even when Grandma Johnson comes for a visit, she's even told him to just throw it out lol. So AITA for straight up refusing to put this sign up?

TLDR - My grandmother-in-law bought my wife and I a sign to hang in our house that says "Bless this Johnson House", when my last name, and the last name of my child and now my wife, is Smith. So I won't hang it up in my house.

Its a disrespectful sign to give you, so its not disrespectful to refuse to hang it up.

With Christmas around the corner, I sincerely hope OP sends out Christmas cards signed THE SMITH FAMILY.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

curious where you heard 37%? last time i checked it was less than one in one hundred.

2nding the advice on not googling the pictures though. Jesus.

just plain old wiki. but it cites this study:

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Brown+recluse+spider+bites+to+the+head%3A+three+cases+and+a+review-a0124261634

quote:

Systemic reactions. Systemic loxoscelism is less common than skin necrosis. In one series of bites, the incidence of skin necrosis was 37% and the incidence of systemic illness was 14%.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I am endlessly amused by the silly nothing problems some of the people feel compelled to post about

AITA for yelling at my mom for opening the balcony door and a pigeon almost walked inside?

quote:

I always sleep on a mattress in the living room in my mom’s apartment building. I sleep right next to the balcony and did the same last night. However, when my mom work up at 6am to go for a run, she noticed it was hot and opened the balcony door. She forgot to close the slider screen door with the little holes in it (similar to the draining dishes for noodles) when she opened the main balcony door. So it was WIDE open. But I was sleeping and heard pigeon noises. It’s not uncommon for me to hear pigeon noises since they always come to the balcony in the morning (i live on the 6th floor btw). But this one was close. I see a pigeon with its head literally inside my apartment. About 3 feet from the inside. And I screamed So loud because I’m terrified of pigeons. The pigeon thankfully went outside instead of inside out of fear. I slammed the balcony door shut and called me mom and yelled at her for leaving it wide open and almost having a pigeon walk inside

AITA here?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling a store clerk my baby died?

Obvious content warning for infant loss.

I lost my baby at 34 weeks pregnant. Since I was so close to full term, I obviously had baby clothes, furniture, toys, diapers etc.

I kept gift receipts, tags, all sorts of things. When I lost my son, I returned everything I could. I bought a lot of things at a store specific for babies and baby products. The last time I was in there I was very pregnant so the employee was excited to see me not pregnant thinking I had a little bouncing baby at home.

When she asked why I was returning these things I said they just didn’t work out for me. She kept pushing, offering to exchange for anything obviously being a good employee so in no way am I implying she’s the rear end in a top hat.

But after a few minutes I said “My baby died, so I don’t need to exchange anything thank you.” She was obviously taken aback and started crying.

When I called my friend on the way home to talk about it, she told me that was super uncalled for and she couldn’t have known my baby died.

Did I cross the line? Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

lol if you posted:

I was about to point out those bites, because ohhhhhh poo poo.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Dienes posted:

Possibly the first time someone’s walked into a house and been angry that the Johnson wasn’t in plain sight.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling a store clerk my baby died?

Obvious content warning for infant loss.

I lost my baby at 34 weeks pregnant. Since I was so close to full term, I obviously had baby clothes, furniture, toys, diapers etc.

I kept gift receipts, tags, all sorts of things. When I lost my son, I returned everything I could. I bought a lot of things at a store specific for babies and baby products. The last time I was in there I was very pregnant so the employee was excited to see me not pregnant thinking I had a little bouncing baby at home.

When she asked why I was returning these things I said they just didn’t work out for me. She kept pushing, offering to exchange for anything obviously being a good employee so in no way am I implying she’s the rear end in a top hat.

But after a few minutes I said “My baby died, so I don’t need to exchange anything thank you.” She was obviously taken aback and started crying.

When I called my friend on the way home to talk about it, she told me that was super uncalled for and she couldn’t have known my baby died.

Did I cross the line? Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Nobody is the rear end in a top hat here. Working in a maternity store one should know not to push too hard on any issue. I guess it was a bit harsh but so be it.

I have a rule about pregnancy, never talk about it unless prompted by the other party. Also, unless the baby is crowning right then and there, never assume a woman is pregnant or ask about it.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Jesus, feed your idiot friend to a pack of rabid chinchillas.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Fartbox posted:

I've never heard any woman appreciate dick picks in my entire life

People will do things when intimate with someone that they don't do with random strangers. Strange but true.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Dienes posted:

Its a disrespectful sign to give you, so its not disrespectful to refuse to hang it up.

With Christmas around the corner, I sincerely hope OP sends out Christmas cards signed THE SMITH FAMILY.

r/relationships: "She's got this "Johnson-Pride" which is great.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

welcome to hell posted:

I (26M) found out the girl I like (29F) spent time in jail for stabbing her ex.

Ah, dating Mediterranean women are we? An adventure awaits.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Grape posted:

Ah, dating Mediterranean women are we? An adventure awaits.

Women of all backgrounds are capable of violence.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my boss that personality tests are bullshit?

So. The company that I work for is OBSESSED with a certain type of personality test (think Myers-Briggs, but instead of 16 possible "types" there are 34 possible "strengths," and each person has a unique order of the 34 strengths). What do I mean by obsessed? Had all 35 employees take it about three years ago, have incorporated the results into *literally* every single monthly all-staff meeting since, have a "team-building" activity each month based on the results, two years ago Christmas gift from the company was personalized plaques for each of us that listed our top five strengths. Obsessed.

Personally, I think that such personality tests are hot. steamy. bullshit. (People answer the questions based upon how they see themselves, so OF COURSE the results of the test end up "dEsCribinG mE eXaCtlY!!" Uuuugh.) However, I completely understand that part of being an adult and being in the working world is sometimes sucking it up and doing things that you don't necessarily believe in or want to do. As such, I have dutifully participated, taking the test, participating in the monthly activities, displaying my personalized plaque on my desk, etc., and never saying a bad word about it.

However. This month's monthly all-staff meeting was last week. Myself and a coworker were on a conference call that cut into the meeting time, so we arrived late (we had permission from our respective bosses to arrive late). When we arrived, the staff was already engaged in this month's activity: all of the employees were split into four groups. My boss came over to explain the groups to myself and coworker: apparently one was the circle group, one was the square group, one was the triangle group, and one was the squiggle group--we were meant to choose a group based upon which shape we most identified with.

It must have shown on my face how ridiculous I thought it was to identify with a shape, or to choose a shape, or how on earth this linked in with the 34 strengths. My boss basically said, "Just pick one." I took it to mean that maybe she thought this was a bit silly too, but that she was telling me to just pick a shape group at random so that we could get through the activity and get back to our workday, which is what I did.

However, the next day, my boss pulled me into her office to discuss, and turned this into a whole thing. I decided to just be honest with her that I doubted the validity of the test in the first place, and that I felt our company's use of it had run its course. She told me that it was inappropriate for me to only to express such views but to even hold them in the first place, in other words that I'm TA.

tl;dr: Company is obsessed with personality test, I told boss I was over it, AITA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my boss that personality tests are bullshit?

:rolleyes: typical squiggle-shape personality