Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm having a good time so far with Fallen Order.

There's been some stuttering and the game frozen completely once on me. Might just be that my PC is to old. Both CPU and GPU are at 100% even at the lowest settings.

Also did they really name the settings Medium, High, and Epic? Like com'n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

The game does stutter whenever it loads a new area, which is about every couple minutes, and it annoys me every time.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
How is performance on the Xbox One S at the moment? I'm thinking about picking up the new Jedi Fallen Order bundle to replace an aging Xbox 360.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I ended up throwing in the towel on getting it to work on my laptop. In my case it was CPU bound as changing the graphics from medium to epic didn't really affect the fps much at all. The framerate is an issue on ps4 pro also. I figured as long as the gameplay feels consistent then a locked 30fps would be ideal. The game feels choppy on ps4 even at 30fps, it actually feels better in the performance mode which lets the framerate bounce all over the place. For some reason the fights with the big frogs on the first planet feel choppy no matter what. Those enemies feel difficult because the timing on blocks or dodges is so unpredictable with a bad framerate.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

OhFunny posted:

I'm having a good time so far with Fallen Order.

There's been some stuttering and the game frozen completely once on me. Might just be that my PC is to old. Both CPU and GPU are at 100% even at the lowest settings.

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

The game does stutter whenever it loads a new area, which is about every couple minutes, and it annoys me every time.

I never had any loading issues at all, for what it's worth. Running off an SSD on PC, are you both doing the same?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Fuzz posted:

I never had any loading issues at all, for what it's worth. Running off an SSD on PC, are you both doing the same?

Getting stutters on some loading areas as well with the game running off of a Samsung 970 Pro NVMe

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

OhFunny posted:

I mean yeah it's a bit :smug: from Epics side (it's the UE4 default), but on the other hand many devs don't change it so it's always clear that "epic" is the max. setting if you played 2 differnt UE4 games with that. It can be pretty annoying going to the options to find "high, hightest, ultra" hidden at 2/3rds of the options and still going back to "low" to see if "ultra" now actually was the highest available. It's a know thing for devs but very few pay attention/have the ressources and/or time for small details like this so Epics approach actually takes work away there which is good overall.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Control Volume posted:

7 hours in and I just learned the map tells you how many chests are in a specific area
Wait-what?!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

Yeah, honestly some part of me was disappointed there were just 2 Inquisitors when that would've been perfect to have a freakshow boss squad of Inquisitors for you to fight.

Or at the very least, getting to see the Grand Inquisitor before we escalate to Vader. Jason Isaacs improves things by association.

Madurai fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 25, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It also tells you if that specific area of the map holds a secret (which is a force/life essence or another stim). Lower left of the map screen.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Madurai posted:

Or at the very least, getting to see the Grand Inquisitor before we escalate to Vader. Jason Isaacs improves things by association.

Whoa, spoiler that poo poo hotshot!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

AndyElusive posted:

Whoa, spoiler that poo poo hotshot!

Youtube spoilered me on the same thing lol.

Thanks youtube for shoving "What happens if you REFUSE to RUN from Vader" and "Summit1g reacts to INTENSE Vader scene" into my feed apropos of nothing.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Yeah. I have the game installed on a SSD.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Please spoiler all mentions of that scene y'all, it was amazing going into it blind and I don't want that experience messed with for others.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Quick, everyone quote the post with the spoiler in it so they know to edit it after you quote it!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ending that moment really is great. Hearing vader’s breathing out of nowhere had me thinking “oh no this is bullshit I have 1 stim fuckfuckfuck. A+ design

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Please spoiler all mentions of that scene y'all, it was amazing going into it blind and I don't want that experience messed with for others.

Too late, now I'm gonna be expecting him around every corner.

Thanks for ruining Jedi Fallen Order, Something Awful user Madurai.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Kylo Ren kills his father, Han Solo.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

I expected him around every corner as soon as Cere mentioned the "darkness swallowing everything" behind the Inquisition in the first act. I was jumping at every goddamn background noise.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AndyElusive posted:

My mind was still on a discussion of Jack Baker bursting through walls to get you in RE7 when I read this, and now I'm forever disappointed he's not the crossover villain here.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Now I'm imagining a certain person stalking you on every world a la Mr X

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

quote:

Release notes
  • There was an issue that would sometimes cause BD-1 to turn invisible after completing Bogano. This has been fixed and everyone’s favourite droid will now be visible.

• The Force bar has had its colour switched, making it easier to read.

• You will no longer be able to glitch through a wall on Ilum.

• An issue that caused the Spire of Miktrull from being raised has been fixed.

• A missing bridge on Dathomir has been located, no longer blocking game progress.

• Spheres can no longer get stuck in the wall within the Tomb of Eilram.

• An issue preventing players from leaving the tomb on Dathomir has been addressed.

• Fixed an issue that was preventing players from completing the Force Push tutorial.

• Players can no longer bypass a specific area on Dathomir that requires double jump.

• BD-1 will no longer disappear during a later section of the game.

• Talking to BD-1 during the AT-AT scene on Kashyyyk will no longer break the scene.

• There was an issue which prevented players from locating the double bladed lightsaber on Dathomir, this has been addressed.

• Improved collision on Bogano.

• Improved collision on Ilum.

• Fixed an issue which would cause the player to die at the same time as another [spoiler] character.

• Fixed an issue which would cause parts of the level to become affected by lightsaber throws during one of the fights with [spoiler].

• Fixed an issue where players could become stuck on Dathomir after defeating [spoiler].

• Fixed an issue from occurring where a character would not appear on Dathomir, and thus preventing players from progressing.

• An issue preventing players from completing a sphere puzzle on Zeffo has been addressed.

Patch with bug fixes rolled out today on PC. Should follow soon on consoles.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Finished this game last night with 29/39 cheevos, so here are some spoiled :words: if anyone cares to read them:

The game was better than I was expecting, but it just doesn't feel quite finished. Cal, Cere, and even Eno Cordova all have infinitely more going on than Greez or the Nightmaiden. It first became apparent after I received a transmission saying "come back to the ship!" and immediately got picked up by bounty hunters. By this point in the game, I think I had spoken to Greez maybe twice total. When I busted out, Greez had this weird heart-to-heart chat about how Cere and Cal are the only two things he's got in life and it was incredibly awkward to sit through because I'd only heard him say maybe eight sentences total. Furthermore, I never actually got to find out what was going on at the ship and no one ever mentioned what I missed. They just busted me out of prison without saying anything about the situation. Later, when the Nightmaiden joined the crew, I had already fully explored all of the planets so there wasn't anything to do but continue on with the story. Literally the only thing she said to Cal outside of a cutscene was something like "shouldn't you be doing something, Jedi?" when I walked by her once on the ship. The last couple cutscenes with her were super weird too because it's like there's this long, detailed rapport between the characters, but, as far as I can tell, she didn't bring anything to the party other than "I can hide the ship" and "I can dive in water to save Cal." There are other bits in there of weirdness like the underwater crates shaking despite BD-1 not jumping inside them. I fell off the map several times because some edges I tried grabbing just bounced me off like a bumper from Sonic the Hedgehog. During the Jedi Temple puzzle, I managed to fling myself off the rope through the ice, which may have resulted in a softlocked game/broken save if I had saved at the meditation point. I stopped using the lock-on camera 2 hours into the game because I'd jump into a group of enemies and the camera would constantly screw me over, or I'd try rotating the camera while locked on which would then switch, without fail, to the least convenient target. This makes the kick entirely worthless because you have to be locked on to use it.

A frustratingly missing feature is no fast travel to the ship. I get that they don't want you just warping from meditation point to point, but it sucked so hard missing 4% of an area or one secret on the rear end end of a planet because it becomes a 45 minute quest to go find it and walk back instead of moving on with the game. All the backtracking artificially increases the length of the game in the worst way. Furthermore, the game could have done with half as many collectibles and still been about as customizable. A lot of the clothing options in particular are just various shades of brown. Saber customization is a bit better but the model is only big enough to see the detail when it is sitting on a table. I incorrectly assumed there were gonna be parts where your saber got knocked out and you'd have to pull it back to you. This leaves the table and maybe three mid-fight cutscenes as the only places where you can really see how intricate the models are.

My last big gripe is regarding the double saber combo that gets added after Ilum. What a bunch of hot garbage. I didn't have any problems running out of force power until that came along because all of a sudden I am hitting X while blocking and oops there goes half the bar. Even with 100% of the force-increasing pickups, you can use that combo twice and maybe a weak push before all force is gone. That means I can either sit there and whack at someone who has their guard up to build up more force or use a stim at full health to restore it. Neither option is good. I wish double saber was just a third stance instead of one attack that eats up force in nearly ever fight because I hit X before completely depressing LB.

Now for the good stuff: story was pretty decent. Character models look incredible. I think Greez probably has one of the best models I've seen rendered in real-time. DW absolutely kills it as Cere from start to finish. Voice acting is top-notch, with the rare exception of a few of Cal's lines. I can't choose red hair (or if I can, it's ketchup red) in most games with a character creator so it's weird to have my hair color represented by the main character. Nintendo, in particular, is bad about only allowing brown/blonde/black. This is the first Star Wars game I have really enjoyed since Knights of the Old Republic II, so $15 seems like a steal. Then again, I paid $50 for Super Star Wars on the SNES and it takes about 45 minutes to beat, so there's something about the "no way this is worth $60" crowd that I just can't relate to. Maybe I would feel differently if I had paid $60 for it, so thanks EA for Origin Premier.

Audio should not be overlooked. The soundtrack and sound effects are excellent. BD-1 has the best droid sounds since the original trilogy. Might also be the first time I've heard a piece of music and mistakenly thought it was scored by Williams. Good, good stuff all around. Makes me with I had a better audio setup.

Technical and length issues aside, Fallen Order is a great game and I'm glad Respawn managed to deliver. Sucks that it's UE4 and runs like rear end on spinning drives. Pouring a ruby bliel for my homies on HDDs.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I feel like I’m gonna need to re-read this thread after I finish the game.

I just got my lightsaber fixed so I assume I’m on the home stretch.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

hobbesmaster posted:

Ending spoiler I think Vader serves an important role at the end of the game as establishing exactly how powerful you actually are. You're tearing up all these inquisitors but guess what, they were just half trained Padawans like yourself.

Well, I guess I forgot about crazy former Jedi on Dathomir with that but hes clearly not in control so lets go with that.

this vader is a whole other level of monster. the crazy jedi is basically Kurtz or some poo poo finally breaking and becoming a weird monster and as stated, your already.

hobbesmaster posted:

Ending that moment really is great. Hearing vader’s breathing out of nowhere had me thinking “oh no this is bullshit I have 1 stim fuckfuckfuck. A+ design

yeah. the loving legit panic attack shiver with the second sister also did that for me.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Cal's response to Vader telling him it would be wise for him to surrender with a "Probably." did more for his character than most of the rest of the game. Better late than never I guess!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

moosecow333 posted:

I feel like I’m gonna need to re-read this thread after I finish the game.

I just got my lightsaber fixed so I assume I’m on the home stretch.

I would suggest doing any cleanup you plan to do before progressing the plot. Everything from that point on flows such that even if it's not technically a point of no return it's really going to screw with the momentum to go look for ponchos.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished the game on Jedi Master.

I had no clue that fight against Trilla was the end boss. I figured there would be at least another confrontation with the Ninth Sister before then. Also, I had Vader spoiled by this thread so I wasn't as shocked to hear his breathing as players who went in cold, which was fine. No regerts. The ending was still pretty dope regardless. I did not want to fight Vader. Like at all. I was expecting another 25 hours of gameplay so my only disappointment is that it wasn't longer because just as I started to like everyone in the Mantis crew the credits rolled. Still, game was very good. I'm down for the inevitable sequels.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I do wish that we got more time with Nightsister Merrin. She's wonderfully sassy when she's not trying to murder you.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

I do wish that we got more time with Nightsister Merrin. She's wonderfully sassy when she's not trying to murder you.

That's very true, but also prime sequel character material.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's very true, but also prime sequel character material.

Yeah that's what I figured. Definitely gonna be a romance interest.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I hope they make a sequel to this and it's good.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It kinda sucks that Disney's EU is locked up so tight because there really needs to be a Force Unleashed-style DLC where you become Inquisitor Cal and go on a quest to take high-value prospects from the Jedi holocron who are being guarded by former Jedi Masters.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

JBP posted:

I hope they make a sequel to this and it's good.

I sure hope they get to, I don't really know much context for the sales numbers. But it'd be a slam dunk, they have so much of the ground work done that a sequel could easily be GOTY material by mostly just tuning out the issues with this one, rather than starting pretty much from scratch like this time around.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I sure hope they get to, I don't really know much context for the sales numbers. But it'd be a slam dunk, they have so much of the ground work done that a sequel could easily be GOTY material by mostly just tuning out the issues with this one, rather than starting pretty much from scratch like this time around.

If this game had another six months it'd be hard in the goty zone. That's my problem with it. It needed more time in the oven on some basic gameplay stuff, but also (probably more importantly given I find this poo poo fun) the collectable outfits and the exploration aspects of the game. If they just aped sekiro's world design for the next game that'd be perfect for me. I don't think the backtracking adds much but if they used some more esoteric design without pushing it to From territory and took a couple of risks I'd be so on board.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I love this game but yeah just a bit more time to bake would have made it incredible.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

McSpanky posted:

It kinda sucks that Disney's EU is locked up so tight because there really needs to be a Force Unleashed-style DLC where you become Inquisitor Cal and go on a quest to take high-value prospects from the Jedi holocron who are being guarded by former Jedi Masters.

Two words: force vision.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/saikocat/status/1197999834608865281

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The one thing that baffles me is the bizarre commitment to the sliding sections

Every time it happens I just think "now THIS is pod racing!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Who knows how much sodium laterons need